Mafia Discussion

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: It... it worked...

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby GforGoomba » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Cedur wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:09 pm
this can be talked about and advice can be given after the game.
Why

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:11 pm

GforGoomba wrote:
Cedur wrote:
this can be talked about and advice can be given after the game.
Why
Because we can't give hints during the game.

So to defend yourself, you defend yourself

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm

The game won't be starting the next game until around July 20th. After the way the last game was played, it was discussed among the Game Masters that the gameplay was pretty careless and people are too much just taking it for granted and going through the motions, which can really negatively affect the experience of other players. For this reason we decided that the next game should be postponed for at least 2-3 weeks. Please hold tight. Although the coming game could've started a while ago, we believe it is necessary to take a break. Please consider when joining if you really want to play or just hang around, use RNG, and bandwagon. Mafia is a great game but if you're not going to put in an effort and contribute, please leave a space so that others can get the most out of it. Thanks and see you in just over a week for the next Mafia game

erkyp3rky
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly theloaflord

Postby erkyp3rky » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:16 am

PixelPest wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm
The game won't be starting the next game until around July 20th. After the way the last game was played, it was discussed among the Game Masters that the gameplay was pretty careless and people are too much just taking it for granted and going through the motions, which can really negatively affect the experience of other players. For this reason we decided that the next game should be postponed for at least 2-3 weeks. Please hold tight. Although the coming game could've started a while ago, we believe it is necessary to take a break. Please consider when joining if you really want to play or just hang around, use RNG, and bandwagon. Mafia is a great game but if you're not going to put in an effort and contribute, please leave a space so that others can get the most out of it. Thanks and see you in just over a week for the next Mafia game
I agree. Barely anyone tried and it was just pointing fingers blindly at people who barely stepped out of line.

On the flipside, here's a nice little joke summary of the previous Mafia game, M52:

HOW DARE YOU JUMP ON A BANDWAGON LAST, YOU MAFIA SCUM!
*everyone kills 'mafia scum'*
*actually townie*
*another townie brings logic into mix*
MAFIA SCUM MAFIA SCUM MAFIA SCUM
*everyone kills 'mafia scum'
*actually townie*
*repeat*

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:31 pm

So basically the GMs have agreed that the next game will take place late October as a Hallowe'en special of sorts. Based on how the last few games played out we believe we need a bit of a break instead of continuing games through to the end of the summer as planned, and know everyone starts to get busier come September, so we will resume the idea of special event sort of games every so often starting in late October

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:06 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:31 pm
So basically the GMs have agreed that the next game will take place late October as a Hallowe'en special of sorts. Based on how the last few games played out we believe we need a bit of a break instead of continuing games through to the end of the summer as planned, and know everyone starts to get busier come September, so we will resume the idea of special event sort of games every so often starting in late October
YES THANK YOU now i don't have to rejoin the server

116taj
Spike
Spike

Postby 116taj » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:06 pm
PixelPest wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:31 pm
YES THANK YOU now i don't have to rejoin the server
lol same

116taj
Spike
Spike

Postby 116taj » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:54 am

also shouldnt this be archived until october since it wont be used until then?

GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby GforGoomba » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:00 am

I want to know how to avoid suspicion

erkyp3rky
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly theloaflord

Postby erkyp3rky » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:46 am

GforGoomba wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:00 am
Be quiet. No, not as in shut up, but just try and keep your head down. Not too much either. Get the perfect balance of involvement and you'll be fine. And if you're really not feeling risky, do not be a leader. Leaders are risky because they're the ones who spit out the info, and sometimes it can be controversial.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 am

The town needs leaders, not to be blindly followed but to get the process of elimination along, of course ideally these are the confirmed townspeople. Anyone else is not discouraged to play an active role, inactivity sucks and also sometimes comes up as a lynching reason, but on the other side there's always at least one mafia member who also assumes a ringleadership role.

There's no foolproof way to make yourself look innocent, sometimes focus turns against you when people pretend they can get information out of lynching you, it's just a common mislynch like many others.

xDestroy
Nipper
Nipper

Postby xDestroy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:42 am

TheLoafLord wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:46 am
GforGoomba wrote:
Be quiet. No, not as in shut up, but just try and keep your head down. Not too much either. Get the perfect balance of involvement and you'll be fine. And if you're really not feeling risky, do not be a leader. Leaders are risky because they're the ones who spit out the info, and sometimes it can be controversial.
You shouldn't just tell people to have no opinion because there could be a chance someone does not agree with your opinion.
You have to go out and vote on suspicions sometimes, doing nothing only helps the scum.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:51 am

xDestroy wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:42 am
TheLoafLord wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:46 am
GforGoomba wrote:
You shouldn't just tell people to have no opinion because there could be a chance someone does not agree with your opinion.
Wrong. M52 showed that having an opinion will result in you being lynched.

zioy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zioy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:49 am

None of this advice is good advice lol

If you don't want to be suspicious, then you want to act like you're trying to help the town. Be constructive towards the game, share suspicions that aren't blatantly disprovable, cast lynch votes that aren't just a bandwagon vote with no explanation (we're all guilty of this one), ask people questions about their thoughts on things.

You don't want to post super often, but when you do post you want it to have content and not just fluff. Don't be afraid to share your thoughts, but also use your brain before you throw suspicions out there. I say this because we mislynched Taycamgame last game because he threw out a suspicion against me that literally made no sense in the context of the game. If he hadn't committed that brain fart, we would've been more likely to lynch one of the actual bad guys that day and not just a townie who didn't think before they spoke.

GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby GforGoomba » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:26 pm

krazykat wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:49 am
None of this advice is good advice lol

If you don't want to be suspicious, then you want to act like you're trying to help the town. Be constructive towards the game, share suspicions that aren't blatantly disprovable, cast lynch votes that aren't just a bandwagon vote with no explanation (we're all guilty of this one), ask people questions about their thoughts on things.

You don't want to post super often, but when you do post you want it to have content and not just fluff. Don't be afraid to share your thoughts, but also use your brain before you throw suspicions out there. I say this because we mislynched Taycamgame last game because he threw out a suspicion against me that literally made no sense in the context of the game. If he hadn't committed that brain fart, we would've been more likely to lynch one of the actual bad guys that day and not just a townie who didn't think before they spoke.
Thank you, this will be my sig.

zioy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zioy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Glad I could be of help, a few of the other advice posts sorta gave me insight into why people have been playing kinda badly as of late.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:35 pm

how in particular? do you mean the D1 plays? if so, how to do better, other than the lack of gameplay and courage from earlier games?

zioy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zioy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:51 pm

Your post wasn't advice per se, just an opinion on town and mafia members taking leadership. The small bit about "you can't affect how people see you" was kinda true but also not really what GfG was looking for.

I was mainly referring to LoafLord's post that makes it seem like activity level is the sole contributor to how suspicious or non-suspicious you are. xDestroy made a good point about voicing your own, independent suspicions but also kinda fell into the activity trap a bit as well.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:56 pm

If GforGoomba is looking for "how can I avoid to be lynched", well that can't be answered, the tides can turn against you without you doing much wrong (not only in early days), that's what I meant to express.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Very similar to what krazykat said, I find it's best to just act pro-Town no matter what your role is, and in a genuine manner too, if you want to survive. This means not being defensive or impulsive and just staying calm, even when someone accuses you of something. The funny thing is, especially on D1/D2 if you're accused of being Mafia by one person, even if they cast a vote on you, don't immediately get defensive and definitely don't vote them just because they voted you. Often you don't even need to defend yourself. Just give a suggestion of another player and give a believable reason as to why they should be Lynched (can even by completely superficial in these first few phases but as long as you sound confident and composed people won't really care). Also don't be afraid to vote your fellow Mafia members if it comes down to gaining the Town's trust, especially if someone has a lead that would be difficult to refute; if someone has somewhat solid proof that a certain player is Mafia, even if you're Mafia, go with it. Don't try to defend them--that's their job. Sometimes I've actually given fellow Mafia members advice in PM though as to how they might want to defend themselves as you should actually care about your team surviving; you just can't show it. Also if it's irrefutable evidence instead of bandwagonning also try to find more evidence (even if superficial) to contribute to reasons that person should be Lynched

Return to “Mafia”