Mafia Discussion

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Cedur » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:10 am

It's been a pattern to be very careful with voting, and someone who makes a "completely baseless" vote is only in jeopardy to die themselves. We're not getting anywhere with this.

Mafiascum is known as a professional place, and they unanimously propagate random votes and voting / bandwagoning rampages. This is how the first posts of a game a la Mafiascum could look like (usernames originating from M42 N1 posts):
<Electriking> oh yeah Witchking666
<Witchking666> hi thehelmetguy1
<RSuper> *squirm* I'll just go with Cedur
<Sanct> oh well glitch4
<Yoshi021> okay glitch4
<MosaicMario> what's with my bad luck? I fault Cedur
<glitch4> Sanct and witchking are totally mafia so Sanct
<Cedur> 116tay and 8flight for usernames starting with numbers
<RandomNewPlayer> What?? Why would you vote them for that?
<Yoshi021> well, I've made up my mind. vote Witchking666
and at this point, you could conclude (copypasta'd from a post at MafiaScum):
The game just began in the so-called "random voting stage" (RVS.) This is a phase wherein players vote random other players for whatever inane reasons. None of it is to be taken seriously. The purpose of this phase is to get discussion going: at the beginning of the game, there is not enough information to make any kind of sensible decision; if enough things are said, a few scumtells may surface which may lead to the end of the RVS and the start of serious discussion.

An example of a possible scumtell that just surfaced: why did RandomNewPlayer take the posts seemingly seriously? Is he just unfamiliar with the process, or did him feeling threatened because he actually was Mafia form a contributing factor?
We should at least try to orientate ourselves a bit towards this direction to stop the passive playing. Otherwise it takes too long to find out which player takes which positions.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:44 pm

I totally agree that people need to be more willing to vote. Voting shouldn't be seen as suspicious; even if the target seems like a bad one, it's far better than a KITB.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 am

Been a while since I've died early, FEELS GREAT AFTER MY FIRST GAME BACK :mrgreen:

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:39 am

Zeldamaster12 wrote:Been a while since I've died early, FEELS GREAT AFTER MY FIRST GAME BACK :mrgreen:
You didn't get rng lynched day one shut up >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:23 am

Zeldamaster12 wrote:Been a while since I've died early, FEELS GREAT AFTER MY FIRST GAME BACK :mrgreen:
join s2 and take revenge upon your enemies

(or don't, if you'd rather not)

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Okay, here's something I want to bring up, and it's about our inclusion of side games, these things are single handingly what's killing mafia in here. Notice that the severe levels if inactivity came in right when they were introduced, I personally believe we should remove them. I even made a poll about it.

http://www.strawpoll.me/14022596

So, I'd like people to vote on this poll and discuss what you think we should do about this.

Nanaya
Phanto
Phanto
Flair: When's Mafia

Postby Nanaya » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:47 pm

I think they should have better implemented tbh, (also fourms are back up for me bois)
I think what is killing mafia is not how these were implemented, but the fact is that activity for mafia is just punishments, no rewards of sorts. If something like that was implemented in someway shape or fourm it might boost activity. Correct me if I am wrong, but its just a wayside thought.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Nanaya Jacob wrote:the fact is that activity for mafia is just punishments, no rewards of sorts.
Could you explain what you mean by this? I'm not really understanding it.

Nanaya
Phanto
Phanto
Flair: When's Mafia

Postby Nanaya » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:17 pm

Well, no one wants to do something for punishments, i think their should be a reward of sorts for good activity or something. I can't think of anything well good, maybe a rank, color? nah that'd be too much. Maybe a host a game chance i dont know, its not much of my choice or ideas, its really meant to be in the hands of you folks

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Nanaya Jacob wrote:Well, no one wants to do something for punishments, i think their should be a reward of sorts for good activity or something. I can't think of anything well good, maybe a rank, color? nah that'd be too much. Maybe a host a game chance i dont know, its not much of my choice or ideas, its really meant to be in the hands of you folks
After how long I have been trying to host a game, I would like that.

116taj
Spike
Spike

Postby 116taj » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Nanaya Jacob wrote:Well, no one wants to do something for punishments, i think their should be a reward of sorts for good activity or something. I can't think of anything well good, maybe a rank, color? nah that'd be too much. Maybe a host a game chance i dont know, its not much of my choice or ideas, its really meant to be in the hands of you folks
If you could get the ranks to stay in the mafia subforum, it would be pretty cool. And how your rank would increase is the numbers of games where you were active that you played (sidegames would only count if you got MVP)

For example:

0 games played: No rank
1 game: Mafia Noob
3 games: Mafia Rookie
5 games: Mafia Player
10 games: Mafia Veteran

Maybe some ranks for playing multiple games in a row

5 games in a row:
Mafia Regular
10 games:
Mafia Addict

these ranks could be changed, just some ideas.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:10 pm

If it ever becomes possible to bring back medals we could have some related to mafia

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:54 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:If it ever becomes possible to bring back medals we could have some related to mafia
We did have some actually

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:54 pm

116taj wrote:
If you could get the ranks to stay in the mafia subforum, it would be pretty cool. And how your rank would increase is the numbers of games where you were active that you played (sidegames would only count if you got MVP)

For example:

5 games in a row:
Mafia Regular
10 games:
Mafia Addict

What about my 20 consecutive active games where I was on the winning side 12 times?

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Postby Danny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:36 am

What about when I was gamemaster?

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:11 am

116taj wrote:

For example:

5 games in a row:
Mafia Regular
10 games:
Mafia Addict

Chimig in to say... why? Mafia really doesn't need its own ranks and if people only play for the sake of those ranks it doesnt fix any of the bad habits people take issue with.

116taj
Spike
Spike

Postby 116taj » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:37 am

Spinda wrote:
116taj wrote:

For example:

5 games in a row:
Mafia Regular
10 games:
Mafia Addict

Chimig in to say... why? Mafia really doesn't need its own ranks and if people only play for the sake of those ranks it doesnt fix any of the bad habits people take issue with.
It was a idea and the main problem with mafia right now is the large amounts of inactivity in games. This would give a incentive to play Mafia and get some cool ranks that you could show in the forum and also attract new players as well.

116taj
Spike
Spike

Postby 116taj » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:42 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
116taj wrote:

For example:

5 games in a row:
Mafia Regular
10 games:
Mafia Addict

What about my 20 consecutive active games where I was on the winning side 12 times?
We could also have win streak ranks too.
3 wins: Mafia Winner
5 wins: Mafia Master
10 wins: Mafia Legend
25 wins: Mafia God
Danny wrote:What about when I was gamemaster?
Not sure if you would get anything because the mods don't get a special rank for previously being a mod and game masters are basically mods for mafia so...

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 am

this is really pointless. Not only will noone acquire 10 wins in a row (loool), but being called a master or legend for that is also uncalled for, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I acknowledge that sidegames serve no purpose at this point, and I'm angry about everyone letting them die because it should have been an easy alternative to get a hosting, and hence interesting for the 10+ people out here who are very unlikely to win a poll the normal way.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Postby Danny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:57 pm

I was being sarcastic.

Return to “Mafia”