TGCA REMAKE! (New screenshot + July trailer!!!)

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

TGCA REMAKE! (New screenshot + July trailer!!!)

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:32 am

~ THE GREAT CASTLE ADVENTURE REMAKE ~
A project by Linik and DarkDragon94.

Before you question this for copyright and stealing off krazykoopa, he gave me permission to do this.

So yeah, got totally bored, and this idea flew into my head after I played through one of my favourite episodes, TGCA, again, for the first time in forever (Frozen references ftw!) and since I now have nothing to do at the moment, I have taken it into my hands to remake this classic episode. It is still going to remain true to the original TGCA and it's going to incorporate all the same levels from that, and the same plotline involving collecting stars but it will incorporate all the new elements that didn't exist back in 1.1.2, such as custom graphics, different player characters and modified NPCs using NPC codes. All the levels will retain their themes from the original episode but will be different to accommodate the new features. More stars and levels will be added as well, and some levels will be revamped completely, such as the hub.

There is also a special surprise revealed after all the stars have been collected! Please do not spoil it!

Screenshots (there's a huge list of 'em!)
Spoiler: show
(Third!) Official trailer (by Linik)

(In case you're wondering, krazykat did a trailer for this before I took over)
Last edited by HeroLinik on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:53 am, edited 55 times in total.

glitch4
Banned

Re: The Great Castle Adventure REMAKE!

Postby glitch4 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:32 am

By the way , this remake could be even better than old version , because in there , there's lots of cutoffs , flat design and sh*tty gameplay(well , almost , but actually this was made before 2010(or iunno)).

Zant
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Zant » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Looks pretty cool so far!

krazykoopa
Swooper
Swooper

Postby krazykoopa » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:46 pm

Looks great so far! I can't wait to see how this turns out. Having NGCA and TGCA Remake side by side would be like a dream come true.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Man, beat me to it.

Just please let me do Invasion 2 and Princess Cliche and Great Empire (with Knux's permission).

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Murphmario wrote:Man, beat me to it.

Just please let me do Invasion 2 and Princess Cliche and Great Empire (with Knux's permission).
If they're Redigit's episodes, then you can just go ahead and do it. If they're someone else's, then you will have to ask permission to do it.

Kyo
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Kyo » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:33 am

This sounds really promising and looks great as well. I'll definitely keep an eye on this. Keep it up!
LitDude wrote:By the way , this remake could be even better than old version , because in there , there's lots of cutoffs , flat design and sh*tty gameplay(well , almost , but actually this was made before 2010(or iunno)).
It really isn't difficult to surpass TGCA's quality with 1.3 and castlewars' level designing screens. Only those two screenshots are a proof he already surpassed the original.
Murphmario wrote:Just please let me do Invasion 2 and Princess Cliche and Great Empire (with Knux's permission).
Do you really think Knux made TI2 and Princess Cliche?

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (Pleasant Fields screenshots!)

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Kyo, thanks for the feedback. As of now, I've continued working on this, and I've just completed the first level, which those of you who have played the original TGCA should know is Pleasant Fields! Here's some screenshots of the completed level:

N.B: The star order has been changed at some points, such as here. Instead of having the player walk all the way to the end of the first room to enter the open doors, the first level is given to the player at the start of the castle, to make it easier.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:49 am

Okay I have an idea. Make the player walk through Bowser's Castle the first time, but afterwards have a door that skips it for one star.

And, well, this project looks good. It looks like any self-respecting project these days. But IMO that's kind of the problem. TGCA, in my memories, is.. kinda SUPPOSED to have flat ground filling, no slopes, and few BGOs. What I'm saying is it kinda ruins the "classic" feeling, you know? Now it sort of just looks like any other episode. If I were you I'd retitle this "Return To The Great Castle Adventure" or something.

Kyo
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Kyo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:12 am

Unless the way to the castle takes a minute, that won't be necessary.

It's true that what makes TGCA to an enjoyable episode is that classic atmosphere, but that doesn't mean SMSE and Mario Classic are garbage because they do not have this atmosphere.
-Old episodes satisfy nostalgia.
-New episodes live up to today's standards.
TGCA is an episode of the first category, and this episode is an equivalent to TGCA of the second category in form of a remake. It's a TGCA that you don't play for good memories, but to satisfy your current standards. That's why this episode promises to be something spectacular.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:49 am

-removed-
Last edited by HeroLinik on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Will the original TGCA have the same star progression, or will everything be already unlocked?

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:05 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:Will the original TGCA have the same star progression, or will everything be already unlocked?
For most of the time, yeah, the star progression will remain the same. However at the start only one level will be accessible - Pleasant Fields - which required 1 star to enter in the original TGCA (in the original it was Koopa Forest and Sunny Valley which the player could enter first, but here they require 3 stars and 1 star respectively).

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:19 pm

I meant, when you unlock the ORIGINAL TGCA in the secret room.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:35 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:I meant, when you unlock the ORIGINAL TGCA in the secret room.
At the end as soon as you find all the stars, yeah you do unlock the original TGCA. All levels will remain exactly as they have been, without any tweaks or fixes, but the number of stars needed to enter the courses will be affected by the star count in the new TGCA, and I've not decided how many stars will be in the new TGCA. It'll go like this: let's say there's 60 stars in the new TGCA, rather than 40. The entrance to, say, Pleasant Fields, for example, normally requires 1 star to enter, but here it will require 61. Castle of Despair will require 80 stars as opposed to the original 20, so it retains the original progression, and the reward room will require 100 stars, not 40. This means that all the rooms won't be unlocked from collecting stars from the new TGCA, and it'll play a bit like a post-game as well as an unlockable.
Last edited by bossedit8 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Signature

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (Boom Boom Fortress teaser screenshot!)

Postby HeroLinik » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Fans of this project as well as those of the original TGCA, I bring you yet another screenshot! This time, it's Boom Boom Fortress, the one in which you have to dodge a hail of Bullet Bills and other enemies as you cross the battlements of the fortress to reach Boom Boom's domain. I've revamped the level completely here and it's now a switch-based level involving the player has to go inside the fortress as well as cross the battlements in order to reach Boom Boom, so it functions more like a castle rather than an overworld level.

About the levels being revamped, yes, that is going to happen to many, if not all, of the levels. However they are still bound by the original levels from the original TGCA, so expect to see the same puzzles returning to the levels, yet in different settings, among the new ones!

Kyo
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Kyo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:36 pm

Looks pretty good. I'd prefer the pillars having visible endings, though.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:33 pm

I suggest making the bajillion Birdos spit different projectiles!

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:43 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:I suggest making the bajillion Birdos spit different projectiles!
Haha, yeah. I'm thinking about replacing the sheer number of Birdos with other bosses such as Mother Brain. Having a Mother Brain in the Cave Waves level will be really cool. I might keep the odd Birdo or two, but have it spit out Birdo projectiles instead of eggs, like in ToB6.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:45 pm

I meant having Birdo spit poison mushrooms or shy guys.

Return to “Projects”