Whispy Woods Boss Fight (Version 2.1 update!)

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Strawzzboy64

Re: Whispy Woods Boss Fight (Version 2.1 update!)

Postby Strawzzboy64 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Wow, whoops. Thanks for the heads up Murphmario, should be fixed now.

EDIT:
GLuigiX wrote:
Strawzzboy64 wrote:@GLuigiX No. The sprites are from Kirby Super Star (SNES). I got the ripped sprites from Spriter's Resource. Also the mspaint version was more to have a quick mockup for the battle. Adding in the custom sprites took a surprisingly long time...

Haha, I feel you, I did a rip of Flappy Bird sprites yesterday and it literally took all afternoon. The pain of a SMBX graphic editor :P
Man, it really can be a pain. Resizing everything (Whispy Woods face is so big), giving them the right npc codes, adjusting the hitboxes, just in general getting them to work in-game... Yeah, the results are totally worth it though.
Last edited by aero on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post.

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:17 pm

I'm actually really excited to review this I just played it wow.

Whispy Woods Boss Fight

GFX: 10/10

The graphics went from awkward to AMAZING in literally only 1.1 versions. I'm really impressed with the work that went into this boss fight.
Of course everything is in Kirby Super Star gfx, and it looks great! The apples are a bit big though, but that's nothing major. I admire the animation of Whispy Wood itself, and the background too!!
There is really nothing negative I have to say about these graphics, they fit, they work, 10/10!

Music:

I'm not actually rating the music this time, because there really was only one option on what to put as music for this boss fight, and the creator went with this option. (the right one)

NPCs: 9/10

Well, Whistpy Woods is a Mother Brain in disguise, who'd have known. :P
But besides that, the creator reduced MB's health to 5 hits and made the boss actually pretty darn close to the original.
There are apples that fall and bounce off the ground, and there are apples that explode. Not what I'd call typical apples, but they are certainly right for this boss fight. The bouncing apples add a challenge, which makes the fight interesting, altough a bit easy because they always fall in the same pattern. (Oh well Whistpy Woods is the first boss, after all)
The apples are a bit big tough, almost as big as Mario, I understand that they're the exact apples from Kirby but it still bugs me a bit... :/

Gameplay: 9/10

Quick but fun! This may only be a boss fight, but it's a hella bossfight!
I like that the boss has a repeating pattern, the bouncing apples that add a challenge, the exploding one's to kill the tree and the little wind clouds the tree spits out.
The two power-ups also were enough to beat it.

Everything was made to make to make this bossfight as close as possible to the original, and I think that deserves a high rating like this.

Except for one thing: The apples continue falling after the boss is already defeated, but I know this is also fixable with LunaDLL. Change that, and you get the 10/10 ;)

9.3/10, moved to The Best. This much hard work to recreate a boss battle in SMBX deserves it.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Wait!

Before you go, I have a video:

OK, you can leave now.

Strawzzboy64

Postby Strawzzboy64 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:13 pm

So I revisit the smbx forums after like 2 months, and turns out my level's in "The Best" section now. Now there's a nice surprise :D

@ GLuigiX Thank you for taking the time to review my boss fight and for the kind words! You're right about the apples being really big, since SMBX generally uses 16x16 based sprites, while Kirby Super Star uses 24x24 sprites. I have some ideas for more KSS based work, and I'm thinking that I could rework npcs like the apples to be 16x16 size, but keep the bosses unchanged, since many bosses are huge anyway. As for the LunaDLL thing, do you know how to do that? I would love to fix those spawners!

@Murphmario Cool, thanks for playing/recording my level!

auto2112

Postby auto2112 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:26 am

Wait...this uses LunaDll?

Oh crap. I don't know how to use LunaDll. ;-;

DerpMcSkerp20

Postby DerpMcSkerp20 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:34 am

so does this replace the first boss?
jk XD
0/10 kirby joke

the style looks cool and im guessing you damage him by throwing apples at him, meh. i've seen more unique things of attacking bosses

if there was only more boss levels on smbx ;-;
anyways, this is a boss level so i give props to that (+5)
and the art style gives good nostalgia to the kirby games (+3) especially since i played kirby super star ultra, and kirby triple deluxe (and beated hard boss rush mode on k.t.d)
and let me guess: good kirby music (+1)

I rate 9/10

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:20 am

Well, this is a pretty good boss actually, way better than the first version, good work!

UnskilledPlayer
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby UnskilledPlayer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:45 pm

Holy crap! This is amazing! The best boss I've seen fit into SMBX! Awesome job m8, I r8 88/8!

Strawzzboy64

Postby Strawzzboy64 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:43 pm

I wonder if anyone found the hidden one-up yet...

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:50 am

MrSpoon
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MrSpoon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Geez, I rarely see anything Kirby related! This is quite nice!

Return to “The Best”