Paleozoic Plaza

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
$h31d0nc00p3rfan
Rex
Rex

Paleozoic Plaza

Postby $h31d0nc00p3rfan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:07 am

Begins as a tribute to the dinosaur-themed Super Mario World, while also eventually paying brief homage to Donkey Kong Country.
I tried a few different things for this level, namely the incorporation of the Cape Feather and Reznor Wheel by MrDoubleA.

And no, you won't need a Lens of Truth for the cave subsection.

UPDATE (4/22/24): Finally got the new build for SMBX2 and used it to update this level. As a result, certain graphics have been adjusted accordingly, including the Cape Feather and certain Piranha Plants.

Readme credits included. Hope the link works...

Last edited by $h31d0nc00p3rfan on Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Paleozoic Plaza

Postby Just_Thomas » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:02 pm

Quite nice level, I'm just missing some kind of theme in the form of specific opponents or obstacles. The few barrels were very few after all.
I am a shitty player and had no real problems with that level (normally I get my ass whopped).
$h31d0nc00p3rfan wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:33 pm
good call about the readme. Addressed accordingly.

I knew that the situation looked familiar to me...

edit: I did not see THAT first.. it was hidden within the content folder ... I haven`t said anything ...
Next time I would rather place it where the level file itself is, but well, that's complaining at the highest level.
The main thing is that you did it, that's the most important thing. I think certain people here also like it a lot more.

$h31d0nc00p3rfan
Rex
Rex

Postby $h31d0nc00p3rfan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:17 pm

Yeah, there were only a few because it's my first time putting a barrel cannon course in a level.

You have mostly dinosaur-themed enemies on the ground level - Rexes, Dino Rhinos, and Mini Rhinos (Dino-Torches). Then of course the short barrel cannon course in the sky. A tip: unlike in DKC, you're safe from taking damage from most enemies as long as you're still inside the barrel cannon. Anyone who's played the infamous DKC2 Lost Level "Klobber Karnage" knows how frustrating it was knowing you could still get hit by a Zinger inside its infamous lengthy barrel-cannon transport sections.

Don't immediately think you have no way out of the cave subsection with the single Star Coin btw...

And yes, I've learned since then, and incorporated readme-credits in each upload since - even updating the contents of my first level folder accordingly.

Once I'm more familiar with the barrel cannon settings, I might use them more frequently for an athletic course.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Just_Thomas » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:14 am

I meant it more in the sense that the elements in the level ensure that the difficulty or complexity of the gameplay increases as you progress, if you know what I mean. Former/Older Mario games did not do that as well (at least I feel that way), not before they "looked" at Rares DKC games they started to do that as well.

Return to “Levels”