Echoes of Subcon: A (Doki Doki) Tribute to Super Mario 2

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
$h31d0nc00p3rfan
Rex
Rex

Echoes of Subcon: A (Doki Doki) Tribute to Super Mario 2

Postby $h31d0nc00p3rfan » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:56 pm

So my first-ever level paid homage to some classic World 1-1s, and this one pays tribute to Super Mario Bros 2.
Based on SMB2's World 1, be sure to pluck each small patch of grass you find, use veggies (and other baddies) to defeat foes as you prepare to face Mouser in his tower.

Who knows, the graphics you find here could find some use in your own levels, too.
Readme credits for level included.

UPDATE (4/8/24): An extra ladder and extra pluckable bombs were added to the second cave section (Section 6) to reduce, if not prevent, softlocking.

Hope the link works...

Last edited by $h31d0nc00p3rfan on Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Echoes of Subcon: A (Doki Doki) Tribute to Super Mario 2

Postby Just_Thomas » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:44 am

$h31d0nc00p3rfan wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:56 pm
Side note: That Sonic Mania Angel Island palm tree really works if you know how to use it.
I'm not quite sure if I'm reading it right, but it seems to me that you took this rather "out of necessity"?
So let me draw your attention to this great tileset here:

SMB2 expanded GFX-Pack v8.1 by Sednaiur
Also JUST found that one, since it was on the list of new submissions:
https://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&pa ... 1&id=40759

Apart from that, your work doesn't look too bad in the pictures (stupid phrasing: the pics do look quite good). The link to the tileset is also just a hint, not a recommendation or anything like that.

$h31d0nc00p3rfan
Rex
Rex

Postby $h31d0nc00p3rfan » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:08 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:44 am
$h31d0nc00p3rfan wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:56 pm
Side note: That Sonic Mania Angel Island palm tree really works if you know how to use it.
I'm not quite sure if I'm reading it right, but it seems to me that you took this rather "out of necessity"?
So let me draw your attention to this great tileset here:

SMB2 expanded GFX-Pack v8.1 by Sednaiur
Also JUST found that one, since it was on the list of new submissions:
https://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&pa ... 1&id=40759

Apart from that, your work doesn't look too bad in the pictures (stupid phrasing: the pics do look quite good). The link to the tileset is also just a hint, not a recommendation or anything like that.
1. I hadn't even noticed that pack before you linked me to it. I'll keep it in mind if I decide to make another SMB2-themed level.
2. Yeah, perhaps I was being too braggy regarding the Angel Island palm tree. My apologies - I was trying to see if it worked with the level.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike

Postby Just_Thomas » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:08 am

$h31d0nc00p3rfan wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:08 pm
Everything is fine. You don't even need to apologize. It was only a non-binding recommendation.
If I were you, I wouldn't want to change anything now either.
I just spend too much time collecting and searching for resources. That's how I knew this stuff.

$h31d0nc00p3rfan
Rex
Rex

Postby $h31d0nc00p3rfan » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:37 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:08 am
$h31d0nc00p3rfan wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:08 pm
Everything is fine. You don't even need to apologize. It was only a non-binding recommendation.
If I were you, I wouldn't want to change anything now either.
I just spend too much time collecting and searching for resources. That's how I knew this stuff.
Collecting and searching for resources. You and I think alike in that regard, buddy. Let me know if you actually like (or dislike) the level itself.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike

Postby Just_Thomas » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:23 pm

$h31d0nc00p3rfan wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:37 pm
Collecting and searching for resources. You and I think alike in that regard, buddy. Let me know if you actually like (or dislike) the level itself.
To like collecting resources for levels is like a necessity.

I admit that I'm usually too lazy for that. For comparison: I created some levels for Mario Maker 2 and according to my profile ... I haven't played a single one of other people's levels (I'm not joking, I'm serious). Nothing to do with ego or anything, it's always been like that with me. Even back then, when I created maps for a 3D shooter, I hardly played anything and if I did, it was only for inspiration for my own levels. This often means that I'm just a bad player and many levels take an extremely long time to complete.
However, I did have a look at your level.
I think it's good that you're using bright colors. It all looks harmonious. But if you use animations on the grass (yes I know, the grass is from SMB1), the flowers should also move in the wind, otherwise it looks really strange. SMW no longer has animations for such things.
Difficulty seems to fit overall as well.

For one of the bomb caves, I'm not quite sure whether it's possible to "soft-lock" (section 6 in the editor) if you don't throw the bomb against the blocks properly. In contrast to the original games, nothing normally respawns.

$h31d0nc00p3rfan
Rex
Rex

Postby $h31d0nc00p3rfan » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:26 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:23 pm
$h31d0nc00p3rfan wrote:
For one of the bomb caves, I'm not quite sure whether it's possible to "soft-lock" (section 6 in the editor) if you don't throw the bomb against the blocks properly. In contrast to the original games, nothing normally respawns.
Hopefully I addressed that concern with the latest update.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike

Postby Just_Thomas » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:41 am

$h31d0nc00p3rfan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:26 pm
Just_Thomas wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:23 pm
$h31d0nc00p3rfan wrote:
Hopefully I addressed that concern with the latest update.
As a general advice: If you test your level - test it a lot. Try to break things, try to soft-lock yourself etc.
Try to speedrun your level, try to play sloppy (gaps too wide for "normal" jumps? for example...) or just to see if it's all fun overall.
If you include powerups like starmans, test your level without it, as they are often included as secret items and these should not be a requirement (expect maybe for secret areas leading to starcoins for example).
Most of these tests can be done by the author him/herself.

Return to “Levels”