Shantae Playable!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
the_pig_overlord
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: she/her

Shantae Playable!

Postby the_pig_overlord » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:48 pm

This started out as a simple costume for Link, but as I kept adding things it spiraled into something much bigger.

This is Shantae ported into Super Mario Bros. X as faithfully as possible! All of her animations are taken straight from Pirate's Curse and Risky's Revenge, and made to be as identical as possible. I've also changed her physics to match her home games!

You can find the trailer here: https://youtu.be/X1EA3n5Caxc?si=PXtqT7zdoESTBaKL

And the download here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

CREDITS
Sprites are taken from Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and Shantae Risky's Revenge
Some code is taken from Uncle Broadsword

INSTALLATION
Add her to the usual costumes/link folder, and change your character's costume as normal. The animations, physics, and moveset are handled by costume.lua

If anyone wants to make a standalone character version of this, be my guest! I'm not knowledgeable enough about SMBX to do it myself. Just make sure to credit me!

ABILITIES

~Hair Whip~
Shantae's most versatile weapon, it has a huge range and can be used while standing, crouching, or jumping!

~Crawl~
She can crawl. Pretty self explanatory.

~Monkey~
When climbing a surface, she turns into a monkey!
This is identical to Link's fairy, except she can jump out of it. The tradeoff is it doesn't last nearly as long once you get off the surface.

~Magic Lamp~
When whipping a grabbable item, Shantae will store it in her lamp!
The item can be taken back out with the dropitem button.

~Dance~
Hold altJump while still to dance. This does nothing, but it looks cool!

POWERUPS

~Fire Flower~
Fireflower becomes Fireball! It travels in a straight line and goes through walls and enemies. The tradeoff is it has way more startup and endlag.

~Super Leaf~
The Super Leaf becomes Pike Ball! Press AltRun to take out a Pike Ball, which will spin around you and hit enemies

~Ice Flower~
The Ice Flower becomes Bubble! Press AltRun to equip a bubble shield that blocks projectiles.
The shield goes away after blocking a projectile, but you can always pull it out again if you're quick enough.

~Tanooki Suit~
Tanooki Suit becomes Bat Transformation! This is essentially a double jump.
It work's identically to Link's, except you can once again jump out of the tranformation for EVEN MORE height.

~Hammer Suit~
Hammer Suit becomes Elephant Transformation! Press AltRun to dash into enemies!
You're not invincible, but you do destroy most enemies in your way! It also gives you some height if used in midair!

KNOWN ISSUES
None so far!

CHANGELOG
~v1.1 (3/26/2024)~
- Shantae now follows layer movement when in her monkey form
- Shantae now strikes a pose when getting a powerup!
- Fixed the position of the monkey sprites
- Fixed a graphical bug with the damage animation when switching from grounded to in the air
- Fixed a graphical bug where extended sprites (ie her hair) would always show even when the rest of her body is blinking due to taking damage
- Fixed a graphical bug where the overworld animation would be gibberish after a game over or upon starting a new save file
- Fixed an oversight where the game would crash upon jumping out of the last frame of the grounded fireball animation

And I'm pretty sure that's everything! This is my first mod for SMBX, so it's probably pretty buggy.
I know I used some hacky methods to get all those sprites in there. Still, I hope you enjoy!

SCREENSHOTS

Last edited by the_pig_overlord on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

punkitt
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Re: Shantae Playable!

Postby punkitt » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:16 pm

This looks so cool!! Would be fun to play around with this for sure :D

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Just_Thomas » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:01 am

Mad respect! Seriously, I can only express my respect for something like this and as your first project? The first project ever or the first released project?

the_pig_overlord
Goomba
Goomba

Postby the_pig_overlord » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:52 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:01 am
Mad respect! Seriously, I can only express my respect for something like this and as your first project? The first project ever or the first released project?
Thank you so much! I've done, like, simple sprite edits for personal use before, but this is my first full project!

Pixelated_Perfection
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Pronouns: He/They

Postby Pixelated_Perfection » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:07 pm

excuse my french but

OH HELL YEAH

Return to “LunaLua”