SMBX2 Beta 5 RELEASE! ➡️ Discussion & bugs here!

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: SMBX2 Beta 5 RELEASE! ➡️ Discussion & bugs here!

Postby Emral » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:09 am

RotisserieSalad wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:26 am
Emral wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:50 am
RotisserieSalad wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:38 pm
character pass-through blocks won't let their designated characters through anymore :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGfLdsmvgQc (example in a video)
are you using any custom scripts here? antizip, for instance.
i am in fact using antizip, is that causing the issue?
very likely. it doesn't happen in levels with no extra scripts

RotisserieSalad
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: the terrible tormentor of twinks /j
Pronouns: he/him or they/them

Postby RotisserieSalad » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:20 pm

Emral wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:09 am
RotisserieSalad wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:26 am
Emral wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:50 am

are you using any custom scripts here? antizip, for instance.
i am in fact using antizip, is that causing the issue?
very likely. it doesn't happen in levels with no extra scripts
i'll turn it off and see if that does the trick

smb2017
Goomba
Goomba

Postby smb2017 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:55 pm

Thank you for Beta 5!

Could never get Beta 4 working on my Steam deck. Was able to get Beta 5 working fairly quickly on my steam deck so I'm pretty happy now being able to play it on there.

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:42 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:51 am
Reign wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:36 am
Thank you very much for the update.

Is there a reason this still has a beta label on it? That's the one thing preventing the app from taking off.
What do you mean by that? The version is definitely suitable for use. Patches will surely follow, as it did happen with beta 4.
And beta by term most likely because the devteam has not implemented everything yet they wanted to.
I mean, we live in times of early access, non-functional products that you still have to pay for. And if there's a patch, a beta 6 or the full version at some point, you're guaranteed to be able to simply move your project over with all the files and, in the worst case, have to update a few NPCs.
What I mean is that there are a LOT of people who would be interested in a software like this, but the BETA in the title turns them off. Even if it's an almost flawless product. Having a smaller audience gives less incentive to spend a huge amount of time creating a new episode, for instance.

As a personal touch, I've wanted to make a new episode for two years now, but I won't start the project until I know it will be for a finished (meaning non-beta) engine. Right now I can't be sure of that.

Still, I understand this is not a job for anyone and appreciate the hard work that goes into updating SMBX. Personally I just think the beta label is next to useless at this point. We could just have more updates in the future to a finished product.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:13 am

Beta label will be removed when all features from 1.3 are available in SMBX2. In other words, multiplayer.

Even if the engine goes out of beta, there won't be a "full version". Mentioning cause I still see that label tossed around sometime. "Full version" for a game engine is quite nonsensical tbh. Whether you wait between Beta 4 and 5, Beta 5 and 6, or Ver 2.0.1 and Ver 2.1, I think that's self-sabotage and the best time to get started on what you wanna create is right now.

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:18 am

Emral wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:13 am
Beta label will be removed when all features from 1.3 are available in SMBX2. In other words, multiplayer.
Understood. :)
Emral wrote:
Even if the engine goes out of beta, there won't be a "full version". "Full version" for a game engine is quite nonsensical tbh. Whether you wait between Beta 4 and 5, Beta 5 and 6, or Ver 2.0.1 and Ver 2.1, I think that's self-sabotage and the best time to get started on what you wanna create is right now.
Yeah, I don't necessarily mean a full version. It's just that the beta gives the impression that something (crucial) is not ready. My point is mostly that I'd like a lot of people to use the engine.

Torterra18
Koopa
Koopa
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Torterra18 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:19 pm

Wooo, finally an update after so long! I wish I could celebrate it with the server, however, I've been forever banned there for being a bitch!

Anyways new update means that MRBOUBLEA NPC PACK UPDATE 1.5 RAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:46 am

Reign wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:18 am
Emral wrote:
Understood. :)
Emral wrote:
Even if the engine goes out of beta, there won't be a "full version". "Full version" for a game engine is quite nonsensical tbh. Whether you wait between Beta 4 and 5, Beta 5 and 6, or Ver 2.0.1 and Ver 2.1, I think that's self-sabotage and the best time to get started on what you wanna create is right now.
Yeah, I don't necessarily mean a full version. It's just that the beta gives the impression that something (crucial) is not ready. My point is mostly that I'd like a lot of people to use the engine.
I apologize in advance for this little off-topic post.
Honestly, these people can't be helped. They are missing out and wasting their lives waiting. We're not getting any younger and time doesn't stand still. I'm having a difficult time in real life at the moment (I won't go into that here, don`t worry this is not the place for).
In any case, I have realized that waiting forever for something is very stupid. I also doubt that these people seriously want to try and use SMBX2, otherwise they would have done it long ago.
Otherwise in relation to games: Palworld is more bug-free as an early access version than Pokemon was on release day and possibly even to this day (at least according to several reports).
Super Dungeon Maker still hasn't fixed fundamental bugs (my own experience as well), even though the developers are aware of them. SMBX2 has long since reached a status - in my opinion - where it could pass as a "full version" and simply receive subsequent updates.

Back to topic:
A request to add the following as a setting to blocks:
The Mega Mushroom can destroy normally unbreakable blocks like the SMW used block or that grey SMW stone like block (block-115).
I only entrys for "MEGA_SMASH" etc.
So no easy way to set up / change the behaviour of a block (for e.g. block-2 the SMB3 used ?-Block). Block-5 however does get destroyed by in MegaForm.
Very likely just an oversight, as it works normally also for the SMB1 ?-Block and used/empty version.

Maybe it could look like that?
MegaState=0 (can not be destroyed, so MEGA_STURDY?)
MegaState=1 (can be hit, but not destroyed, MEGA_HIT)
MegaState=2 (can be smashed, MEGA_SMASH)
or would it be even possible to seperate the Mega [Mushroom] status of the skewers?
e.g. in megaform you can hit the block - just by touching - while the skewer can destroy it with his spikes.

Edit:
Emral wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:21 am
just set the smashable config on the blocks you wanna smash
I did not realize it was literally the same thing.
Last edited by Just_Thomas on Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:21 am

just set the smashable config on the blocks you wanna smash

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:42 am

The volcano piranha plant is inaccurate to the source game (Mario Forever). In that game, the plant would rise, spit 3 fireballs at a random heights, then retreat. But the one here just acts like the fire-spewing plants with more fireballs in its config.

So I propose an extrasetting that allows the original behavior of the volcano plant to be activated if checked. It could also be used as another slot.

Ibaka
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Nothing

Postby Ibaka » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:52 am

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:42 am
The volcano piranha plant is inaccurate to the source game (Mario Forever). In that game, the plant would rise, spit 3 fireballs at a random heights, then retreat. But the one here just acts like the fire-spewing plants with more fireballs in its config.

So I propose an extrasetting that allows the original behavior of the volcano plant to be activated if checked. It could also be used as another slot.
they probably wont do it and lunalua exists

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:35 pm

deice wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:32 pm
checkpoints set to a warp exit that's outside of a section's bounds are now broken. this worked fine in beta 4 and i don't see any highlighted potentially breaking change in the changelogs related to this so i believe it's unintended behavior?

also, if a level's starting point is outside a section's bounds, the level's music will not play.
update: i've managed to pinpoint the cause of the first bug, namely it's the warp's "exitSection" field being calculated incorrectly - meaning that unfortunately it's impossible to fix this on the user's side without making a custom checkpoint script (which i imagine most people would like to avoid)

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:40 pm

Ibaka wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:52 am
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:42 am

they probably wont do it and lunalua exists
Someone did make them in b4, but it now throws an error when placing one down.

Jumper
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Jumper » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:57 pm

First and foremost, thanks for releasing a new update for SMBX2; IMO I didn't expect there to be a Beta 5, but I ain't complainin'.

Something I've noticed while using the program is a bug when modifying the gfx of the blocks 1176, 1178, 1180, and 1182 (the upside-down slopes).

I replaced them with the custom slope gfx I have created the other day, and it causes this visual bug.

Spoiler: show

While humorous, it only happens while in the editor, and it seems normal during playtesting.
It doesn't happen when it replaces different blocks.

If this makes any difference, I was using the SMBX2 Tileset Importer for these.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:52 am

Updated with patch 1 a few minutes ago - well this bug is still there through

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:39 pm

How do you use a patch again?

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:37 am

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:39 pm
How do you use a patch again?
If you run the SMBX editor you should get an orange info message on the upper part of the window.

Or click here:
https://codehaus.wohlsoft.ru/downloads.php
Just run patch 1 and select the folder of your SMBX beta 5 installation. It will ask you if you want to update. Yes, do it.
The only reason I can still show you is, they released an even newer patch.
Previously: "SMBX2b5p1 Patch"
And now: "SMBX2b5p1.1 Patch"

Nothing has changed in this matter BTW:
Just_Thomas wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:52 am
Updated with patch 1 a few minutes ago - well this bug is still there through
Moved Twister blacklist/whitelist into an AI file, allowing NPC IDs to be excluded/included to its lifting.
Ok, apparently this has been noticed, but unfortunately I'm not up to it. I hope that someone can somehow provide something that I could integrate into the luna code.
Ok, just searched for twister.lua and apparently I have to copy it and change it in my project folder. Perhaps this could be noted somewhere for non-coders.
Last edited by Just_Thomas on Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

kimoxq
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby kimoxq » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:49 am

feedback: when you select "quit" in the quit menu mid game, please remove the feature that exists the entire game and revert it like it was in beta 4 (quiting the episode, not the game itself). the beta 5 quitting is horrible for playtesting and costumes dont work on episodes because i cant quit and save the costume from for example mario challenge to select one.

my guess that this new quitting system was added is to prevent "cheating" on episodes, since when you just quit the episode your stats are back to normal even if you die. would be great if that is fixed, or just temporarily revert to the beta 4 quitting system in the next patch until the "cheating" prevention system is finished, if that was your goal of this beta 5 quitting system

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:54 am

Ok, what do I have to enter here?

twister.npcBlacklist = {} ?

tried with 224,227 [npcs ID from the SMW vine]

Code: Select all

twister.npcBlacklist = {224, 227}
.. nothing, even tried it with the WhiteList ... also nothing. the function below suggests that only the ID number is required.

Also LOL about the second hotfix. I just thought that the Runner had a malfunction with the display and thought: "never in my life a new hotfix"

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:17 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:37 am
apparently I have to copy it and change it in my project folder
nope, it doesn't say that. it's just a library, so it works like any other library. please never randomly copypaste basegame files into your folders, unless you are absolutely sure of what youre doing.
put this into your luna.lua

Code: Select all

local twisterAI = require("npcs/ai/twister")
twisterAI.blacklist(1) -- blacklists the goomba
kimoxq wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:49 am
feedback: when you select "quit" in the quit menu mid game, please remove the feature that exists the entire game and revert it like it was in beta 4 (quiting the episode, not the game itself). the beta 5 quitting is horrible for playtesting and costumes dont work on episodes because i cant quit and save the costume from for example mario challenge to select one.

my guess that this new quitting system was added is to prevent "cheating" on episodes, since when you just quit the episode your stats are back to normal even if you die. would be great if that is fixed, or just temporarily revert to the beta 4 quitting system in the next patch until the "cheating" prevention system is finished, if that was your goal of this beta 5 quitting system
The reason this was changed is that the old title screen is capable of corrupting save files. You can use the dressmeup cheat in an episode to equip a costume to get around your issue. It's a bit janky on the map but should work in any level. The method you describe is a bug that relies on the instability on the title screen, which also explains why you experience having to do this every time. Using the dressmeup method saves the costume state across sessions, so you only ever have to do it once per save file.
Making costumes available is generally at the discretion of the episode creator, so be careful that in the rare case it might cause issues, if for example the costume's mechanics or hitboxes differ from those officially supported by the episode.

In terms of playtesting, could you go into detail how it hampers playtesting? I do a lot of playtesting myself, and would be curious to hear about your struggles.

Return to “General”