SMBX2 Beta 5 RELEASE! ➡️ Discussion & bugs here!

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SMBX2 Beta 5 RELEASE! ➡️ Discussion & bugs here!

Postby Just_Thomas » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:16 am

Is there any way for me to use a Respawner (npc-637) which throws a (single!) npc-284 (SMW Lakitu) throwing - normally, multiply - npc-655 (Twister). Once the Lakitu has been killed, of course a new one would emerge restarting the cycle.

BTW: It is possible to use Warps in Megaform. Not good.

Edit: Well at least in cases like this one (for players in mega form), instant ones might work better. Doors very likely not as well.

An other thing I noticed:
I actually expected the platform does let me drop on the floor (semi solid, floor slope, walkpaststairs) but if I do not jump of myself I get dragged into the pit. I am sure this is not supposed to happen. The wooden platform is npc-339 (SMW Wood Platform)

Cornholio309
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Cornholio309 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:57 am

Bug:
The P-Switch Toggle Block (Block ID #670) seems to exhibit some very odd behavior when Link interacts with it. Hitting the block from below while playing as him causes all blocks that are set to transform into coins/rubies to only exhibit the proper behavior for a frame before returning to normal.
Spoiler: show

However, if the block is hit using Link's downwards sword attack (jump, then press down while in the air), it functions properly and the full P-Switch effect lasts it's proper duration. Hitting the block from below after doing this also resets the P-Switch duration properly, so it only seems to be an issue when Link tries to initially hit it from below. Noticed this while designing a level.

Discussion/Suggestion:
Not quite sure if this should be classified as feedback for a newer revision of SMBX or not, but the TNT Crate blocks (ID #682) don't quite seem to properly function as they did in the Crash Bandicoot titles. Normally, if Crash were to attack a TNT Crate by spinning, the TNT would self-destruct prematurely and hurt Crash. Jumping on it during a countdown however does not do anything.
(Recorded from Crash XS/The Huge Adventure, but this behavior can also be observed in the PSX titles.)

However, in SMBX, the player can attack the Crate and nothing happens. I first noticed this with Wario's barge thinking it would intentionally trigger the explosion. It doesn't seem any player attack or projectile (save for Link's sword) can trigger it? An attack can start the countdown, but it won't finish prematurely from another attack:

I assume LunaLua can be used to change this behavior, but it might be nice to also implement this change into 2.0? I'm not familiar with any community levels that might have used this different behavior to design a level around the Crate being safe to attack, but I think the Crate should be more loyal to the Crash titles out of the box. I feel it throws players who are familiar with the titles off or leads to the incorrect assumption that the Crates will do the same here when this isn't actually the case. It would also allow for more faithful remakes of the levels from XS/N-Tranced, as well as potentially interesting puzzle concepts (a player would have to prematurely detonate the crate for a time-based puzzle).

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:29 am

Since Custom NPCs are affected here, you will probably no longer be responsible for this
(I have already posted it in the appropriate place), but just in case, here it is again.
Just_Thomas wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:27 am
The (beta 5 included) Twister does not like the seesaw. It even screws around so much, as it does become "non-walkable" at the end as the gif shows:

Sux
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Sux » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:42 am

I was playing when I got this error, apparently it has to do with the snift balls

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:49 pm

Cornholio309 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:57 am
Discussion/Suggestion:
Not quite sure if this should be classified as feedback for a newer revision of SMBX or not, but the TNT Crate blocks (ID #682) don't quite seem to properly function as they did in the Crash Bandicoot titles. Normally, if Crash were to attack a TNT Crate by spinning, the TNT would self-destruct prematurely and hurt Crash. Jumping on it during a countdown however does not do anything.
(Recorded from Crash XS/The Huge Adventure, but this behavior can also be observed in the PSX titles.)

However, in SMBX, the player can attack the Crate and nothing happens. I first noticed this with Wario's barge thinking it would intentionally trigger the explosion. It doesn't seem any player attack or projectile (save for Link's sword) can trigger it? An attack can start the countdown, but it won't finish prematurely from another attack:

I assume LunaLua can be used to change this behavior, but it might be nice to also implement this change into 2.0? I'm not familiar with any community levels that might have used this different behavior to design a level around the Crate being safe to attack, but I think the Crate should be more loyal to the Crash titles out of the box. I feel it throws players who are familiar with the titles off or leads to the incorrect assumption that the Crates will do the same here when this isn't actually the case. It would also allow for more faithful remakes of the levels from XS/N-Tranced, as well as potentially interesting puzzle concepts (a player would have to prematurely detonate the crate for a time-based puzzle).
There was actually a whole discussion about that topic in the B4 thread, there is a link below

viewtopic.php?t=25151&start=960#p394135

Cornholio309
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Cornholio309 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:22 pm

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:49 pm
There was actually a whole discussion about that topic in the B4 thread, there is a link below

viewtopic.php?t=25151&start=960#p394135
Oh. Ah. Hmm. Would this mean Link's behavior towards the TNT Crate with his sword is a bug in this case? Uncle Broadsword's attacks do not cause the TNT Crate to detonate prematurely and I haven't observed any other Playable Character actions like Link's that can cause this to occur (though I haven't tested them extensively). I'm unsure how the game handles these attacks internally.

I can sorta see some of the arguments. I do believe the behavior shown in the thread from Crash Bandicoot 2 is indeed a bug (I'm pretty sure the game registers that the TNT Crate was attacked and tries to blow it up, but because of the bounce back registering first and the invincibility frames Crash escapes unharmed). I can understand not wanting to replicate what seems to be unintentional behavior (the bounce crates also seem to exhibit unintentional behavior if Crash spins right before landing on them in Crash 2/3). Most characters also have access to a spinjump and players might be more comfortable traversing with that over the default jump, so it can lead to some nasty scenarios where a death/injury occurs without them really having a chance to correct themselves.

However, I do agree with the original statement Olhi made in that having to wait the full countdown in a couple of scenarios is rather boring. I feel the current behavior essentially turns them into glorified stationary Bom-Ombs that can't be moved/cancelled with another attack. Some of that player/NPC interaction is what made them so fun to mess with in the original Crash titles (I recall a couple of puzzles that would cause TNT Crates to prematurely blow up). I'm also not sure if there are any other blocks taken from other titles currently in SMBX also have their original behavior modified like this.

What steps would I have to take to create a TNT block that functions like the ones from the Crash titles (player jump interaction starts the timer, any other attacks from you or otherwise blow it up)? Assuming I understand Emral's post correctly, the code snippet there would create a version of the TNT Crate that explodes safely when spinjumped on (skipping the countdown), but I want something that can be attacked again to skip the countdown if possible. Apologies if I'm not quite making sense or misunderstanding the point being made in the discussions linked earlier.

EDIT:
I also noticed that TNT Crates don't seem to 'force destroy' NPCs that are near them. The Crash titles used this for a couple of puzzles (detonating a TNT at the wrong time would blow away a life). Is there a way to replicate this behavior as well?

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:42 am

The Boo Snake (npc-298) does get stuck in sloped ceiling. The "grass ceiling" is a placeholder default tile.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:44 am

yea the rebounders are pretty garbo in general. someone should rewrite them sometime. like you would think this is stable

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:22 am

If developers acknowledge the bug, that's half the battle.

(half serious, half ironic)

KnownStranger
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby KnownStranger » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:06 pm

I found a NPC bug or whatever that is. The falling icicles and the stalactites are not working well. In the gif, you can touch them but if they respawn, you can't do it.

Edit: Also, the NPCs are slightly misaligned when they respawn.
Last edited by KnownStranger on Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cat king
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: Mario kart wii is #1

Postby Cat king » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:16 pm

Some jank:

Invisible foo:

Broken football:

with broken football the settings for the egg-ry plant were:

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:41 pm

I thought I would "suffer" under the Mandela Effect with this one here, but I now I have proof:

Small Intro: The new goal tape and goal orb (SMW) are based of MrDoubleAs work and found their way in the base game as they are simply better than the old 1.3 versions. However the base game versions do lack an option under "Goal Tape Settings": Exit type.

Long story short: His "old" versions have these options. However as I figured if you copy his files from the folder into your project npc-353 and npc-354 (the green ? - orb) have this option suddently as well.
Upper row: Empty level (not even saved yet), lower row: project with his original files before they later got included in beta 5. Please notice in both cases it is npc-353 and NOT his custom version (npc-751).
The only logical explanation for this can only be that a few files or a single certain file in the "[NPC] Goal Tape" in his npc package folder is causing it to affect npc-353. Forgive me, if this is already known (be it via discord - where I have never been) or somewhere else.

Please don't tell me that this intended and that's why these contents are NOT in the "Now in Basegame" folder.
Just_Thomas wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:53 pm
I think you forgot to move "[NPC] Goal Tape" into "Now in Basegame" as well?

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:58 pm

getSMBXVersionString is undefined within the loadscreen environment which means that calling Misc.setWindowTitle() results in an error even though misc functions are supposed to work within loadscreen.lua

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:31 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:41 pm
I thought I would "suffer" under the Mandela Effect with this one here, but I now I have proof:

Small Intro: The new goal tape and goal orb (SMW) are based of MrDoubleAs work and found their way in the base game as they are simply better than the old 1.3 versions. However the base game versions do lack an option under "Goal Tape Settings": Exit type.

Long story short: His "old" versions have these options. However as I figured if you copy his files from the folder into your project npc-353 and npc-354 (the green ? - orb) have this option suddently as well.
Upper row: Empty level (not even saved yet), lower row: project with his original files before they later got included in beta 5. Please notice in both cases it is npc-353 and NOT his custom version (npc-751).
The only logical explanation for this can only be that a few files or a single certain file in the "[NPC] Goal Tape" in his npc package folder is causing it to affect npc-353. Forgive me, if this is already known (be it via discord - where I have never been) or somewhere else.

Please don't tell me that this intended and that's why these contents are NOT in the "Now in Basegame" folder.
What happened here was that the extra-settings for the basegame new goal tape/orb use the same name as the original custom ones and overid them. If you were to rename the custom one, then the basegame should return to normal.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:26 am

Various objects like the ghost house lamp from Mario Maker 2 (background-263) have light settings by default. Is it somewhere "visible", which settings they actually have?
If you search for that file, you only find the image and the INI which only does have these settings:

Code: Select all

[background]
image = "background-263.png"
name = "Ghost House Lamp"
group = "Super Mario World"
category = "Ghost house"
z-layer = "background"
smbx64-sort-priority = 75
For example if I want to "make" a mirrored version of the lamp looking in the other direction and having the same settings, then knowing which ones the original does have, would help greatly. Otherwise I would have to overwrite the original settings too, to have matching ones, I mean.
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:31 am
Just_Thomas wrote:
So just to be clear: The base game SMW goals SHOULD actually have this exit type setting (I mean that I think they should be there).
I rather suspect that this was somehow forgotten during integration. I mean, why would you leave it out and not let the user configure it?
Imagine remaking "Chocolate Island 3" having two goal tapes: One is set up as one while the other one could e.g. by the SMB3 crystal ball (or anything else, it is about the exit type and the world map progression, if you know what I mean. The player does not care what happens in the background).

The other exits from SMB2 and SMB3 are still from ancient version 1.3. times and have not been changed and therefore have no setting options to change the exit type (e.g. the SMB2 crystal ball = looks and sounds like one but is actually the SMW goal tape in terms of "functioning").

If I understand your answer correctly, you seem to be saying that although these are settings, they may not work and could not change anything (i.e. the original SMW Goal)? Be that as it may, I think I'll just stick with the custom variants.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:12 pm

Configurable exit type was left out on purpose. If it becomes a feature in the future, it needs to become a feature for all exit NPCs at once. It was never promised as a basegame feature, and is not a regression to prior behaviour. Use the custom one if you really need it to make your maps work.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:19 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:26 am
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:31 am
Just_Thomas wrote:
So just to be clear: The base game SMW goals SHOULD actually have this exit type setting (I mean that I think they should be there).
I rather suspect that this was somehow forgotten during integration. I mean, why would you leave it out and not let the user configure it?
Imagine remaking "Chocolate Island 3" having two goal tapes: One is set up as one while the other one could e.g. by the SMB3 crystal ball (or anything else, it is about the exit type and the world map progression, if you know what I mean. The player does not care what happens in the background).

The other exits from SMB2 and SMB3 are still from ancient version 1.3. times and have not been changed and therefore have no setting options to change the exit type (e.g. the SMB2 crystal ball = looks and sounds like one but is actually the SMW goal tape in terms of "functioning").

If I understand your answer correctly, you seem to be saying that although these are settings, they may not work and could not change anything (i.e. the original SMW Goal)? Be that as it may, I think I'll just stick with the custom variants.
The Basegame Lua Goal Tape and Orb use win types 8 and 11 respectively. Therefore it isn't necessary to add that extra-setting feature to the game.
Emral wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:12 pm
Configurable exit type was left out on purpose. If it becomes a feature in the future, it needs to become a feature for all exit NPCs at once. It was never promised as a basegame feature, and is not a regression to prior behaviour. Use the custom one if you really need it to make your maps work.
The configurable exit type doesn't necessarily need to be a feature, since the game can differentiate the exit types right now, and if you need that feature for something like SMWmap, then I think you could just use the custom's extra-setting. (BTW, MDA, pls update SMWmap to add the new win type for the paths.)

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:24 am

Emral wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:12 pm
True to the motto: All or nothing? Well, somehow understandable if you want certain things to be standardized. As has already been stated, we have a fallback option to use. So, it seems fine to me and it's nice that this has been made clear.
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:19 pm
The Basegame Lua Goal Tape and Orb use win types 8 and 11 respectively. Therefore it isn't necessary to add that extra-setting feature to the game.
Unless you want to create a level with 2 goal tapes leading to different exits (with different! world map progression) and you do NOT want to use the ?-ball as the second exit.
Or just check out Donut Ghost House.
https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/Super ... tHouse.png
That covers exactly what I actually want to say. One exit continues normally on the world map, the other exit leads to the Top Secret Area and the level has 2 Goal Tapes. This is only possible with configurable exits.
Do not know what else to say, since you DO know about it yourself.
But this reply was directed to Emral and not to me. :mrgreen:
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:19 pm
The configurable exit type doesn't necessarily need to be a feature, since the game can differentiate the exit types right now, and if you need that feature for something like SMWmap, then I think you could just use the custom's extra-setting. (BTW, MDA, pls update SMWmap to add the new win type for the paths.)
But it doesn't really matter, we have fallback options for SMW-type projects and SMB1 and SMB3 didn't have anything like that in the original.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:24 am

I’ve been thinking about this for a while, but I thought that SMBX 38a’s GFX expansion for blocks, effects, and NPCs was a really cool thing to add to that game. Can that be recreated in SMBX2?

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:41 am

An other question: If I have a world map (a normal one, not smwMap.lua) which takes even less than ONE screeen, is there a way to force-fix the camera to the centre, so it does show as less of the unused black areas as possible? Think of the SML2 sub-areas, the zones.
Also: BTW, if you "replace" tiles and scene "sprites?" from the world map for your project, they have to be in the main project folder.
If you have e.g. a myworld.wld and a directory "myworld", they DO work in the editor, as they get shown correctly, but NOT ingame. I find that somewhat unfavorable.
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:24 am
I’ve been thinking about this for a while, but I thought that SMBX 38a’s GFX expansion for blocks, effects, and NPCs was a really cool thing to add to that game. Can that be recreated in SMBX2?
Oh yes, this would also solve the problem with SMB1 ?-Blocks and Bricks. We would be able to make possible variations.

PS: I just happen to remember the feature from a time when I wasn't even aware of 2.0, but the 38a editor was kind of complicated to use back then and I didn't even manage to create a level, but I still have very positive memories of this particular feature.
Well .. maybe for beta 6???

Return to “General”