SMBX2 Beta 5 RELEASE! ➡️ Discussion & bugs here!

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: SMBX2 Beta 5 RELEASE! ➡️ Discussion & bugs here!

Postby deice » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:11 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:41 am
If I have a world map (a normal one, not smwMap.lua) which takes even less than ONE screeen, is there a way to force-fix the camera to the centre, so it does show as less of the unused black areas as possible? Think of the SML2 sub-areas, the zones.
this is possible both with the base game's camlock library and is also a built-in feature in the custom library xmap
Just_Thomas wrote: Also: BTW, if you "replace" tiles and scene "sprites?" from the world map for your project, they have to be in the main project folder.
If you have e.g. a myworld.wld and a directory "myworld", they DO work in the editor, as they get shown correctly, but NOT ingame. I find that somewhat unfavorable.
this is because the smbx2 editor is a fork of the pge editor. the pge editor is also used by thextech which does have the aforementioned feature of being able to segregate custom world map assets into a folder, and removing this feature from the smbx2 editor is likely more trouble than it's worth (especially since this might end up being a feature in smbx2 as well some day)

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Just_Thomas » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:48 pm

deice wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:11 pm
Just_Thomas wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:41 am
If I have a world map (a normal one, not smwMap.lua) which takes even less than ONE screeen, is there a way to force-fix the camera to the centre, so it does show as less of the unused black areas as possible? Think of the SML2 sub-areas, the zones.
this is possible both with the base game's camlock library and is also a built-in feature in the custom library xmap
Just_Thomas wrote: Also: BTW, if you "replace" tiles and scene "sprites?" from the world map for your project, they have to be in the main project folder.
If you have e.g. a myworld.wld and a directory "myworld", they DO work in the editor, as they get shown correctly, but NOT ingame. I find that somewhat unfavorable.
this is because the smbx2 editor is a fork of the pge editor. the pge editor is also used by thextech which does have the aforementioned feature of being able to segregate custom world map assets into a folder, and removing this feature from the smbx2 editor is likely more trouble than it's worth (especially since this might end up being a feature in smbx2 as well some day)
Thanks - once again - for your help. I actually tried and it SOMEHOW seems to work, just not anywhere near fine.
I PM-ed you some details, hopefully you see the problem or rather where I did not get it.

Fork stuff: Ok.. it is known and it does work, so no complaining here. That is all I need to know.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:30 pm

Jumper
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Jumper » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:05 am

Modifying the NPCs 10, 33, 103, and 258 into the following:

Code: Select all

gfxwidth=32
width=24
causes them to be rendered invisible.

In Editor: show

In Game: show
Without indicators:

With indicators:

Edit:
I should also mention that I'm using the latest patch available.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:34 am

some older npcs require you to specify height and gfxheight when modifying width configs, and vice versa

Cat king
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: Mario kart wii is #1

Postby Cat king » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:24 pm

I don't think that's supposed to happen...

the last gap is half a block wide. And they are only supposed to jump off of ledges or against walls.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:10 am

This error occurs when selecting an item for purchase in Lakitu's Shop. I was able to reproduce this in in a blank level.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:46 am

I am not 100 % sure, but I feel like
Defines.player_runspeed
Defines.player_walkspeed
are broken (in a negative view), as no matter where I use them now, I can not change their values anymore. It was not the case in beta 4.
Can anyone confirm this?

Cat king
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: Mario kart wii is #1

Postby Cat king » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:10 am

GIF:
Debug menu:

Sorry about the gif being long. It took a while to replicate it.

newgamer762
Rex
Rex
Pronouns: he

Postby newgamer762 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:10 am

The player splits into 5 after clearing an episode using level as hub.

GIF:

ANueUtsuho
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby ANueUtsuho » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:22 pm

Did Wigglers always move as one object? I swore they moved dynamically on slopes before (In other words, each segment moved on slopes independently).

SangoSMBX09
Goomba
Goomba

Postby SangoSMBX09 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:27 am

It fails to open data that contains Japanese characters (double-byte characters?).
I played an episode called "Attack Boss Carnival!" that I downloaded from this site (https://smbxjapan.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/Att ... arnival%21).
Of course, this episode works fine with SMBX 1.3.0.1 & 1.3.7.

The error that appears when a level cannot be loaded.
The correct path is "C:\Documents\SMBX2b5\data\worlds\ABC!\ROY城.lvl"

Then this error will be displayed in a separate window.
Close this to return to the boss selection screen.

Error displayed when BGM cannot be loaded.
If I close this window, the level will continue, but the BGM will be silent.
Last edited by SangoSMBX09 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:17 pm

SangoSMBX09 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:27 am
It fails to open data that contains Japanese characters (double-byte characters?).
I played an episode called "Attack Boss Carnival!" that I downloaded from this site (https://smbxjapan.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/Att ... arnival%21).

First of all, what the hell is 1.3.7?

Secondly, you could try to rename the level to something else, although this is something the devs might want to look at.

SangoSMBX09
Goomba
Goomba

Postby SangoSMBX09 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 am

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:17 pm
SangoSMBX09 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:27 am

First of all, what the hell is 1.3.7?

Secondly, you could try to rename the level to something else, although this is something the devs might want to look at.
SMBX 1.3.7 is the latest version of SMBX-R (The SMBX Experiments), a test ground fork of SMBX 1.3 with bug fixes aimed at simplifying testing and running on Wine.

Of course, renaming the level would resolve the error...
However, I think this is important information to maintain full compatibility with SMBX 1.3. So I thought I would report it on this forum.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 am

SangoSMBX09 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 am
SMBX 1.3.7 is the latest version of SMBX-R (The SMBX Experiments), a test ground fork of SMBX 1.3 with bug fixes aimed at simplifying testing and running on Wine.

However, I think this is important information to maintain full compatibility with SMBX 1.3. So I thought I would report it on this forum.
I did not know either, what a pity I guess.
Even through Windows as an OS has lost quite a bunch of marketshare (at least from what I remember) as people started to switch to other OS it is still pretty much the standard.

(Edit: So at least I assume that you would also be interested in being able to use beta 5.)

The user here also could not get a reply.
GigaLuigiSisters wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:27 am
Hi,

i played the game using wine years ago and tried to reinstall it. I've created a new prefix with directx9 and vcrun2015. I tried a windows 7 and windows 10 prefix, both win32. When i run the installer it failed with this error:

Whats wrong here?

I use Ubuntu 22.04 with Wine 8.18.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:05 am

SangoSMBX09 wrote: It fails to open data that contains Japanese characters (double-byte characters?).
testing this out with a blank level that has the same name (from a freshly-created world map) does still produce an error in regards to loading the music (however, i'm fairly certain the music playing depends on the encoding of the user's computer even in 1.3, someone else might need to confirm this), but i am able to load the level without any issues.
so, since i'm unable to use the download link you've provided (it seemingly blocks non-japanese ip addresses), i'm left to presume that this is some kind of issue regarding the episode's world file (maybe the level names are given in shift-jis or something?). while smbx2 does try to maintain backwards compatibility with most old episodes, i can't say for certain that this episode would work in 1.3 on a pc set to a language other than japanese, so it's a strange edge case and i'm not sure how easy it would be to account for it.

SangoSMBX09
Goomba
Goomba

Postby SangoSMBX09 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:40 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 am
SangoSMBX09 wrote:

Even through Windows as an OS has lost quite a bunch of marketshare (at least from what I remember) as people started to switch to other OS it is still pretty much the standard.

(Edit: So at least I assume that you would also be interested in being able to use beta 5.)

GigaLuigiSisters wrote:
Hi,

i played the game using wine years ago and tried to reinstall it. I've created a new prefix with directx9 and vcrun2015. I tried a windows 7 and windows 10 prefix, both win32. When i run the installer it failed with this error:

Whats wrong here?

When I used Ubuntu a lot, SMBX2 Beta 4 was working fine on Wine 5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (I forget the Wine version, but it also worked on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.), but Beta 5 doesn't work...? I didn't know that.
I would like to try it later.

Added in 58 seconds:
deice wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:05 am
SangoSMBX09 wrote: It fails to open data that contains Japanese characters (double-byte characters?).
testing this out with a blank level that has the same name (from a freshly-created world map) does still produce an error in regards to loading the music (however, i'm fairly certain the music playing depends on the encoding of the user's computer even in 1.3, someone else might need to confirm this), but i am able to load the level without any issues.
so, since i'm unable to use the download link you've provided (it seemingly blocks non-japanese ip addresses), i'm left to presume that this is some kind of issue regarding the episode's world file (maybe the level names are given in shift-jis or something?). while smbx2 does try to maintain backwards compatibility with most old episodes, i can't say for certain that this episode would work in 1.3 on a pc set to a language other than japanese, so it's a strange edge case and i'm not sure how easy it would be to account for it.
sorry. Since FC2 Wiki seems to block access from overseas, I will show the URL directly to the uploader.

First, download these three separate files.
http://ux.getuploader.com/iguzamini_smb ... ABC%21.001
http://ux.getuploader.com/iguzamini_smb ... ABC%21.002
http://ux.getuploader.com/iguzamini_smb ... ABC%21.003

Then, combine them using this executable file.
http://ux.getuploader.com/iguzamini_smb ... ABC%21.exe

Added in 3 hours 53 minutes :
SangoSMBX09 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:41 pm
Just_Thomas wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 am
SangoSMBX09 wrote:

GigaLuigiSisters wrote:
Hi,

Whats wrong here?

When I used Ubuntu a lot, SMBX2 Beta 4 was working fine on Wine 5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (I forget the Wine version, but it also worked on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.), but Beta 5 doesn't work...? I didn't know that.
I would like to try it later.

SMBX2 Beta5.2 seems to work properly on Wine 8.0.1 on Ubuntu 23.10.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 am

SangoSMBX09 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:34 am
sorry. Since FC2 Wiki seems to block access from overseas, I will show the URL directly to the uploader.
it seems this guess i'd made:
deice wrote: (maybe the level names are given in shift-jis or something?)
was correct. opening "map.lvl" shows the following level name is specified as a warp destination:
with the last two bytes corresponding to the correct character only if the encoding is presumed to be shift-jis (which is not true unless the device language is set to japanese). so, while it would be theoretically possible for smbx2 to fix this and account for every possible encoding on any device, it's a lot of work for very little reward and i don't know if it's reasonable to expect the development team to do so.

SangoSMBX09
Goomba
Goomba

Postby SangoSMBX09 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:54 am

deice wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 am
SangoSMBX09 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:34 am
it seems this guess i'd made:
deice wrote: (maybe the level names are given in shift-jis or something?)
was correct. opening "map.lvl" shows the following level name is specified as a warp destination:
with the last two bytes corresponding to the correct character only if the encoding is presumed to be shift-jis (which is not true unless the device language is set to japanese). so, while it would be theoretically possible for smbx2 to fix this and account for every possible encoding on any device, it's a lot of work for very little reward and i don't know if it's reasonable to expect the development team to do so.
If it is difficult to modify SMBX2 directly, is it possible to try to add an option to launch SMBX 1.3.0.1 full compatibility mode, which removes the new features by LunaLua from the launcher, since the SMBX 1.3.0.1 exe file is still included?

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:42 am

SangoSMBX09 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:54 am
If it is difficult to modify SMBX2 directly, is it possible to try to add an option to launch SMBX 1.3.0.1 full compatibility mode, which removes the new features by LunaLua from the launcher, since the SMBX 1.3.0.1 exe file is still included?
unfortunately that would require packaging all of the original resource files from 1.3 (given it doesn't support the new file formats smbx2 uses for base resources such as png images), and at that point the user might as well just have a separate 1.3 install, since they'd be required to download duplicate files anyways. of course, the dev team has the final say on what issues they intend to look at, but personally i wouldn't count on this becoming a high-priority fix any time soon.

Return to “General”