SMBX2 Beta 5 RELEASE! ➡️ Discussion & bugs here!

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SMBX2 Beta 5 RELEASE! ➡️ Discussion & bugs here!

Postby Just_Thomas » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:11 am

Emral wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:17 am
I did, did not work?!

Code: Select all

local twisterAI = require("npcs/ai/twister")
twisterAI.blacklist(224,227)
DL (pick one):
https://www.file-upload.net/download-15 ... g.zip.html
https://file.io/dJCRbP7tj5KJ
https://fastupload.io/vSabUgwPAWNADul/file

BTW: A question.
Any way you guys consider to include some kind of "camera panning stopper" into the editor?
In case you do not know what I mean. In Mario Maker 2 hard blocks do that kind of job. The camera stopps panning at some point, suggesting, the section does end there. However using hardblocks here would be semi-optimal. I rather think vertical and/or horizontal camera panning stopper lines would be neat. However each section could only have one of them and ONLY either a horizontal or vertical one which would go through the whole section.
That way 2 sections could be combined into one, they would share the same background settings, music and all the other settings of a section, however.

If there is interest but it is still not quite clear what I mean, I can create an illustration where I depict it as if it were also available in the editor.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:07 am

one id per line. you can't just do (224, 227).

twisterAI.blacklist(224)
twisterAI.blacklist(227)

kimoxq
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby kimoxq » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:48 am

Emral wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:17 am
Just_Thomas wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:37 am
apparently I have to copy it and change it in my project folder
nope, it doesn't say that. it's just a library, so it works like any other library. please never randomly copypaste basegame files into your folders, unless you are absolutely sure of what youre doing.
put this into your luna.lua

Code: Select all

local twisterAI = require("npcs/ai/twister")
twisterAI.blacklist(1) -- blacklists the goomba
kimoxq wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:49 am
feedback: when you select "quit" in the quit menu mid game, please remove the feature that exists the entire game and revert it like it was in beta 4 (quiting the episode, not the game itself). the beta 5 quitting is horrible for playtesting and costumes dont work on episodes because i cant quit and save the costume from for example mario challenge to select one.

my guess that this new quitting system was added is to prevent "cheating" on episodes, since when you just quit the episode your stats are back to normal even if you die. would be great if that is fixed, or just temporarily revert to the beta 4 quitting system in the next patch until the "cheating" prevention system is finished, if that was your goal of this beta 5 quitting system
The reason this was changed is that the old title screen is capable of corrupting save files. You can use the dressmeup cheat in an episode to equip a costume to get around your issue. It's a bit janky on the map but should work in any level. The method you describe is a bug that relies on the instability on the title screen, which also explains why you experience having to do this every time. Using the dressmeup method saves the costume state across sessions, so you only ever have to do it once per save file.
Making costumes available is generally at the discretion of the episode creator, so be careful that in the rare case it might cause issues, if for example the costume's mechanics or hitboxes differ from those officially supported by the episode.

In terms of playtesting, could you go into detail how it hampers playtesting? I do a lot of playtesting myself, and would be curious to hear about your struggles.
thank you for addressing this. now, speaking of playtesting, its nothing too bad. theres a reason of mine specifically why i think testing is a bit different than beta 4 and i think this is more of a "me" difficulty im having. since f5=test a level, adding a shortcut to start the whole game would be great or at least put it bellow regular testing (the f5 one) like it was in beta 4 so its more quicker, since i do a lot of world map testing that i dont wanna save yet etc.

keep in mind, its not the end of the world that this changed in terms of testing and costumes, because it may seem like it but its not, i just wanna clarify that. i was trying to suggest if testing can be more "quicker" to do if you get what im trying to say

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:36 am

deice wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:35 pm
update: i've managed to pinpoint the cause of the first bug, namely it's the warp's "exitSection" field being calculated incorrectly - meaning that unfortunately it's impossible to fix this on the user's side without making a custom checkpoint script (which i imagine most people would like to avoid)
update update: this isn't just an issue with checkpoints, any cross-section warps which lead outside a section's boundaries will kill the player instantly.

the above recording is from a level which uses no additional scripts, on the latest hotfix.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:39 pm

This shows up in the latest patch:

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:58 pm

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:39 pm

Do you have custom bros in your level? Please update them to make sure they have all the NPC config defined. https://docs.codehaus.moe/#/features/np ... 14-616-618
deice wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:36 am
deice wrote:
update: i've managed to pinpoint the cause of the first bug, namely it's the warp's "exitSection" field being calculated incorrectly - meaning that unfortunately it's impossible to fix this on the user's side without making a custom checkpoint script (which i imagine most people would like to avoid)
update update: this isn't just an issue with checkpoints, any cross-section warps which lead outside a section's boundaries will kill the player instantly.

the above recording is from a level which uses no additional scripts, on the latest hotfix.
Interesting. To my knowledge this is something that always happened. What version does this reliably work on?
kimoxq wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:48 am
thank you for addressing this. now, speaking of playtesting, its nothing too bad. theres a reason of mine specifically why i think testing is a bit different than beta 4 and i think this is more of a "me" difficulty im having. since f5=test a level, adding a shortcut to start the whole game would be great or at least put it bellow regular testing (the f5 one) like it was in beta 4 so its more quicker, since i do a lot of world map testing that i dont wanna save yet etc.

keep in mind, its not the end of the world that this changed in terms of testing and costumes, because it may seem like it but its not, i just wanna clarify that. i was trying to suggest if testing can be more "quicker" to do if you get what im trying to say
Try the "test a saved game" button in the editor when editing the world map, and let me know if that works for you. I believe it uses save index 0, so if you want to reset the save, you can delete the associated save files.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:45 pm

Emral wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:58 pm
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:39 pm

Do you have custom bros in your level? Please update them to make sure they have all the NPC config defined. https://docs.codehaus.moe/#/features/np ... 14-616-618
I mean, I did have them shot out a different hammer that had MDA's rotation code, but I'm not sure if that affected anything.
Emral wrote:
deice wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:36 am
deice wrote:

Interesting. To my knowledge this is something that always happened. What version does this reliably work on?
I think that he said B4 in one of the older posts.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:33 am

Emral wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:58 pm
To my knowledge this is something that always happened.
you'd actually be right, it turns out this was a matter of additional scripts after all, and i simply neglected to test it more thoroughly. my apologies, you're free to disregard my original post in the thread.

Jumper
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Jumper » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:09 am

Something interesting I've found with the new compatibility update with Semi-solids and Slopes, I wanted to see if I can also add the Sizeable setting alongside them. It does work, albeit with caveats.

Spoiler: show
please ignore the graphics used; it was only for testing purposes

It produces a weird visual bug where the center piece is reused, filling in the gaps of the sizeable block.
I'm assuming that the sizeable setting is not compatible with the slope setting, as it was intended for sizeable semi-solids.

Aside from looking strange, it functions like a semi-solid slope.

I'm using the first release of b5, with no patches if that helps.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:04 pm

Jumper wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:09 am
Something interesting I've found with the new compatibility update with Semi-solids and Slopes, I wanted to see if I can also add the Sizeable setting alongside them. It does work, albeit with caveats.

It produces a weird visual bug where the center piece is reused, filling in the gaps of the sizeable block.
I'm assuming that the sizeable setting is not compatible with the slope setting, as it was intended for sizeable semi-solids.

First things first: I am very sure, if you report a bug that the development team kind of "expects" you to use the latest build.
After all, we all have to come down to the same denominator.
Unless it is about to show evidences that something suddently broke in a recent build and nobody knows.

Yeah, I do think as well Semi-Solid Sizeables are not possible.
I suggest you to do it like that.
I "blocked" all background objects only showing the actual walkable blocks here (the bgos have the priority of -89, nearly the same as actual sizeables):
I changed the semi-solid as like shown here, cutting of the edges

And now something different:
Honestly I actually expected the shell to get "killed" instead of being stuck. For spawning I used a Respawner, as I wanted to make sure, only ONE of these shells is active at the same time. But this unexpected behaviour kinda "kills" it.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:45 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:04 pm
Honestly I actually expected the shell to get "killed" instead of being stuck. For spawning I used a Respawner, as I wanted to make sure, only ONE of these shells is active at the same time. But this unexpected behavior kinda "kills" it.
Welp, that's SMBX for you. I do think that antizip fixes it, but I'm not sure if that's what you want.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:53 pm

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:45 pm
Just_Thomas wrote:
Honestly I actually expected the shell to get "killed" instead of being stuck. For spawning I used a Respawner, as I wanted to make sure, only ONE of these shells is active at the same time. But this unexpected behavior kinda "kills" it.
Welp, that's SMBX for you. I do think that antizip fixes it, but I'm not sure if that's what you want.
It is worth a try, thanks for the tip.

Jumper
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Jumper » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:20 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Jumper wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:09 am

First things first: I am very sure, if you report a bug that the development team kind of "expects" you to use the latest build.
After all, we all have to come down to the same denominator.
Unless it is about to show evidences that something suddently broke in a recent build and nobody knows.

Yeah, fair enough.
In hindsight, I should've updated with the new patch ASAP.

Yeah, I do think as well Semi-Solid Sizeables are not possible.
I suggest you to do it like that.
I "blocked" all background objects only showing the actual walkable blocks here (the bgos have the priority of -89, nearly the same as actual sizeables):
I changed the semi-solid as like shown here, cutting of the edges

Yeah, it's probably for the best.
I have my doubts they'd create a new block-type just for sloped semi-solid sizeables.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion.

Mushroom King
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Mushroom King » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:13 am

I guess technically it can count as a bug: Would it be possible to give the SMB2 cherry the sound normally used when the player collects it, who isn't the coin sound?

https://www.sounds-resource.com/game_bo ... ound/8830/

If I am not wrong, it should be “song189.wav” in this archive. I also think this sound was played for SMB2 floating hearts.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:44 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:53 pm
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:45 pm
Just_Thomas wrote:
It is worth a try, thanks for the tip.
Did not work, but looks like antizip is for the player only anyway.
Mushroom King wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:13 am
I guess technically it can count as a bug: Would it be possible to give the SMB2 cherry the sound normally used when the player collects it, who isn't the coin sound?

https://www.sounds-resource.com/game_bo ... ound/8830/

If I am not wrong, it should be “song189.wav” in this archive. I also think this sound was played for SMB2 floating hearts.
I also noticed. ALSO it should not act like a coin in the first place.

Mushroom King
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Mushroom King » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:22 am

I also must say, and I mean no offense to anyone who worked on it, I am not understanding the new item “poison vegetable”. It is basically a guarantee of hurt, or worst when in a small state, it is a guarantee of death if the player throws it and only adds an undesirable layer of frustration and unfairness to the gameplay. I really don't think it adds any enjoyment or balance to the game. I am guessing, perhaps, you simply wanted something who is the opposite of the Heart Radish from SMBA, but I really just feel it's totally unfair and not an enjoyable challenge. The only positive thing I can say about it is the sprite is pretty.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:26 pm

Mushroom King wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:22 am
I also must say, and I mean no offense to anyone who worked on it, I am not understanding the new item “poison vegetable”. It is basically a guarantee of hurt, or worst when in a small state, it is a guarantee of death if the player throws it and only adds an undesirable layer of frustration and unfairness to the gameplay. I really don't think it adds any enjoyment or balance to the game. I am guessing, perhaps, you simply wanted something who is the opposite of the Heart Radish from SMBA, but I really just feel it's totally unfair and not an enjoyable challenge. The only positive thing I can say about it is the sprite is pretty.
What I will say about our rotten friend, the poison vegetable, is that it'll inconsistently harm the player when throwing/holding/standing on it. And to counter Mushroom King, you could use it as an unreliable helper in late-game areas that have a SMB2 vibe as a little decision the player has to make.

vinihuebr
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: gaming skill

Postby vinihuebr » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:36 am

hey umm... i dunno why but when i stomp a cannon ball when it comes out of the canon, i get a error message. can someone help me?
i get this error when i stomp the cannon ball with a normal stomp, if i stomp it with the spin jump then nothing wrong happens.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:48 am

vinihuebr wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:36 am
hey umm... i dunno why but when i stomp a cannon ball when it comes out of the canon, i get a error message. can someone help me?
i get this error when i stomp the cannon ball with a normal stomp, if i stomp it with the spin jump then nothing wrong happens.

hi, sorry but your screenshot seems to obscure the NPCs in question. What ID are you referring to?

vinihuebr
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: gaming skill

Postby vinihuebr » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:05 am

Emral wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:48 am
vinihuebr wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:36 am

hi, sorry but your screenshot seems to obscure the NPCs in question. What ID are you referring to?
it was NPC-695 but nevermind. i managed to fix the problem by reinstalling the game.

Return to “General”