LUIGI'S QUEST: Trouble in Sarasaland (SMBX2) (1.1.5)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Re: LUIGI'S QUEST: Trouble in Sarasaland (SMBX2) (1.1)

Postby cato » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:56 am

The episode is overall solid. It is like a remaster of the original SML done well with the themes, kingdom bosses, and locations. It is a great transition between Beta 4 and Beta 5 with new assets used. I liked the visuals a lot, such as the use of the world map representing the levels and a majority of parallax backgrounds that were proven incredible. There are a lot of good-level ideas, and I see you are a great fan of sine-moving platforms. The Sarasium locations could use better spots instead of relying on the last jump to the bonus sections, but most of fine the way it is. Amongst the worlds, the Chai Kingdom is the most diverse one.

It took quite some passion and effort to build Luigi's adventure in this episode. Next to Delightful Adventure Remade, you are the second one to use voice lines for the characters, which adds to the already vibrant world.

DRA did a fine job with the bosses, the compatibility with the original ones worked pretty well. The newly added Blarggazilla boss is probably the best with the number of attacks. I think the 4 Kingdom boss and Tatanga are pretty underwhelming considering how much the cutscene hyped them. I thought of that during the all-bosses recording session. The cumulative time for the 5 bosses on the video is probably the same as the 2 midbosses in the Muda kingdom. The latter just took way too long with essentially the same attacks over and over.

I think the biggest flaw comes not from the gameplay but from the management. Counting the boss rush video, I have played through the episode 3.5 times. The first is a 3-hour long session in v1.00 while the thread is still fresh with the 3 softlocks. The gameplay for the videos is at v1.03 to v1.08 in Beta 4, and now v1.1 in Beta 5. The number of day-one patches and hotfixes to softlocks goes without saying, and more remain in v1.1 currently:
  • Vine warp visible before hitting the block
  • Elevator activating with controls locked in the Mine level despite spawning at the checkpoint
  • Hidden friendly Waluigi layer in Ambush 2
  • Final cutscene not loading due to the SMW orb not being win type 5
  • Unnecessary savedata for intros when gamedata is suffice
It is concerning how many of those slipped past the testing and it seemed to be rushed. My edits in the video have some funny bits and problems in it. Take a couple of days and you might find yourself going for a Beta5-based episode in the first place. Again, this came from someone who played the episode 100% 3 times, especially on different versions.

That's my impression of the episode. Maybe if I waited straight for the Beta 5 fixed version I would have a better perspective on the overall impression. Even then, there are only a few quality projects nowadays due to inactivity. With this, it opened a new era of dedicated projects and works (on Beta 5).

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Re: LUIGI'S QUEST: Trouble in Sarasaland (SMBX2) (1.1)

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:08 am

cato wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:56 am
The episode is overall solid. It is like a remaster of the original SML done well with the themes, kingdom bosses, and locations. It is a great transition between Beta 4 and Beta 5 with new assets used. I liked the visuals a lot, such as the use of the world map representing the levels and a majority of parallax backgrounds that were proven incredible. There are a lot of good-level ideas, and I see you are a great fan of sine-moving platforms. The Sarasium locations could use better spots instead of relying on the last jump to the bonus sections, but most of fine the way it is. Amongst the worlds, the Chai Kingdom is the most diverse one.

It took quite some passion and effort to build Luigi's adventure in this episode. Next to Delightful Adventure Remade, you are the second one to use voice lines for the characters, which adds to the already vibrant world.
Thanks for saying that! Me and my team of people working on the project really had to make sure this project ended up being very well and enjoyable to play, especially with a good chunk of people testing during the development procedure. I'll come back to this later.
cato wrote:
DRA did a fine job with the bosses, the compatibility with the original ones worked pretty well. The newly added Blarggazilla boss is probably the best with the number of attacks. I think the 4 Kingdom boss and Tatanga are pretty underwhelming considering how much the cutscene hyped them. I thought of that during the all-bosses recording session. The cumulative time for the 5 bosses on the video is probably the same as the 2 midbosses in the Muda kingdom. The latter just took way too long with essentially the same attacks over and over.
Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. The reason behind SML bosses being so underwhelming compared to the original ones is... Well the SML bosses are 1:1 recreations of the original bosses with some new additions added. Meanwhile the original bosses are concepts I have conjured up, thus having a seasoned boss designer like DraCalgar did a great job with them overall. Since I didn't want to change the main bosses too much, I instead added multiple phases to them to make them more challenging. (SHMUP levels having generators of enemies as new attacks is for that reason; adding more new attacks with changing the boss would take more time for development.)
cato wrote:
I think the biggest flaw comes not from the gameplay but from the management. Counting the boss rush video, I have played through the episode 3.5 times. The first is a 3-hour long session in v1.00 while the thread is still fresh with the 3 softlocks. The gameplay for the videos is at v1.03 to v1.08 in Beta 4, and now v1.1 in Beta 5. The number of day-one patches and hotfixes to softlocks goes without saying, and more remain in v1.1 currently:
  • Vine warp visible before hitting the block
  • Elevator activating with controls locked in the Mine level despite spawning at the checkpoint
  • Hidden friendly Waluigi layer in Ambush 2
  • Final cutscene not loading due to the SMW orb not being win type 5
  • Unnecessary savedata for intros when gamedata is suffice
It is concerning how many of those slipped past the testing and it seemed to be rushed. My edits in the video have some funny bits and problems in it. Take a couple of days and you might find yourself going for a Beta5-based episode in the first place. Again, this came from someone who played the episode 100% 3 times, especially on different versions.

That's my impression of the episode. Maybe if I waited straight for the Beta 5 fixed version I would have a better perspective on the overall impression. Even then, there are only a few quality projects nowadays due to inactivity. With this, it opened a new era of dedicated projects and works (on Beta 5).
Yeah, the other testers have pretty much only gathered so we can make sure the episode would work well upon release. (We all went in our own projects after it was over so it was just me for the patches) But most of the issues that rose after release and patched up is all my overlookings. I tend up forgetting so many things due to outside pressure and just wanting to release the episode ASAP before real life things take me away and delay the release for the next 6 months.

I had always planned to update the episode when Beta 5 dropped, so the opportunity presented itself very well with the bugs thankfully. At least this kind of things gave me a better lesson on actually being more responsible with self-testing more and more without too much pressure.

Also yeah, I guess playing it early really wasn't a good idea. If I was told you were playing the episode in advance, I could have acted quicker on fixes but alas, I get news a bit too late on who plays the episode when... :(

But TLDR, I'll take a look at the issues you pointed out (Hopefully HOPEFULLY these are the LAST of it ISTFG :oops: ) and release the final FINAL patch update for good, and just move on from it and see people enjoy the episode without bugs.

(EDIT: I fixed all of the bugs you mentioned. And I'll release the version 1.1.2 which should hopefully clear everything that's with the episode in terms of bugs and other issues. As for the last issue, I still replaced SaveData with GameData; however I will still make them disabled upon defeating the boss just so the intro skips won't linger until you close the game. That's a stylistic choice I decided to make.)

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: LUIGI'S QUEST: Trouble in Sarasaland (SMBX2) (1.1.2)

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:58 pm

Hello people! I've just updated the episode to version 1.1.2, which fixes issues pointed out by Cato Wong in the above post! (+ a few fixes I noticed myself...)

I hope this is the last patch as I believe I fixed everything this time. But if I end up forgetting something, let me know.

Anyways, before we wrap the post up; here are the fixes:
Spoiler: show

- Made the secret warp in 2-3 only accessible after hitting the vine block.
- Fixed an issue in 2-6 where you could get stuck and die by the descending elevator before the checkpoint. Now there is a GameData value that makes sure the trigger is gone after you exit that elevator.
- Changed the boss intro skips using SaveData values to GameData values.
- Fixed friendly Waluigi not appearing at the start in W Ambush II.
- Fixed a broken dialogue in 1-6.
- Fixed a broken event call in Cutscene 4.
- Removed smg-title.ogg (A remnant of nobrokensmbxkicker.lua I kept forgetting to delete.)
- Changed the music played in Funghi Village. (Decided that the new theme can fit more to the theme of "village of immigrant Toads".)

Enjoy the fixes!

lan vuhoang
Bit
Bit

Postby lan vuhoang » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:50 pm

What version is this episode designed for? Because SMBX2b5 just came out, and when I run it on beta 4, I get a Lua error upon starting a level, and the piranha plants in the first level is glitched.

Also, thanks Copilot for suggesting "error" after I type "Lua"! Now if only I could make use of Edge's AI-writing features on Firefox...

Added in 4 minutes 39 seconds:
Using Edge has been quite a bit of an experience. Initially I just used Edge because Antimatter Dimensions run better on Chromium-based browsers than in Firefox, but now that I discovered Edge's AI writing features, I kinda want to try to switch to using Edge full-time.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:29 am

lan vuhoang wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:55 pm
What version is this episode designed for? Because SMBX2b5 just came out, and when I run it on beta 4, I get a Lua error upon starting a level, and the piranha plants in the first level is glitched.

Also, thanks Copilot for suggesting "error" after I type "Lua"! Now if only I could make use of Edge's AI-writing features on Firefox...

Added in 4 minutes 39 seconds:
Using Edge has been quite a bit of an experience. Initially I just used Edge because Antimatter Dimensions run better on Chromium-based browsers than in Firefox, but now that I discovered Edge's AI writing features, I kinda want to try to switch to using Edge full-time.
I'd suggest you should scroll up, since version 1.1 onwards, this episode will only work in Beta 5. (Because it uses the new basegame content)

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: LUIGI'S QUEST: Trouble in Sarasaland (SMBX2) (1.1.3)

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:04 am

Hello everyone! I've just updated the episode to version 1.1.3! It's a small update that features an updated version of the Sky/Marine pop mounts with some new additions to levels that use them!

Also, I added death sounds to all main bosses that previously lacked them!

So if you want to update the episode, just replace all folders and you should be fine.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:57 am

Hello everyone! It's been a while, hasn't it? I found out some graphical issues while watching SuperAlex's playthrough, so I decided to release a quick patch for people who already downloaded 1.1.3!

Make sure to put these fixed files into the episode folder to take effect!

lan vuhoang
Bit
Bit

Postby lan vuhoang » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:17 am

So after beating the episode, here's a few suggestions for future updates:
1. Re-enable smwMap's "pick a checkpoint to restart a level at" feature. The only reason I feel like justifies the feature being disabled is causing a bug with the final stage's boss rush, but I feel like a bug in one stage isn't enough justification for disabling a very useful quality-of-life feature.
2. There's still some bugs to iron out. For example, at least in the VERY recently released SMBX2 beta 5.1, if you jump into the Sky Pop at the end of the final stage instead of walking into it so Luigi board it and begin Tatanga's second phase, Luigi zips in the opposite direction he's facing. If he's facing right, he's just deposited next to the Sky Pop so he can pilot it correctly, but if he's facing left (which is more likely due to the player having to make altitude corrections), Luigi zips straight into the bottomless pit to the right of the Sky Pop. Better hope the player isn't on their last life and have to redo the platforming section with insta-kill laser, the boss rush and Tatanga's first phase again...

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:14 am

lan vuhoang wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:17 am
So after beating the episode, here's a few suggestions for future updates:
1. Re-enable smwMap's "pick a checkpoint to restart a level at" feature. The only reason I feel like justifies the feature being disabled is causing a bug with the final stage's boss rush, but I feel like a bug in one stage isn't enough justification for disabling a very useful quality-of-life feature.
2. There's still some bugs to iron out. For example, at least in the VERY recently released SMBX2 beta 5.1, if you jump into the Sky Pop at the end of the final stage instead of walking into it so Luigi board it and begin Tatanga's second phase, Luigi zips in the opposite direction he's facing. If he's facing right, he's just deposited next to the Sky Pop so he can pilot it correctly, but if he's facing left (which is more likely due to the player having to make altitude corrections), Luigi zips straight into the bottomless pit to the right of the Sky Pop. Better hope the player isn't on their last life and have to redo the platforming section with insta-kill laser, the boss rush and Tatanga's first phase again...
1. I never disabled that feature, as it was disabled by default. And besides, the fact that it spawns you on last checkpoint is justifiable enough by any means since you get powerups after each checkpoint. Not to mention by enabling it, I have to adjust the checkpoint order for each level, since at certain points, I added some checkpoints later while designing them, so it'll be confusing. But fixing them is no issue, so I'll handle it.

2. That's a very specific bug you noticed, great job. That's an easy fix by expanding the invisible barrier zone so Luigi doesn't clip out.

As a bonus note, I was planning to update the episode anyway with a new script released that I'll use for Marine Spire, so your timing is quite on point. I'll fix these right away.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: LUIGI'S QUEST: Trouble in Sarasaland (SMBX2) (1.1.5)

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:45 am

Hello everyone! I'm back with yet another patch update! But this time, it's bigger! The most notable change is the rising water gimmick of Marine Spire has been revamped completely, now using Akromaly's easyliquids.lua script!

The download link is updated, and this time, I'll be adding a small patch update file as well for people who's been playing the episode currently!

MrNix
Goomba
Goomba

Postby MrNix » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:41 pm

I've played the episode some time ago and decided to write a short review.
(Spoilers are included)

I believe the episode is great in its own regard with level variety and design making it a engaging journey as Luigi ventures through Sarasaland from the fungal village all the way towards the moon with a easy to follow story and a fun experience to go along with it.

The best parts about the episode:
The underwater and Chai levels were some of the best with good music choice, really great tileset and background gfx. They feel unique from start to end. The dragon level itself brought good memories from a Koopa's revenge 2 almost making it my favourite level.

The difficultly of the episode doesn't jump up a steep curve but instead gradually builds on a slope hill that is perfect to build up challenge and be inviting to players who have less experience with smbx making it a beginner friendly episode.

The boss battles being variety and a good challenge that scales as the episode progresses. My favourites were the giant Blargg and the first phase of Tatanga's fight.

The secret areas for finding the sarasan shards are well made with some needing a bit more thinking to find them. I do recommend that some of the shards shouldn't have to be found at the end of levels at the top exit as that (at least to me) discourages players exploring the level to find them.

The addition of Waluigi to the episode is one of the best parts of the episode and even has a good explanation on why he's here in the first place, as a mercenary needing some cash and to beat his rival, two in one done deal. Definitely a favourite.

The sounds made by characters like Luigi, Waluigi, Tatanga, etc. when they speak is a great touch to detail and makes the episode feel alive and engaging.

Things that weren't as cool and could be improved in the future:
Some parts of the map have a lack of interesting scenery in areas like Easton kingdom (i'm referring to the first half. other half is mostly interesting) and chai skies, despite having unique gfx can feel a little boring and empty. This is especially apparent at the last section of the episode that is inside the moonbase where it looks like a large empty room, that could've been mitigated with the possible addition of tvboards, Tatanga flags or some machinery to make the location unique.

The secret areas found on some of the moon missions feel like they were supposed to keep some sarasan shards but since they can only be found on earth and the exits take the player not far from the entrance don't feel rewarding as these areas can be difficult. It could've held a series of secret 1-ups or something special to make it worth going into these areas in the first place.

Tatanga's second phase did feel underwhelming and easier compared to the first phase but I can't say too much since it did still feel challenging to me.

Hiyoihoi boss fight can be beaten easily by just holding the block right next to them and not letting go ending the fight in seconds. It could be made better by having the boss sit on a higher area or the block breaking after hitting the boss once.

Now to wrap it up with a conclusion:
In summary I believe this episode is a very good starting point for people who want to get into smbx episodes to experience something fun without the fear of a sudden difficulty hike. It can be completed in a relatively short time and be enjoyable. Therefore I recommend playing it.

Overall: 8.5/10

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:11 am

MrNix wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:41 pm
I've played the episode some time ago and decided to write a short review.
(Spoilers are included)

I believe the episode is great in its own regard with level variety and design making it a engaging journey as Luigi ventures through Sarasaland from the fungal village all the way towards the moon with a easy to follow story and a fun experience to go along with it.

The best parts about the episode:
The underwater and Chai levels were some of the best with good music choice, really great tileset and background gfx. They feel unique from start to end. The dragon level itself brought good memories from a Koopa's revenge 2 almost making it my favourite level.

The difficultly of the episode doesn't jump up a steep curve but instead gradually builds on a slope hill that is perfect to build up challenge and be inviting to players who have less experience with smbx making it a beginner friendly episode.

The boss battles being variety and a good challenge that scales as the episode progresses. My favourites were the giant Blargg and the first phase of Tatanga's fight.

The secret areas for finding the sarasan shards are well made with some needing a bit more thinking to find them. I do recommend that some of the shards shouldn't have to be found at the end of levels at the top exit as that (at least to me) discourages players exploring the level to find them.

The addition of Waluigi to the episode is one of the best parts of the episode and even has a good explanation on why he's here in the first place, as a mercenary needing some cash and to beat his rival, two in one done deal. Definitely a favourite.

The sounds made by characters like Luigi, Waluigi, Tatanga, etc. when they speak is a great touch to detail and makes the episode feel alive and engaging.

Things that weren't as cool and could be improved in the future:
Some parts of the map have a lack of interesting scenery in areas like Easton kingdom (i'm referring to the first half. other half is mostly interesting) and chai skies, despite having unique gfx can feel a little boring and empty. This is especially apparent at the last section of the episode that is inside the moonbase where it looks like a large empty room, that could've been mitigated with the possible addition of tvboards, Tatanga flags or some machinery to make the location unique.

The secret areas found on some of the moon missions feel like they were supposed to keep some sarasan shards but since they can only be found on earth and the exits take the player not far from the entrance don't feel rewarding as these areas can be difficult. It could've held a series of secret 1-ups or something special to make it worth going into these areas in the first place.

Tatanga's second phase did feel underwhelming and easier compared to the first phase but I can't say too much since it did still feel challenging to me.

Hiyoihoi boss fight can be beaten easily by just holding the block right next to them and not letting go ending the fight in seconds. It could be made better by having the boss sit on a higher area or the block breaking after hitting the boss once.

Now to wrap it up with a conclusion:
In summary I believe this episode is a very good starting point for people who want to get into smbx episodes to experience something fun without the fear of a sudden difficulty hike. It can be completed in a relatively short time and be enjoyable. Therefore I recommend playing it.

Overall: 8.5/10
I checked the review! I am glad to see more people playing the episode and leaving such reviews so I can know what to improve for my anything I make in the future!

I will not comment on the positive things, but rather the criticisms instead;

- For the first one; Easton simply lacked enough map sceneries to make use of
Same can be said for inside moonbase submap. (Especially when most aesthetics in the last few stages were added late in development, so we simply didn't add any more aesthetic additions as a result. (The stability of the map was more important)

- The secrets in last 4 stages were also added late in development, as a response for the levels to not encourage enough exploration unlike the rest of the episode. The shards were never planned for last world anyway.

Tatanga Phase 2, unlike Phase 1, which was coded from the scratch, it was based on the SML boss itself, so it needed to be recoded if we wanted to add new attacks, which would add more scope creep. In the end, I just chose to add a more cinematic fight with parallax movement and moving angry stars to make it that you and Tatanga were on a space chase.

As for the last thing, every boss has that kind of cheese with blue bricks. Hiyoihoi happened to be the victim of that consequence in this case, lol.

Overall, thanks for the review! I hope more people plays the episode and more people leave reviews/criticisms such extent instead of "it good" or "it sucks".

halibabica
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: o.o
Pronouns: I'm a dude

Premier of Trouble in Sarasaland

Postby halibabica » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:09 am

My request queue ran out so I've inflicted myself upon your episode:

This premiers in about 12.5 hours from the time of posting.

Return to “Episodes”