SMBX2 Redstone Contest(STARTS NOW)(SUBMIT HERE)

For hosting contests and events.

Moderator: Event Organizers

MarioChallengerX2
Dolphin
Dolphin
Pronouns: he/him

SMBX2 Redstone Contest(STARTS NOW)(SUBMIT HERE)

Postby MarioChallengerX2 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:47 pm

it's finally time.

So, here are we. After a contest of official chocolate ends, a new one starts. However, it ain't your regular chocolate here. It's milk chocolate.

But anyway, welcome to the Redstone Engine Contest!

To quote myself from last time I explained what this contest is about:
SetaYoshi has a special NPC pack called the Redstone NPC Pack. It's a nice toolkit to improve and modify any level, and you can achieve greater dreams with the power of lua code within!

Now, it's come to my attention that I don't see much people apart from me using it. (To be fair, I haven't made a level with the pack yet, but I'm using it for my episode so, there's me. Also, Future Nyan Cat apparently used it before as there is a GFX pack for the pack specifically! :D

This is why I wanted to make the Redstone Engine Contest. I want this pack to be well known and used to improve your SMBX Episodes or levels.
Now, let me state the rules for this contest!

#1. You must download and use the contest devkit made by me.(credits on what’s included in it below) in order for your submission to be eligible for the contest.
#2. You must use Redstone extensively throughout the level. This rule might be vague but essentially, if you want to do something unique, like a switch gate with layers, find a way to do it with Redstone. Try to make as many creative setups using this pack!
#3. You can use custom NPCs. However, in Seta’s NPC pack, there are non-Redstone versions of some NPCS in the main NPC pack. You are not allowed to use those. Additionally, beware of strange oddities you might have with custom NPCs. Specifically, with the Pistons. Pushing them may sometimes give unexpected results! But if you can use it to your advantage, go for it! :D (It’s all about being creative!)
#4. The biggest challenge. The only thing that you can only use Luna lua files for are for loading libraries like littledialogue, but you are not allowed to code anywhere else from that. You can ONLY use lua code through command block execution.(and control chips to an extent)
This is my favorite rule! Seta's test level truly shows an example of a Redstone Level at its core. Using only command blocks to execute code and no luna lua files included! With this creative restriction, there's no doubt what you can create with this cool pack! (There will be tips on how to “replicate basic functions” from Lunalua later in the post, since according to Seta, those aren’t accessible in the command block environment.)

Anyway, here's an important link right here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link
The devkit I mentioned just now! It contains the Redstone pack + fakeblocks to help you out when construct your contraptions!

With that out of the way, here's the Rubric!

??/40: Redstone Engine: How much components of Redstone did you use? How much contraptions did you make? Or did you not use Redstone at all and just make a simple vanillalish level with a luna.lua file?

??/20: Creativeness: How creative are the contraptions of the level? Are they complex? Are they simplistic? Are they well hidden? Do they blend or mesh well with the scenery?

??/15: Gameplay: Is your level tough, is your level fun, does your level look pretty?

??/15: Level Type Skill: How good was your type of level? Was your level modified with Redstone different compared to any other level you played? Was your puzzle level very confusing or simple to understand? How cool were your boss' attacks modified with Redstone power?

??/-10: Lag and Stability: This is a penalty category, not getting any points in this will reward you 10 points. The reason why this category exists is because Redstone can lag your game sometimes. Be cautious and try to minimize lag if you can.

Bonus:

??/10: Power Levels: In Redstone, there are power levels involved ranging from a scale of 15-0. How you use these is up to you, but if you decide to use power levels in a creative way using code with command blocks, or using the operator block for logical operations, you will gain extra points!

Extra tips:

You can turn any NPC invisible in case you want to make flamethrower setups or some other stuff. (a flag for that exists)
You can also mute any NPC if you wish. (But use the NPC flag for that)
If you want to get more interesting, change the graphics for some blocks if you’re experienced enough in doing that! You can make it part of the environment if you like!

I'll let anyone submit up to 3 levels per person / team. People can enter as a duo or trio if they wish. The types of levels that are encouraged for this contest are puzzle levels and boss levels, not that you HAVE to make them, you can make anything else but I'd love to see what you can personally make in puzzle elements or boss elements using these limitations.

And now, the lunalua events that you can replicate!

(the essentials)

onStart: Place a pulse command block where Mario is at, power it with something once and run your code there.

onTick: You can create multlple onTicks in this case, with the repeating command block by powering it.

onEvent: Make a setup where you trigger an SMBX event and it sets off a command block code.

onDraw: Same thing with a pulse command block. There's no real discrimination.

And that should be what you need. (it's what the luna.lua file template has anyway, minus onDraw)

I hope you enjoy making levels for this contest with the rules I've set!

Contest starts: November 9, 2023
Contest ends: December 19, 2023.

Judges:
Megadood
SetaYoshi
Me!(MarioChallengerX2)

The winners will receive medals of course! (can't show right now, still making them!

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: :)
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: SMBX2 Redstone Contest(STARTS NOW)(SUBMIT HERE)

Postby Yoshi021 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:04 pm

Hype!!!

KurttheKing
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: Certified Nerd
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: SMBX2 Redstone Contest(STARTS NOW)(SUBMIT HERE)

Postby KurttheKing » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:43 pm

Heck yeah!

Return to “Contests and Events”