warioHealth.lua - Basegame Wario's biggest design constraint, now solved!!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
MrNameless
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: vidio gaem

warioHealth.lua - Basegame Wario's biggest design constraint, now solved!!

Postby MrNameless » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:45 am

Hello there!

After hearing various critiques on Basegame Wario's biggest design constraint (that being losing all his abilities when being small)
& having some small personal critiques of my own...

I've decided to take matters into my own hands & made this new health system that looks & functions similarly to Wario Land 4!
With even having a toggleable ability to gain to fill up a small bar with coins to regain health!

Also included in the library are a bunch of configurable settings!
CONFIGURABLE SETTINGS: show
- warioHealth.startingHP <- how much health should wario start out with? (2 by default)
- warioHealth.HPCap <- what is the maximum health possible for wario to have? (3 by default, maximum of 8 only.)
- warioHealth.forceHP <- should wario always be forced to start out with whatever the startingHP is set to (false by default)
- warioHealth.coinBarToggle <- should wario have a mini bar that gives him 1 health everytime he collects enough coins (true by default)
- warioHealth.smallOnLow <- should wario become small whenever he has one health left? (false by default)
- warioHealth.beepOnLow <- should there be a constant beeping sound whenever wario has one health left? (true by default)
- warioHealth.hurtKnockback <- should wario take a bit of knockback upon getting hurt? (true by default)
- warioHealth.keepReserveBox <- should wario be able to store backup items like how mario & luigi could? (false by default)
- warioHealth.workAllChars <- should this script be usable with ALL characters aside from Wario? (false by default)

EXTRA SCREENSHOTS: show

Urchin Bay by Max711

Verdant Rapture by FutureNyanCat

CHANGELOG: show
1.0.0 (February 27, 2024)
- Proper ""Grand""" release. (Now im slightly somewhat satisfied on how I programmed it!)
- Powering up forced states are now sped up to be in line with powering down.
- GUI now properly hides whenever Graphics.activateHud() is set to false.
- Slight improvements on how some things were handled, such as coin/powerup collecting.

0.9.0 (September 27, 2023)
- Initial soft release. (Not 1.0.0 yet because im not fully satisfied on how I programmed it.)

HOW TO IMPLEMENT: show
1. Copy/Cut/Move & Paste the warioHealth.lua & it's graphics & sounds folder into the level/episode folder of your choice.
2. Open up the luna.lua file of said chosen level/episode
3.Go to the top of that script file to copy & paste this line:

local warioHealth = require("warioHealth")

4. Save that luna.lua file & open up the level with the warioHealth script & have fun!

DOWNLOAD:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14AVsEW ... sp=sharing

Last edited by MrNameless on Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game
Pronouns: he/him

Re: warioHealth.lua - Basegame Wario's biggest design constraint, now fixed!

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:03 pm

Oooooh, extra HP for the heart-based characters? Sign me up!

So what I wanted to do is make heart-based characters have 6HP to not make anotherpowerdownlibrary.lua make those characters irrelevant. But I thought that it would be boring to make the HP just set to 6. Why not set it to 8, 10, 15, or even 255,586,035 HP. However, I wasn't sure how to make that or the HUD. I then saw this and it's amazing! I was wondering if I could use the warioHealth.HPCap function for my library. (With credit.)

MrNameless
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby MrNameless » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:56 pm

Oh ok sure! You're free to use the function for your script (though that's not really a function & more like a HP check)

Though, if you're planning the player to have loads of health, you might aswell make them immortal in that case.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game
Pronouns: he/him

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:49 pm

MrNameless wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:56 pm
Oh ok sure! You're free to use the function for your script (though that's not really a function & more like a HP check)

Though, if you're planning the player to have loads of health, you might aswell make them immortal in that case.
Thanks! (The absurd number was a, well, absurd example of what I wanted. The freedom to use an insane amount of HP if you wanted.)

Thundaga_T2
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Thundaga_T2 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:21 am

It would be cool if there was a way to have a starting max health of 3 and be able to upgrade that over the course of the game to end up with say a max health of 6 or 8. I want to use this regardless, this looks cool!

MrNameless
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Re: warioHealth.lua - Basegame Wario's biggest design constraint, now solved!!

Postby MrNameless » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:52 am

Hey everyone! Uhhhhh, after beta 5's release & it's introduction to a couple of new LunaLua events,
I've decided to finally to update & improve warioHealth to warrant a version 1.0.0, Wowie!!
Now this script is slightly less bad now! Crazy am I right?

Return to “LunaLua”