What's better Hub Worlds or World Maps?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Knitted_Egg
Bit
Bit
Flair: i am better obviously
Pronouns: he/him

What's better Hub Worlds or World Maps?

Postby Knitted_Egg » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:46 pm

The question is simple what do you think is better world maps or hub worlds? They're both pretty good with them appearing in a lot of mario games like Mario 64 and Mario Bros 3 for example. With both being very different.

AppleTheTomato
Bit
Bit
Flair: I am a Tomato named Apple.
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: What's better Hub Worlds or World Maps?

Postby AppleTheTomato » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:17 am

Imma be dead honest, it really depends on if you want your "main explorable area" to be another level or a world map. They can both BASICALLY do the same things, with a few advantages and disadvantages each, but it really just depends on which your personally prefer.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:48 am

Oh man, that's a tough one! World maps and hub worlds in Mario games both have their charms, and they've been part of the series for ages. World maps have a sort of classic feel to them, Super Mario Bros. 3 pioneered the world map, making it feel like you were embarking on a grand adventure, navigating through different lands and levels. It added a nice sense of progression and exploration as you moved from one area to another. Subsequent games like the New Super Mario Bros. series also make use of a world map like this; you'd hop around on the map, picking levels and branching paths – straightforward and familiar. NSMBU took it up a notch and connected all of the worlds together, with dynamic map music that changed instruments when you traveled across worlds. There were also powerups that you could collect on the map, as well as Baby Yoshis.

On the other hand, hub worlds bring a more immersive experience. Take Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel, for instance. The Comet Observatory and Starship Mario were not only breathtakingly beautiful but also interactive. It felt like you were living inside the Mario universe, which was super cool. Plus, you could access different galaxies and levels right from the different domes on the Comet Observatory. Super Mario 64 (the other game you mentioned) took place in Princess Peach's Castle as the hub world where you could jump into different paintings to go to levels.

Honestly, I think it comes down to personal preference. Some folks love the open-ended feel of hub worlds, while others adore the nostalgia and sense of adventure that world maps offer. Fortunately, Nintendo has been doing a fantastic job blending the two styles in their recent titles, giving players a variety of experiences. In the end, both world maps and hub worlds are pretty awesome in their own ways, and it's great that Mario games keep exploring different gameplay styles.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:37 am

here is how i think about it

I view maps/hubs through the lens of someone who just wants to get from level to level asap. As a result I always go for world maps when I can, or tight hubs if i need extra control .lvlx provides for aesthetic and player input (in contest episodes). I'm also trying to work as fast as possible, so writing level selects like those embedded in the hubs in SM64, Sunshine and Galaxy isn't a consideration for me, which is why the top right corner of the diagram is a little barren in options.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:24 am

Emral wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:37 am
here is how i think about it

I view maps/hubs through the lens of someone who just wants to get from level to level asap. As a result I always go for world maps when I can, or tight hubs if i need extra control .lvlx provides for aesthetic and player input (in contest episodes). I'm also trying to work as fast as possible, so writing level selects like those embedded in the hubs in SM64, Sunshine and Galaxy isn't a consideration for me, which is why the top right corner of the diagram is a little barren in options.
Ah, I totally get where you're coming from! When you're all about getting to those levels quickly and efficiently, world maps definitely seem like the way to go. They offer a straightforward and direct path to the action, allowing you to jump right into the gameplay without any unnecessary fluff.

And it makes sense that you'd prefer tight hubs too – they strike the right balance between aesthetic appeal and player control. You can have a visually pleasing area that still serves as a convenient launchpad to different levels. It's all about optimizing that level-to-level flow while keeping things visually appealing. It looks like you're someone who values functionality and speed, and that's totally valid. Writing level selects or creating complex hub layouts like in Super Mario 64, Sunshine, or Galaxy can be time-consuming, and if it doesn't add much to the player experience for you, then why bother, right?

Soupar Moriu
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: My project
Pronouns: He

Postby Soupar Moriu » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:36 am

Just based on how, but I mainly use WMs.

Ibaka
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Nothing

Postby Ibaka » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:45 am

Me personally, I like world maps, or just have the levels in a string with no in-between parts like the original smb1

Return to “General”