SMBX2 - Shaders do not work in Wine (Linux)

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards
Pronouns: He/Him

SMBX2 - Shaders do not work in Wine (Linux)

Postby ShadowXeldron » Mon May 22, 2023 10:53 am

This has been the case for a while now, but I'd like to ask if there's any aditional dependencies I may need to install. I have used the setup script that is included with the game.

What's happening is that shader effects (such as the caustics and the mist) do not work on any of my Linux systems when run through Wine.
Here's a screenshot of the Linux-native version of the editor and the game running in Wine (with the editor showing the screen effects set to Underwater). Note that the wavy effect does work, but the underwater caustics effect doesn't.
I recall it working fine in earlier versions of Wine (it definitely worked in Wine 7.2), but I don't really want to have to run the game through Lutris all the time just to make the shaders work (especially when testing levels).

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SMBX2 - Shaders do not work in Wine (Linux)

Postby Wohlstand » Wed May 31, 2023 6:01 pm

- What hardware you do have? (I mean the video card model)
- What driver version you do have installed?

There are two thinks in a mind: OR your hardware/driver is too old to get necessary shaders to work, OR there is a missing module at the Wine or at your system that prevents normal work of necessary shaders.

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: SMBX2 - Shaders do not work in Wine (Linux)

Postby ShadowXeldron » Wed May 31, 2023 7:31 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:01 pm
- What hardware you do have? (I mean the video card model)
- What driver version you do have installed?

There are two thinks in a mind: OR your hardware/driver is too old to get necessary shaders to work, OR there is a missing module at the Wine or at your system that prevents normal work of necessary shaders.
On my laptop, it's the integrated graphics in my CPU, which according to glxinfo is an Intel UHD Graphics 610 iGPU. On my desktop (which I manly use for SMBX) it's an Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti. As for driver versions I'm not sure (and I don't have access to the desktop right now) but it's running a rolling release distro and should always have up to date graphics drivers.

Return to “Help and Support”