lineguides not working, certain custom textures not working

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
erkyp3rky
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly theloaflord

lineguides not working, certain custom textures not working

Postby erkyp3rky » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:33 am

everything loads fine with custom tilesets in pge for latest smbx2 but when i test the level with lunatester i get this error message that only goes away if i press cancel (pressing ok makes it instantly pop back up)

as you can see some of the textures are also wrong (the background (is it because its paralax? how do you install paralax backgrounds? is there a special way?) and lineguides arent there)

this is what it looks like in pge

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: lineguides not working, certain custom textures not working

Postby Emral » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:42 am

Your npc-751.lua. It has an error. This error needs resolving. It is the reason why everything breaks.

The error in detail is that the game could not find the particles image for the palace switch particle burst effect for that NPC.
You should place a file called "part_color.png" in a "particles/switch/" subdirectory.
So, say, if your switch defines a custom color "purple", it would be "particles/switch/part_purple.png"

If it does not define a color at all, it kinda really needs to in order to work as a palace switch.
If you cannot solve it from here, I can help you more if you upload your level folder to share it with me.

erkyp3rky
Ninji
Ninji

Postby erkyp3rky » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:12 pm

thank you for your quick response and sorry for my late one... i will upload my level for a bit of help if thats ok?
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
i have a sneaking suspicion ive muddled up the custom textures, its been a long time since ive done so and i have not tried custom textures in smbx2 latest with all the new stuff.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:20 pm

chuckster wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:12 pm
thank you for your quick response and sorry for my late one... i will upload my level for a bit of help if thats ok?
i have a sneaking suspicion ive muddled up the custom textures, its been a long time since ive done so and i have not tried custom textures in smbx2 latest with all the new stuff.
Thank you for the upload! Though this folder seems to be incomplete. There should be more files, including a npc-751.lua. But the drive only contains background objects. Could you try uploading it as a ZIP archive?

erkyp3rky
Ninji
Ninji

Postby erkyp3rky » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:51 pm

Emral wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:20 pm
chuckster wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:12 pm
Thank you for the upload! Though this folder seems to be incomplete. There should be more files, including a npc-751.lua. But the drive only contains background objects. Could you try uploading it as a ZIP archive?
oh youre totally right! not sure how i missed that, sorry about that! ive zipped it up and uploaded it again for you. i downloaded it and unzipped to double check and it should all be in there!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xis2y5 ... sp=sharing

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:52 am

chuckster wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:51 pm
Thanks! Taking a look...
npc-751 and npc-752 define their palace switch colors as "white" and "dark", two colours not natively included in SMBX2. That's fine! That's intended to be possible. There's just a bit of setup missing in this situation, that's causing your error.
I noticed these NPCs come from the SMB2 expanded pack. So I took a look and found the missing files:
This folder "particles" from where you got the switch blocks needs to go into your level folder as well. It contains the images for the particle burst when hitting the switch palace switch. Their absence is causing the error.
If there is another error that shows up after fixing this one by copying the particles folder over, make sure to share the new error as well.

erkyp3rky
Ninji
Ninji

Postby erkyp3rky » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:36 am

it worked! it also fixed lineguides not appearing. thank you for the help. my only other question is miscellaneous at best: do you know how to install custom paralax backgrounds? do they need their own folder inside the custom graphics folder?

in any case, thank you for your help!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:42 am

chuckster wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:36 am
it worked! it also fixed lineguides not appearing. thank you for the help. my only other question is miscellaneous at best: do you know how to install custom paralax backgrounds? do they need their own folder inside the custom graphics folder?

in any case, thank you for your help!
Sweet! Glad that worked.

As for parallaxing backgrounds: They work the same as any other custom graphics. There is no custom range, so you will always replace one of the standard backgrounds. So in your level folder you would have a background2-1.png and a background2-1.txt, and any variation of other images that are loaded by the .txt. You can find all basegame parallaxing background txt files in data/config/backgrounds, as well as a template in data/_templates, if you need a reference for how to build your own.

erkyp3rky
Ninji
Ninji

Postby erkyp3rky » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:55 pm

got it to work! thanks for all your help 😁

Return to “Help and Support”