Add Custom Graphics?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
gratisposaune
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: He/Him

Add Custom Graphics?

Postby gratisposaune » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:29 am

Hello!
Today I tried to add a custom graphics pack to SMBX2 which fit the level theme I had in mind quite well, though I ran into an issue.
I copied all of the pack's contents into my world's folder, and it did seem to recognize it, but it simply didn't display the right tiles?

It did recognize the pack's name and all, but it just displays regular tiles instead of the custom ones.
Where is the problem here?
Thank you! :)

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Add Custom Graphics?

Postby Emral » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:53 am

custom world map graphics cannot be in a folder named after the .wld file.
You can either place them in the episode-wide graphics folder (i.e. worlds/episodename/graphics/tile; worlds/episodename/graphics/scene), or in the episode folder itself

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:12 am

op doesn't seem to be trying to replace world map graphics though, judging from the screenshot. assuming the graphics themselves are in the right place (they can't be in an arbitrary folder) maybe the level file itself isn't placed directly inside the episode folder? don't know if that can cause any issues.
gratisposaune wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:29 am
could you outline your folder structure more precisely? (maybe send a screenshot of your file explorer)

for example, if the pack had its content inside an extra folder, you can't just extract that folder and expect the graphics to work (but the pge tilesets still might, just as your screenshot shows)
if you want the changes to affect the entire episode, you put the image files themselves directly into your episode folder, or alternatively if they're only supposed to be for that level, make a folder with the level's name (without the extension) inside the episode folder and place them there

gratisposaune
Goomba
Goomba

Postby gratisposaune » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:44 pm

This is my file structure, "shitsngiggles" contains the level as well as the custom graphics copied from the custom graphics pack ^^

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:16 pm

gratisposaune wrote: This is my file structure, "shitsngiggles" contains the level as well as the custom graphics copied from the custom graphics pack ^^
my bad for not specifying, i was asking for how the contents of the shitsngiggles (in this case) folder are arranged.
as noted before if the image files are directly inside the folder i.e. shitsngiggles contains for example:
- block-1.png
- npc-1.png
- level.lvlx

all directly inside with no additional folders in between, those custom graphics should apply to any level in that episode folder.

gratisposaune
Goomba
Goomba

Postby gratisposaune » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:13 pm

Oh, sorry!
Yes, the image files are directly inside the folder.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:05 pm

deice wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:12 am
op doesn't seem to be trying to replace world map graphics though
I'm so blind! Sorry, i read "world" and was like "yep that's map graphics".

Could you upload a zip of your level and the level folder? That might be the fastest way to investigate.

gratisposaune
Goomba
Goomba

Postby gratisposaune » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:51 am

Actually, nevermind!
I'm not sure why, but I opened the level again today and suddenly it worked?
I'll just accept fate as it came my way, honestly, but thank you guys so much for the help!!

Return to “Help and Support”