No
20%

Total votes: 10
Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Re: Bad2Good Level Contest (deadline on January 9th)

Postby Alagirez » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:59 pm

Talking about the screenshots.., I just realized that there's no rule about the publicity of our entries.
Does it means are we allowed to send the progress publicly?

King Mario
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: Jesus Christ is Lord!
Pronouns: he/him

Postby King Mario » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:57 pm

My Level Submission is complete!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlur4ce8mpmgn ... e.zip?dl=0

Hopefully everyone will enjoy this beautiful level! I worked pretty hard on it, and there was a little less than a week left. It's been playtested, so it's beatable. If there's issues with the link or anything, please let me know.

TDK
Foo
Foo
Flair: Retired

Postby TDK » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:21 am

Alagirez wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:59 pm
Talking about the screenshots.., I just realized that there's no rule about the publicity of our entries.
Does it means are we allowed to send the progress publicly?
Yes.

King Mario
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: Jesus Christ is Lord!

Postby King Mario » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:40 pm

Fixed Level:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwxchrczwjovs ... e.zip?dl=0

I've fixed up my level a little bit. The minor changes should make the level easier to play now. There was a mispelling that I had to fix, for example. There shouldn't be anymore edits after this one.

TDK
Foo
Foo

Re: Bad2Good Level Contest (deadline in a few hours)

Postby TDK » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:30 pm

Deadline in a few hours (10pm UTC today), last chance to submit.
Pinging Contestants: show
ctrl_void wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:02 am
ping
Cloth pocket wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:23 pm
ping
Sirkibble64 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:43 pm
ping
Murphmario wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:15 am
ping
Stipkip wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:01 pm
ping
MrCool422 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:23 am
ping
Saltlord wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:15 am
ping

Re: Bad2Good Level Contest (deadline reached)
The deadline has been reached, no longer accepting submissions.

wyldstrykr
Bit
Bit

Re: Bad2Good Level Contest (deadline reached)

Postby wyldstrykr » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:38 pm

welp. cant find whats so bad about the level i picked. i lost.

TDK
Foo
Foo

Re: Bad2Good Level Contest (judging)

Postby TDK » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:16 pm

Since I haven't mentioned this, I have sent the levels to the judges a few days ago.
There are 20 submissions in total.
So it's now the judging period.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:34 pm

I only see 19 names bolded in on the contestant's list. Who is the 20th submitter?

TDK
Foo
Foo

Postby TDK » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:06 am

It's been a month, so there's a few things I should say.

1. First, feel free to publish your levels. There's no anonymity rule.

2. Second, 4 judges have submitted their reviews (their names are bold). So we're just waiting for one more judge.

3. Third, I'm currently on the process on creating medals and the level pack. Here's a preview:

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:24 am

TDK wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:06 am
Cool to see you are using the contestmapsystem from the Mystery Contest episode. There's lots of customization and information to put so good luck with that.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Alagirez » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:56 am

I would change the text color at the "Altitude Quest" section into black for contrast purposes.

TDK
Foo
Foo

Postby TDK » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:56 pm

Alagirez wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:56 am
I would change the text color at the "Altitude Quest" section into black for contrast purposes.
That place does indeed have some visibility issues.
I've decided to darken the background for Altitude Quest instead, since I think that was the simpler thing to do.

TDK
Foo
Foo

Re: Bad2Good Level Contest

Postby TDK » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:34 am

SetaYoshi has told me that he will be unable to do his reviews, so he will be dropped out.

All the remaining judges have submitted their reviews.

Expect results this weekend.

TDK
Foo
Foo

Re: Bad2Good Level Contest (RESULTS!)

Postby TDK » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:49 pm

The contest results have now been released!
Pinging Contestants: show
deice wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:51 am
ping
Alagirez wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:19 am
ping
SuperAlex wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:19 am
ping
Jur1121 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:57 am
ping
Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:59 am
ping
wyldstrykr wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:47 pm
ping
Twisted4932 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:08 pm
ping
Mal8rk wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:40 pm
ping
Sirkibble64 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:43 pm
ping
litchh wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:54 am
ping
Petraheim wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:29 pm
ping
8lue Storm wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:41 am
ping
Stipkip wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:01 pm
ping
DRACalgar Law wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:45 pm
ping
Dr Wally wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:52 pm
ping
AirShip wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:45 pm
ping
cato wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:15 am
ping
Mystery Man Bro wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:56 am
ping
amattson7919 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:50 am
ping
King Mario wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:14 pm
ping
20. smb65 (level_10) but its unbalanced and RNG heavy by wyldstrykr (6/50): show

Fun & Design: 2.25 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 3.25 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 0.5 / 5

Original : smb65
DisasterMaster wrote: What can I say about this level other than it’s exactly the same as the base bad level, but with random effects activated, some helpful and some annoyingly dangerous (such as Rinka spam). Then you have to beat it over and over again with an increasing amount of effects, likely leading to many unfair deaths.
If you manage to beat it enough times, you’re then subject to the most brutal Klonoa gauntlet ever requiring you to stay aloft while avoiding enemies and hurt blocks. I liked what you were trying to do with his downward throw, I wish it wasn’t just one giant pit and more lenient like the first few pits after changing characters.
Top it all off with a midair boss fight and you have a recipe for one of the most frustrating, throw-your-controller-at-a-wall levels to exist this year.

Fun & Design:0/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 1/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 0/5
Total: 1/50
Radiance wrote: RNG level means RNG scores: 18/30, 15/15, 3/5 - Total of 36/50. Nope too high.
There's little to no change on the visuals and the twists are usually there just to mess with the players.

Fun & Design:2/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 4/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 0/5
Total: 6/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: This stage is pretty random, basically is identical to the original, the only detail is that pressing the switch, it exchanges the goombas for parabeetles. I don't have much to say about this level, it has random placement of enemies, blocks and has no specific mechanics that makes it different or unique. Overall it is a stage that ran away from the idea of the contest by just copying the original stage.

Fun & Design:2/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:1/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 1/5
Total: 4/50
Sux wrote: This level is comical, and has a particular idea in its concept, a pity it did not culminate in a proper execution. Before I realized there was a need to beat it 6 times, I played it another dozen times counting my deaths, and the roguelike styled situations generated were whimsical and sometimes hilarious, with the problem of NPCs spam. After the rabbit situation, the level becomes a joke, the change of playable character to Klonoa who has an unusual gameplay and need to go in a Flappy Bird style through the obstacles is lame. The level could have been much better had it been taken seriously and the randomization features (even if uncalibrated) were better used, it could have the chance to become a very interesting experimental level.

Fun & Design:5/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:7/15; Polish & Aesthetics:1/5
Total: 13/50
Medals:
19. House of Longing by amattson7919 (12.75/50): show

Fun & Design: 7.75 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 4 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 1 / 5

Original: scary spooky
DisasterMaster wrote: What can I say other than this is the exact same level layout, except now we can’t touch any coins or the exact same enemy layout appears. Oh, this time we get a leaf instead of a fire flower if we hit the power-up block…huge difference!

Sure, not collecting the coins brings you to a secret exit, but that consists of many tight duck jumps and some very precise positioning to avoid them. Oddly enough, even though you can’t collect the coins in the open, you can still collect them from blocks without summoning the ghosts. And if you do make the apparitions appear, there are still the exact same tight corridors being blocked by them, forcing you to turn away and wait to clear your path. Luckily you can still use the many zips available to bypass a few ghosts.

You should have fixed the background cutoff in the end, instead of just mask it with fog.

Fun & Design:0/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 1/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 0/5
Total: 1/50
Radiance wrote: The twist is cool. Having a coinless gives a different feeling from maneuvering around Boos. It gives off more eerie feeling from the original though. Probably not from it being empty but from the text on the bottom corner. I think having it is cool since it's a ghost house after all, it just doesn't match with the vibes from the original level.
Cool implementation though, I had a blast playing it.

Fun & Design:25/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 10/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Total: 38/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: Well, if you steal my coins, the ghost will get you!
This stage has an interesting idea, but unfortunately was not well executed, because it is not clear exactly what happens if the player collects the coins. The level itself does not have many details that make it different from other ghosthouses, and in the end it becomes repetitive because it has no setups other than dodging ghosts. The phase is a little long, being very difficult to understand what exactly do to get to finish it, if you have to do something different or just need to get to the end, because it gives the impression that the phase never reaches the end. But in a moment it does. Also, the level is very tight in some parts. In relation to the remake, not much has changed, except for this possible mechanic of collecting the items, explained before. It is a difficult stage to judge, because there is not much to say about it. Overall, it is a stage with an idea that could have been well used, but that became vague to the player.

Fun & Design:3/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:4/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 1/5
Total: 8/50
Sux wrote: This level is almost a copy of the original, only adding some eeries and springboards. Just long and
cramped corridors with poorly distributed enemies, no elements to explore or that make the level even
remotely attractive to play. It’s the only case where it manages to make a level even worse instead of better.
Definitely a waste of time.

Fun & Design:3/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:1/15; Polish & Aesthetics:0/5
Total: 4/50
Medals:
18. Desert Castle Adventure by King Mario (22.5): show

Fun & Design: 12.5 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 8 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 2 / 5

Original: beach level
DisasterMaster wrote: For a level about exploring/backtracking for collectables, I don’t understand why there’s a time limit. The level seemed rather disjointed in that you’re searching for red key coins, then swimming for regular red coins to get to the other red coins (coin-ception…), then climbing fences, then you’re in a lava-filled castle that suddenly becomes a pyramid with a boss fight.
That was a pretty big oasis for a desert. Too bad most of the time it was either waiting for the urchins to collect coins or damage-boosting through them using the power-up generator. Little known fact…you can swim to the top of the sizable which causes you to have to slowly walk or swim back to the left.
After having collected all the stars, you’re treated to the best part of the level in the castle portion, having to dodge the falling spikes and ball & chains. Like the house star before, you have to backtrack if you want the boot and some tier 3 power-ups. Also, it can be difficult to jump off of skull rafts on a downward diagonal slope, leading to easy deaths near the last pipe.
Unfortunately you then have to contend with the boss. You’re facing Bowser who has to smash through 2 sets of blocks, then be block-killed if you lose your hammer suit to the myriad bullet bills flying throughout the arena. On a timer.
After the victory, you’re treated to a bonus room of sorts; though I don’t understand the power-ups AFTER the end of the level.

Fun & Design:14/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 9/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 2/5
Total: 25/50
Radiance wrote: The problem with the original level is that it's too short so it's difficult to expand on it.
The sections you added made it feel like it's an adventure since you multiplied the playtime by a lot.
Since the original level is too short, I can't judge on how the new sections feel from the original but it's all right.
Some setups are fun but since the premise of the level is an adventure, the level is unfocused. It would work very well if it's a minisode with 3-5 levels though.

Fun & Design:18/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 10/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Total: 32/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: Here we have a exploration level. The level design has some interesting concepts of exploration, starting with a red coin + key coin hunt, and in this case the hud shows the player which red coins he has already collected, as without it, exploration would be much more difficult. It is interesting the small challenges that involve the locations of the coins, but it ends up becoming just a vague navigation in a water section, with random placement of enemies, with the exception of the urichins, it would be interesting to focus on setups that involve them in this section, as you did with those that protect the red coins. The placement of checkpoints is well positioned and fair, I like the idea that the player can go back and forth to the previous section, activating the checkpoint they want. The second part involves collecting stars to enter the castle, but these are sections that do not have any connection with the previous setups, and it becomes just break sections, and seems very random. Finally, the castle section, which has some puzzles, but they are random or pretty simple. In addition, it is interesting the concept of finding secrets in the section to receive power-ups as a reward, but unfortunately the use of them does not become so useful in the rest of the stage, since in the next section involving SMB3 Bowser as a boss, it already offers power ups to the player. I liked the idea of creating an exploration stage, but in the end the sections do not become connected to each other in terms of details, such as common setups that allow the player to have a sense of growth during gameplay. A stage with interesting concepts, but that are lost in execution.

Fun & Design:10/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:4/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 1/5
Total: 15/50
Sux wrote: This level has an interesting concept, but it was worked out in a bad way. In the end, it didn't make that much difference whether the collectables were key coins, red coins, or stars, just a different way to clear a path. In the water section the jelectros was just randomly positioned, such as urchins that was underused. The coin hunt was meaningless, I don't have the sensation of a new obstacle to pass through and wait one more challenge to advance out. They was just dropped out my face along randomly positioned NPCs. The level has serious structural and enemy distribution problems. The battle with bowser was not exciting, in fact, it was even frustrating at the end, with the attempt to get a hammer suit. All in all, this level needs a lot of work to improve.

Fun & Design:8/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:9/15; Polish & Aesthetics:1/5
Total: 18/50
17. Castle Ton by Sirkibble64 (24/50): show

Fun & Design: 13.5 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 7 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 3.5 / 5

Original: castle of complication
DisasterMaster wrote: You did an excellent job in taking the original level’s concept of having four main sections, but really making them each unique with a connection through the use of the cannons. Tying each colour to the main element in the room (yellow=keys, green=Yoshi/boot, red=lava, and blue=ice) was exceptionally done. Matching up the Zinger and cannon colours was the visual icing on top.
In the yellow section, you have to backtrack the switch-hitting portion three times to get to the door exiting that area ("Castle Backtrack" maybe a more fitting level name?). The green section utilized the Yoshi and boots dismounting jump to great effect, especially having to hop from one boot over an obstacle into the next. Although the leaf allows you to cheese some setups by flying passed them.
The red section had a good moment of backtracking by making you use a boot to cross the lava pit after the initial skullraft challenge. The only bad part was any hit would dismount you into an instant lava death. The blue section was the weakest link; having to collect a multitude of coins underwater while being bombarded with an ever increasing number of cannon projectiles is monotonous.
I was also not expecting a boss rush at the end. Handling two cannons against a Boom Boom didn’t seem like a problem. Then Birdo appeared and I thought that there would be four bosses to coincide with the four rooms. So it was quite the surprise when Ludwig appeared as the fifth boss.
It’s a mostly colourful experience.

Fun & Design:23/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Total: 43/50
Radiance wrote: The problem with the original level is that it has a random difficulty curve.
The remake, while having a steady difficulty curve and a much more focused design, it just feels frustrating to play.
The original level is a mini-gauntlet where you encounter various setups while the remake made a full gauntlet and made it much harder.
There's a lot happening on the screen while the room is cramped. The dealbreaker for me is when you had to do the red room again but with Podoboo shoe even when I had the Kuribo shoe section in the green section (the red section is just more difficult).

Fun & Design:12/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 4/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Total: 20/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: This stage has an interesting concept, based on sections with unique colours. The main idea is good, but unfortunately, it wasn’t well executed due to some level design choices. For example, there is a lot of backtracking in the stage, based on pressing switches and then going back to press another switch. This happens many times, making it repetitive and punishing the player if they die. The bee uses are interesting, I liked that you tried to introduce them in each section. Furthermore, the stage is very cramped, and the NPC placement is very punishing for this reason. The red section has an interesting potential, but unfortunately, it was lost because the main setup involves challenges like dodging synchronized bees while the player rides on the skull raft. It’s a nice idea, but unfortunately, it happens only once and is replaced by backtracking of switches. Although it changes all the sections, it makes it more hard and cramped because of the switch placement. In the green section, it’s impossible to dodge the fire from the plants, but the uses of Yoshi and the boot are nicely done. In the blue section, the obligatory use of the fire flower in all sections punishes the player in an unfair way, because if they lose the power-up, they need to go back to find another fire flower again. The bosses are basically all standard SMBX bosses like a boss rush. Compared to the original, it might not be a good choice because the original doesn’t have anything different to be based on. Also, your level seems more like a dungeon, not a castle like the original. Overall, it is a level with a big potential, but it consists of some interesting setups, but others that aren’t well executed and unfortunately, punish the player a lot.

Fun & Design:9/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:4/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Total: 16/50
Sux wrote: This level is problematic, first of all I must say that it has sinned in being a remake, the few similarities I can trace to the original level is the castle themed and a section with lava. For the rest it did not work with any of the possible mechanics presented previously and expected like grinders, maze doors room or even conveyor belts. However, I always appreciate the addition of new mechanics that complement the original material, but even in this case it was not done in a good way. I liked the first section, it was an interesting use of switches and keys in conjunction with the zingers that besides being obstacles are also used in the level advance (although I need to point that it's aesthetically odd seen them being dropped out by a pipe cannon). But from then on the quality starts to decline. The green and red sections are repetitive, and there are still tight parts with NPC spam in the lava section. The blue section was the most frustrating. The coins collect mechanics was poorly introduced, they were not placed in strategic places, they were just randomly thrown for the player to try to collect them while avoid the spam of electric balls generated by the cannons, which constantly hit the player and so was necessary to back a tedious path to recover the fire flower to melt the ice blocks and continue. And as far as is concerned the bosses, it's sufferable. Boring gameplay, facing the default editor bosses in a row while continuing to avoid the cannons, without adding any mechanics that would make this part even remotely interesting. I can see effort in creating this level, but there are a huge number of flaws that need to be improved.

Fun & Design:10/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:5/15; Polish & Aesthetics:2/5
Total: 17/50
Medals:
16. (The) Cave of Wind by Dr Wally (25.25): show

Fun & Design: 18.75 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 3 / 15

Original: nostalgia hills
DisasterMaster wrote: Unfortunately, this level has barely any resemblance to the original from which it’s based. You did an excellent job in bringing forth an SMB1 theme; it’s just that the original was decidedly SMW. I see how your overall theme developed…the original was an outdoor level with underground music, and thus your choice of an outdoor mine. Well thought of. I just wish you had chosen the SMW aesthetic or included more enemies from the original (such as Banzai Bills) or just base it off of smb the very lost levels. As it stands, your level isn’t truly a remake or remix…it’s a completely different one.
I do wish there was an indicator on where the wind was going to blow, such as a high-winds warning sign. Getting blown suddenly back into a pit or pushed into an enemy isn’t too fun. There were areas where the wind was used to great effect, such as allowing you to put some more distance into jumps in the side path to collect the Star Coin. One thing that was overlooked was the Parakoopa Rings’ shells; grabbing those shells turned you essentially into a bulldozer as everything dies touching it.
I hope this level doesn’t get too much blowback.

Fun & Design:18/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 1/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Total: 22/50
Radiance wrote: The level doesn't seem to be a remake of the assigned level. Having wind currents without warning is really disorienting especially on midair as I have to manuever quickly. Having an audio warning or particle effect across the screen would be nice. Also there's some random difficulty spikes where you can't easily ride a platform because of the circling Paratroopas.

Fun & Design:18/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 0/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Total: 22/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: In this stage, it becomes clear why it’s called the Cave of Wind after some time, as the wind becomes incredibly strong. The attempt to incorporate the use of wind is interesting, but it could have been better introduced in the level, as it appears suddenly and can push the player into a pit, causing unfair deaths. My recommendation would be to make the wind a bit less strong. The level design doesn’t lend itself well to the use of wind, as it is placed in random places, making the level repetitive and hard due to the placement of enemies. I like the interaction between the platforms and the circling Koopas, it’s a cool setup based on the use of platforms. I feel like there could have been more power-ups and the checkpoint placement could have been more fair, as the stage feels repetitive and long at certain points. Compared to the original level, I can’t see anything that reminds me of the remake, except for the Koopas. Overall, it’s a simple stage that has an interesting main detail of the wind, but I feel it could have been more enjoyable in the level.

Fun & Design:14/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:4/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Total: 21/50
Sux wrote: This level is on the verge of what I would consider a remake or something totally new. What keeps the original level still recognizable are the blue mountains in the background and the use of koopas in an athletic level design (although the original is SMW style and the remake in SMB1). The level is quite nice, there is the addition of smb1 platforms with effective use of them in conjunction with the rotating koopas, the distribution of the NPCs is fair and there was a balance in the difficulty rate as you progress through the level. The main mechanic is wind power, I appreciate the attempt to include a new gimmick compared to the original level, however at times it feels simply played out. The winds suddenly changing direction sometimes causes some silly deaths. I had hoped for more creative usage from this gimmick that opens up a range of probabilities, such as help the player to jump in a huge cliff or an additive obstacle to challenge in a setup. But that doesn't take away from the merit of being a cool level.

Fun & Design:25/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:7/15; Polish & Aesthetics:4/5
Total: 36/50
Medals:
15. Scorching Ossuary by Twisted4932 (29/50): show

Fun & Design: 15.75 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 10.25 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 3 / 5

Original: lava cave
DisasterMaster wrote: This level was all about tiny improvements over the original, but nothing that made it stand out. I liked how you designed the pit aesthetics over their flat and cutoff original. I like the progression of difficulty of having smaller rafter and tighter corridors as you progressed. But adding a few more difficult jumps, a spiny generator, and a random Chuck at the end didn’t make the level stand out. Instead of having those one-off obstacles which diminish their significance, you could have built on addition setups involving the Chucks or bone-throwing Dry Bones as the level progressed.
Maybe having some décor throughout would spice up the visuals, too.

Fun & Design:13/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 8/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 2/5
Total: 23/50
Radiance wrote: This level extends the original level pretty well. The level doesn't feel flat, there's a variety in the enemies, and there's an added difficulty by removing the skull rafts one by one.
It's probably on my preferences but Podoboo and Skull Raft Ride just doesn't work for me. Aside from that, I think extending the level a little bit to use swoopers and spinies on other setups would make the level a bit better.

Fun & Design:20/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Total: 40/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: Here we have a classic, solid smw-style stage. I like how nice it is, which boils down to uses of platforms and skullrafts over lava. I like the attempt to vary these setups, although they could still be put to better use. I didn't see any major bugs in the stage so I won't have much to describe about it. The distribution of npcs is good, and the length of the stage is good too. I just felt that there could have been a checkpoint in the level. Basically this level is an improved version of what the original should be, in terms of placement and other aspects. Overall it is a solid level, but I felt it is too simple. It reminds me of some stage from The Invasion 2.

Fun & Design:15/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:9/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Total: 27/50
Sux wrote: This level is basic, you have kept the same structure and graphics as the original, a SMW cave level with the gameplay based on skulls rafts in lava and lift platforms with small inserts. On the merits, I must point out that it improved the level structure, such as block positioning and NPC distribution. At all, I feel completely indifferent due the lack of creativity.

Fun & Design:15/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:9/15; Polish & Aesthetics:2/5
Total: 26/50
14. Paddled Desert by Mal8rk (29.50): show

Fun & Design: 17.5 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 9 / 15

Original: sandy mountain
DisasterMaster wrote: So the flies buzzing around those carcasses mean they’re fresh? Yikes. But it makes sense because there are a lot of chances to die.
I really enjoyed your paddlewheel setups…in the first section. They were nice and short, with fun obstacles like the bubbled Goombas hitting the blocks to rain down on you, which called back to the original. There were ones you had to position properly for jump or had to paddle carefully do to the hitchhiking spiny. Varied and entertaining.
Then there is section number two. While some setups with the red Zingers were good, they fell in between three long, slow, and repetitive slogs. And if you happen to fall in the pit (which spanned most of the area), the lack of checkpoints make you have to do it all over again. Even the bonus room was an unnecessarily long paddle to the Star Coin and back.
That ending ascent was intense and likely could have stood to be about half as long. Just don’t make one wrong jump as the spikes close in because if you’re not perfect you will be crushed.
Definitely requires some tight execution for this one.

Fun & Design:17/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 11/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Total: 31/50
Radiance wrote: Looks like you only took the aesthetics and made a level with the it. The original level gives you optional tools (Yoshi and Flamethrower) to make the level much easier. Your level focuses with paddles which is tedious to use, and you also added wasps which makes the platforming more tedious. The setups in this level, while strong, is the complete opposite of the original level. As for the bonus section, it's tedious as it has to use a paddle to traverse an abyss to get a star coin and traverse back to go to the pipe you previously entered. As for the final section, the mud is too fast but it doesn't kill you right away which is nice. Though it'd be more effective if you push down the mud a bit just so the players can regain their composure after being caught by the mud.

Fun & Design:23/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 5/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Total: 32/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: Here we have a stage that has as its main mechanic the use of platforms that rotate, as if they were a wheel, with platforms connected to its axis, known as Paddle Platform.
The first section the use of this mechanic was very well executed, where each setup was developed very well giving a great feeling of progression in the mechanic, I really liked the level design choice here. Unfortunately, however, this quality declines in the following sections. At first, the addition of the bees was a good idea, but I felt they were introduced haphazardly into the level. The use of these platforms to dodge the bees is not a bad idea, but in the stage it becomes long and tedious, because of the lack of variation in their use, which is a shame. The final section abruptly increased the difficulty of the phase, because the idea of using the platform that is a little slow, to dodge the bees that are very fast, plus the lava that chases the player, gives very few chances of escape. I felt that there could be more checkpoints between sections, because the phase somehow becomes a little long. In relation to the original, the aesthetic remains the same, there was no creativity at this point, but the addition of the paddle platform was a great addition to the phase. In general it is a phase with a huge potential, with the first section excellent and fun, but unfortunately it gets lost in the concept in the following sections. I believe that if the level was only the first section, and half of the second, I would give it a much higher score in terms of level design.

Fun & Design:18/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:10/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Sux wrote: This level has an interesting idea, but it is not well used. In the first section the paddles worked well,but had already shown problems in their structuring, which was confirmed further on. It is very easy to cause a soft lock, not to mention that after a while playing it becomes an exhaustingly repetitive mechanic, jumping again and again on the paddles to move them slowly is not something attractive. There are long and boring setups, especially on second part of the level, with a crowd of zingers, a unpleasant way to go. The final section of the rampage is tedious and repetitive, I need to jump hundreds of times to up a slow paddle platform that doesn't keep pace with the lava (which is faster). In this level, the pendulum platforms would fit better, and if reduce the size of setups while make more variations, the level can increase his quality considerably.

Fun & Design:12/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:10/15; Polish & Aesthetics:2/5
Total: 24/50
13. Flower Land by litchh (29.75/50): show

Fun & Design: 16 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 10.25 / 15

Original: basic level
DisasterMaster wrote: The world map hammer brothers that charge you were hilarious. Sadly that was one of the few things this rompy little level had going for it. When I saw Crazee Dayzees, I had hoped they would wander lackadaisically or at least blow bubbles at me, but they were just another standard walker. While it mostly maintained that NES feel, I wish Mario and the later Yoshi fit into it as well.
The bonus area with the fertilizer bags that looked like poo emojis was done far too late into the level. You get a yoshi and then a screen-length later the level ends.
A quick romp through classic SMB3.

Fun & Design:12/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 9/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 2/5
Radiance wrote: This one feels good to play! This level fixed the blandness of the original level by adding a variety of enemies.
This level feels like a livelier extended version of the level. The flow of the level may suffer a bit since it's a bit chill level then Mini Bros show up. But other than that, it's a pretty decent level.

Fun & Design:23/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Total: 43/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: It's a basic level, as the name suggests, that mainly consists of jumping or dodging enemies. It feels like a romp level and something is missing that would make it unique, such as a different mechanic or the creative use of specific NPCs. For example, the runner enemy with a hammer is different, but it would be nice if it were used more. Furthermore, I believe they could be better introduced in the level. This stage reminds me much of the original design and SMB1 design, but it feels longer than necessary and repetitive. The NPC distribution is also very random. Compared to the original, I didn't see much difference, only the addition of new NPCs. Overall, it is a simple, repetitive, and long level that unfortunately doesn't have something that makes it unique.

Fun & Design:7/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:4/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Total: 14/50
Sux wrote: This level is cute, it stayed true to the original, with some setups being the same. There was the addition of new NPCs such as hammer bros (that don’t throws a hammer), and exploration of athletic gimmicks such as using falling platforms and donut blocks. The difficulty scale is fair, although at some points I feel crowded by enemies (and I don't refer to the generators). Also, I have to say, the fertilizer easter egg was hilarious. Anyways, I enjoyed this level, it was fun.

Fun & Design:22/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:13/15; Polish & Aesthetics:4/5
Total: 39/50
Medals:
12. Savage Ridge by Jur1121 (32/50): show

Fun & Design: 19.5 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 9.25 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 3.25 / 5

Original: sandy mountain
DisasterMaster wrote: I can appreciate that you didn’t use the flamethrower to bulldoze the enemies down while jumping easily over them, but with a few well-placed jumps, you can soar over many of the obstacles in this level. Sure there are some high up Goombas and Banzai Bills that do an effective job of hindering your flight, but many Parakoopas will keep you safely aloft.
I wish there were pipes or a ceiling to put a cap on your flight height and more of a focus on precision flying between obstacles. Sadly most times you need to gap a column of Goombas, there is another enemy nearby that will send soaring above such obstacles. The piranha plant guarding the bonus room pipe was a nice touch, though.
I did get a good chuckle from the The Banzai Bill popping the bubbles at the end.

Fun & Design:14/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 8/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 2/5
Total: 24/50
Radiance wrote: The level is really good to play! You capitalized on the flamethrower from the original and used a propeller instead to make an "aerial" level. While Venus Fire Traps is a good enemy for this types of level, there are some places where it felt that they're too much to manuever especially when combined with Paratroopas. Also it looks like having more propeller stations is a must because you're stuck if you lost your propeller and there's only like 2 generators so yeah.

Fun & Design:27/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 13/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Total: 45/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: Here we have a simple stage in what it sets out to demonstrate. The main mechanic is based on the full use of propeller blocks. I found the attempt to build the design of the level around the propeller blocks interesting, but I felt the setups lacked variation, such as the bubbles, which were a great addition, they could have other variations. Also, the repetition of setups randomly throughout the stage ends up becoming repetitive. My recommendation would be to detach from the original stage design, and try to set up more different things, for example, maybe a vertical section with the implementation of other setups involving the deviation or use of the bubbles themselves, there are several possibilities. In relation to the original, I didn't feel that much difference, except for the use of the propeller block and the addition of the bubbles as an obstacle, which I think is valid in a way. Overall it is a very simple stage, but unfortunately fails in execution by the lack of development of the main gimmick, making the same during the entire stage.

Fun & Design:14/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:4/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Total: 21/50
Sux wrote: Here is a very reasonable level, the overall design and structure is quite similar to the original. The difference in this level was the addition of the propeller blocks, these items that end up opening up a wide range of ideas to use in exploration type levels, and I feel this is where it falls short. Even though it has some long jumps on some cliffs, the level has the feeling of being passable without the propeller blocks, and in some moments even dispensable, I missed a greater use of these features, to explore the potential to the fullest. But despite everything, it remains a fun level to play in its entirety, the distribution of enemies is balanced, with emphasis on the Moles that in the course of the level appear stacked and are then was separated by slopes, it is a very cool detail.

Fun & Design:23/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:12/15; Polish & Aesthetics:3/5
11. Super_Koopa by Dr Wally (32.5/50): show

Fun & Design: 19 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 10 / 15

DisasterMaster wrote: This was a fun grassland with some 3D World vibes. The Parakoopas were used well as obstacles and having to lure the Super Koopa to give you a boost to the bonus room was well played. Having to get a feather and then backtrack to the Star Coin was a bit of a nuisance, though.
The only bad part about the bonus room was that your cape pumps had to be perfect to get the next Star Coin. If you’re too low you either have to go back to the first pipe from the main level or die. As for a quirk of the bonus room, if you don’t enter it then the Koopas bouncing on blocks (fun idea) near the end will cause a Lua error every time they bounce. Although the contest’s host fixed it through changing a line of code, it was an annoyance on the first few playthroughs.
Otherwise, quite a soaring experience.

Fun & Design:20/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 2/5
Total: 37/50
Radiance wrote: While it's true that the blue koopa is the problem in the original level, removing it removes the star of the original level.
At the very least, you had a lot of Koopas and Koopa platforming in the level.
Though I really think that it feels wrong to remove a thing entirely just because it's a problem rather fixing the setups.
(e.g. more reaction time for player, move camera a bit so players can see more what's on right, etc.). As for the Koopa setups, it's pretty decent. However, there are some jumps which requires to jump over paratroopas and will require you to wait for some time which just disrupts the momentum you have considering some jumps require full running speed.

Fun & Design:20/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 5/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Total: 30/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: Cute level! I like the way you reimagined the original level, and I also love the background! The main mechanic of the level is the interactions of the koopas in the gameplay, such as boosts to reach other platforms, or the interaction with the trampoline blocks. The content of the stage is very simple, but I like the attempt to put a variation in the use of koopas, but I missed the main, the super koopas that takes the name of the stage, they are very erased in reality. The stage could take a risk and make better use of these variations of the koopas, because in the end they become repetitive. The stage is a little long too, but it has a good distribution of enemies. Some platforms are very difficult to reach.
Overall it is a simple and solid stage, but it could have used more of its potential.

Fun & Design:15/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:7/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Sux wrote: This level is pretty cool, despite its simple proposal, it is well executed in its entirety. The koopas with sunglasses added an extra charm to the level, and progression was made naturally with the complexity of the obstacles involving the koopas and spring blocks gradually increasing. All in all, it is a neat and fun level.

Fun & Design:21/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:13/15; Polish & Aesthetics:3/5
Medals:
10. Airship Among the Valley by DRACalgar Law (33.75/50): show

Fun & Design: 18.5 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 11.5 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 3.75 / 5

Original: airship level
DisasterMaster wrote: This level did a phenomenal job of capturing almost the exact layout of the original, but managed to put its own twists in. Almost everything is stylized in SMB1 fashion to great effect. The plethora of cannons and burners made for a much more varied array of obstacles, although I wish the lightning cloud and pop-up bill blaster were used more than once.
The bombable wall portion didn’t feel like it was needed, as killing the nearby piranha plant left no real obstacle between the bomb generator and wall, causing you to have to backtrack to move forward. Perhaps a cannon in the path could have made that feel more necessary. Also the cryptic message after defeating the mini-boss Boom Boom didn’t really help in locating the very obscure secret warp; an indicator of some kind could have helped in pointing the player in the right direction.
After being annoyingly sniped by an off-screen stream of cannonballs, we finally make it to the boss. This showdown was very unique and entertaining, although sometimes the combination of its projectiles could make it brutally difficult. There’s also the fact that there’s no checkpoint at all in the level, meaning a death would set you back to square one.
You will definitely be kept on your toes with this one.

Fun & Design:22/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 14/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Radiance wrote: It feels like a fortificated version of the original airship which is cool.
The cannons get upgraded, the more you progress on the level. The call back to the original boss by making it into an optional one is a good one, too. However, the pipe to the bonus section doesn't look like a pipe so I didn't knew I was in the boss part already before getting to the bonus section.
The level would be less tedious to play if you put 1-2 checkpoints though (1 before the boss and 1 before entering the big ship part) considering it's a bit harder.
The swaying of the airship, while it bring airship-y feels, has been removed which is good as the original level is janky especially with the Piranha Plants.
Putting cannons is nice, however, the level didn't have enough space to manuever around them. It wouldn't hurt to make some of the ship ceilings a bit higher
Also, the boss is cool, it fits with the overall theme of the airship. It would be nice if you put a powerup and a checkpoint before the boss though.

Fun & Design:17/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 14/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Total: 36/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: Here, we have a stage with the main mechanic of armed airships. I feel that something is missing in the main mechanic that could make it unique or different in relation to other airship levels. Furthermore, although there are some problems, the original stage had a moving airship mechanic, which would have been an interesting detail to explore. However, I noticed that this mechanic has been removed and new shot enemies have been added. Additionally, I miss the inclusion of checkpoints in the level. Overall, the NPC distribution is okay, and the level size is also okay. However, the stage is simple and does not change much from the original. Furthermore, I feel that the setups could be better implemented, maybe with more synchrony between the shooters. The sub-boss is a simple Boom Boom, fair and common. Now, about the main boss, the variation of attacks is very interesting, but it is not clear what we should do to beat him, and some attacks are harder to dodge than others. However, it is a solid boss.

Fun & Design:16/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:6/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Total: 25/50
Sux wrote: This level made a good conversion into an airship level with dark nuances and metallic tileset. It was really cool to see the addition of several extra elements such as burners, multi-directional bill blasters, spinning cannons, the piped one and even a storm cloud that generates lightning. However, I feel that the level gets lost in its own composition, as even with so many elements, none are used to their full potential, and most of the setups feel disconnected from each other. The highlight of this level was definitely the final boss, he is insanely creative in all his actions, an insightful use of RNG that kept a good sized duel, fair and yet enjoyable.

Fun & Design:19/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:12/15; Polish & Aesthetics:3/5
Total: 34/50
9. Aquatic Athletics (SMB3 Tribute) by Mystery Man Bro (34.25/50): show

Fun & Design: 20 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 11.25 / 15

Original: basic level
DisasterMaster wrote: An interesting take on the classic romp by filling it with water. Unfortunately this didn’t seem to add any truly standout gameplay. You simply hit the switch to raise or lower the water to advance. The after you hit 5 switches, you’re done. The level is over as quickly as it started.
I was hoping that the first section was a warm-up showing you the water height that you could raise or lower it to, with the second section being more of dynamic puzzle of sorts requiring the water to be continually repositioned within a screen’s length. I would have also liked to have seen a variety of aquatic enemies to hinder your progress.
It was a simple swim through a classic NES SMB3 level.

Fun & Design:11/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 10/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 2/5
Radiance wrote: The problem with the original level is that it feels bland so remaking it to anything except an athletic/grassland theme wouldn't feel like a remake.
While adding the water hurted the isomorphism points, the implementation of the water tides (similar to Wet Dry Land) feels just right. I had a blast playing it and the gimmick didn't overstay its welcome.

Fun & Design:27/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 9/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Shinbison-Kof wrote: It's a solid level with an interesting and simple mechanic that consists of the activation of water, which moves in both vertical and horizontal directions. This concept was used in a fair manner, providing the player with a good flow in the level using fair setups such as platforms and blocks that interact with water movement. I feel the mechanic could be more enjoyable with more variations, but it is fair compared to the level size, similar to the original levels in SMB3. This remake was excellent compared to the original, which is a simple SMB3 level. The addition of water gives the level a very nice addition and makes it fun to play. The atmosphere is simple but fair in its concept. Overall, it is a simple and solid level with an interesting mechanic, but it was executed very well. Fun level!

Fun & Design:18/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:13/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Sux wrote: This level is the definition of basic and well done. The mechanics despite being quite simple, were well utilized, the variation of water height flowed well with the pace at which the player progresses through the level. The positioning of the NPCs is okay, and the obstacles gradually increase in complexity, even if in a subtle way. It is a small level, passable quickly on the first try, but it is still a fun experience.

Fun & Design:24/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:13/15; Polish & Aesthetics:4/5
Total: 41/50
8. HSV by Petraheim (38/50): show

Fun & Design: 19.5 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 14.75 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 3.75 / 5

DisasterMaster wrote: Going for that outdoor cave vibe to match the original’s mismatched music…nice. That was such an incredible idea to force players to interact with a specific colour. It really made you think about your next move; although some colours were a bit confusing such as Goombas being orange should have made them interact with both yellow and red or the green grass (which you touched upon in the message block) being solid at all. Perhaps the “solid for everyone” ground should have all been grey, grass included.
It just seemed to be cut short. There should have been at least four sections, each with there own colour, and perhaps one final being a combination like presented in the level. We were teased green and blue, but their assets went entirely unused.
Great concept though.

Fun & Design:20/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Radiance wrote: Illusiyellow but more nerve-racking. I was scared when I encountered the red section because I thought that the level will cycle through RGB. Thank you for not doing that.
I'm not a fan of the gimmick though. It seems you retained almost all of the structures from the original but having fake stuff just made the gameplay a whole lot different. Nice on being resourceful.

Fun & Design:15/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 14/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Total: 33/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: To begin, I would like to say that this stage has one of the most creative remakes compared to the original stage that I have seen in this contest. The idea of using the concept of colours in the stage design is genius. About the mechanics, it was introduced very well, demonstrating that the "HSV" colours don't work at first, although it was very confusing at the beginning, but I believe that was the intention. Although at first it gives the impression that the stage is romp, this paradigm is broken with the care that the level design has in each part in which their colours do not work, allowing a fair and balanced challenge, however, I still felt that some setups were a little repetitive, I missed some element that was different from diverting enemies. Besides, it was a great choice to do only the red colour after the second section, because if I had done it with all the 2 remaining colours, the stage would be long and repetitive. My suggestion would be that, instead of adding only the red colour working in the last section, to switch to another colour mode, which would make the 3 colours (red, yellow and green) work at the same time, however, yellow would no longer work. Regarding the placement of the stage, the enemies are well distributed and fair, and the stage itself has a great length. The atmosphere of the stage gives a crazy feeling, especially the colours chosen, matching perfectly with the stage. Overall it is a creative stage, brilliant concept, well executed in a certain way, but lacking some increment to be more developed the setups.

Fun & Design:20/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Sux wrote: This level is strange, at first I thought there was something wrong with my editor or lua. But then I realized the gimmick and it is completely crazy and geniously creative. I confess that sometimes it doesn't make sense, the green is not tangible, but I can walk on the grass (which is green?) while passing through the mushroom blocks. And regarding red being intangible in the first part of the level, it also affects pipes (which are pink) and goombas (which are brown), I felt like I was playing a level from MaGLX. The level is quite troll at times with the platforms you can't step on and some munchers that hurt among the fake ones. All in all it was a peculiar experience, an idea that I wish was explored more, I was waiting how it would be when blue and green become tangible, I was disappointed when the level ended so early.

Fun & Design:23/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:15/15; Polish & Aesthetics:2/5
Medals:
7. parallel_poison_pathway by deice (38.25/50): show

Fun & Design: 20.25 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 13.75 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 4.25 / 5

Original: smb the very lost levels
DisasterMaster wrote: Maybe it’s just me, but this level had a very Mario Forever vibe…and I love it. The whole landscape felt like it had been injected with a withering toxin, making you feel that every step is poison beneath your feet. If you are moving at a frantic pace, sometimes it can be hard to tell which passthrough blocks are for the player and which are for the NPCs, though.
It was great that you kept a top and bottom route that run parallel from the original level; the top route always seemed easier like in the original as well. There were places where the poison mushrooms became a bit spammy, such as if the Poison Bro came on screen during the third parallel path. Or places where a bad cycle could lead to an unavoidable hit, such as in the top path piranha plant gauntlet. Sure you could damage-boost through some of the setups, but you need all the extra hits you can get. Tight corridors with fast (or fast-spawning) enemies make for an often deadly combo.
Thanks for the fast respawn, too. I found out you will definitely need it until you get the hang of each obstacle. To save some sanity, I would have preferred one more checkpoint before the final gauntlet of springing mushrooms and Lakitus. Even though the level is meant to be a higher difficulty, it may also not have been the best choice to allow the player to die by falling into the pit after collecting the orb, either.
What a wild ride that was.

Fun & Design:20/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Radiance wrote: The exposition of what's NPC and Player pass through blocks feels out of place. Since the first setup, goomba and paratroopa, is relatively safe, you could've demonstrate those blocks there instead as that will create the flow of the level much smoother. The easy-hard path from the original has been replaced by pick your poison setups which is a cool twist. I do think that almost all of the NPCs are purple which makes them less visible and the level much harder. The Lakitu part felt out of place though as you just have to run to the end on a single path. That part could be cut off which is nice as the last setup is a two-way path and makes the level shorter which is already compensated by its sheer difficulty or just straight up create a harder version of the two-way path.

Fun & Design:20/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Shinbison-Kof wrote: Here we have a stage with a strange vibe, but that at first gives the feeling of being fun. The idea of using poison mushrooms as gimmicks is interesting, because you can see the variety of setups used here, involving them. Unfortunately this stage is a bit lacking in execution, specifically in the placement of npcs, because most are placed randomly, causing some spam at times, making the passages unfair to the player. I felt that there could be a better development of the use of poison mushroom, because it doesn't seem to be so balanced the setups during the phase. Another problem found in the level design, is related to paths in which they make it impossible for the player to pass without taking damage, or that is with power-up, and there are tight parts in the stage, which with the spamming of npcs cause certain conflicts in gameplay. In relation to the original stage, you can feel the inspiration, especially in the way the blocks were placed and the sub paths. This is a level with a fun vibe, incredible and frenetic music as well as fast setups, but unfortunately it lacks in execution. But it has great potential!

Fun & Design:14/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:10/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Total: 28/50
Sux wrote: This level is excellent, it has captured the idea of the original very well, in that it uses a rustic SMB2 - lost levels - aesthetic, and has even emphasized double path-based design. The main gimmick are the poison mushrooms, and it has an interesting grading, ranging from being thrown by hammer bro (or poison bro in this case), to coming out of generators and moving through lineguides. The biggest problem is the arrangement of the NPCs, the spawn algorithm hampers gameplay (even more so if you consider that poison shroom has collisions with other NPCs), so sometimes I just feel crowded, and got unfair hits like in the piranha plants pipes corridor. The use of spawnzones, and rearranging the enemies in some parts would make this level flawless.

Fun & Design:27/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:15/15; Polish & Aesthetics:5/5
Total: 47/50
Medals:
6. Sueдos en cascada (Waterfall dreams) by Ness-Wednesday (38.5/50): show

Fun & Design: 24.25 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 10 / 15

Original: piranha land
DisasterMaster wrote: That was a quite a cool ice cave. I liked how you made it an underground ruin to fit in with the castle theme of the original.
Your use of Rip Van Fishes to alter the terrain to kill enemies or open pathways was the highlight of the level. The vertical wrapping fireballs in your underwater section were also quite creative. I wished you had melded the two ideas together somehow.
While the hectic ascent at the end was a great idea, the falling fireballs were not. It was rather unfair to be hit by a fireball with no warning of where it was going to fall leading to cheap and near unavoidable damage. At least there were coin indicators of the Rip Van Fish portion. I would have liked to have seen Koopas on the portion with terrain and perhaps static hurt blocks on the Fish portion.
A pretty slick level overall.

Fun & Design:19/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 9/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Radiance wrote: Really cool vanilla aesthetic! The audio source from the waterfalls is also a neat detail as it adds more ambience to the level. It feels like you oversimplified the level then tried to make a new level based on the oversimplified thing. Since the original was about Piranha Land, removing the Piranha Plants doesn't feel right, though the Panser setups in this level is really great. The player steering the Rip Van Fish in a bubble is nice but it's much more nice to play if you add more leeway on the final section. Probably a circle with radius 5-6 rather than 4.

Fun & Design:25/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 10/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Shinbison-Kof wrote: Here we have a very interesting stage, whose concept involves water and fireballs, ironic isn't?
I like the way the setups were developed, first the use of the fireballs, which at first are thrown, but in the water section, they are used as if they were falling endlessly vertically, and finally the blending of them with other setups. What surprised me the most was the setup involving the bubble attached to the fish, both together look incredibly good, and this idea was very well developed and taught to the player during the stage. In the end, I like how both the bubble mechanic and the fireball mechanic are merged in the last section. Despite this, I felt a slight impression that each mechanic of each section was done in isolation, I mean, it could have had a greater involvement between them giving a greater sense of progress, but the way it is it does its job well too. The part where the "ice spikes" vertically chase us is very interesting, visually and mechanically, but I felt it is very difficult to dodge the falling fireballs, both because of their speed, and to visualize them, because the camera kind of causes a lack of vision of what is coming from above. Aesthetically it is very interesting the way you used vanilla. In relation to the original, it didn't remind me so much of the remake, with the exception of the underwater section, I believe you have sinned in the choice of the original stage. Overall, it is a fun and interesting level with creative setups that are somewhat well executed, with the exception of the chase section. Good job!

Fun & Design:26/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:9/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Sux wrote: First of all I must congratulate you for the fantastic aesthetics, it is even more impressive considering that you achieved this result on a vanilla level. The level decides to prioritize the water theme over the mountain, castle, and lava themes presented in the original one. But that doesn't mean they have been completely forgotten, the cave looking like ruins, the lava blocks hidden behind the FGO checkpoints at the rampage part, and the exit from the level under the mountains are small subtleties that still show remnants of what had been proposed to be a remake. The use of the cheep cheeps attached to the bubbles was clever, the level progression is fun, and I was curious what the new challenge was. Unfortunately this level suffers from sparse checkpoints. It is frustrating to have to go back too far if the player dies in the rampage part, which in turn can be merciless in some parts by requiring agile jumping and a good reaction time when panzer's fire is dropped in my face. Despite these flaws, it is still a great level.

Fun & Design:27/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:12/15; Polish & Aesthetics:5/5
Total: 44/50
Medals:

5. Grayish Sewerage by cato (40/50): show

Fun & Design: 22.5 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 13.25 / 15

Original: a dark level
DisasterMaster wrote: When I first saw the skeletal dolphins, it made me believe that the black sewage water was deadly. Sadly, when I fell in I survived; I say sadly because most of the dolphins in the main portion of the level often time are not needed to traverse the level other than to occasionally lift you maybe four times to a higher ledge or bonus area. I wanted to see more setups like the three dolphins that you had to run across to build up enough speed to jump to the last Star Coin.
But they do shine in that little hidden bonus section. The ones being spit out of the pipe are actually put to work as a means of traversing the section like a sort of timer, having to keep up with them to get the star and failing sending you back to try again. You also had dolphins hindering your path. That is what dolphins are all about!
Otherwise, this level went swimmingly.

Fun & Design:19/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:14/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Radiance wrote: The inclusion of the dolphins (why are they bones though) made the level more diverse in NPCs while keeping the level still focused. The setups and the aesthetics felt more polished than the original. I had fun playing this one.
My only concern in this level is that the goombas and the koopas blend well with the environment too much which makes them much harder to see. While you could say it's on the grayscale filter itself, using a lighter color for the background objects remedies the issue.
The original had a bit varying grayscale colors on the NPCs which made them easier to beat or avoid.
Still an excellent level, nonetheless.

Fun & Design:30/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Total: 49/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: Here we have a stage with an interesting black/and white aesthetic. I like the concept of the stage, which involves a mix of a mountain and a sewer. The level itself is very nice, and fun, with the interesting use of the dolphins as a platform, but I felt they could have been used a little more, as I missed more variation in this setup. I felt that the stage didn't focus as much on the main setups (dolphins), which is a shame, because this factor ends up making the stage a little repetitive, and almost becoming romp. In relation to the remake, I actually felt that it is a remake of the original stage, from the atmosphere and design in a way, because the implementation of the sewer theme and the dolphins were right. Overall, there are not that many serious errors in the stage itself, or details that can be said about the stage, I just felt that it could have more potential if it had made more use of the existing setups. Overall, a simple, nice and fun stage.

Fun & Design:18/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:12/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Sux wrote: Okay, this level stays true to the original's grey shades atmosphere and even the same music, but it is far to be a copy. The swamp theme was maintained with the addition of ruins, which made for a neat aesthetic. The main mechanics of the level is about jumping over water using dolphins, which in turn are bone-themed, a very cool visual. The size is fair and the difficulty remains stable at every level.

Fun & Design:23/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:12/15; Polish & Aesthetics:5/5
4. (Super) Party_on_the_Temple by SuperAlex (42.25/50): show

Fun & Design: 24.5 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 13.25 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 4.5 / 5

Original: wonderous cave
DisasterMaster wrote: This gives a whole new meaning to an underground party! This was quite the ancient wonder to behold. The visuals were stunning, from the shining fireflies flitting about to the swaying balloons in the background to the eerie darkness closing in around the smaller rooms.
The popping balloon mechanic was so well done. You did a fantastic job of relaying that the different colors indicated how many times you could jump on them before they pop and it was great that you had them shrink in size as they deflated, a nice touch. The setups utilized the amount of jumps remaining on each balloon perfectly, especially the challenge that required you to wait for the progressing balloon to arrive. The cacti that popped out of ground were the only annoyance, as they could be hard to see with so much else going on.
Then we have the very cinematic cutscene to the Boom Boom boss. I loved how the puffs of smoke indicated where the boss and interlude pansers would appear; it gives players time to react instead of just spawning the enemy on top of you like so many other levels. The interlude had no real threat, as standing in the middle avoided all projectiles. And speaking of projectiles…an increasing amount of Rinka spam is not the way to go for a boss fight.
Otherwise, this level was quite the treat!

Fun & Design:26/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Total: 46/50
Radiance wrote: I don't know what to say on the bloons to be honest. I mean playing it off as a party in the pyramid could work, it feels weird to me though. Don't get me wrong, the bloon setups are strong but the addition of surprise pokeys put in really unfair places just made the whole level frustrating to play. This is where the party + pyramid implementation failed. The surprise pokey has a bright red color to signify where it is buried but because of the scattered confetti everywhere, it does not only makes the level much more visually busy, it also reduces the visibility of the surprise pokeys.

Fun & Design:15/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 8/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 3/5
Shinbison-Kof wrote: From a simple desert in the temple, to a festive desert, with balloons, and amazing decoration. This small excerpt already shows that the Remake in relation to the original was ingenious! The level has a very interesting mechanic, which is related to balloons, in which the player needs to jump on them to get momentum. Overall they were very well used, with a great feeling of progress in relation to each setup involving the balloons, from balloons that burst with 1 jump, to those that multiply, opening a range of possibilities. The stage has a great length, and also a fair distribution of enemies, which interact very well with the main mechanics, not making it repetitive. The atmosphere is amazing, and creative, I didn't expect to see a festive underground temple. Now, some details that could be improved in the stage are in relation to some setups. One of them involves waiting for the main balloon to appear after a few seconds, while the player has to jump on the balloons that are already available. This idea is not bad, but at first it is hard to see that the respective balloon is coming, and that it would be used for that. Besides that, some parts are not so intuitive, because you need to die to understand at first what to do, since the action itself already occurs even before the player reaches the screen (camera) but this is in very specific parts. The boss of this stage is a negative point, because the boom boom besides not being something original, put it together with some rinkas, it becomes tedious, in this case it was not so different from the original stage. Overall it is a very fun, creative and original phase, with setups that are mostly fair.

Fun & Design:26/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Sux wrote: This level is gorgeous, you have realized the proposal from original level perfectly and used it in a magnificent way. The entrance through the desert, immersion in an underground temple that in conjunction with the new mechanics is an exquisite work. The balloon mechanics are used in a balanced way, the level progression has a precise measure, every detail like the different colours that indicate the balloon's life, and even the balloon multiplier as new function added at the end of the level were inserted at the right moment, making each setup unique. Even the boss that was Boom Boom, who is usually pretty lame, it was still an interesting battle. The rinkas gradually increasing their spawn and the subtlety of the difficulty increase made me realize that I was close to finishing the boss (I confess that I was expecting a skin balloon-themed).
Therefore, true masterpiece.

Fun & Design:30/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:15/15; Polish & Aesthetics:5/5
Total: 50/50
Medals:
3. Subterranean Sanctuary by Alagirez (42.75/50): show

Fun & Design: 24.25 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 14 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 4.5 / 5

Original: wonderous cave
DisasterMaster wrote: It appears they dug far too deep for their own good.
Descending through the Spiny-filled mine only to have the ground cave in to reveal an ancient temple, was a great touch. The temple itself looked fantastic, with its shimmering gold carvings and flaming torches.
Using the Cheep-cheeps as gate keepers was an interesting mechanic, although they could be quite fidgety at times to try and raise the gates enough to pass through unscathed. I had quite a few deaths trying to quickly swim under one that raised sub optimally. I loved the ascent portion and thought it ingenious to use the Spike Tops to surround clear pipes, having to be quickly spit out between their formations.
The Boom-Boom bosses were a bit chaotic with the jumping Cheep-cheeps and barrage of Rinkas. I’m glad you opted for the less traditional versions, as you made the flying Boom-Boom actually seem tolerable.
Give me back that lamp because I wish for a sequel!

Fun & Design:26/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Radiance wrote: I was initially bummed when you removed the sliding section until I realized that you made the level more hostile to the player because you expanded the lore.
Cool setups but some setups feel repetitive (spike tops on clear pipes and in small rooms). Cutting at least third of your setups will make your level better.
The aesthetics are really cool though, it gives off a modern pyramid vibe or something.

Fun & Design:24/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 14/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Total: 41/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: This stage is a surprise, because it starts in an ok way, but surprises in the following sections. I like the section where you go down a cavern, with wrap screen, dodging enemies that walk in sync horizontally, and I find interesting how this concept is developed in the following sections, with the use of the clear pipes. The use of the attached blocks in the fish is very clever, and the way you developed them in the vertical section is very satisfying. My only caveat to this is that specifically one of them in the first section of the screen becomes a bit more complex to access the timing. I love the interaction that the spiny has with the clearpipes and the way they are generated, although simple, it develops well during the sections, not becoming repetitive. Some parts were tight, but in the design choice of this stage specifically, it is not a major problem. The boss did not need to follow the same pattern as the original stage, which consisted of killing the boom boom by dodging rinkas, I felt there was a lack of creativity here. The enemy distribution, checkpoint and length of the phase are good. Overall it is a very interesting and fun stage, which reimagined the original stage well, adding setups that work well in gameplay. Good job!

Fun & Design:25/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:13/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Total: 42/50
Sux wrote: This level is an interesting example of the possibles gizmos to do with the attach to layer tool, this one is rarely used, so it is almost certain to come out with something new and surprising. The level was according to the original's proposal, and I must to say that the mine vertical warp section has a design that reminded me a lot of TI2, so much nostalgic. However, despite the creativity, I felt there was little variation in the setups, and the placement of NPCs was very crammed, the spinies generators are fast, and in the vertical uprising section had a spam of spikes that were placed in blind spots of the clean pipes, which sometimes results in unfair hits. The final boss, even being a Boom Boom was fair and fun, especially the flying turn. Overall, a nice job.

Fun & Design:24/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:14/15; Polish & Aesthetics:4/5
Total: 42/50
Medals:
2. Frolicky Fungi by 8lue Storm (46.5/50): show

Fun & Design: 27.75 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 14 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 4.75 / 5

Original: sky high
DisasterMaster wrote: This was my favourite level of the bunch. You managed to give a unique feel to each section while still making them feel the same. While the visuals were simplistic, they were still wonderful and I loved the way the mushroom platforms were presented throughout. Using a sparkling effect to indicate a bonus room was a great idea, although I do wished it was used again to highlight that effect leading to secrets.
The platforming amongst the orange raising/lowering mushrooms and pink spring mushrooms felt smooth. The horizontal wrapping section’s vertical climb was easily the best part, although that last spring jump just before the pipe is a bit awkward (and you could have slipped in another secret room at the top instead of a hidden mushroom).
What a sky high feeling I had after playing this one!

Fun & Design:29/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Radiance wrote: I was honestly scared on how will this level improve the original as the original looks good already and is the best level for me.
The aesthetics is faithful to the original, the addition of spring and growing mushrooms is a great complement to the original, and the design of the remake removes the unnecessary/bad setups from the original.
I had fun playing this one. Perfect points for you!

Fun & Design:30/30; Isomorphism & Creativity: 15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Total: 50/50
Shinbison-Kof wrote: Here we have a stage that has as its main mechanic, the use of vertically moving mushroom platforms. Despite being a very simple concept, it is fun and well executed. I found interesting the attempt to implement new setups in each section, this made the level more fun, such as the addition of the higher jumps in the vertical sections, as well as the use of horizontal wrapping in the last vertical section, allowing the player to explore jumps crossing the screen horizontally. Some complaints I found in the stage were related to the mushroom blocks not being solid, in addition, in the second section, when jumping on the trampoline mushroom, it is possible for the player to hit the ceiling (which is also a trampoline mushroom), causing an unfair death, besides being a blind jump. Also, I felt that the setups could be explored more, because they almost become repetitive, maybe add horizontal and diagonal movements on the platforms, or add more types of interaction with the platforms/trampolines, there are several possibilities. The remake is interesting because it took a romp smw stage and transformed it into a fun stage, still in smw, but with the addition of mushrooms in platform form. Overall it is a simple stage, with few mistakes, but fun!

Fun & Design:23/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:11/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 4/5
Sux wrote: This level is fantastic, it has exquisitely captured the concepts of the original level, since the smw style of an athletic sky/mushrooms themed level and even the bonus section. The addition of the moving mushroom platforms fit the level very well, as well as the bloompers platforms, although they can make the player easily lose control while jump, and the mushroom blocks should be semisolid. The use of the warp section was clever and in addition to a beautiful atmosphere with a aesthetical care in its own details such clouds parallax, made this level feels really fresh, it's a great job.

Fun & Design:29/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:15/15; Polish & Aesthetics:5/5
Medals:
1. (contest) mountain by AirShip (48.25/50): show

Fun & Design: 28.25 / 30
Isomorphism & Creativity: 15 / 15
Polish & Aesthetics: 5 / 5

Original: a dark level
DisasterMaster wrote: The level’s name may be pretty plain, but its aesthetics and gameplay are anything but. You took the idea of a dark world and turned it into a hauntingly ethereal waterfall-filled cliffside. The neon appearance of the water and enemies highlights the bleakness of the surrounding mists. It beautifully contrasts the solid stone of the surrounding landscape.
This gives a whole new meaning to flying fish. They worked very well as both an in-water and aerial threat, especially when having to jump between bubbles. That being said, when the bubble is on its downward ascent, it can sometimes cause you to get stuck in place if you’re near the bubble’s top. This is bad news if you have a wave of incoming Blurps. I appreciate that you also included a secret exit for the more explorer-oriented.
This is wonderful example of a metamorphosis done right.

Radiance wrote: While the remake focuses more on the water parts, I think it works as the waterfalls from the original was replaced by aerial bubbles. I had a hard time navigating with aerial bubbles especially when the fish are around which makes some setups a waiting game but it's a minor issue. The aesthetics complemented the dark background. Really cool visuals and I think it's an excellent remake for the original level.

Shinbison-Kof wrote: This stage has a very interesting concept, which involves the use of bubbles that move in different directions. Compared to the original, it is an excellent remake, because it captured well the idea of being cliffs with water in a dark environment, and also, the idea of using bubbles to represent the main mechanic was excellent. About the gimmick, all setups were very well executed, because despite being a very simple mechanic, it doesn't become repetitive, because of the great notion of progression that was developed here. The level design itself is great, with a fair distribution of npcs, power-ups and checkpoints, besides that, the main gimmick was used in a fair way. The atmosphere is awesome, definitely my favourite here, my only personal complaint is the music, I didn't feel it matched that much even though it was excellent. My only problem with the level is related to the last setup, I think it would be interesting if it had only one octopus before, and then two to be more fair, since despite being the last challenge of the level, it becomes much more complex to dodge. Besides that, the variation of fish causes a certain confusion, because theoretically the red fish could indicate that they hurt when jumping on them, but in fact only 1 type of fish allows that, so in certain parts of the level where there is the possibility of boosting them is broken, because of this small defect. Furthermore, there are a few parts of the level where the physics of the moving bubbles do not favour jumping. Finally, I felt that the stage ended a little abruptly. Overall it is an excellent stage, great feeling of progress and difficulty curve, impeccable atmosphere and very fun!

Fun & Design:27/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:15/15; Polish & Aesthetics: 5/5
Total: 47/50
Sux wrote: What a beautiful level. It captured well the idea of a grey atmosphere in a stupefying aesthetic, the mechanics of swimming in waterfalls were adapted to bubbles, which fit the level better. Overall it has a fluid gameplay where the difficulty of the obstacles evolved consistently, despite some difficult jumps on the bubbles, especially when they are moving. I did not understand why there is a secret exit through the key, in case this copy is used in any episode, I must say it is very obvious. Anyway, outstanding work.

Fun & Design:28/30; Isomorphism & Creativity:15/15; Polish & Aesthetics:5/5
Total: 48/50
Medals:

Medal: show
Congratulation to Airship for winning.

Download the spreadsheet here!

Download the level pack here!
(If there's any bugs, errors or mistakes, do tell me.)
Last edited by TDK on Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jur1121
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: A salt enthusiast

Postby Jur1121 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:28 pm

Excellent. Thanks for hosting this contest. I enjoyed the concept much. And shoutouts to the judges for the volunteer work. Looks like I was too afraid to make more drastic changes, leading to my downfall.

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:44 pm

No medals, huh?

Giving it was a Bad2Good level, I think I went a bit far with how I want to keep things unchanged for the originality of the old level. Barely moving the structure (where each pond was), some backgrounds, and basic enemy patterns. This in turn does hurt how much I can really expand aside from some new NPCs, textures, a checkpoint, and a bonus section. Using a greyscale filter on an SMW background is decent enough since I don't have to redraw everything with how crappy some graphics are (not to mention completely fixing the player graphic).

Certainly a more fun and less stressful contest. We all have very old levels dated back v1.3, and in the process of 2.0fying and Lua-fying them, so there's always good opportunity to retry that. Thanks for the contest.

Sux
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Sux » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:18 pm

It was a very interesting contest in its concept, I had a lot of fun with this, it was a very nice experience being judge for the first time, we had some really exquisite entries. Congratulations to all involved

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:02 pm

Congratz everyone! It was a fun contest, and pretty fun to judge. :)

Mal8rk
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: English Speaking Spanish Speaker
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Mal8rk » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:05 pm

Even though I didn't win, it was still fun to participate in this. Thanks to the judges for their criticims. I will use them in the future when making levels. And congrats to the contestants too!

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Alagirez » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:14 pm

Wowie never expected that I'm in top 3. Congrats everyone, especially the winner. Joining this contest was fun.

Return to “Contests and Events”