[The Ultimate Super Mario Land 1 + 2 NPC Pack!] (v1.5)

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

[The Ultimate Super Mario Land 1 + 2 NPC Pack!] (v1.5)

Postby MegaDood » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:41 pm

After two and a half years, we finally present you this.
A massive love letter to the first Super Mario Land games, with NPCs, bosses, powerups and gimmicks, all featured in a ginormous NPC/Block pack.

There's not only NPCs and Blocks, but also recolours, categorising of basegame NPCs, modifications of some basegame NPCs and tons and tons of extra settings. There's even a few original NPCs, either made up or based on something, such as the "Roketon Gunner", based on the original concept art for that enemy, or "Tatanga's Robot Guard", based on a panel in a Gameboy comic about Super Mario Land.

This would not have been possible without the collective efforts of the team behind this, that being

-MegaDood
-9thCore
-KBM-Quine
-lucstar06
-Dynamo
-Inferno
-MrDoubleA

Many other people contributed to the pack in the past, and the full list of credits is included within each category of the pack in a txt document called "Credits".
When it comes to crediting, please refer to another txt document called "Detailed list of who made what", as this contains in alphabetical order a list of what got coded and created by who.

We hope you enjoy using this pack, there's something for everyone included in here.

Here are the screenshots, and a video showcasing the pack.
Screenshots/Gifs: show

Versions: show
1.0 - Released
1.0.1 - Added a feature to make the sky/marine pop compatible with Enjl's walljump script and fixed some bugs. Also added a config to change the player's X and Y offset while inside the vehicle.
1.1 - Added the ability to alter the health of all SML1 NPCs that have health by default, via a new NPC config called "health". Bosses behave more like basegame bosses. Fixed a few more bugs with the sky/marine pop.
1.1.1 - Fixed a bug with the sky/marine pop, when going offscreen for too long horizontally it now kills the player. Also added a note and a fix for it when using autoscroll.lua, as it can be buggy with the pop.
1.1.1.1 - Fixed a very minor bug with the Gunion relating to it spawning its projectiles.
1.1.1.2 - Fixed a small bug with the sky/marine pop where the player wouldn't take damage sometimes when in it.
1.1.1.3 - 9thCore fixed some bugs with the Bopping Toady NPC.
1.1.2 - Fixed a bug with the Witch where she would become friendly if placed in a section that the player doesn't start in. Also included four new recolours of the Yurarin NPCs, by DisasterMaster!
1.1.3 - Added two SMW styled alternate sprites for the bird fish and spiny cheep cheep on the SML2 side.
1.1.3.1 - Made a minor fix to the sky/marine pop NPCs where the player would previously be able to farm 1-ups if stomping foes while riding them.
1.2 - Made documentation for the NPC pack, and fixed some minor spelling and grammar mistakes within the pack.
1.3 - Added many new alternate graphics, provided by SuperAlex and P-Tux7.
1.3.1 - Fixed multiple bugs, and added a few new alternate graphics.
1.3.2 - Made a very minor change to Dragonzamasu to make him able to be moved with layers, as well as updating a couple .ini files
1.3.3 - Made a fix to the Tokotokos, fixing a bug where they would act wonky on slopes.
1.3.4 - Released another update, fixing some bugs with the sky and marine pop. Big thanks to Marioman2007 for helping with these!
1.3.5 - Added even more GFX, big thanks to SuperAlex for providing them!
1.3.6 - Added more GFX to the pack, in the Super Mario Land 2 side of things.
1.3.6.1 - Added an extra graphic by LumSht. Thanks for that!
1.3.7 - Added some more graphics by LumSht, on the Super Mario Land side.
1.3.7.1 - Added alternate graphics for bunbun and heavy zed.
1.3.8 - Added lots more graphics, and made a change to Tatanga's Robot Guards to make them more aggressive and interact with thrown projectiles better.
1.4 - Added a new NPC: The Crystal Ball from the final boss of Super Mario Land 2. Also added a new feature to Wario.
1.4.1 - Fixed a bug affecting the bosses where shoulder bashing them with Wario would cause them to die instantly.
1.5 - Added new alternate graphics, added some alternate AI to the bopping toady, battle beetle, bear and mad wasp, by Enjl. The Sky and Marine pops have also been updated. You can now set them to move with autoscroll, and force a player to stay inside and exit whenever you'd like, through the use of new Pop Blocks!
Documentation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s-i ... sp=sharing

Finally, here is the download link.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mvarsy ... sp=sharing
Last edited by MegaDood on Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:23 am, edited 38 times in total.

Registered sand eater
Swooper
Swooper
Pronouns: he/him

Re: [The Ultimate Super Mario Land 1 + 2 NPC Pack!]

Postby Registered sand eater » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:09 am

This is so fantastic!!! Can't wait to check it out!!

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby ShadowXeldron » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:56 am

This is just what I was looking for for one of my side projects! I'll test out the bosses immediately. Funily enough, I actually played Super Mario Land last night on real hardware.

Main Pro
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: FIRE!

Postby Main Pro » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:48 am

This is the only thing i wanted! Thanks you for you and your NPC pack are existent!

Dynam0
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Dynam0 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:01 am

Fantastic to see this finally released! It was a honor to be a playtester for this and I hope everyone finds much use in these wonderful NPCs going forward. :)

georgespezi12
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby georgespezi12 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:08 am

Something handy to have for LQTS episode.

DisasterMaster
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Re: [The Ultimate Super Mario Land 1 + 2 NPC Pack!] (v1.1)

Postby DisasterMaster » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:36 pm

This pack is awesome! SML1 & 2 had several enemies that I've always liked and I'm excited to bring them into some new levels.

While making an autoscroller with the Marine Pop, I did notice some issues, though:

1) While in the vehicle, you ignore camera boundaries. This means you can go as far as you want off-screen, except down which will continue to kill you.

2) Marine Pop and NPC Passthough Blocks don't mix.

This probably also affects the Sky Pop, but I haven't tested it. Other than that, amazing work!

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Re: [The Ultimate Super Mario Land 1 + 2 NPC Pack!] (v1.1)

Postby MegaDood » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:59 am

DisasterMaster wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:36 pm
This pack is awesome! SML1 & 2 had several enemies that I've always liked and I'm excited to bring them into some new levels.

While making an autoscroller with the Marine Pop, I did notice some issues, though:

1) While in the vehicle, you ignore camera boundaries. This means you can go as far as you want off-screen, except down which will continue to kill you.

2) Marine Pop and NPC Passthough Blocks don't mix.

This probably also affects the Sky Pop, but I haven't tested it. Other than that, amazing work!
Thanks for the bug reports, I'll look into them.

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Re: [The Ultimate Super Mario Land 1 + 2 NPC Pack!] (v1.1.1)

Postby MegaDood » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:22 pm

Released a few small updates, mostly to fix some bugs related to the sky/marine pop.
There's a few new NPC configs for the pops, that being the ability to offset the player's position while riding it. Useful if you're using a costume that's too big for the cockpit.
All SML1 NPCs that have health now can be modified. So you can make a fly take 20 hits to be killed by a fireball now for some reason.
This doesn't apply to NPCs that already took 1 hit to kill regardless, as I only wanted to do it to the stronger ones.

Added in 6 hours 12 minutes :

Edit: Fixed a very minor bug with the Gunion relating to it spawning its projectiles.

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: wash your hands and stay at home

Re: [The Ultimate Super Mario Land 1 + 2 NPC Pack!] (v1.1.1.1)

Postby Chilly14 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:57 pm

The "Lick Range" option for Bopping Toadies isn't working.

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Re: [The Ultimate Super Mario Land 1 + 2 NPC Pack!] (v1.1.1.1)

Postby MegaDood » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:57 am

Chilly14 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:57 pm
The "Lick Range" option for Bopping Toadies isn't working.
Thanks for that, I'll let 9thCore know about this.

In the meantime, there's been a small update fixing another bug with the sky/marine pop. Hopefully now it should be more stable.

Added in 7 hours 48 minutes 12 seconds:
Re: [The Ultimate Super Mario Land 1 + 2 NPC Pack!] (v1.1.1.2)
Bug has been fixed.

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Re: [The Ultimate Super Mario Land 1 + 2 NPC Pack!] (v1.1.2)

Postby MegaDood » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:06 am

Released another small update, fixing a bug with the Witch, and adding four new recolours of the Yurarin NPC, done by DisasterMaster!

ElTipsta
Lakitu
Lakitu
Pronouns: she/her

Postby ElTipsta » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:59 pm

this is a fantastic pack. will definitely be using some of these.

Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: English Speaking Spanish Speaker

Postby Mal8rk » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:36 pm

This is pretty awesome to see, but I think the claw that moves npcs around should have an option to not drop the npcs when comming close to it. And I wish you could change the speed, as they are pretty slow

AToMIC
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: I'm here

Re: [The Ultimate Super Mario Land 1 + 2 NPC Pack!] (v1.1.3.1)

Postby AToMIC » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:13 am

Lemme tell you, this pack has been a MASSIVE help with my project so far. I've always wanted to implement the Super Ball into my episode as a power up and now thanks to you I can. My good friend please pat yourself on the back because this pack is superb!

KBM-Quine
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Crazy with a K

Postby KBM-Quine » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:19 am

POPME wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:36 pm
This is pretty awesome to see, but I think the claw that moves npcs around should have an option to not drop the npcs when comming close to it. And I wish you could change the speed, as they are pretty slow
putting npcdropproximitytype=0 in an npc txt should do it. there's a few others you can do too if you look at the npc lua. could've probably benefited from some form of documentation but alas

MarchTo49
Spiny
Spiny
Pronouns: They/them

Postby MarchTo49 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:10 am

How can I made all the NPCs available in the editor? I put the file on the level folder, save the level file with the same name as the level folder have, and got nothing.

Registered sand eater
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Registered sand eater » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:45 am

MarchTo49 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:10 am
How can I made all the NPCs available in the editor? I put the file on the level folder, save the level file with the same name as the level folder have, and got nothing.

Can you send a picture of the level folder where you put the files?

MarchTo49
Spiny
Spiny
Pronouns: They/them

Postby MarchTo49 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:20 am

Registered sand eater wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:45 am
Can you send a picture of the level folder where you put the files?

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:39 am

MarchTo49 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:20 am
(image)
the custom asset folder should have the same name as the level. so, you should name yours MARIO FOREVER instead of Untitled

Return to “LunaLua”