[SMBX2] Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Mr Existent
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: I do art
Pronouns: He/They

Re: [SMBX2] [Minisode] Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest

Postby Mr Existent » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:01 pm

Oh no way there is a captain toad episode? Definitely checking this one out.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FutureNyanCat » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:21 am

NEW LEVEL! - Malware-Me Mass Attack
When Captain Toad is transported into the Cyber World through the networking systems of Automaton Elysium, he finds himself on the run from a computer virus named Malware-Me, who so happened to copy his looks and movements! This is my episode's counterpart to Treasure Tracker's Mummy-Me, which is a similar entity.

I started full work on this level for a week after the release of the reveal trailer for the upcoming Super Mario Bros. Movie. I can say the movie is one of the main reasons why I'm slowly motivating myself to continue working on Prism Star Quest with the help of my fellow team members.
Spoiler: show

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:54 pm

Hey everyone, I'm really busy with exams, but I'm excited to let you know that a new team member has hopped on Team Starshroom as a level designer for Prism Star Quest. SuperAlex has finished two new levels for the project, and will be working on more as I speak. More power, more teamwork, more fun!

Additional update:
So another big thing besides the new team member additions, the episode is becoming more than just a minisode as I speak. I'd like to confirm some things to the public:

World Map System
- Like with most episodes, a world map system will be featured, using SMWmap.lua by MrDoubleA. One notable thing about it is that it's going to train me to finally work on proper world maps in the SMW format, and second, it will organize the levels a bit better than what Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker usually does. (having arbitrary-themed levels set in random orders)
- A majority of the levels are complete, and a few more are to come. There are 8 worlds to organize them, and each world has 3-4 levels, making it a pretty easy task! I'd like to confirm that Spotcap City has become its own world, as well as Pyropuff Peak, which will be expanded further than its original appearance in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.
- A Warp Zone has been confirmed, this time it's going to span a single level, with all warps leading to other worlds. Each warp is unlocked as Captain Toad progresses further in the episode.

Bosses
- Like in CTGTOS, the episode's going to have boss splash transition screens, each with their own unique artwork (based on Paper Mario-styled artwork) in addition to a unique boss subtitle. It's gonna be formatted in a similar fashion to the boss splash screens in Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion, combined with the WARNING text and sounds from Mega Man X/Zero. The splash screens are to help the player anticipate the upcoming boss battle, especially if they're not familiar with how Captain Toad moves.
- Bosses are split off into their own levels, similar to how they were handled in Kirby's Adventure and modern Kirby games, as well as 2k1x Subzero Heroes. No need to go all the way through an entire level just to find and beat the boss.
- Bosses are relatively simple, having about 3-5 hits per boss. They'd also get tougher attacks as the player progresses during the fight.
- There are 8 bosses per world. Fun fact btw - Bowser and Kamek are NOT bosses. But I'd like to confirm King Boo is one of them.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:03 am

NEW LEVEL! Infernal Fringes Frolic
Captain Toad has set (hot) foot into the volcanic outskirts of Pyropuff Peak! While on his blazing return, he has to contend with Fling Blocks, Magmaarghs, Podoboos, Draglets, and other fiery enemies awaiting his path!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: [SMBX2] Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest

Postby FutureNyanCat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:04 am

New video is out - the full gameplay video of Operation Iron Mouse - the Ironmouse crossover level, is finally out. Depending on how you see it, it may be spoilers or not, so make sure you're ready!
Also we have a bunch of levels created! If you want to contribute, the floor's still open.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:08 am

Massive Catch-up Update:
It's been a while, but here's a summary of all new updates that were posted from late 2022 to early 2023! Here's some of the new levels created by members of Team Starshroom:

FNC2002:
- Fire Flower Tundra focuses on Captain Toad's ability to use the Fire Flower, and will be the first and only source of Fire Flowers in the entire episode. Fire Flowers can be used as an assist item to help Captain Toad navigate through the level without being hit by enemies, but this level purely focuses on its mechanics, including melting ice and dealing with pesky Cooligans.
- Sky High Snaking is a sky level that focuses on Snake Blocks, and uses SiIvaGunner's Kirby's Dream Land 3 soundfont cover of the SMB3 athletic theme. And there's four types of Snake Block to find, each at different speeds!
- Wood Cutter Clamber sends Captain Toad climbing upwards through a giant tree, while performing some tricky egg tricks like it's Dude Perfect! It also sees the return of the Stumper enemy from Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.
SuperAlex:
- Can Canyon is a bonus level where Captain Toad dives into a landfill full of... you guessed it... cans? Some odd creatures have decided to inhabit the Can Canyon, from can-throwing Spikes to even giant living cans that spray pellets of soda or even soda clouds to obscure your vision.
- Burnin' Bops in the Sneaky Sky sees Captain Toad on a mission through a sky fortress filled with fiery enemies. You might find some familiar Cuphead enemies in this level, especially Firemarchers, so be careful and don't forget to bring your Ice Balls!
MegaDood:
I wonder what that crystal level is for...
Prism Emerald:
In cooperation with FutureNyanCat himself, Prism Emerald has designed the Pipe-Vine Greenhouse, a Super Mario Odyssey-inspired greenhouse level featuring hazardous Piranha Plants, Volcano Lotuses, and Trapdragons. This level is one of the few to feature music from Shovel Knight Dig, that being the theme song of the Secret Fountain ("Thermal Vent").

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

THE SQUISHY REXPRESS [Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest]

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:23 pm

All aboard the SQUISHY REXPRESS! The first new level of 2023 (barring the late release of Fire Flower Tundra), Captain Toad boards the Squishy Rexpress, the main attraction of an amusement park he's in. However, things go off the rails really fast when it is discovered that Kuroku the Raccoon Thief is trying to sabotage the train to slow down Captain Toad! Can you stop the runaway train?

This level features voice acting by FNC2002 for... Kuroku himself! You might've heard these new voices in the Starshroom Discord server.

Also starting with these screenshots, retroResolution.lua by PlumberGraduate has been implemented, so now almost the entirety of the game is now rendered with 2x pixels properly, even darkness, particles, and weather effects!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Achromatic Darklands [Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest]

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:27 am

NEW LEVEL - Achromatic Darklands
Captain Toad has arrived on a mysterious island, rumored to the final place where the Prism Star is stored. However, he is soon greeted by a mysterious monochromatic storm that has washed out the colors of the surrounding areas and caused everything to become near lifeless. Determined that he's so close, Captain Toad must trek through the Achromatic Darklands.

This is part of the final world in Prism Star Quest, which remixes past gimmicks from other levels! So far, the level's confirmed to feature the return of Thwomps & Thwimps (Mash Mountain), Mutant Vines (Pipe-Vine Greenhouse), Firebars (Spinturn Sizzle), and more.
NEW TEAM MEMBER!
Suckerman7 GM, the creative mind behind Super Mario & the Star Prisms, has joined Prism Star Quest's level designing team! We're almost done doing all the levels, and he's also here to help!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Bustling Bramble Gambol (Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest)

Postby FutureNyanCat » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:57 am

NEW LEVEL - Bustling Bramble Gambol
This level was originally developed by Prism Emerald around the start of the episode's development last August 2022 (and Team CTGTOS getting together to making levels). Themed around brambles, I helped him with the aesthetic and enemy additions, and even turned it into a tribute to the bramble levels seen in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest! Zingers, Hammer Bros, Munchers (of the Double A Batteries variety) and Piranha Sprouts take center stage as well.

Honestly, you could already guess what the music is going to be.

bradpitt
Goomba
Goomba

Postby bradpitt » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:16 am

Wow this project looks so impressive.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

A special delivery comes in... [Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest]

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:04 am

Here's a preview of an upcoming new level! It looks like a strange shipping container is being delivered with the intent of being sent to Bowser's army. Somehow, the usual irresponsibility of the Koopa Troop has led to the container stalling Captain Toad in his tracks. What's inside the box? Find out in this new video!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

TOAD TOWN Preview Album [Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest]

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:23 pm

Surprise! I'm working on a new TOAD TOWN starting level for Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest. This is essentially a town level in a similar vein to the villages in Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space, and this time, you'll start in a very lively Toad Town within the Mushroom Kingdom as you head off to obtain the Prism Star! A lot of things are WIP, but the town level will have:
- Fast travel (SetaYoshi's Warp Hub)
- Lots of dialogue for those who like to look at a lot of stuff
- Lots of friends to meet
- Cameos and references, including some of my long-time friends
- And more!

Sharing three screenshots, but I'll give more in the Imgur album below.
https://imgur.com/a/tUcSe8O

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Small Updates, 1st Anniversary (Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest)

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:02 am

Small Update!
It's been roughly a month since the 1st anniversary of the announcement of Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest! Thank you all for being patient with us - development has been slow lately because we got personal lives to attend to, and especially when I'm heading back into third year of college.

Here's a run-down of the following new features I've added to PSQ in the recent months:
Speaker names have been resized to the same size as dialogue and moved into a special top label on the message box. This was a change inspired by the message boxes in Betterified VI: Bestified, and it helped saved on space while at the same time looked nicer to the player. Check out some sample dialogue:
Some dialogue boxes will have unique sounds, functionality, and colors, a change that was inspired by Waddle's levels. This applies only to a few characters and services (such as Pipecord). Thought it'd be neat to do this, for sure. In the case of Pipecord, the color of the message box now matches that of Discord's dark theme. Satanael/Ironmouse also gets pink-colored message boxes, including a dark one with a unique typewriter sound.
Next up is a very important quality-of-life feature ported over from Betterified VI: Bestified (with Valentine's permission), and that is completely nullifying the cooldown pause that occurs when taking damage (with powerups or reverting to Small Toad) or powering up. I added this to smoothen up the pacing in the episode, and it may potentially help with unbreaking some setups that could be affected by the pause timer.
If you've seen my more recent posts in the Discord servers for SMBX, I've been working on a new level - Klondike Cannonry. This is the second level to utilize the Koopa Clown Tank, one of the main gimmicks of Prism Star Quest.
Anyways, thank you all for the patience, and me and Team Starshroom will wish you a good day, and hope to release PSQ at a good time!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Knock Out Zone [Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest]

Postby FutureNyanCat » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:02 am

WELCOME TO THE KNOCK OUT ZONE!
A Super Mario Bros. Wonder-inspired level in Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest! In the Knock-Out Zone, you are tasked to beat nine rooms before the timer runs out. Complete it in the fastest time possible, and you could reap great rewards! This video is a full showcase of what the level is like.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

King Boo! [Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest]

Postby FutureNyanCat » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:18 pm

KING BOO Boss Showcase!
After making a mess out of this mansion, Kuroku gets into an encounter with King Boo... just so he could get information about the whereabouts of Enigma Island (and the Prism Star's whereabouts). When Captain Toad gets into the scene too, nothing just goes right at all... Find out by watching this video!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Prism Star Quest and SMBX2 Beta 5! (See Thread)

Postby FutureNyanCat » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:34 pm

Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest and SMBX2 Beta 5: The Future
During the 2-year development cycle of Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest, SMBX2 Beta 5 just came out, bringing in a slew of new features, NPCs, and other cool stuff to basegame SMBX. Since Prism Star Quest started development during SMBX2 Beta 4, I might as well address the forum userbase about some things as we prep the episode for release on SMBX2 Beta 5 this year.

Is the episode compatible with Beta 5?
Yes! Definitely! It is based on Beta 4, so there's already a leeway for us to easily port code and whatsoever from the previous version. It'd be even more disastrous if we started with Beta 3 though. However, continuing development in Beta 5 comes with pros and cons:
  • Some mechanics and level design may be somewhat altered due to slight changes in basegame code. Some of these unintentional changes may be result of basegame bugs which may be fixed in newer patches and hotfixes, whenever applicable.
  • A lot of the custom NPCs we used in Prism Star Quest have been (surprisingly enough) ported to basegame. Examples include MrDoubleA's Spikes, SMM2 Burners and Lusho's Cannons. Some levels may need to be slightly altered to make use of the basegame NPCs as a result.
  • As some new NPCs have been added, this made some additions of new content easier, such as setting up a shop system and providing a new maximum limit to how many coins Captain Toad can hold at a time.
When will PSQ be released?
While no exact date has been set, Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest is planned for a 2024 release. We're just working on wrapping up most of the levels, and eventually we'll get to bosses, world map, and other stuff. Surprisingly enough, once a small episode, it grew so big to the point I should probably apologize for the unnecessary scope creep that happened.

As past episodes I've worked on like the 2013 Toad Goes to Outer Space and Zeus Guy's Adventure have been canned before, I think this might be the first time I'll be releasing an episode I did create (especially with my friends' help). Though, my first contribution in a released episode was actually in Suckerman7 GM's "Luigi's Quest: Trouble in Sarasaland" (not counting contest compilation episodes).

Will the custom Captain Toad player script be released?
At some point, after the release of Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest, the player script will be released for everyone to make their very own Captain Toad levels with. I'm excited to see what you'll come up with!

Is PSQ still in development?
Obviously yes. I've added a couple of new levels, and some team members have started making their own. Lolcode also finished a level for the episode that took him two years to make, so I salute for his undying dedication. Again, once we complete all the levels, we can focus on making bosses and the world map, and hopefully polishing it up for a full release.

And that's it! Look forward to the release of PSQ this year! Thanks for the good wait as always!

Ibaka
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Nothing
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Ibaka » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:54 am

Episode looks very tech based.

Return to “Projects”