[SMBX2] Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

[SMBX2] Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest

Postby FutureNyanCat » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:24 am

By Team CTGTOS

As a result of Marioman2007 and I finally finishing the main framework for replicating the gameplay of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, we planned on adding levels themed around "Captain Toad's Adventures" in our main project, Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space. However, we found out that it was fun to make short puzzles and levels themed around the mechanic of "being unable to jump". This resulted in the birth of our new side project - Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest!

STORYLINE
Today is a big day for the Mushroom Kingdom as Princess Peach is celebrating her birthday. Many of her friends, including Mario & Luigi, are bringing many gifts for her, but Captain Toad still hasn't decided on which gift to get!

Recently, there were rumors spread across Toad Town about the shiny Prism Star - a giant rainbow-colored Power Star which is considered one of the rarest known Power Stars in existence. When the news reaches Captain Toad, he decided that the Prism Star might be the best gift to get for Princess Peach's birthday, and so he sets out on an adventure to retrieve it.

It may seem easy for him, until he runs into the dastardly Kuroku the Raccoon Thief. Kuroku becomes an instant rival to Captain Toad, knowing that the former's also going for the Prism Star just like him. He's looking to steal the Prism Star to add it to his collection of rare treasures. But not until Captain Toad manages to get here first. And you can help our great adventurer out!

FEATURES
Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest combines the "no-jumping" gameplay of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker & the "Captain Toad's Adventures" levels in Super Mario 3D World with that of the 2D side-scrolling gameplay of traditional Mario platformers. Guide Captain Toad across small puzzles and even side-scrolling ventures as you adventure to collect the Prism Star before Kuroku the Raccoon Thief does.

- Play as Captain Toad! He cannot jump or spinjump, but regardless, you can still help him get past the many obstacles.
- About 20-30 short levels are planned, equivalent to the length of an average Episode in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Look out for some optional challenges as well!
- Featuring the works of FutureNyanCat, MegaDood, Prism Emerald, SuperAlex, and more!
- Three Super Gems to collect in each level! Can you collect them all?
- Featuring the many gimmicks of LunaLUA from the SMBX community, all redefined in the context of Captain Toad's adventure!
- A modern take on the SMW art style
- No Bowser/Bowser Jr./Koopalings. That'll be lame-o!
- A few cameo appearances...
- And more!

SCREENSHOTS
Warning: Not final and may be subject to change!
Spoiler: show
VIDEOS

DISCORD
Looking forward to more development updates on this minisode? Check out the Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space Discord server!
CTGTOS Discord

SUPPORT THE PROJECT
Feel free to put this in your signature:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=28380][img]https://i.imgur.com/tJCfMwE.png[/img][/url]
Also check out Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space:
Featuring over 28+ levels spanning across Earth and even seven alien planets, Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space is a reboot of my cancelled SMBX 1.3 project, Toad Goes to Outer Space. With Planet Mars on a sudden collision course, can you help Captain Toad and the Toad Brigade save Planet Earth from an apocalyptic doom, while finding the root cause of everything?
Last edited by FutureNyanCat on Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:41 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Registered sand eater
Swooper
Swooper
Pronouns: he/him

Re: [SMBX2] [Minisode] Captain Toad: Prism Star Quest

Postby Registered sand eater » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:43 am

Ready for adventure!

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:47 pm

Wow So cute screenshots. I mighty was able to play in the Future.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:24 am

New screenshot! This is "Chaos in the Cemetery", a new level focused on dodging Boos and Peepas, as well as dealing with arrow lifts.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:46 am

New screenshots released! Two new levels are being added: Pupupu Mission and Electric Summer!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:37 am

New screenshots! Here's two new levels being added - a bomb level that's finished by MegaDood, and the other being a new airship level - Flight of The Broomstick!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:23 am

New screenshot! This is from a newly completed level of mine - Birds and Beans. It combines Beanies & Flaptors into a fun package! This screenshot doesn't show much, but there's more to than what meets the eye!

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:04 am

So far the project looks promising, even tho it's a minisode. Really love the SMW-esque stuff that you did there c:
Good luck finishing it!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:38 am

New screenshot! Venture through a deserted pyramid filled with Reznors and Grrrols in the new "Rumble Crumble Ruins"!
Also this section of the level is still a work in progress, but here's an extra screenshot if you're really curious! Reznors have a new subspecies, the Ravagor, which acts similarly to a Tantrunt but without the POW effect when slamming into walls.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:39 pm

New screenshot! Captain Toad makes his way to Spotcap City (from Captain Toad Goes to Outer Space) while chasing Kuroku down. But when red coins and locked doors are abound, this is going to be taking quite a good while. Check out the new level, "Spotcap City Coin Search"!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:27 pm

New screenshot! Navigate a lively factory full of exploding robots, toxic waste, Snifits, conveyor belts, and other thingamajigs in the new level, "Automaton Elysium"!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:13 am

New screenshots... There's going to be a crossover!

As Captain Toad drifts away to sleep after setting up camp near a strange statue of a fallen angel, he soon finds himself in a heavenly dream realm. Something just doesn't seem right about him being suddenly warped to a strange dream world that resembles the afterlife... but regardless, Captain Toad presses on, hoping to find the answer.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:21 am

Heads up everyone! As I finally finish most of the levels I sent screenshots of here in this thread, I just wanted to announce that I'm taking a break from making these levels. First of all, I got burnt out after making the latest level, and also I worry a lot about my schoolwork sometimes. Thankfully, some of my teammates are working on levels too for this minisode, so I hope you're looking forward to what's to come from them!

A quick reminder that this is the list of people working on levels for the minisode:
- FutureNyanCat (Me!)
- MegaDood
- Prism Emerald
- Registered Sand Eater
- SanS1m0n

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:08 am

New level! The Super Pickax returns in an all-new short cave level, "Pickax Pwnhammer"!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:25 am

New level! Alongside The Fuzzyard by MegaDood (screenshot #1 on the first post) is a new extra/secret level set under the sea, known as "Hundred Leagues Below", focusing on Cheep Cheeps and Urchins. Maybe Rammerheads can make a return?

KnownStranger
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby KnownStranger » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:47 pm

I was seeing those screenshots and I have concluded that a level without buried items could be interesting and fun. Plus, SMBX2 has a lot of basegame NPCs and blocks that can be used. Anyways, the levels look creative and colorful. Keep going!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:38 pm

Stay tuned everyone! Some more updates to Prism Star Quest are coming soon! I'm currently working on Hundred Leagues Below and should be finished by today or so.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:38 am

New level!
While on the trail for the Prism Star, Captain Toad discovers that the Yoshi Fields have been cluttered with a spill of Berry Blocks! A Yoshi who has been delivering these berries to his other Yoshi brethren has accidentally spilled them everywhere, leaving more blockades for Captain Toad to deal with. Enter "Yoshi's Picnic Panic", a level dedicated to some of my old friends like Yoshibrothers, where you must guide the Baby Yoshis to the Berry Blocks to feed them and clear a path!
Screenshot retaking/NEW HUD?
I'll be revising some of the screenshots on the thread, as you might've noticed a new HUD redesign that's in the screenshots for Yoshi's Picnic Panic. This was designed and conceptualized by me, while Team Starshroom member "Marioman2007" has coded pretty much everything, including support for a reserve box!

In the new HUD, it is based on the design used for Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker's HUD, though with my own flair on it. It condenses all important information (health, coins, and Super Gems) into one corner of the screen, while the item box is moved to the bottom left for more screen space.

This new HUD design is also going to be used for CTGTOS as an updated version of the HUD. Stay tuned!

Added in 3 hours 24 minutes 15 seconds:
I've updated the screenshots list on the thread to reflect the episode's more updated appearance since September 2022! Also in this new post, I'm introducing a new level that's made in cooperation with Prism Emerald (gbradley231) - Hydrostation Hijinks! Captain Toad explores a hydrostation that's filled to the brim with electric thingamajigs, Tesla Coils, and more!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:16 am

NEW LEVEL! - Claw Grip Carnival by MegaDood
Another level courtesy of Team Starshroom team member "MegaDood". Explore a fun carnival featuring the Mario Zone claws from SML2! Watch out for Goomba Stacks and enemy claws that can drop nasty fireballs and Goombas on you!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:18 am

NEW LEVEL! - The Floating Mushman by FNC2002
Ahoy mateys, I present you a brand new level where a headlamp-equipped landlubber has found himself sailing across the ocean on the famous pirate ship, The Floating Mushman! Not related to the similarly-named ghost ship.

Return to “Projects”