[SMBX-38A] The Legend of Darkness

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
HengShao
Rex
Rex

[SMBX-38A] The Legend of Darkness

Postby HengShao » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:59 am

The Legend of Darkness is a SMBX-38A episode made by Hel studio, whose members are mostly from China.
This project of this episode was originally launched by me in summer 2015, and this episode has only been finished the former 2 chapters before. Because I was busy after starting high school in summer 2017, and members in the studio also had their own affairs to deal with, the progress of this project was very slow. During this time, Slash-18 updated many stuffs in this episode.
When I began my university career, I finally could spend some time on this project. Because we're dissatisfied with the levels we made years ago, we decided that we will make levels of this episode from scratch. We're remaking levels in Chapter 1 at present.

Since the spriter who made Mario sprite left our team due to personal matter, and we can't find the suitable spriter for that now, the progress of this project is rather slow. If you are talented spriter or you know someone willing to help, please contact with us in this project's Discord server. Thanks!

DEMO 1 PROGRESS: 75%

FEATURE
Spoiler: show
The Legend of Darkness is a SMBX-38A episode with a lot of unique features. In this episode, player will explore 8 different chapters, meet with various characters with different personalities, experience many new mechanisms, watch vivid and energetic cutscenes, and the most importantly... play interesting levels!
STORY
The Power of Darkness sealed long time ago has been broken. A mysterious man claiming 'Mr.Dark' obtained this power, seeming to intend to use this power for dominating the world. To stop his evil deeds, Mario and Luigi have to start on an adventure again. A legend has it that only Stars of Brightness can be used to save the world from falling into the darkness. On their way to collecting Stars of Brightness to save the world, the Mario Bros will experience various uncertainties, and some unexpected people may join in their party to go on the adventure with them together. How will their adventure go on, what's the fate of this world later, and what's deal with that mysterious 'Mr.Dark'? Play this episode to find the answer!
SCREENSHOTS
VIDEOS
Opening Plot:

Newest Teaser Trailer:

Teaser Trailer:

Opening Cutscene:

1-2 the Sewer Part Walkthrough Showcase:

Preview Video of Opening Plot & Level 1-1:
CREDITS
Level Design:
HengShao
MarioXyy
Mr.Cutter
Onton
Slash-18
TheCreator520

World Map Design:
Marchtinal
TheCreator520

Story:
HengShao
Slash-18
TheCreator520

Text Translation & Localization:
DA MARIO GUY
HengShao
Slash-18
TheCreator520

GFX:
ADOFAW
ArnuroMinigon
Astrakitu
AwesomeZack
Chad
Dark Bright
Doc Melonhead
electro_kun
Eminus
FlameBoi
FPI
GateteVerde
HengShao
h2643
Icegoom
Kaizo_Zhang_15
Kusanagi Sans
LangtonLion64
LinkStormZ
Lx Xzit
Maibara
Mario84
Mr.Pink Teddy
Mudkip
NewWeegie
P-anon
reghrhre
rockythechao
Sednaiur
Skikaternia
Slash-18
SliverDeoxys563
Squishy Rex
Starshi
SuperSledgeBro
Thales
TheCreator520
Vob-omb
Xiaodou

*The names in italics are members of the development team of this project

BGM Composing:
HAL Laboratory
Liam W. (For the BGM "Ultimate Toad Town")
Nintendo

Script:
Erwill
FyreNova
Green
HengShao
Lx Xzit
Mr.Cutter
Nested Ernest
Slash-18
TheCreator520
Xiaodou
Yvahnek

*The names in italics are members of the development team of this project

(Since it can be difficult to keep recording the different creators of GFX and scripts all the time, there may be some creators' name omitted. If you find there're GFX and scripts you made and your name doesn't appear in the credits, please tell me in order to add your name into the credits. Thanks for you understanding!)
DISCORD
If you're interested in this project, join this Discord server and keep up the newest progress of the project on time!
https://discord.gg/DwCgAKa7HQ
If you want to support this project, you can put this in your signature!

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=28260][img]https://s1.ax1x.com/2022/08/09/vl8l1s.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by HengShao on Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:33 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Ibaka
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Nothing
Pronouns: he/him

Re: [SMBX-38A] The Legend of Darkness

Postby Ibaka » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:25 pm

Looks pretty neat!, although, how does having powerups with a life meter work? Do you lose the powerup when you get hit, as well as The power meter getting ticked down, or do you keep the powerup when you get hit, and just get the life meter get ticked down?
Last edited by Ibaka on Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandomer
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Sandomer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:34 pm

looks interesting, very good, but sadly it will be in 38a version instead of 2.0

Ibaka
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Nothing

Postby Ibaka » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:54 pm

yoorest2 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:34 pm
looks interesting, very good, but sadly it will be in 38a version instead of 2.0
Just get the 38a version form here, https://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714.

HengShao
Rex
Rex

Postby HengShao » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:40 pm

Ibaka wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:25 pm
Looks pretty neat!, although, how does having powerups with a life meter work? Do you lose the powerup when you get hit, as well as The power meter getting ticked down, or do you keep the powerup when you get hit, and just get the life meter get ticked down?
Thanks!
As for power-up and power meter, if your maximum HP is 3, when you get hurt, you will lose your power-up and also drop 1 HP. But if your maximum HP is 6, you will still keep your power-up even get hurt, however you will still drop 1 HP as well. Getting a power-up can heal player 1 HP (and getting a 1-UP mushroom can heal player's HP to maximum due to the cancellation of life mechanism), though you can't use power-up from Item Reserve Box to heal.

Sandomer
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Sandomer » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:44 am

Ibaka wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:54 pm
yoorest2 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:34 pm
Just get the 38a version form here, https://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714.
don't need i reminded myself that i have automaticly 38a version after downloading 2.0 (2.0 is better because there is more blocks, more npcs, more characters, more backround and more things, undo button, and a lot of good features)

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:35 pm

yoorest2 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:44 am
don't need i reminded myself that i have automaticly 38a version after downloading 2.0 (2.0 is better because there is more blocks, more npcs, more characters, more backround and more things, undo button, and a lot of good features)
in fact, you don't. while i also personally prefer smbx2, 38a is an entirely separate game built with a different engine, and is incompatible with smbx2 on both a literal (i.e. 38a level files will most likely not work in smbx2) and a gameplay sense (38a physics and interactions are different). not to mention that smbx2 does not have all of the features of 38a built in as vanilla assets (though most if not all can be added with the help of lua).

there's no reason to harbor dislike for either engine, both have strenghts and weaknesses and are perfectly capable of coexisting. this is why preference is a thing that exists, and variety will statistically bring in more talented creators, so it's a win-win situation if you ask me.

HengShao
Rex
Rex

Postby HengShao » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:45 pm

A new trailer has been released now! Watch it if you're interested in!

HengShao
Rex
Rex

Postby HengShao » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:13 pm

Thanks to Kaizo_Zhang_15 and ADOFAW's hard work, all the illustrations of the opening plot of this project has been finished now! And you can watch the complete opening plot here!

HengShao
Rex
Rex

Postby HengShao » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:29 pm

A new video of preview of opening plot & level 1-1 of this project has been updated! Watch it if you're interested in!

dulushich_ViiU
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Pronouns: them

Postby dulushich_ViiU » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:54 am

How to Download?

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:47 am

dulushich_ViiU wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:54 am
How to Download?
There is no download yet.

HengShao
Rex
Rex

Postby HengShao » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:22 pm

dulushich_ViiU wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:54 am
How to Download?
This project still doesn't have a demo yet. If we release a demo, we will write about it on the title of this topic post. So please stay tuned to the demo of this project! Thanks to your supporting!

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:58 am

Just wanted to say that it looks really good. The HUD and the many gorgeous yet harmonious colors really make for a very good impression, both with tilesets and BGs.
The only thing I find a bit strange are the "mushroom trees" that grow on mushrooms (the picture with the orange background). The small mushrooms are okay, but the mushroom tree looks really strange. But all in all, it's still a really good job.

Return to “Projects”