Why isn't SMBX big?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
NefariousNoob
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Pronouns: He/Him or They/Them

Why isn't SMBX big?

Postby NefariousNoob » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:55 pm

You've read the title, and may be wondering, "Isn't SMBX popular already?". Although yes, it's kinda popular, have you've ever seen some big YouTuber with at least 100K subscribers in the Mario community mention it at least once? Or even the fricking Nintendo community for that matter? I mean, ConnorTheWaffle did mention it, but really, people have yet to see, I don't know, Blue Television Games play it, or Mayro, or any of those big YouTubers play it. If you have any objections or questions, feel free to comment.

CAPEYOSHISMBX
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: im just a bored amateur who likes mario...
Pronouns: he

Re: Why isn't SMBX big?

Postby CAPEYOSHISMBX » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:33 pm

it deserves more recognisement however the nintendo ninjas might not like it!

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:04 pm

Honestly? I'm currently fine with the amount of attention SMBX has gotten. While it may seem exciting to get a ton of growth, the community must be cautious about getting too much of it. The main issue is that SMBX gaining too much popularity could mean Nintendo might think we're trying to compete with Mario Maker. If that happens, Nintendo could try taking down SMBX again. There is a backup plan in case this ever happens, but that doesn't make the possibility any prettier.

NefariousNoob
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby NefariousNoob » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:08 pm

CAPEYOSHISMBX wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:33 pm
it deserves more recognisement however the nintendo ninjas might not like it!
Eh, YouTubers like Blue Television Games showcase fan games freely with no cease and desist so far. I really think that the whole "Nintendo gonna take you to court over your fan game eeeek!" thing as just a massive hoax, as Nintendo only take down fan made content if it's making money somehow.

KnownStranger
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby KnownStranger » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:19 pm

In my opinion, if SMBX becomes very popular, this game will get more chances to be sued by Nintendo. A lot of Super Mario fangames were sued because of Nintendo. SMBX2 and SMBX 38A exist because the developers of the original SMBX a.k.a "Legacy SMBX" stopped working on the fangame (the reasons are very obvious). Note: I'm not sure about the last part.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:39 am

NefariousNoob wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:08 pm
I really think that the whole "Nintendo gonna take you to court over your fan game eeeek!" thing as just a massive hoax, as Nintendo only take down fan made content if it's making money somehow.
google pokemon uranium if you need an example other than smbx 1.3

BrettyBoy
Goomba
Goomba

Postby BrettyBoy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:18 am

Internet forums aren’t as popular as they use to be compared to back in the days.

KurttheKing
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: Certified Nerd

Postby KurttheKing » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:37 am

NefariousNoob wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:55 pm
I mean, ConnorTheWaffle did mention it, but really, people have yet to see, I don't know, Blue Television Games play it, or Mayro, or any of those big YouTubers play it.
OK so, Blue TV Games DID post some videos of SMBX. One for the Mario & Luigi's Delightful Adventure, and one for Super Sunchip Mario Bros. At least that's what I remember :geek:

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:
BrettyBoy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:18 am
Internet forums aren’t as popular as they use to be compared to back in the days.
I think they're referring to the game in general, not the Forums. Or at least not JUST the Forums. If that's what you mean

Knux
Nipper
Nipper
Pronouns: she/they

Postby Knux » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:45 am

A combination of things, really.

Back in 2009/10 though, it was very popular, it just didn't have a lot of YouTube hits (although, back then, YouTube hits were mostly just viral videos and in terms of video game LPers, rom hacks and fangames hadn't really taken off the way that it would in recent years [ie. nathaniel bandy, for example], unless it was a SMW hack). Raocow played it, but that was about it. But SMBX got caught up in a lot of legal issues, so that also played a part in it, I think.

The communities attitudes and strange politics played a big part in scaring people off, too.

+ the internet forum isn't as popular as it used to be, as stated previously by BrettyBoy.

I personally think the switch from IRC to Discord is what stumped a lot of post activity here, but that's way easier to use and far more advanced than IRC ever was.

NefariousNoob
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby NefariousNoob » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:23 am

deice wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:39 am
NefariousNoob wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:08 pm
I really think that the whole "Nintendo gonna take you to court over your fan game eeeek!" thing as just a massive hoax, as Nintendo only take down fan made content if it's making money somehow.
google pokemon uranium if you need an example other than smbx 1.3
I kinda forgot about Pokemon Uranium.

Added in 1 minute 52 seconds:
KurttheKing98 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:38 am
NefariousNoob wrote:
I mean, ConnorTheWaffle did mention it, but really, people have yet to see, I don't know, Blue Television Games play it, or Mayro, or any of those big YouTubers play it.
OK so, Blue TV Games DID post some videos of SMBX. One for the Mario & Luigi's Delightful Adventure, and one for Super Sunchip Mario Bros. At least that's what I remember :geek:

BrettyBoy wrote:
I think they're referring to the game in general, not the Forums. Or at least not JUST the Forums. If that's what you mean
Jackpot!

BrettyBoy
Goomba
Goomba

Postby BrettyBoy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:58 am

KurttheKing98 wrote:
NefariousNoob wrote:

BrettyBoy wrote:
My bad.

KurttheKing
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: Certified Nerd

Postby KurttheKing » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:59 am

BrettyBoy wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:58 am
KurttheKing98 wrote:
NefariousNoob wrote:

BrettyBoy wrote:
My bad.
It's fine :)

LudwigWahm
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: he/him

Postby LudwigWahm » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:52 am

Knux wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:45 am
A combination of things, really.

Back in 2009/10 though, it was very popular, it just didn't have a lot of YouTube hits (although, back then, YouTube hits were mostly just viral videos and in terms of video game LPers, rom hacks and fangames hadn't really taken off the way that it would in recent years [ie. nathaniel bandy, for example], unless it was a SMW hack). Raocow played it, but that was about it. But SMBX got caught up in a lot of legal issues, so that also played a part in it, I think.

The communities attitudes and strange politics played a big part in scaring people off, too.

+ the internet forum isn't as popular as it used to be, as stated previously by BrettyBoy.

I personally think the switch from IRC to KRNL Discord is what stumped a lot of post activity here, but that's way easier to use and far more advanced than IRC ever was.
Thats a good summary.

Fangamestalgia
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: I am Fan
Pronouns: They, She, He, It

Postby Fangamestalgia » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:28 am

Why isn't the SMBX community as large?

A) SMBX has limited promotion.
B) Mario fans don't search as much for level editors.
C) The Mario series itself competes with various other games in the market.
D) There are games on the Google Play Store that can be played.
E) Having big Mario fans like you who use SMBX isn't that common.

Conclusion:
The main reason is the issue of promotion.

The second reason is that the gaming market is extensive, so some people are bigger fans of other games.

Also, people don't search as much for 'Mario level editor.'

Super Mario Maker, on the other hand, received significant promotion, even in Brazil; it's more well-known than Super Mario Bros X.

The currency in Brazil is the real, and 1 real is approximately worth 0.2 dollars.

Furthermore, there isn't a Portuguese-language SMBX forum (Brazil speaks Portuguese).

Another thing to consider is that it might be better to leave it as it is, as if SMBX grows, Nintendo might take action against it.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real
Pronouns: he/him

Postby krakin » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:45 am

I agree with everything that has been said here so far. The fact that we have to keep a low profile to avoid any further C&Ds or DMCAs from Nintendo definitely play a part in this. I think if there weren't any threats of legal action looming over SMBX's head, and we're able to promote it and put it out there as much as we want to without getting attention from Nintendo, then maybe we'd have a chance of becoming as popular as some of these other games with editors in them (Roblox, Minecraft, Geometry Dash, etc.).

Return to “General”