Mario's Twisted Adventure

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
iForgot
Bit
Bit
Flair: Lava Lotus

Mario's Twisted Adventure

Postby iForgot » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:49 pm

The time has come.

In typical fashion, Bowser has once more kidnapped the princess. Only, this time, he kidnapped not just the princess. He also kidnapped Mario's friends--Knubby, Bomby, and Link. Mario must fight his way through levels and castles to win them back!

However, with all the time that he needs to spend clearing the levels, he is given some time to think to himself. Why does Bowser keep doing this? Is it really all about the princess, or is there something else?

Fight your way through uniquely designed levels and find out Bowser's true intentions in this classic Mario adventure...with a twist!

WARNING: This Episode is made for SMBX v1.3 and will not work with any later versions.

-Content-

• 7 themed worlds
  • Over 53 hand-designed and decorated levels
  • Each level with a new soundtrack from various video games
  • 2 custom-made tracks
  • Custom graphics
  • Unique custom boss battles
  • The first ever Kid Icarus-Mario adaptation (World 6)
  • TONS of secrets!

Each world has a secret level only accessible by finding the Red Levels' secret endings! Secret levels might be hard to find...but they are certainly worth it.

Power-up at the Star Warp, accessible at each world after completing its secret level. Get better power-ups by completing more secret levels!

Enjoy levels with unique mechanics and quirks never been seen before!

-= DOWNLOAD HERE! =-

-Level & Worldmap Screenshots-

• World 1: Green Grass Grasslands
  • World 2: The Deranged Desert
  • World 3: The Winter Bliss
  • World 4: The Fallout Zone
  • World 5: Dawn of the Dead
  • World 6: Icarus's Pipe
  • World 7: Lava Lake

Spoiler: show
LEVEL SCREENSHOTS

WORLDMAP SCREENSHOTS

-Additional Information-

-= CREDITS TEXT DOC =-

Thank you to everyone that has made this episode possible. I have worked on this episode on and off for over 5 years. I spent 3-4 hours on each level--ensuring that they were balanced, that the gameplay was fun, the design wasn't rushed, and the decorations were placed perfectly. Now that it is complete, I can say for a fact that I have a finished project that I am proud of. Even if I'm the only one that ever plays/completes this project, I couldn't be happier.

If you decide to give this episode a chance, stick with it until the end. I promise it will be worth your time. Thank you.

--

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: Mario's Twisted Adventure

Postby deice » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:25 pm

iForgot wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:49 pm
WARNING: This Episode is made for SMBX v1.3 and will not work with any later versions.
what makes you say this? from what i can see, the episode is not packaged with it's own executable or anything wacky like that, so i'm pretty sure it would be compatible with smbx2.

iForgot
Bit
Bit

Postby iForgot » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:05 pm

deice wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:25 pm
what makes you say this? from what i can see, the episode is not packaged with it's own executable or anything wacky like that, so i'm pretty sure it would be compatible with smbx2.
I actually have never even touched an SMBX2 episode or the game itself. I just assumed that it wouldn't work since they are different versions of the game. I made this episode using the SMBX 1.3.1 editor. If it works with SMBX2, then great! You'd be welcome to try it.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:24 am

alright i'm not sure whether or not this is intentional, but i'm reporting it here just in case.
i beat bowser in the world 7 castle and just kinda got softlocked, forcing me to go into the bad ending hole. i've gotten all of the stars and played through the bonus level as well, and since continuing from the bad ending route just leads to the little credits level, i'm not sure how to get to the one remaining world that i saw on the world map?
if it's a secret and you don't feel like telling me that's fine too, i'm just reporting this in case it's a bug.

iForgot
Bit
Bit

Postby iForgot » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:22 pm

deice wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:24 am
alright i'm not sure whether or not this is intentional, but i'm reporting it here just in case.
i beat bowser in the world 7 castle and just kinda got softlocked, forcing me to go into the bad ending hole. i've gotten all of the stars and played through the bonus level as well, and since continuing from the bad ending route just leads to the little credits level, i'm not sure how to get to the one remaining world that i saw on the world map?
if it's a secret and you don't feel like telling me that's fine too, i'm just reporting this in case it's a bug.
I assume you played past the world 7 castle and finished the actual credits scene where it showcased all the worlds. In that case, you completely finished the game. The “extra” world shown on the map is actually a world for a different episode I am making. I just designed it on the .wld file for this game. Thanks for playing it! I hope that it was worth your time.

I am making a “sequel” called Darkworld: Of Paradise and Promise that takes place after the ending. That extra world is the world map for the new episode.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:57 am

iForgot wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:22 pm
I assume you played past the world 7 castle and finished the actual credits scene where it showcased all the worlds. In that case, you completely finished the game. The “extra” world shown on the map is actually a world for a different episode I am making. I just designed it on the .wld file for this game. Thanks for playing it! I hope that it was worth your time.
ah ok, is the world 7 boss just an unwinnable fight then? that's fine (a bit of a bummer though, that was my favorite boss), but i think it would've been better to make that more explicit rather than actually letting the player win and then just forcing them to jump down the pit on their own anyway.

if you'd like my opinion on the episode itself:
while it was far from a waste of time, i do believe it was rather rough around the edges. i think the long development time shows here as the episode feels like it's having an identity crisis. the romp levels that just kinda go by are usually fine and fairly inoffensive, but sometimes there's just some really questionable design choices which feel like they clash with just about everything else in the episode? the world 1 and world 5 castles feel this way especially , just having random warp maze segments thrown in which contribute very little to anything other than minor tedium from having to repeat part of the level cause "oh lol you guessed the wrong door!!! haha"

i feel the episode is at it's best when it's not trying too hard. the mirror fortress level and world 7's castle were hands-down my favorites. they had normal and rational, but still somewhat challenging setups, while the former had puzzles that you could actually intuit. and still the conception behind those was very very simple, so i think if you shifted your focus more to levels like that, you could potentially make something really cool.

the secrets range from quirky to weirdly obtuse. my advice is that if you have a secret which is on it's own kinda arbitrary and is then completely trivialized by a hint, you should probably just redo the whole thing. i can tell you that i would've never found the secret inside the goo house level because the hole you're supposed to swim into looks identical to all the other ones and is also not the only hole on a corner. but on the flipside having a toad straight up tell me about it isn't very fun either and i didn't feel like i'd been rewarded for anything.

the bowser fights were cool, though i preferred the one in world 7 to the other two. the koopaling bosses were a bit forgettable and the world 5 boss was so-and-so.

overall as it stands this one isn't that great, but i think that with more focus and polish you're capable of making something that is. good luck with that sequel you mentioned ^^

(also as a funny side note: smbx 1.3 doesn't support txt files for anything other than npcs, but smbx2 does. since some of the bgo text files in world 6 have malformed syntax, it leads to graphical bugs when playing on smbx2 that wouldn't be there in 1.3 as that feature didn't exist yet. good job on the precognition)

Bryan_Blackner
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Bryan_Blackner » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:56 pm

I need help finding the secret exit in Moving Platforms

iForgot
Bit
Bit

Postby iForgot » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:35 pm

Thanks for your input! I can see where you're coming from on some of the level designs. I am glad that you enjoyed playing.
Yes, the Bowser fight directly after world 7 is supposed to be unwinnable. The ground will actually fully disappear before you are able to completely defeat Bowser. I made it this way with the intention of giving players the idea that they had completely failed, before giving them a new hope at the end of the "fake cutscene."
You did play the final airship and the final fight, right? Like, you didn't quit the game after you fall into the pit?

As for the secret exit in Moving Platforms,
If you swim underneath the pyramid, beneath the ground tiles, it should lead you to the secret exit. Thanks for playing it!

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:51 pm

iForgot wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:35 pm
Thanks for your input! I can see where you're coming from on some of the level designs. I am glad that you enjoyed playing.
Yes, the Bowser fight directly after world 7 is supposed to be unwinnable. The ground will actually fully disappear before you are able to completely defeat Bowser. I made it this way with the intention of giving players the idea that they had completely failed, before giving them a new hope at the end of the "fake cutscene."
You did play the final airship and the final fight, right? Like, you didn't quit the game after you fall into the pit?
yea, as i said i got to the little ghost house on the map that leads to the custom credits, it's just that i preferred the fake fight in world 7 to the actual fight that comes after. thank you for taking my feedback into account :)

Bryan_Blackner
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Bryan_Blackner » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:15 pm

iForgot wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:35 pm

As for the secret exit in Moving Platforms,
If you swim underneath the pyramid, beneath the ground tiles, it should lead you to the secret exit. Thanks for playing it!
thank you so much

Bryan_Blackner
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Bryan_Blackner » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:58 pm

I need help finding the secret exit in Radiation

iForgot
Bit
Bit

Postby iForgot » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:48 pm

Bryan_Blackner wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:58 pm
I need help finding the secret exit in Radiation
After you turn into Luigi, when the ground falls, walk into the fallen ground going left, there should be some tiles below the screen and a pipe at the end of the tunnel.

Ryuji231
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Ryuji231 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:02 pm

Good episode, sad ending, it does make way for a possible sequel.

iForgot
Bit
Bit

Postby iForgot » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:31 pm

Ryuji231 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:02 pm
Good episode, sad ending, it does make way for a possible sequel.
Thank you for your feedback!

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Postby tangy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:42 am

jumpy jungle: show
Some indication that the screen wraps here would be nice. I assumed it would scroll right and that I had to make an impossible jump, and bashed my head against this screen for like five lives before accidentally firing a fireball to the left. Maybe something like a koopa on the bottom row?
w1 mushroom house: show
This point on the overworld does not lead to a level
castle: show
You resprited Larry, npc-267, but not his shell, npc-268
Also i giggled at the name Knubby
TL;DR , can i make a high effort shitpost using your episode as a base ? the potential is there

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Postby tangy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:49 am

I've been enjoying myself so far. It's unpolished and quite possibly incomplete, but I think polishing it would detract a bit? It's good

iForgot
Bit
Bit

Postby iForgot » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:13 pm

tangeruse wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:42 am
TL;DR , can i make a high effort shitpost using your episode as a base ? the potential is there
Go for it. I’m not sure what you mean but you have my approval. And thank you for the feedback. I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself.

I was made aware of the weird ghost house bug…and I thought I fixed it…I guess not. Oh well.

Sandomer
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Sandomer » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:31 pm

episode is actually good but how did you made da checkpoints reset after losing all lifes (when i tried it the checkpoints didn't even reset)

Added in 34 minutes 25 seconds:
this episode is very good but the 6th map is bugged

Sandomer
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Sandomer » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:27 pm

this map is impossible because i can't do anything in 7th map castle level

iForgot
Bit
Bit

Postby iForgot » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:58 am

yoorest2 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:27 pm
this map is impossible because i can't do anything in 7th map castle level

You can jump on the fireballs and grab them. The boss is essentially a retextured Birdo.

I’m not sure about the 6th word being bugged. I’ve never ran into any problems like that.

Return to “Episodes”