Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: SMBX2 NPC Pack Head-To-Head #1 - RESULTS

Postby Emral » Sat May 07, 2022 7:11 pm

deice wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 7:06 pm
im shaking cause i've read the npc list and the results like 4 times and for the life of me i cannot figure out what "bully" is referring to as smbx has had one since 1.3
It seems some of the text i wrote for the spoiler tags got undone at some point / never existed? I distinctly remember writing it, though.
Fishbone is viewtopic.php?f=101&t=24022
Bully is this guy from viewtopic.php?f=101&t=25011

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sat May 07, 2022 7:30 pm

About MDA's Bully, will that mean the old 1.3 Bully would be deprecated?

55jedat555
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: flare

Postby 55jedat555 » Sun May 08, 2022 6:04 am

FutureNyanCat2014 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 7:30 pm
About MDA's Bully, will that mean the old 1.3 Bully would be deprecated?
They're pretty much nothing alike in terms of fundamental functionality, so I don't see how it would make sense to deprecate the legacy one.

IAmPlayer
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: I'm a hellspawn.
Pronouns: he/him

Postby IAmPlayer » Sat May 14, 2022 2:50 pm

I was about to say something way earlier, but I forgot so here it is now, I'm gonna try fixing my NPCs that got in as a base for the SMBX2 devs to use for actually implementing it into the game.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat May 14, 2022 3:33 pm

IAmPlayer wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 2:50 pm
I was about to say something way earlier, but I forgot so here it is now, I'm gonna try fixing my NPCs that got in as a base for the SMBX2 devs to use for actually implementing it into the game.
Thanks! I'll also give them a pass afterwards for edge cases and let you know if I do any mechanics changes (for example, the Bully NPC got a lot more configuration options). Just send me a PM when you're done making your adjustments and we can go from there.

Roadconian
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: I am very krazy
Pronouns:

Postby Roadconian » Sat May 28, 2022 8:21 pm

very cool

CrimsonStar
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby CrimsonStar » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:09 pm

I know that the first Head-to-Head just ended, but I wanted to throw out some suggestions for the next round. I want to see more choices for each category.

I tried to find a wide variety of npcs with unique attributes made by a wide variety of creators. Naturally some creators are featured more, simply do to the fact that they’ve released more content.

XL Category

Sonic Monitors (by MrDoubleA)
These 9 Monitors have given Sonic a boost for years. Now it’s Mario’s turn!
Their shields and speed-boost will add a new dynamic to the powerup scene.

Extended Koopas (by MrDoubleA)
By far the biggest pack, this would add a whole new set of Koopas independent of the originals. These versions will pop out of their shell shortly after being hit like the Mario days of old. Buzzy Beetles and Spinies would not be included in this pack (unless the devs really wanted it massive).

Skipsqueak Family (by SpoonyBardOL)
They jump when you jump and there’s a whole rat-pack of them. This would bring another SMM npc into the fold including large, spiked, and winged versions.

The Chuck Pack (by MegaDood)
More sports for Chucks to play! Tennis, golf, cycling, and even chess? Since there are only 6 in the initial pack, why don’t we also throw in the infamous Battin’ Chuck by MrDoubleA, too.

Helmets (by MrDoubleA)
Protect your head while sporting 7 utility headwear in style. These helmets range from the simple Shelmet to a Peach-on-steroids Bullet Helmet to a literal Cannon on your face.

Playable YI Yoshi (by MrDoubleA)
Make eggs, throw eggs. Yet another of MDA’s creations, this playable Yoshi could either replace a current character or become a brand new entity depending on what the devs had in store for any revamps. Would come with three Egg Blocks, three types of throwable Eggs, three Melons, and Winged Clouds.

L Category – This had so many choices to choose from, but was a little small last time.

Tryclyde (by Core)
The last of the SMB2 end-of-world bosses to be added to SMBX’s base game. Three heads and countless fireballs mean you need to build that Mushroom Block wall fast.

Big Boo (by MrDoubleA)
A staple of many romhacks, this Big Boo can be customized with how far it can roam and also can spit out minions when hit.

SMW Morton Koopa (by Murphmario)
Who thought a sneak attack from the ceiling could be so fun?

SMW Iggy Koopa (by Murphmario)
See if you can knock this guy around without taking one of his fireballs to the face. Would work in excellent conjunction with a Seesaw platform.

Hawkmouth (by Core)
Both a boss and a warp in one! A new Crystal Ball trigger would likely have to be added as not to despawn any npc used to defeat the boss.

Mario Forever Bowser (by 9thCore)
Having another customizable SMB1 Bowser fight is never a bad thing. With this boss, you can control fire-spitting delay, hammer-throwing delay, health (with hp displayed), and numerous defeat settings.

Kracko Jr (by WhimWidget)
Kirby’s nemesis can now be Mario’s. From diving strikes to bombing runs, this boss has such a wide array of attacks that it could make your head spin. Extremely versatile and can even make a varied hazard for an entire level.

Red Birdo (by Core)
These would give a second Birdo version that has a faster (and occasionally hotter) attack pattern.

M Category – 2 to 5 npcs per group (not counting projectiles)

SMM Key Coins (by MrDoubleA)
Contains two sets of coins that, when all of either color is collected, spawn a key that follows you around, unlocking the first door, key wall, or keyhole exit you run in to. The key can also be placed by itself or in the pockets of an npc to be revealed when that npc is destroyed.

Ring Burners (by Enjl)
Blasts an ever-expanding ring of fire. A hot commodity!

Seesaws (by MrDoubleA)
These teeter-tottering platforms provide an interesting obstacle. They can be weighted or self-rotating. Their size and pivot-point can even be customized.

Elite Koopa Troopas (by 8lueStorm)
Ever think that the basic Koopa Troopa is too easy? Then these guys will provide the challenge for you. They can jump around, throw fire, and even throw their own shell. These three-hit wonders make a good mini-boss.

Bumpties (by RudeGuy)
If you like being bounced around, these penguins are for you. There can serve as a springy help or hindrance.

Climbing Koopas (by Lithobraker)
These Koopas are often found in SMW castles and climb the various fences within. They move either vertical or horizontal, fast or slow.

YI Spiky Platforms (by Core)
These come in two colors and when the specific color of switch is hit, the color of platform flips with one side being spiky and the other safe.

DKC Neckys (by SetaYoshi)
These birds of a feather come in three forms. The standard Necky serves as an aerial obstacle whose flight pattern can be customized. The Nut-Throwing version tosses customizable patterns of dangerous projectiles. The Mini-Necky spits projectiles straight at you in a wide variety of patterns. Vulture culture at its finest.

Crazee Dayzees (by MegaDood)
These lackadaisical daisies wander aimlessly back and forth. Just beware the bubble-blowers, as popping them will knock you around.

One-Way Walls (by MrDoubleA)
Obviously these aren’t npcs, but this set of blocks provides an easy way to only allow one-way travel. Very useful for puzzle levels.

SMM Mechakoopas (by MrDoubleA)
These mechanical creations are armed with destructive explosives and lasers, unlike their standard counterparts. If stepped on, they will only be momentarily stunned and soon be back at it trying to detonate their payload on you.

Amazing Flying Hammer Bro (by 8lueStorm)
This swooping Hammer Bros’ platform is an obstacle found in countless romhacks. The rapid hammer tossing of the Bro itself can be quite a challenge, too.

S Category

Pile-Driver Micro Goomba (by GtW)
Do not disturb because getting too close will trigger them to leap forth to pound you into the dirt.

Winged Block (by Murphmario)
These make any block you can think of fly in various patterns. Just think of the crazy setups you could make with some of the special blocks.

Fishing Boo (by 8lueStorm)
This Boo is one of the most feared because of its erratic flight pattern. Try not to go down in flames.

Leever (by Murphmario)
Beware what lies beneath the sands. This Z2 surprise attack npcs have been the bane of many adventures.

Celeste Red Orb (by Core)
You’ll be bouncing off the walls with these. Once wrapped up inside the orb, you are fired off in whatever direction you’re holding your d-pad in, until crashing into a wall bursts your bubble.

Lectern (by SetaYoshi)
We’ve had the same vanilla text boxes for 13 years, it’s time for a little change. Read messages without the need to pause the action.

Balance Platform (by Core)
An SMB1 staple, these classic platforms make for some interesting weighted setups.

Laser Bowser Statue (by MegaDood)
Fires a laser when crossing the diagonal threshold from its mouth. Can also have a laser pointer show where it will trigger its attack.

DKC Army (by MegaDood)
Be quick in defeating this one after you knock it out of its roll or it will curl back up in an attempt to steamroll you again.

Fake Frozen Block (by Mechdragon777)
Freeze these blocks with iceballs to use as platforms. Luckily if their solid state is destroyed, you can easily refreeze them.

Clambo (by Lusho)
Another DKC classic, their various pearl projectile shots are one of the only jewels you don’t want to try to collect.

Magikoopa Sorcerer (by Enjl)
Even enemies want protection sometimes. These magicians will protect another npc with a shield until they are defeated.

Cooligan (by MegaDood)
These sunglass-wearing penguins slide attack until one bump knocks their shades off and slows them down considerably. They can easily be bowled over by another Cooligan in their slow-moving state.

Silver P-Switch (by WhimWidget)
Stepping on this switch turns most enemies on the screen into silver coins for a short time, allowing you to collect them to defeat them. Lakitus are one of the unaffected and throw a quarry of silver coins until the effect ends.

Convenient Firebars (by 1AmPlayer)
Don’t you hate placing SMBX Firebars? Feel limited by placing them either out the top or bottom of their primary position? Well these are much more convenient, allowing you to easily customize length, starting angle, amount of bars per block, and even speed.

Boost Block (by AndrewPixel)
Once again not so much an npc as it is a block, this gives you a temporary burst of speed. Gotta go fast!

Water Currents (by 9thCore)
Tired of being pushed around? Too bad because it’ll push you around underwater. Good to replicate the sucking effect of SMB1 water pits.

Woollet Bill (by cold soup)
These highly customizable Bullet Bills leave a path of cloud platforms behind them. Their speed and the platform’s dissipation time can be changed to suit your needs.

Angry Sun (by 1AmPlayer)
You know you’re in for trouble when the very sun gets mad at you. Every few seconds it will swoop down at you from the top corner of the screen.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:00 am

Hey! Thanks for the suggestions.
I did go through the entire lunalua forum and specificially selected the things we voted on, so I'm aware of a lot of things that would be cool but were left out.
Since it was the first time we were doing some of this, for example, I wanted to limit the scope of it all a bit.
For example, the Yoshi playable is a fantastic custom element, but it is not an NPC, and it's SUPER XXL considering we still have to make a better playable framework in basegame.
A lot of the other things listed add new player states (helmets, shields, celeste orb, boost block), new HUD states (smm keys), new collision edge cases (see-saws, one way walls, winged blocks), very specific interactions that don't lend themselves to a lot of basegame interactions (magikoopa sorcerer), are very complicated (kracko jr) have weird graphical quirks (triclyde, fence koopas, ring burner), or are generally universally disliked (fishing boo, elite koopas), so I excluded them from this vote.
I do very much like a lot of the things listed, though, and you'll find them returning in the future.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:21 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:00 am
are generally universally disliked (fishing boo
look at what you've done you sicko, you made him cry

CrimsonStar
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby CrimsonStar » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:34 am

Enjl wrote:
For example, the Yoshi playable is a fantastic custom element, but it is not an NPC, and it's SUPER XXL considering we still have to make a better playable framework in basegame.
Ok. So as you could probably guess from it being at the very end, I did slap that on last minute to make the category bigger. A Yoshi playable would probably dominate that category. It's best left off, I agree now.
Enjl wrote:
A lot of the other things listed add new player states (helmets, shields, celeste orb, boost block), new HUD states (smm keys), new collision edge cases (see-saws, one way walls, winged blocks), very specific interactions that don't lend themselves to a lot of basegame interactions (magikoopa sorcerer), are very complicated (kracko jr) have weird graphical quirks (triclyde, fence koopas, ring burner)
I had no idea that each of those would affect the game in such a way. In this case, it's actually cooler to hear why things AREN'T selected!
Enjl wrote:
or are generally universally disliked (fishing boo, elite koopas), so I excluded them from this vote.
I guess it's a love/hate relationship with the Fishin' Boo and Elite Koopas. I personally like them, but that's too bad the majority don't.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look. Can't wait to see what's next for X2 content!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:05 pm

MrDoubleA and I just finished adding the results to the game:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2143263124
As a result of this vote, we have added 92 new NPCs. That's a MUCH larger amount than I thought we'd get from the lineup, but it was also a great way to show that indeed, perhaps next time the number of winners should be reduced a little. Add 20 plants, 10 cannons, 4 spikes and their respective balls, and synced switch variants of rotating platforms and you get to high numbers pretty quickly, as it turns out! Not to mention individual NPCs that took their fair share of time as well, such as the ever-complex Chain Chomp which MrDoubleA worked tirelessly on for several weeks to get it in (COUNTLESS thanks to him for helping me out).

Additionally, some other ideas came forth while developing the NPCs in the pack. As a result, 34 new blocks including Synced Switch Slopes (say that thrice very fast) and a lot of SMB3 airship blocks are now being added to basegame. As well as 61 new BGOs including broken-down versions of the SMW Ghost House and SMB1 castle BGOs for more aesthetic variety in vanilla levels.

Some more improvements to pre-existing elements were made as well, including more flexibility for Dino Torches, a new NPC interaction system for Thwomps (and Icicles) that makes hooking into their behaviour easier from user code, improvements to the movement logic of Wigglers and an assortment of minor bug fixes, such as Snake Blocks no longer moving while the player takes damage (reversible via NPC config).

All in all, the big lessons learned are:
- This is super fun a concept not just for creating new basegame things to add in, but also to inspire improvements in other areas
- The scope was a BIT too high and should be reduced to put less pressure onto the handful of people having to spend weeks porting all the things
- Y'all should continue making awesome stuff!

Thanks for participating!
There is no ETA on the next release yet, unfortunately, but I hope you're looking forward to it nontheless with all these things on the horizon.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:41 am

Enjl wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:05 pm
There is no ETA on the next release yet
just host another maglx so i can submit a level that forces the update to be pushed early again

Roadconian
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Pronouns:

Postby Roadconian » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:49 am

deice wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:41 am
Enjl wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:05 pm
There is no ETA on the next release yet
just host another maglx so i can submit a level that forces the update to be pushed early again
i'm not sure if that's how it works

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:00 pm

Veudeikouq wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:49 am
it was a joke based on the fact that hotfix 1 was released slightly earlier than originally planned due to my maglx3 submission

Roadconian
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Pronouns:

Postby Roadconian » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:31 pm

deice wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:00 pm
Veudeikouq wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:49 am
it was a joke based on the fact that hotfix 1 was released slightly earlier than originally planned due to my maglx3 submission
ah, i see

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game
Pronouns: he/him

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:22 pm

I’d love to join in for the next Head-To-Head! When is it going to happen?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:20 am

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:22 pm
I select packs that are voted on. If you would like to join, I recommend releasing asset packs for SMBX2 before the next one begins. The timing of the next one is so far undecided.

Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: English Speaking Spanish Speaker
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Mal8rk » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:43 am

Emral wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:20 am
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
I select packs that are voted on. If you would like to join, I recommend releasing asset packs for SMBX2 before the next one begins. The timing of the next one is so far undecided.
Any npc pack can get in?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:38 pm

Mal8rk wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:43 am
Emral wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:20 am
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Any npc pack can get in?
Any asset that doesn't open a can of worms for a basegame implementation (smm key coin and their ui, triclyde and the segmented head sprites) may be considered

DisasterMaster
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby DisasterMaster » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:09 pm

Emral wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:38 pm
Any asset that doesn't open a can of worms for a basegame implementation (smm key coin and their ui, triclyde and the segmented head sprites) may be considered
Any asset? Does that mean you're considering NPCs that are part of a released level/episode, but not publicly released to the LunaLua forum (with permission from the creator of course)?

Return to “Contests and Events”