Flair: Phoenix

SMBX2 NPC Pack Head-To-Head #1 - RESULTS

Postby Emral » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:09 pm

RESULTS

The results are in! The following NPCs have been selected for inclusion:

XXL Category: SMM Cannons
L Category: Clawgrip
M Category: Icicle, Burners, Swinging Platforms & Chain Chomp
S Category: Fire Chomp, Boss Bass, Number Platform, Homing Fishbone, Bully & Twister

For a more detailed view on the results, please refer to the attached spreadsheet I used to run preferential voting. Interestingly, the results are the same regardless of whether or not preferential voting is applied! I think that speaks to a set of strong winners.

Thanks all for participating and I hope you look forward to seeing these new NPCs in the next SMBX2 version!

Old Post: show
Vote for the next NPCs to be added to SMBX2!

VOTE VOTE VOTE

HOW TO VOTE:
- Vote for your most favourite NPC(s) from each category to make it into the game. This form uses a Ranked Voting method, where you vote for your favourite choices, but if those get eliminated, your next-favourite choices obtain the vote.
- You may only vote on this form once, and you may not cast a vote for someone else. Fraudulent votes will be removed.

The top voted choices will be augmented and added into the next SMBX2 update. If the original creator is against the inclusion of their work, the next-favourite selection will be chosen. If you ARE someone whose work is on this list and who is against the inclusion, please contact me and I will make sure to exclude it.

Voted-on elements may be augmented in some capacity/not 100% represent the way they're on the forums right now. Those are marked in the spoilers below.

Do keep in mind that even if your favourite packs might not win or be included here, they can return/be voted on next time a Head-To-Head is held.

VOTING ENDS ON SATURDAY, MAY 7TH AT 11:00PM BERLIN TIME

In addition to this, a few packs have been automatically chosen to be included. These being MrDoubleA's new plants (XXL) and MrDoubleA's SMM Spike (M). Wahey!
XXL Packs: show
The XXL Section contains large-scale packs, warranting of their own tileset itemboxes in the editor (similar to "Chucks" in SMW). Of these, ONE will be selected for inclusion, so cast your vote wisely.

YI - Shy Guys by MegaDood - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27312
A slightly stripped-down version of the available pack with 2 colours of Shy Guy, Stilt Guy, Toober Guy, Woozy Guy, Fly Guy, as well as 1 Lantern Ghost. A great value pack for plenty of situations.

SMB3 - Airship Cannons by Lusho - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=26593
Homing, rotating and stationary cannon NPCs for upping your airship and tank artillery to the next level. The cannons will be split up into more NPCs to make them easy to configure.

YI - Goonies by GtW - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=25844
Like birds? Here's a set of birds! There are skeletal, wingless, wingless-skeletal and obese variants for everyone to enjoy.
L Packs: show
The L-Section is reserved for the big bads, the baddest of them all - bosses! As fun as Boom Boom is to fight, everyone yearns for a little Birdo from time to time, no? Like with XXL packs, only one of these makes it in. But that's mostly because there aren't many I could find.

SMB2 - Clawgrip by Core - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27266
Like his cohorts, this carcinized crusader can be used both as a big baddie to cap of a level, or as a hazard to overcome within a stage.

SMB3 - Wendy by Core - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27266
I mean, at some point we GOTTA get some more Koopalings in here, right?
M Packs: show
The M-Section includes most of what you would consider an NPC pack to be. Basically any NPC that's slightly above minimal effort to add.

SMM - Icicle by 1AmPlayer - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=24994
Three ceiling-dwellers that can trigger blocks beneath. One never falls, one doesn't break.

SMM - Burners by 1AmPlayer - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=24994
Fire from the ground! Includes the step-activated variant as well.

SMW - Urchins by Enjl (& Core) - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=24260
Contains slow and fast versions. Slight alterations may be made when I compare to Core's Urchin script to make the included variant the best of both worlds. Appropriate credit to Core will be given as well.

SMW - Swinging Platforms by MrDoubleA - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=25011
Rotating, weighted and pendulum platforms to augment your athletic levels!

SMB3 - Chest by Core - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27266
A simple set of containers to hide things in (useful for Toad Houses!). May differ from the available version in appearance, as it will using the SMB3 chest sprites.

SMB3 - Chain Chomps by MrDoubleA - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=25011
Includes the chained and chainless variants.

NSMB - Skeeter by AndrewPixel - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=26412
A water-surface-skeeting NPC to add variety to water and beach levels. Will include a variant that acts more like the SM64 version.

SMB3 - Bombshell Koopa by Seta - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=25234
Unlike the SML Bombshell Koopa, this one can be kicked! Will include a fragile version that explodes when the shell hits a wall.

Z2 - Handy Torch by Seta - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=25234
A puzzle-oriented NPC that can be lit/extinguished in order to activate events.
S Packs: show
The S-Section includes small additions. Singular NPCs. They're not much, but they can be powerful. Do not underestimate them.

SMB3 - Fire Chomp by GtW - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=25844
An airborne adversary that haunts you! Until it explodes.

SMB3 - Boss Bass by Murphmario - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27126
A bit of a "Fire Chomp of the Sea". A foe that just swallows you whole if you're not careful.

Original - Flurret by Enjl - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=24440
A stationary turret that frequently shoots projectiles that can be jumped on.

YI - Baron von Zeppelin by GtW - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=25844
A flying foe, eager to drop bombs or other enemies on your head!

YI - Number Platform by MrDoubleA - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=25011
A simple platform that can only be stood on a certain number of times. Compatible with isheavy NPCs.

SMB3 - Pipe Muncher by GtW - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=25844
This Piranha Plant-adjacent NPC will move in and out of pipes. Their phase is set by direction.

SMM - Grinder by Enjl - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=24023
A large, slow Grinder that cannot be spinjumped on. Yoshi or a boot is needed to stay safe. Stationary if not on a lineguide.

SMW - Falling Spike by Enjl - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=24261
This ceiling-dweller sets itself apart from the others by falling through blocks, making it hazardous in a unique way.

SMM - Twister by Core - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27266
This airy brother just loves displacing things!

SMB2 - Autobomb by Core - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27266
A moving turret that can be stood on. Dangerous!

SMB2 - Ostro by Core - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27266
A moving horse that can be stood on. Useful!

SM - Skree by AutumnMood - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27734
A ceiling-dweller which slightly homes in on the player when it swoops down. Can be harder to avoid than similar featured NPCs! Also, Metroid representation? :o

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: SMBX2 NPC Pack Head-To-Head #1

Postby ShadowXeldron » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:14 pm

This is possibly the most brutal decision I've had to make all month.

MinerLG
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: child

Postby MinerLG » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:48 pm

Oh no… OHH NOO… THERE’S SO MANY GOOD ONES…
* Oh wait you can choose multiple… ok.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:01 pm

MinerLG wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:48 pm
Oh no… OHH NOO… THERE’S SO MANY GOOD ONES…
* Oh wait you can choose multiple… ok.
It's not multiple choice.
It's preferential voting.

ULT_Unknowns
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: Joined in 2015, returned in 2021.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby ULT_Unknowns » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:54 pm

Never have I ever been presented with such hard & brutal choices...

Sux
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Sux » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:57 pm

Is there a possibility of this new update will be released before the deadline of vanilla contest?

ElTipsta
Lakitu
Lakitu
Pronouns: she/her

Postby ElTipsta » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:10 pm

i really like this poll idea for including user created NPCs for the next build.

That said, I do think only having 1 from M and S is a bit too little especially given how many good (and arguably essential) NPCs there are in the list. Maybe include the top 3?

Ibaka
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Nothing

Postby Ibaka » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:08 pm

Sux wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:57 pm
Is there a possibility of this new update will be released before the deadline of vanilla contest?
Not likely

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:01 pm

Sux wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:57 pm
Nope.

Added in 56 seconds:
ElTipsta wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:10 pm
i really like this poll idea for including user created NPCs for the next build.

That said, I do think only having 1 from M and S is a bit too little especially given how many good (and arguably essential) NPCs there are in the list. Maybe include the top 3?
It says on the voting form that the top 4 from M and the top 6 from S are chosen. Totally agree that choosing just one would be too little :D

DisasterMaster
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby DisasterMaster » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:39 pm

First and foremost, grats to MDA for getting his Plants and Spikes into the basegame. The Plants have been on the roadmap forever and I'm looking forward to having their countless customization options as a vanilla asset.

But speaking of roadmapped NPCs...
Enjl wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:09 pm
Homing, rotating and stationary cannon NPCs for upping your airship and tank artillery to the next level. The cannons will be split up into more NPCs to make them easy to configure.
Airship Cannons and their Cannonballs are already roadmapped to 541-544 (with big versions from 545-548). Wouldn't Lusho's Cannons cover those, with infinitely more customization (angle, firing rate, firing speed, volley amount, ect.) even if broken up into 3 separate NPCs? I feel that if Cannons are already slated to be added, Lusho's should just be ported in and not be redundantly voted on.

Other than that food for thought, this is an awesome idea and I'm just hoping my favorite standard and boss NPCs (both of which are on the list) make the cut!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:30 am

DisasterMaster wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:39 pm
But speaking of roadmapped NPCs...
Enjl wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:09 pm
Airship Cannons and their Cannonballs are already roadmapped to 541-544 (with big versions from 545-548). Wouldn't Lusho's Cannons cover those, with infinitely more customization (angle, firing rate, firing speed, volley amount, ect.) even if broken up into 3 separate NPCs? I feel that if Cannons are already slated to be added, Lusho's should just be ported in and not be redundantly voted on.
Solid reasoning, but not one which I follow for this. It's a bit of a slippery-slope as you could also reason that some other things like MDA's sonic monitors should win by default, when they're something I've intentionally left out of this first head-to-head. The key bottleneck here is the time I have to implement all these things, and if we didn't vote on cannons we'd be voting on the plants instead. Not all holes in the progress sheet need to be filled immediately, but I agree they're all things that'd be good to get to eventually.

Uranus
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: just cool

Postby Uranus » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:37 am

Some really close decisions. but these would all be great additions

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:56 am

Those selections are really hard to choice, but I'll try.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:41 pm

YI Number Platform supremecy

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Postby tangy » Tue May 03, 2022 1:14 pm

new goodies for micro levels 2? color me interested

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: How much munchers?

Postby MrDoubleA » Tue May 03, 2022 4:34 pm

Is there any date on when the voting will end?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Tue May 03, 2022 4:59 pm

MrDoubleA wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:34 pm
Is there any date on when the voting will end?
I said I'd announce it 3 days before, because I hadn't made a decision at the time yet. However, we have a REALLY strong set of responses already, so I'm just gonna decide now.

VOTING ENDS ON SATURDAY, MAY 7TH AT 11:00PM BERLIN TIME

You can expect an announcement of the winners at some time on Sunday.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Wed May 04, 2022 1:54 pm

Thanks a ton for reaching out to the community for this. It's super exciting!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat May 07, 2022 5:01 pm

The form is now closed! Thanks all for voting. There are a total of 107 responses, if you were curious about that. I'll announce the results as soon as I'm done figuring out who won.

Added in 40 minutes 28 seconds:
Re: SMBX2 NPC Pack Head-To-Head #1 - RESULTS

RESULTS

The results are in! The following NPCs have been selected for inclusion:

XXL Category: SMM Cannons
L Category: Clawgrip
M Category: Icicle, Burners, Swinging Platforms & Chain Chomp
S Category: Fire Chomp, Boss Bass, Number Platform, Homing Fishbone, Bully & Twister

For a more detailed view on the results, please refer to the attached spreadsheet I used to run preferential voting. Interestingly, the results are the same regardless of whether or not preferential voting is applied! I think that speaks to a set of strong winners.

Thanks all for participating and I hope you look forward to seeing these new NPCs in the next SMBX2 version!

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: SMBX2 NPC Pack Head-To-Head #1 - RESULTS

Postby deice » Sat May 07, 2022 7:06 pm

im shaking cause i've read the npc list and the results like 4 times and for the life of me i cannot figure out what "bully" is referring to as smbx has had one since 1.3

Return to “Contests and Events”