Super Mario and The Lost Eggs (Full Game Release)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Blake Izayoi
Flair: Sakuya's Husband
Pronouns: He / Him

Re: Super Mario and The Lost Eggs (Full Game Release)

Postby Blake Izayoi » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:00 pm

FutureNyanCat2014 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:32 am
For future reference I suggest also uploading your episode to another service like MEGA, since MediaFire is very notorious for having slow download speeds nowadays.
MEGA is a big yikes, way worse than MediaFire, simply due to the daily download limit MEGA has.
Google Drive is always 100% the way to go.

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Postby tangy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:46 pm

Cognition wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:40 am

I believe there was an entire recreation of Super Mario Bros 3 on this platform that was received very well in the community if I’m not mistaken. I didn’t see how, yes, taking level props and assets to bring nostalgia of Super Mario World to it’s fans was a problem. I felt that including it was somewhat of a love letter to the original game and to Nintendo. Along with flaring up the graphics and including new one. Sorry if the episode isn’t your cup of tea. I worked very hard on it and will keep these things in mind for the next one I work on.
Part of it is that I didn't read the OP (my mistake) and made assumptions that turned out not to be true.

But the other part is the levels that AREN'T remakes. And those levels are just kind of there? They aren't very memorable at all to be honest. If I'm making a mix of original content and remade content, I'd definitely want to make sure my original content stood above the remade stuff. or was otherwise a shining example of my work. or at least stood out in a meaningful way. And I don't really see that here

I will say that it's very polished and graphically pretty. But it's a typical SMBX pratfall to use immaculate polish and beautiful graphics as a crutch for underwhelming level design.

UPDATE:
Secret exit: show
Is it intentional that the secret exit in carrot tops is a completely hidden vertical pipe btw?
Last edited by tangy on Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cognition
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Cognition » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:58 am

Okay. I base, draw inspiration and stylize my levels off of Nintendo and their 2d Mario games.
Also yes, there is a vine that leads you to it so I kept the pipe a secret from view.

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Postby tangy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:57 am

Larry's castle is ridiculously hard. It's a huge difficulty spike - I was kind of blindsided because of how easy the rest of the game has been up to this point. Please try to tone it down. The snake block is janky, there's no checkpoints, and you have to wait quite a long time once you fall off. And I fell off a LOT because the snake changing directions is Always a surprise.

I suggest replacing the snake with a regular platform and track. Or just completely replacing the level entirely.

UPDATE: That level stole thirty minutes of my life. I want it back

UPDATE 2: The third section of Magma Dig doesn't have any music

UPDATE 3: Skull Raft Ride doesn't have a path down that leads to Shadowed Subterranean

UPDATE 4: Wooden Block Land doesn't have any music

MarioStar
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: 26
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby MarioStar » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:35 pm

Wow, your project is great! It looks like Super Mario World. Congratulations, man! :D

Return to “Episodes”