How to reset SaveData codes in levels?

Post here for help and support regarding LunaLua and SMBX2's libraries and features.
Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: English Speaking Spanish Speaker
Pronouns: He/Him

How to reset SaveData codes in levels?

Postby Mal8rk » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:54 pm

The title says it all

But I'm making a level with a SaveData code, but whenever I play the level and beat it, now I have no way to reset the code

so how can I reset it?

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: How to reset SaveData codes in levels?

Postby deice » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:29 am

could you be a bit more specific? it's hard to tell whether you want to reset the custom values you've placed inside savedata to their default ones, if you're trying to wipe savedata during play (this can be done by typing "SaveData.clear()" without the quotation marks into the console iirc), or if you're trying to clear progress that was saved during test play (deleting "save0-ext.dat" from the episode folder should take care of this).

Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Mal8rk » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:32 am

deice wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:29 am
could you be a bit more specific? it's hard to tell whether you want to reset the custom values you've placed inside savedata to their default ones, if you're trying to wipe savedata during play (this can be done by typing "SaveData.clear()" without the quotation marks into the console iirc), or if you're trying to clear progress that was saved during test play (deleting "save0-ext.dat" from the episode folder should take care of this).
Yeah, I guess I should've been more specific

I was trying to clear saveData values during play, but thanks for the help

Also, is the console iirc the level's lua file, or is it something else?

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:59 am

POPME wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:32 am

the console can be opened in the tester by pressing tab (iirc stands for "if i recall correctly"). type the statement into it and press enter to execute. if anything breaks after you clear savedata (some scripts don't perform nil checks), closing and reopening the tester should fix the issue.

Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Mal8rk » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:59 pm

deice wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:59 am
POPME wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:32 am

the console can be opened in the tester by pressing tab (iirc stands for "if i recall correctly"). type the statement into it and press enter to execute. if anything breaks after you clear savedata (some scripts don't perform nil checks), closing and reopening the tester should fix the issue.
Well, I pressed tab on the level editor but nothing happened

is there a way to open this without tab?

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:02 pm

POPME wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:59 pm
Well, I pressed tab on the level editor but nothing happened

is there a way to open this without tab?
i said "tester" not "editor" i.e. you're meant to press tab while playtesting the level.

Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Mal8rk » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:34 pm

Well I used SaveData.clear() in the console command, and absolutely nothing happened, unless I'm doing something wrong...

Here's my code, tell me if there's something I should change to make this work:

Code: Select all

function onStart()
	SaveData["Bowser's Castle of Doom.lvlx"] = SaveData["Bowser's Castle of Doom.lvlx"] or {}
	if(SaveData["Bowser's Castle of Doom.lvlx"].cleared == nil) then
		SaveData["Bowser's Castle of Doom.lvlx"].cleared = true
		triggerEvent("level starts")
	else
		if(SaveData.gameCleared == nil) then
			triggerEvent("level cleared")
		end
	end
end

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:56 am

POPME wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:34 pm
Well I used SaveData.clear() in the console command, and absolutely nothing happened, unless I'm doing something wrong...

function onStart()
	SaveData["Bowser's Castle of Doom.lvlx"] = SaveData["Bowser's Castle of Doom.lvlx"] or {}
	else
		end
	end
end
clearing savedata at that point will have no effect because onStart() only triggers once at the very start of the level, obvioulsy before you get to type any console commands in. it seems you haven't quite accurately articulated what effect you actually want to achieve. i assume you want to set "SaveData["Bowser's Castle of Doom.lvlx"].cleared" to nil again? in that case, you have to either manually place some code that does that (anywhere will work, as long as it executes before the given level is loaded) or delete your save file for the episode.

Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Mal8rk » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:35 pm

deice wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:56 am
POPME wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:34 pm

function onStart()
	else
		end
	end
end
clearing savedata at that point will have no effect because onStart() only triggers once at the very start of the level, obvioulsy before you get to type any console commands in. it seems you haven't quite accurately articulated what effect you actually want to achieve. i assume you want to set "SaveData["Bowser's Castle of Doom.lvlx"].cleared" to nil again? in that case, you have to either manually place some code that does that (anywhere will work, as long as it executes before the given level is loaded) or delete your save file for the episode.
So let me see if I got it, I have to make a new line in my code where I set the SaveData values of my level to nil again

I'll have to make it like with npcs with "return npc"

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:35 pm

POPME wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:35 pm
So let me see if I got it, I have to make a new line in my code where I set the SaveData values of my level to nil again
if that's what you're trying to do, then yes.
POPME wrote:
i don't mean to come off as rude or anything, but it sort of seems like you're just putting code that you found somewhere into your level without actually understanding what it does. i highly recommend you take a step or two back and get a better grasp at lua fundamentals before trying to implement (what at the very least seems to be) some kind of progression system, as this statement above looks quite nonsensical to me in this context.

Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Mal8rk » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:21 pm

deice wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:35 pm
POPME wrote:
if that's what you're trying to do, then yes.
POPME wrote:
i don't mean to come off as rude or anything, but it sort of seems like you're just putting code that you found somewhere into your level without actually understanding what it does. i highly recommend you take a step or two back and get a better grasp at lua fundamentals before trying to implement (what at the very least seems to be) some kind of progression system, as this statement above looks quite nonsensical to me in this context.
Ya know what, you're right, I should take the time to understand the fundamentals of luna.lua without just telling people to teach me how to do it.

I'll make an effort to figure the solution to my problem

Update: Yeah, I'm a clear example of what happens when someone is desperate to find solutions without digging deeper

turns out the only thing I had to change was the "gameCleared" bit of the code shown bellow to simply "levelCleared"

if(SaveData.levelCleared == nil) then
Thanks for the suggestions, but after this, I'm done making questions in this forum, I'll start to be more independent since I'm actually learning quite a bit from external sources for lua

Return to “LunaLua Help”