SMBX Wiki

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: SMBX Wiki

Postby Emral » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:21 am

stuff like history and anything lua can already be found on the pge wiki

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:27 am

Joey wrote:Well, we really should use it to house documentation for SMBX (such as guides, LunaLua stuff, etc.), but beyond that I don't know. The original goal was for it to be a full wiki with information on users, SMBX history, and stuff like that, which clearly hasn't panned out.
TBH I prefer the original idea. Also, the PGE wiki already does some of the stuff in the new idea.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:25 pm

Those ideas aren't mutually exclusive; what i meant was that at the very least if we're going to have a wiki it should contain game-related information. The original idea was that it would contain that in addition to more information about SMBX's history.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:37 am

Some brainstorming on a Wiki structure:
  • Games
    • Gaming guide (characters, cheats etc.)
    • Version history
    • Famous Episodes
  • Level Designing
    • Basic tutorial on level designing
    • LunaLua guide
    • PGE guide
    • Custom Graphics index
  • Forums
    • Staff and active users
    • Contests
    • Mafia
    • Timeline
    • Other Events (Art Board etc.)
I'd be happy to contribute where I have knowledge. The wiki needs some love.

Reiuji Utsuho
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Time to make myself disappear

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:01 pm

I agree with Supershroom, it's really sad to see the wiki go unused and I'm also liking the structuring idea. If it ever comes up again I'd be more than happy to help work on it too.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Since the PGE Wiki has so many resources already, if anything I think it would make sense to merge with it

Bryan
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Bryan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:35 pm

PixelPest wrote:Since the PGE Wiki has so many resources already, if anything I think it would make sense to merge with it
When the wiki is finally opened again I'm sure people will mirror or copy that content over onto this wiki.

People like juicy and interesting content. If you just fill up the wiki with information on SMBX few people are going to bother with it, it's boring and after a while no one will pay attention to it at all. It has to have more than just content related to the game to catch people attention.

Reiuji Utsuho
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Time to make myself disappear

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:40 am

Bryan wrote:It has to have more than just content related to the game to catch people attention.
That depends on the person. I think the wiki has potential to be a great resource for those new/unfamiliar to have a place of reference to get info on whatever they want related to the game quickly. [Especially since there are different versions now, which I forgot to mention. That info would be very valuable.] Also, from what I recall the wiki has never contained content strictly about the game itself.

The last time it was open it had information on the game, pages for community members, pages for other SMBX-related communities [past and present], and pages for SMBX episodes or something like that if I'm correct. It was about the game, but detailed some of the history of both the game and the community to some extent.

Edit: The problem, from what I've seen and heard is there wasn't a great interest in people working and editing on it, not a lack of interest in viewing it, just to note. I think if there were a dedicated enough team that place really could work out well enough.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:
lighthouse64 wrote:
Dark Omega wrote:Dang it, Joey! Why did you have to take down the wiki?
Not that many people used it...
Besides, a bot flooded it!
...And was no backup created!
Another reason of SMBX Wiki death is died MySQL server's storage which was been restored with hard effort, but Wiki wasn't restored, therefore it's empty.
Bryan wrote:
PixelPest wrote:Since the PGE Wiki has so many resources already, if anything I think it would make sense to merge with it
When the wiki is finally opened again I'm sure people will mirror or copy that content over onto this wiki.

People like juicy and interesting content. If you just fill up the wiki with information on SMBX few people are going to bother with it, it's boring and after a while no one will pay attention to it at all. It has to have more than just content related to the game to catch people attention.
PGE Wiki originally created for technical thematic and just to have a flexible platform for documenting PGE Project components, making tutorials, documenting PGE Engine's Lua API, etc. And also LunaLua framework's API documentation is became to PGE Wiki too, and seems some articles are can be useful for both LunaLua and PGE Engine (because local level script API is planned to be semi-compatible with LunaLua and is no reason to copy-paste articles between PGE-Lua and LunaLua (except describing unique hardcoded PGE Engine's API features like) just mark PGE Engine-only and LunaLua-only functions). However, PGE-Wiki has off-topic articles (about SMBX and affiliated stuff). Just because previously are was reffers to SMBX Wiki, but now it is died and most of stuff is completed on PGE Wiki side.

Filling with information is not so fast: templates, typing, copy-pasting, etc. Even to do full clone of PGE Wiki's database, still a lot of stuff to edit inside to fit into SMBX.org's thematic.
Last edited by Wohlstand on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Well there is this

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:39 pm

King of Eterity wrote:Well there is this
Even Wikia is good and stable platform, but still has a bit trash (VERY non-thematic ads) which annoying or results a bad design. I like to read something on it, but reading it on phone is pain, because fat ads are slowing entire page a lot!
Myself I don't trust Wikia and preffer you would dedicate independent database for wiki and you will build the automatized daily backup of everything (for example, storing in the side private folder or dropping stuff into external server (like Google Drive), or by SFTP drop into home server built from any computer, or just configured on any working machine).
Another case - Wikia is NOT controlled by us (Joey, Me, or any other member of SMBX, Talkhaus or WohlSoft communities), and any jerk (like fake Nintendo Of Ammerica guy) is able to make huge fart and destroy everything stuff "because copyright violations". I don't think you want have that. EVERYTHING you must control yourself and don't trust to external services, especially you working with illegal (Mario universe media) stuff.

P.S. Don't forget that "Measure thrice and cut once". Means check everything and don't miss tiny details or that can growl into huge trouble...
Last edited by Wohlstand on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElectriKong

Postby ElectriKong » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:50 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
King of Eterity wrote:Well there is this
Even Wikia is good and stable platform, but still has a bit trash (VERY non-thematic ads) which annoying or results a bad design. I like to read something on it, but reading it on phone is pain, because fat ads are slowing entire page a lot!
Myself I don't trust Wikia and preffer you would dedicate independent database for wiki and you will build the automatized daily backup of everything (for example, storing in the side private folder or dropping stuff into external server (like Google Drive), or by SFTP drop into home server built from any computer, or just configured on any working machine).
Another case - Wikia is NOT controlled by us (Joey, Me, or any other member of SMBX, Talkhaus or WohlSoft communities), and any jerk (like fake Nintendo Of Ammerica guy) is able to make huge fart and destroy everything stuff "because copyright violations". I don't think you want have that. EVERYTHING you must control yourself and don't trust to external services, especially you working with illegal (Mario universe media) stuff.
That would be a problem as Nintendo do frown upon fangames like SMBX and are known to close many down, and they also hate YouTubers. I do think that the official one should be reopen on this site and have a fresh start. (I am pretty sure Joey should be able to do that, as well as a few other areas of the site that are inactive) since it is clear he can add new pages to the site.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:56 pm

King of Eterity wrote:That would be a problem as Nintendo do frown upon fangames like SMBX and are known to close many down, and they also hate YouTubers. I do think that the official one should be reopen on this site and have a fresh start. (I am pretty sure Joey should be able to do that, as well as a few other areas of the site that are inactive) since it is clear he can add new pages to the site.
I think (but may be not right), Joey now has another trouble: disk space is almost overflown (because fat logs and much forum posts are grown into a big fat storage. You may remember that forum sometimes downs with "Bad Gateway" error?), and wiki is able to growl much faster than forums (for example, current PGE Forum's database tarball has 585 MB (include all forum PHP/HTML/CSS files, avatars, smiles, uploaded files and database dump with threads/posts/PMs/etc.) while PGE WIki's tarball has 1.1 GB size (database dump which contains much article text, lots of pictures, few musics, also cached information etc.)). But yea, because rebuilding Wiki is a hard work, Joey don't want repeat it again and I understand him (why daily backup is REQUIRED). While laziness is "motor of progress", it's still be a foe of safety and stability

lighthouse64
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby lighthouse64 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
King of Eterity wrote:That would be a problem as Nintendo do frown upon fangames like SMBX and are known to close many down, and they also hate YouTubers. I do think that the official one should be reopen on this site and have a fresh start. (I am pretty sure Joey should be able to do that, as well as a few other areas of the site that are inactive) since it is clear he can add new pages to the site.
I think (but may be not right), Joey now has another trouble: disk space is almost overflown (because fat logs and much forum posts are grown into a big fat storage. You may remember that forum sometimes downs with "Bad Gateway" error?), and wiki is able to growl much faster than forums (for example, current PGE Forum's database tarball has 585 MB (include all forum PHP/HTML/CSS files, avatars, smiles, uploaded files and database dump with threads/posts/PMs/etc.) while PGE WIki's tarball has 1.1 GB size (database dump which contains much article text, lots of pictures, few musics, also cached information etc.)). But yea, because rebuilding Wiki is a hard work, Joey don't want repeat it again and I understand him (why daily backup is REQUIRED). While laziness is "motor of progress", it's still be a foe of everything
Not many people used the wiki anyways. I think having it on wikia is probably fine, since it'd probably overload the smbx.org servers if a wiki was hosted on it.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:09 pm

lighthouse64 wrote:Not many people used the wiki anyways. I think having it on wikia is probably fine, since it'd probably overload the smbx.org servers if a wiki was hosted on it.
  • Because LunaLua API and PGE, PGE Wiki is used widely by level creators and people who playing around with level and episode scripts. SMBX Wiki was primany a common information collection about game itself and it's features, it's in-game and engine's features, about community members, shortly about other things, etc.
  • How I told, Wikia is not controlled by us, and anyone, who has a law power, able to destroy everything.
  • While original SMBX Wiki was alive, forum still worked fine and not being slowed. Server load is dependent on total online people per second. If it's persistent, no matter wiki exists or not. It just a fatman who eats a disk space, but no matter to networking or server's CPU.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:59 pm

Guys, the reason why we don't have a wiki is because there's not enough interest in it.

This has nothing to do with disk space, backups, spam, the server, or anything of the sort (we are perfectly capable of hosting and maintaining the wiki; as I said, the issue is lack of interest). Feel free to use this thread to discuss the wiki but there's no reason to be worrying about that stuff.

ElectriKong

Postby ElectriKong » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Joey wrote:Guys, the reason why we don't have a wiki is because there's not enough interest in it.

This has nothing to do with disk space, backups, spam, the server, or anything of the sort (we are perfectly capable of hosting and maintaining the wiki; as I said, the issue is lack of interest). Feel free to use this thread to discuss the wiki but there's no reason to be worrying about that stuff.
So what about the SMBX worlds or GFX pack sections. Why have they not been updated?

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:20 pm

There's always the choice between keeping informative material in forum threads or a separate wiki. Forum threads have the advantage that people can comment and contribute without joining the wiki (and even discovering it in the first place). We can maybe even make a separate subforum for all this info stuff. We already have LD tutorials etc. so what would be left to do is mostly the community-related stuff.

And yeah, there should be more recent episodes / graphical works on the respective links if that can be done.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Supershroom wrote:There's always the choice between keeping informative material in forum threads or a separate wiki. Forum threads have the advantage that people can comment and contribute without joining the wiki (and even discovering it in the first place). We can maybe even make a separate subforum for all this info stuff. We already have LD tutorials etc. so what would be left to do is mostly the community-related stuff.
Not to repeat what's been said already, but really, the problem is not where, but the fact that there is no interest or initiative.

In my eyes, there is no need for a Wiki or whatever source of information. It may be nice to have one, yes, but chances are that in the long run people will just get tired of keeping up with it and just let it rot.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:52 pm

Informative threads on the forums themselves are part of the forum meta, though, and thus also more likely to be updated regularily (by staff for example). Make a forum/community timeline? Get together and work something out and then put it as a sticky into, let's say, SMBX.org General. Even if something like that is not updated for a while, people will still see it, which you can expect less from a wiki.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”