Level Collection (v1.4.3)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
AlanLive2020
Dolphin
Dolphin

Re: Level Collection (v.1.3.6)

Postby AlanLive2020 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:08 pm

This episode is amazing. The gimmicks and locations are so creative! Probably the best episode I've ever seen in SMBX

Edit: Holy s**t, level 24 messes with my head as much as a troll smw romhack would. Also when i beat it i got sent to a nonexistant level, resulting in a deathloop. Idk if that's intentional but knowing the level right before it probably is.

Added in 37 minutes 31 seconds:
There is a mistake on level 17 with the pipe in the room after completing the main task of the level (the one with the toad in it) in which one of the pipes is entered to the left instead of upwards.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Level Collection (v.1.3.6)

Postby zlaker » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:36 am

AlanLive2020 wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:45 pm
This episode is amazing. The gimmicks and locations are so creative! Probably the best episode I've ever seen in SMBX

Edit: Holy s**t, level 24 messes with my head as much as a troll smw romhack would. Also when i beat it i got sent to a nonexistant level, resulting in a deathloop. Idk if that's intentional but knowing the level right before it probably is.

Added in 37 minutes 31 seconds:
There is a mistake on level 17 with the pipe in the room after completing the main task of the level (the one with the toad in it) in which one of the pipes is entered to the left instead of upwards.
Thank you for letting me know! I'll be working on a patch that'll be hopefully be out this week addressing this issue and making some small tweaks to a few levels.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Level Collection (v1.4)

Postby zlaker » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:17 pm

A new version is up adressing some issues and tweaking a few levels!

Here is the latest patch

Nathan7934
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: he/him

Amazing Episode!!

Postby Nathan7934 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:10 pm

Hi there,

I made this account just to tell you how amazing this level collection is! It's seriously some of the best Mario I have ever played. Recently transitioned over from Mario Maker to SMBX and the difference in quality and care in the level design is crazy, glad to see so much passion for this fan game. Excellent work

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:26 am

If you start level 23 (Time Flies in the Skies) at the 3rd checkpoint (either by selecting to start from there or dying and then respawn there), it bricks the rest of the whole level. A lot of things required to progress will despawn upon exiting the section, such as checkpoint 4 and 5, the Thwimp right before the yellow switch pipe, and the star exit. The spikes in the 2nd last section also don't move.

By the way, entering the pipe to leave the section just as the time stops will softlock the game since the player is in animation (and unable to pause or bring the menu).

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:52 pm

cato wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:26 am
If you start level 23 (Time Flies in the Skies) at the 3rd checkpoint (either by selecting to start from there or dying and then respawn there), it bricks the rest of the whole level. A lot of things required to progress will despawn upon exiting the section, such as checkpoint 4 and 5, the Thwimp right before the yellow switch pipe, and the star exit. The spikes in the 2nd last section also don't move.

By the way, entering the pipe to leave the section just as the time stops will softlock the game since the player is in animation (and unable to pause or bring the menu).
I tried to recreate this glitch with the checkpoints and had no success, do you mind PMing me a gif or a video of you performing it?

EDIT: After some more testing in the editor, I figured out the issue. By placing the third checkpoint in a different section where time isn't affected, it won't cause this issue. I'll have a patch sometime soon addressing this issue.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Level Collection (v1.4.1)

Postby zlaker » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:17 pm

The latest patch should be up, I apologize for the wait. I had to deal with some IRL stuff and other projects.

A few levels have gotten some minor fixes. Level 4 & 22 have gotten name changes, and the bug regarding the 3rd checkpoint in level 23.

Link to the latest patch.

Main post has also been updated!

ditditdit
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: e
Pronouns: she/they

Postby ditditdit » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:59 pm

HI! in your signature, it links to the old website.

(not an april fools joke, sooy about the timing :P)

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:19 am

Hey heads up, the Discord download link is broken due to Discord changing how download links from Discord servers work. It might be worth noting (or maybe update it to Beta 5 if possible)

Cornholio309
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Cornholio309 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:41 am

Yeah, was also going to say myself that the recent Beta 5 update seemingly broke compatibility with this particular episode if you try to play it via the Episode Launcher. You get a couple of nasty lua errors. Choosing 'Cancel' gives you a non-functional level select screen.
Spoiler: show
Choosing "Cancel": show
These occur with both the SMBX2b5p1.2 and SMBX2B5p2 patch unfortunately.

I'm hoping this can be addressed since I played and quite liked the first level in this pack!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:00 am

Cornholio309 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:41 am
Yeah, was also going to say myself that the recent Beta 5 update seemingly broke compatibility with this particular episode if you try to play it via the Episode Launcher. You get a couple of nasty lua errors. Choosing 'Cancel' gives you a non-functional level select screen.
This is the reason: These pieces of code point to lines containing the term "Level.name()". There was a bug in Beta 4 that caused Level.name() to output the filename (minus the .lvlx extension) instead of the level name set in the editor settings, and that was fixed in Beta 5. Because Level_transition.lua and custom_menu.lua were using this bug to run that particular piece of code, fixing the bug in SMBX2 Beta 5 also broke both libraries and will need to be adjusted.

In both level_transition.lua and custom_menu.lua, replace all instances of "Level.name()" with this code: "Misc.levelFolder():sub(1,-2)" (no quotation marks).

custom_menu.lua lines 112-115 should look like this if done correctly:

Code: Select all

--local eggCounter = SaveData.eggInfo.egg_counter
local player_level = tonumber(Misc.levelFolder():sub(1,-2))
local starCounter = mem(0x00B251E0, FIELD_WORD)
local currentCounter = player_level
level_transition.lua lines 3-4 should look like this if done correctly:

Code: Select all

local level_value = tonumber(Misc.levelFolder():sub(1,-2))
local current_level = tonumber(Misc.levelFolder():sub(1,-2))
It is best to attempt fixing this in Notepad++, as it shows line numbers and you can easily search up those lines as well via its Find function.
Special thanks to Rednaxela for figuring out a fix to this. Please play the episode with caution as some things may more or less break due to various changes in SMBX2 Beta 5.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Level Collection (v1.4.2)

Postby zlaker » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:38 am

I've now updated the page with a new version that should be compatible with SMBX Beta 5. Sorry for the wait.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:54 am

I'd like to report a case of wrong start points - the eighth level has an incorrect startpoint set in the third Dragon Coin room, and I had to manually fix it myself in the editor to get it working right.
EDIT: Some more bugs to report, hold on:

Level 17 Stormy Station
The block to change back from Lil' Sparky to Mario breaks in Stormy Station, leading to some really strange results. You can get SMB3 Ice Mario and turn invisible in some frames. Effect persists after checkpoint
Level 18 Operation Dreadnought Takedown
The switch fence/platforms gimmick does not work as far as I know. The green fences won't activate and causes the section after the first checkpoint to become impossible to get over without cheats.
And in general, while I did collect all the Dragon Coins, the menu tallies them as 119 instead of the maximum 120. I had to manually go into my savefile to fix this myself. I made sure to collect all the Dragon Coins in every level before this happened. As a side note: it might be because I was using cheats and repeatedly using Redigitiscool to ensure saving, and I quit the last level and saved when I beat the final boss (but did not get the star yet lol). I did also get three coins before I started fighting the boss then exiting.

Another thing: the level name display in Crossing the Poisonous River is outdated - it says "Toxic Wayfarer".

Anyways, besides all those issues above, great episode and I hope to see some more cool stuff!

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:29 pm

FutureNyanCat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:54 am
I'd like to report a case of wrong start points - the eighth level has an incorrect startpoint set in the third Dragon Coin room, and I had to manually fix it myself in the editor to get it working right.
EDIT: Some more bugs to report, hold on:

Level 17 Stormy Station
The block to change back from Lil' Sparky to Mario breaks in Stormy Station, leading to some really strange results. You can get SMB3 Ice Mario and turn invisible in some frames. Effect persists after checkpoint
Level 18 Operation Dreadnought Takedown
The switch fence/platforms gimmick does not work as far as I know. The green fences won't activate and causes the section after the first checkpoint to become impossible to get over without cheats.
And in general, while I did collect all the Dragon Coins, the menu tallies them as 119 instead of the maximum 120. I had to manually go into my savefile to fix this myself. I made sure to collect all the Dragon Coins in every level before this happened. As a side note: it might be because I was using cheats and repeatedly using Redigitiscool to ensure saving, and I quit the last level and saved when I beat the final boss (but did not get the star yet lol). I did also get three coins before I started fighting the boss then exiting.

Another thing: the level name display in Crossing the Poisonous River is outdated - it says "Toxic Wayfarer".

Anyways, besides all those issues above, great episode and I hope to see some more cool stuff!
I've updated the download links with new versions that should fix these issues + a problem with a setup in level 20.

Return to “Episodes”