Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

[Early Access] The Fourside [v1.1] [Update!]

Postby FutureNyanCat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:26 am

DOWNLOAD: https://mega.nz/file/fF51nQIR#fzKPJat6T ... WERlRam3Mo
Current Version: v1.1.1

Welcome to the Fourside!

It's a special square-shaped estate just for you! Set in a totally convenient location above your home planet, The Fourside is safe, fun, and not confusing at all! Aaaaand it's all yours... for FREE! Talk to us right now at 555-0428-0245 for more information.

You have decided to choose the Fourside as your new home... on the moon! But, all is not as it seems in the ads... Good luck!

Screenshots below, to get a general idea:
Spoiler: show
CHANGELOG:
Spoiler: show
See the changelog contained within the Readme file for previous changelog history.

v1.1 changes:
[ AFTERMATH PATCH ]
- Includes all changes from 1.0 Hotfix!
- Now uses kindhurtblock.lua by MrDoubleA to ease the hurt tile hitboxes, especially for spikes and lava!
- The Magikoopa Sorcerer shield spells are now square-shaped. Heheh...
- Since the level is still locked to Toad, the checkpoint flag GFX now uses new sprites from Super Mario Maker 2, featuring Toad's emblem.

- Section 2 changes:
-- Added another arrow sign to Section 2 to help guide the player to the last Magikoopa Sorcerer.

- Boss changes:
-- Phase 2 now features a less awkward lineguide platform, which does not bob up and down via curved lineguides. Instead, the lineguide is now straight!
Last edited by FutureNyanCat on Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:20 am, edited 9 times in total.

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Re: [Early Access] The Fourside

Postby SuperAlex » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:47 am

I swear to you that you will reach the maximum in the top 3 or top2 or top1
This level was very square

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:28 pm

Absolutely insane level! Tons of custom assets, scripts and a nice atmosphere. You know it is good when you used lots of Undertale sound effects and Celeste tilesets. Perfectly executed squareness and supernatural theme.

Just some nitpicks. The level is a bit confusing when I can't distinguish the walls, the semi-solid and the path to go after something is unlocked. Also, the boss needs to tone down a bit. It is difficult and complex with the stuff there.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby FutureNyanCat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:42 pm

cato wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:28 pm
Absolutely insane level! Tons of custom assets, scripts and a nice atmosphere. You know it is good when you used lots of Undertale sound effects and Celeste tilesets. Perfectly executed squareness and supernatural theme.

Just some nitpicks. The level is a bit confusing when I can't distinguish the walls, the semi-solid and the path to go after something is unlocked. Also, the boss needs to tone down a bit. It is difficult and complex with the stuff there.
Thanks! I'm currently polishing the level right now with user feedback from Valentine and LGL. I'll update the level again with some new stuff while I'm at it!

Also, what I'm doing right now for the polish:
- Adding arrow signs to help guide the player when solving puzzles
- Giving huge nerfs to the boss arena, and adding more room for the player to dodge projectiles in + reducing the number of hits the boss can take
- Adding Pluck Patches from Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker to reduce powerup generator camping in the bossfight and the number of powerups in the level
- Forcing to start as Toad (due to him having more HP than Mario & Luigi)
- Reduced the number of unnecessary enemies
- Removed Blurker (because he's very useless in the level, and I attempted to shoehorn the enemy in to give him some screen time, but it only posed more of a hindrance)
- Modifying some sound effects to fit the atmosphere of the level
- And lastly, extending the starting area and giving it foreshadowing of what the actual level is

EDIT: I released a new update. Check it out!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: [Early Access] The Fourside [Update 0.2 Out - Final Polish!]

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:59 am

Hi everybody! I've released V0.2 of my level, which features a little more polish, and may be considered the close-to-final release of the level. If there's anything wrong, let me know and I'll fix it up for the submission release!

https://mega.nz/file/eJ5FCQSQ#GyQFsLkZA ... pPsJWdKKZ4

EDIT: After some full polish, The Fourside 1.0 is now released!
EDIT 2: Please check the thread once again for a hotfix, fixing two problems that have been pointed out by Cato.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: [Early Access] The Fourside [v1.1] [Update!]

Postby FutureNyanCat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:17 am

UPDATE: I released a new version of The Fourside with some small patches and some few detail changes.
https://mega.nz/file/DN5wSTLa#CDc5FBPxw ... fXWV_LLWKc

The changelog is listed in the spoiler tags on the first page. This version is also submitted.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: [Early Access] The Fourside [v1.1] [Update!]

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:21 am

LAST UPDATE: A few fixes were made in the final patch to The Fourside, effectively considering this level COMPLETE.

- TXT file is updated to clarify Toad is only used to play this level.
- Moved an arrow sign in Section 1 to make it more obvious to the player.
- Fixed a faulty color tag in a Section 2 sign.
- Fixed the death effects for the Boos.

https://mega.nz/file/fF51nQIR#fzKPJat6T ... WERlRam3Mo

Return to “Mystery Contest 2021”