GARDENS OF PURITY {v.2.0 OUT NOW}

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!
Pronouns: He/Him

GARDENS OF PURITY {v.2.0 OUT NOW}

Postby Waddle » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:01 pm

๐–๐ž๐ฅ๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐†๐š๐ซ๐๐ž๐ง๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐๐ฎ๐ซ๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ.

๐‹๐š๐ฒ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐…๐ž๐š๐ซ๐ฌ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐๐ฎ๐ซ๐๐ž๐ง๐ฌ.

๐„๐ฑ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐–๐จ๐ซ๐ฅ๐๐ฌ ๐›๐ž๐ฒ๐จ๐ง๐ ๐–๐จ๐ซ๐ฅ๐๐ฌ,

๐”๐ง๐œ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฌ๐ž๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ-๐ฏ๐š๐ฌ๐ญ ๐’๐š๐ง๐œ๐ญ๐ฎ๐ฆ.

๐’๐“๐„๐ ๐ˆ๐๐“๐Ž ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐‹๐ˆ๐†๐‡๐“!

Catch a glimpse: show

๐Ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฏ๐ข๐ž๐ฐ
This episode comprises a collection of loosely tied levels in an atmospheric and immersive hub world. The levels within range from Link-based combat-oriented platformers to the eldritch experiences of Flurret Path, or the unique movement options of the inconvenient ascent. Further, this episode is expected to grow as time goes on. The hub will expand outward, with new unlockable paths and content behind them. There is currently no roadmap or release date for such expansion, but it is most certainly a possibility.

๐‚๐จ๐ง๐ญ๐ž๐ง๐ญ
Presently the episode contains over 12 levels!

๐“๐ž๐š๐ฆ
Myself, mostly, though significant credit goes to Enjl for helping me conceptualize and realize the Gardens.

๐‚๐ก๐š๐ง๐ ๐ž๐ฅ๐จ๐ 

Spoiler: show

Version 2.0:
โ€ข Global: Incorporated LittleDialogue
โ€ข Trial of the Moon: added
โ€ข Woods: added
โ€ข Fixed a few bugs
โ€ข Hub: Escalated.

Version 1.1:
โ€ข Outset Keep: Added a checkpoint halfway through the second section
โ€ข Drenched Mire: Added a checkpoint halfway through the top half's second section
โ€ข Drenched Mire: Improved and polished some cruel setups
โ€ข Drenched Mire: Nerfed the menace Mud Mouser
โ€ข Hub: Escalated.

Last edited by Waddle on Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Blake Izayoi
Flair: Sakuya's Husband
Pronouns: He / Him

Re: GARDENS OF PURITY

Postby Blake Izayoi » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:41 pm

Absolutely incredible. This is a must play!! The visuals especially are stunning.
Congratulations on the release of the episode. It's also exciting to hear this episode will be expanded in the future.

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:19 pm

Waddle wrote: โ†‘
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:01 pm
๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐†๐š๐ซ๐๐ž๐ง๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ
Wow I Rรฉcord the Episode damageless

georgespezi12
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby georgespezi12 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:31 am

The mouser in the lower path of the mire feels much like a big difficulty spike compared to the castle mouser

Also this:

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah

Postby Waddle » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:23 am

georgespezi12 wrote: โ†‘
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:31 am
The mouser in the lower path of the mire feels much like a big difficulty spike compared to the castle mouser

Also this:
Hehe, yeah, noticed that one. As for cave mouser, he requires a different approach I think! Staying patient and focusing on blocking Mouser's attacks is the way to go.

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:24 pm

I Rรฉcord the Episode please

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 pm

Archived
Last edited by Archived on Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

georgespezi12
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby georgespezi12 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:21 am

Accessiblity options would be great for newer players.

Sambo
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Sambo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:26 pm

You've got some great stuff here! The levels are tough, but really well-designed. The hub gives off strong Fez vibes with its relaxing ambient music and air of mystery.

This may be because I don't play Link much, but the Swordmaster levels were especially hard, and it felt like there were a lot of cases where the cost of death was too high. I think there should probably be more checkpoints in the first two of these levels.

In the Peach level, the secret path that leads to Chavel (I think that was the singing creature's name?) is basically impossible to find. I had to cheat to find it. The tight passage right before Chavel's room is too small to squeeze through, so I had to cheat at that, too. I was able to figure out the hint in that room, though, and use it in the appropriate locations.

Like I said, though, this is episode is really great, and I would recommend people to give it a play (unless they're new to SMBX, because it is pretty hard).

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah

Postby Waddle » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:21 am

Sambo wrote: โ†‘
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:26 pm
You've got some great stuff here! The levels are tough, but really well-designed. The hub gives off strong Fez vibes with its relaxing ambient music and air of mystery.

This may be because I don't play Link much, but the Swordmaster levels were especially hard, and it felt like there were a lot of cases where the cost of death was too high. I think there should probably be more checkpoints in the first two of these levels.

In the Peach level, the secret path that leads to Chavel (I think that was the singing creature's name?) is basically impossible to find. I had to cheat to find it. The tight passage right before Chavel's room is too small to squeeze through, so I had to cheat at that, too. I was able to figure out the hint in that room, though, and use it in the appropriate locations.

Like I said, though, this is episode is really great, and I would recommend people to give it a play (unless they're new to SMBX, because it is pretty hard).
I'm glad to hear the overall experience was a good one! Seeing FEZ cited as a vibe brings me great joy, since it was an enormous inspiration going into this whole thing.

The Link levels are comparatively difficult I think, and if I were to do an updated release (which I might do very soon) I'll certainly touch them up a little bit. I think during testing I got a bit of designer's tunnel vision, since I've played around with Link so much.

As far as the overly cryptic Cheval passage is concerned, I'm always conflicted with these sorts of things. I secretly quite like locking content behind these ridiculous barriers to where figuring it out is a proper challenge, but at the same time if resorting to the editor or cheating feels unearned, or if one feels like there was never any chance of coming to it without cheating, then maybe it's gone a bit too far. I think I'll at least make the cramped hallway easier to squeeze through (it is possible, though hard, to do without cheating).

Thanks for play!

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah

Re: GARDENS OF PURITY {v.1.1 OUT NOW}

Postby Waddle » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:00 pm

Version 1.1 is out now! See the changelog for further details, and the main post for the updated download link.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah

Re: GARDENS OF PURITY {v.2.0 OUT NOW}

Postby Waddle » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:23 pm

Hello hello! Version 2.0 is here. See main post for changelog and updated DL link.

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:05 am

Archived
Last edited by Archived on Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah

Postby Waddle » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:05 am

Eclipsed wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:05 am
Waddle wrote: โ†‘
Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:23 pm
Hello hello! Version 2.0 is here. See main post for changelog and updated DL link.
Is it gonna be one level per update or are there more plans than that?
I'm honestly not sure. I roll out updates whenever I have the creative juice for doing so, and whenever I have a batch of new content I feel is worth sharing. That might be one level, that might be four levels. We'll see how it goes, though, this'll be the last update in a while (as I hopefully work towards something major).

LooKiCH
Tweeter
Tweeter
Pronouns: he/him

Postby LooKiCH » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:54 pm

I have such a problem, I collected 13 crystals, and the wall with the levels shown on the gif does not open for me. When I watched the video on the passage of this episode, that wall was open, what could it be connected with? I updated the episode, it still doesn't work for me

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:24 pm

Lukinsky Play wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:54 pm
I have such a problem, I collected 13 crystals, and the wall with the levels shown on the gif does not open for me. When I watched the video on the passage of this episode, that wall was open, what could it be connected with? I updated the episode, it still doesn't work for me
Crystals have no bearing on when that gate opens. There are some secrets in the levels of the Blademaster's Halls that it seems you haven't found yet.

LooKiCH
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby LooKiCH » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:32 pm

Enjl wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:24 pm
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:54 pm
Crystals have no bearing on when that gate opens. There are some secrets in the levels of the Blademaster's Halls that it seems you haven't found yet.
ah, I missed one moment on the hike, there, in Link's level with 2 crystals, I saw a head in one section, which will open the wall

LooKiCH
Tweeter
Tweeter

New level - Woods

Postby LooKiCH » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:12 pm

I went through a new level of the episode - Woods, there are only 3 crystals, one, of course, I collected, and the remaining 2 how to take without changing anything in the editor, I donโ€™t know, I looked in the luna.lua file, I didnโ€™t understand anything there, I tried in other ways (such as killing all NPCs, etc.), nothing happened

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah

Re: New level - Woods

Postby Waddle » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:36 am

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:12 pm
I went through a new level of the episode - Woods, there are only 3 crystals, one, of course, I collected, and the remaining 2 how to take without changing anything in the editor, I donโ€™t know, I looked in the luna.lua file, I didnโ€™t understand anything there, I tried in other ways (such as killing all NPCs, etc.), nothing happened
There are a few subtle hints in the level as to how to get its two final gems. That flower at the start of the level looks familiar. And is that... a familiar shape, below the unopenable door?

LooKiCH
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby LooKiCH » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:57 am

I tried to go through The Primordial and Flurret Canyon to all endings, the problem is that if you go through Flurret Canyon first to all endings, then in the Woods level it is possible to do only the ending for Flurret, you wonโ€™t even do the main ending. To make the rest of the endings in this level, you need to go to the save1-ext.dat file and find ["flurretTrueEnding"]=true, change 'true' to 'false'

And also I noticed a bug when passing to the 3rd ending, you either erased the warp to another section, or forgot to erase the warp to 1 section

Return to โ€œEpisodesโ€