Mario and the Missing Shine Sprites

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
3lectronstar024
Ripper II
Ripper II
Pronouns: He/Him

Mario and the Missing Shine Sprites

Postby 3lectronstar024 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:09 pm

Mario and the Missing Shine Sprites is an SMBX episode based off of a flash game by Runouw called "Super Mario 63", first released in 2009. This episode had been worked on since 2017, making it a total of 4 years of development of this project, it did have original release dates that have been pushed forward countless of times due to some parts of the development being on a slow run. But now that the wait's finally over, Mario and the Missing Shine Sprites is officially out!

DISCLAIMER!
Please know that this episode only works with SMBX2 Beta 4, so I'd recommend you to install the game if you want to get the episode working properly.

Plot:

Spoiler: show
During the present time at the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario was making his way to Princess Peachs Castle to have some delicious cake with the Princess along with the Toads. Until Bowser and his son Bowser Jr. came to the Mushroom Kingdom as Bowser was once again up to his evil plans to capture the Princess again, not only this was his plan, they also took all of the Shine Sprites to make his kingdom much more powerful. It is up to Mario to restore all the Shine Sprites and get rid of Bowser and his minions, so that he can save Peach and return to the Mushroom Kingdom safely with restored peace.

Screenshots:
Videos:

Release Trailers:

Level Designers:
- 8luestorm
- DerEric
- Dragonfan96
- gbradley231

Beta Testers:
- Cedur
- Eclipsed
- YoshiSuperstar
- Suckerman7 GM

Download Link:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/r4pewjtc ... s.zip/file

Hope you guys enjoy the game and have fun! :D
Last edited by 3lectronstar024 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChromaNyan
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: minecraft bundle my beloved <3
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Mario and the Missing Shine Sprites

Postby ChromaNyan » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:31 pm

the very first thing i checked to see was if you could do the skip to the upper floor like in sm63, i was not disappointed

also i immediately found a bug:
in the backyard area (comparable to the area you get the green shine in sm63), you can combo the boss if you get the hammer suit from the one secret area and you toss a hammer upwards when kamek is near his spawn area

3lectronstar024
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby 3lectronstar024 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:56 am

NyanMC wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:31 pm
the very first thing i checked to see was if you could do the skip to the upper floor like in sm63, i was not disappointed

in the backyard area (comparable to the area you get the green shine in sm63), you can combo the boss if you get the hammer suit from the one secret area and you toss a hammer upwards when kamek is near his spawn area
I wouldn't say that this is a bug... it just works like that for the Hammer suit

ChromaNyan
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: minecraft bundle my beloved <3
Pronouns: she/they

Postby ChromaNyan » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:32 am

3lectronstar024 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:56 am
NyanMC wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:31 pm

I wouldn't say that this is a bug... it just works like that for the Hammer suit
well if it gets left in then i just discovered a really good speedrun strategy

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Cuteness overload <3
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Luna » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:11 am

It's great to finally see this getting released!
I'll make sure to play this at some point.

AirShip
Panser
Panser
Flair: The Flying Ghost

Postby AirShip » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Congratulations on completing your episode!
I really like the inspiration of SM64/SM63 that your episode have, make me remember my forgotten episode with the same inspirations.
Probably I will play this later.

3lectronstar024
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby 3lectronstar024 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:20 pm

One quick update! I made a few fixes of this episode including some music files that needed to be converted to OGG and issues that some certain levels have. They were quite alot for me to bring into a seperate patch folder, so I remade the download file. If anyone still has the original file, I'd recommend you to redownload this new link and replace the old one.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:27 am

This episode feels very oldschool, both in its layout and scope, as well as how it feels like it could have been made in 1.3. It's almost nostalgic.
Unfortunately, with the close resemblance to older episode comes a set of nitpicks that get in the way of the play experience. Here are a few suggestions for perhaps a patch, should you want to make one:

1. Most Red Coin missions are mostly redundant as they are right now. The player is basically asked to play the same level twice, as the red coins are often placed linearly along the path to the exit. This wouldn't be so bad if the Red Coin shine wasn't also a level-ending shine. I recommend making it so that every secret exit that is on the path to the regular exit is a SMW star, to prevent kicking the player out of the level right before the exit.

1a. This may sound like it would be a problem for the Bowser stages, which use SMW stars to warp the player to a cutscene afterwards, but that can easily be avoided using some lua. For instance, you can use Graphics.sprites to change the graphics of the SMW star, and NPC.config[id].configfield to change the properties of the SMW star, depending on the section the player is in. So if you were to trigger an event when the boss dies that changes the star graphic, you can use SMW stars for both red coin shines and for keys in the same level. Another way to achieve a similar resolution would be to make keys a non-star NPC and instead have them trigger some lua code that calls Level.load() to transport the player into the cutscene level directly.

2. It's awfully inconvenient to exit a level without beating it. A custom pause menu with an option that Level.load()-calls to the hub level would be ideal, but the Super Mario Star Expedition way of making a door appear next to each checkpoint and level start would suffice as well. That would be more work though, probably.

3. Some levels suffer from the age-old glitch of autostart events not running when a level is reloaded with the "Restart last level on death" flag active. To fix this, disable autostart events and manually call them from lua via triggerEvent("eventname") in the onStart function.

4. Warp transitions tend to be incredibly glitchy around screen-edge instant warps. I don't know exactly why this is happening here, but I'm guessing it has to do with how the warp entrances and exits are aligned? Perhaps they're overlapping, or cause the player to overlap. This might be worth fixing for the sake of not having the player wait 10 seconds for 5 warp transitions to finish whenever they want to cross certain screen boundaries.

5. One last suggestion I have is to reduce the shine requirements for doors across the board. The costs right now are rather strict, requiring for example 20 shines for bowser 1 after you unlock a door at 18 shines that only allows you to get 1 extra shine behind it. This makes it very tedious to make progress if you don't stumble across the sequence breaks, which in turn make the progression feel rather arbitrary. I think I'd have more fun exploring if all star requirements until the lategame were halved, to make the progression more fanned out like in SM64. This is the most my-own-preference suggestion of the bunch.

That's my 2 cents. Great to see a project of this scope released. It doesn't seem to relate as much to SM63 as it advertises, only copying the hub and some cherrypicked points, but that doesn't mean that the game is any worse for it. Hope my advice is something you can work with.

Also if you're using git for version control you can grab all files that changed between 2 commits with this command. Makes automating making a patch really easy:

Code: Select all

git diff-tree -r --no-commit-id --name-only --diff-filter=ACMRT STARTCOMMIT ENDCOMMIT | tar -cf file.tar -T -
Just replace STARTCOMMIT and ENDCOMMIT with the commit hashes or tags. It'll create a file called file.tar with all the changed files.

Sonicthemouse
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: I still don't know what a flair is
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Sonicthemouse » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:48 pm

Really cool to finally see this done! As someone who also loves SM63 I've been waiting since it was announced for this moment. It looks great and hopefully will live up to it's inspiration, I'll be sure to play it soon and give some thoughts

lan vuhoang
Bit
Bit

Postby lan vuhoang » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:48 pm

1. Maybe add something like anotherPowerDownLibrary in there so you go Fire/Leaf/etc. > Big > Small. Most of the first stages are pretty hard, so having 3rd stages go straight to Small just seems like an arbitary way to increase difficulty, especially when the episode is on 2.0, where most episodes implemented anotherPowerDownLibrary or a simmilar script.
2. I was able to barely just get star coin #3 in Beautiful Gardens by doing a high jump from the first platform as Big Mario. Is this intentional? If not, you should definitely move it up a bit to avoid that, and move the platform down so it isn't unreachable.
3. Some of the level designs are pretty cool. I like Early Bird Trees where you can see a tree blocked by red switch blocks at the beginning of the stage, and only 2 star coins are available. At the end of the stage, you have to go into a tree, flip a switch, and suddenly, the time became noon, the 3 other star coins appear and more obstacles are in your way of reaching the blocked tree at the beginning, where King Bob-omb lies.
Last edited by lan vuhoang on Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

lan vuhoang
Bit
Bit

Postby lan vuhoang » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:03 am

Anyone still working? I have some opinions above.
Last edited by lan vuhoang on Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

lan vuhoang
Bit
Bit

Postby lan vuhoang » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:26 am

Anyone still here?

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:03 am

Multiposting won't help at all!

Bowl_of_Oatmeal
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Bowl_of_Oatmeal » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:27 pm

I can't wait to play it. Super Mario 63 was one of my childhood games so I hope to relive it through this since I probably can't play that game anymore.

So far this is looking pretty solid. I do have some complaints, criticisms and praises to point out but just keep in mind that this is my personal opinion. If it feels like I'm being harsh, I do think more positively of this game rather than negatively.

Grass World
The first level is an ok introduction. I don't really expect much from a first level so it is fine.
I think that the first 3 levels can really be shortened into one level as the levels themselves tend
to repeat themselves and just drag on. They're ok Level design, it just takes forever to beat them and
I find myself getting bored by the 2nd level midway. I do like how each level has their own theme to them,
kind of like how Great New Castle Adventure does. The 4th level has a bad introduction to it's gimmick.
I have no idea how those rail things work with Mario so I end up dying a lot to that because the water isn't
swimmable for some reason. It's a bad introduction because it puts you over a death pit when trying to teach you
the gimmick of the level, it should've been a safe area to test the gimmick out. Also, Why can't I swim in the water?
I could before. I get that there's a sign that says you can't swim in it but You could've just gotten rid of the water
and it would've been fine. Anyways, this level despite it's bad introduction is my favorite level in the first "world" because
the gimmick itself is fun and creative. IT's like a Mario Maker 2 Level with how everything interacts. Level 5 could've been worked on more.
When you kill the apples and thwomp, they turn into spinys and there's an area that kills you because it is glitched.
I like how the level slowly turns into night time, I personally like when levels do that. I disagree with having no checkpoints
before bosses but this is just me, and having mouser be reskinned is fine by me as long as you don't overuse it.
Another thing, could just be me, but I'm noticing a lack of subareas in this game.

So far things are looking pretty good, great job on this, it's pretty fun despite how much I'm nitpicking right now.
Desert World
The first level points out flaws in the game. Firstly I notice that the game lies to me about how many
red coins I have. I've gotten red coins that says I have 8 but it doesn't show the star. It happened to me
3 times so far. Secondly the warps are broken. I've died on the ladder part of level 1 because I jump to the
warp. I would've rather used Pipes. The boss should've just increased the health to 6 instead of spawing another
birdo out of nowhere. The first level is pretty clever in how it uses the Subcons, attaching logs to the snakes
and also using gimmicks from previous levels. Since you know how they work, you know how to use them in creative ways.
The second level is pretty good. I've noticed that you like to use multiple gimmicks in a single level, which
is very nice. I like this level alot, it doesn't overstay it's welcome like some of the other levels and is filled with
content. The third level makes me glad that these levels are getting better. I was worried when I beat the first world
that the entire game was going to be a couple good levels and a lot of boring levels but this world proved me wrong. Easily
my favorate level so far is Level 3 of World 2. Specifically the pyramid level, the begining protion is kinda bad because
the enemy placement of the lotus plants are bad. Another thing thats bad in this level is the thwomp placement because you can't
see them comming. I got stuck on the first thwomp area because it wouldn't activate. I had to use a shy guy to jump on him to activate.
Could've used more testing here.

This world is far better than the first world and proves to me that this is going to be a good episode for me. Let's hope this is. I will
play one more world and I'll continue this in the future.
Lava World
The first level isn't well designed in my opinion. There are a lot of areas where you have to play
perfectly to advance while avoiding bad enemy placement, despawning saws and an area that is pretty much
almost impossible to complete. I wouldn't agree with this design even if it was the final level. I also
don't agree with backtracking a level because it comes across as lazy. There is a lack of powerups in this level
which is why I have to play perfectly to beat it. Don't be afraid to give me powerups, reward me for playing good.

The second level is a good level. The designer really knew what they were doing. Its a really fun level
to learn an go through as most of the things in this level was well thought out. The problems I have with this level
are the placement of the Podobos can be pretty bad because alot of them seem like it;s not your fault you got hit because
you're forced to jump on each platform and then get hit by one or you're hit by one you can't see because of the engine not
placing them in an area you can see them. Another is the checkpoint is pretty demanding. I don't know how far this world is, definenlty
not the third world but It's pretty far in the level. You have to hit 2 switches before you can make it to that level. Other than that
this level is pretty fun, almost as fun as the pyramid level. Second best level in the game, great job.

The third level isn't good design. It's pretty much a kaizo level beause your forced to jump on these parathings almost
pixel perfectly and you have to keep running so that they sync up correctly. These guys were made for autoscroller levels, I would
keep it that way. The bonus area is just a troll pipe because the exit pipe in the parabeetle things go to the exact same place. Why put that pipe there?
it's completely pointless. Also, why put ? mark blocks in this room when it just slows you down and desyncs the parabeetles. This room was not
well thought out. The airship is a broken thing in this engine so I would advise against using that. It's a good idea but since that object is trash
it's ruined by glitches. This is the worst level I've played so far, not a good level at all.

I like the fourth level. It's pretty short and definenlty has too many checkpoints, but I think it's a good, fun, short level. The placement of the
fuzzys and lava guisers can be better though. Can I just say how much I like the idea of a lava guiser moving with the lava? Cool Idea.
Sometimes the spikes in the level looks like background elements, I would change the color of the spikes or something to make it stand out.

I am mixed about the 5th level. It's fun to paly through, dodging the fire from the bullet bills are fun to do and the spinning platforms are straitforward and
fun do use, especial in combination witht the bullet bills. You don't expect the bullet bills to shoot fire which is funny to encounter and a nice suprise. There
are problems I can't ignore. For one, the bullet bills don't work. They should stop firing when you are next to them, but they don't. Sometimes the spinning platform
doesn't move like you expect, they'll move backwards. The enemy placement is fine and the items are plentyful, unlike the other levels. But those two things ruined this
level for me. Brought it from a great level down to an ok fun level.

This world is better than the first because every level had it's own theme to it. No level seemed like it shouldn't be there no matter how bad or good it was. I'm ok with this world,
but there's a lot of moments where it seemed to add unfair difficulty (Lack of powerups, bad enemy placement, bearly any checkpoints, etc) just because it was a fire world.
A lava world doesn't need these things in order to be good, you don't need to add artificial difficulty to make a level hard. Thats what this world suffers from.
Snow World
Snow World

THis is a good level. The only problem I have with this is the platform and saw placement. Other than that, this is a really good level. A great start to this
world.

This world is turning out to be a well desinged world. THis level is fun and pleasing to look at. It's just a feel good level. The muncher part is fine except for the part
where you have to make pixel perfect jumps on ice. I don't know who thought that was a good idea, it wasn't. But other than that, this is a great level.

This level is hard, and I like it because it's completely fair. This is my favorate level by far, it's my kind of level. I also notice that you used the bullet bills
in such a way that it doesn't unfairly kill you. THe only time it does is when you're inbetween 4 bullet bills on a platform because it seems random when you get hit. Otherwise
fantastic level.

This world is the best world because it has a lot of fairly designed levels. Great job, and I usually hate ice worlds.

Yanlo
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Yanlo » Mon May 30, 2022 5:13 am

in the level "Chuck Meadows" the 8 red coins unfortunately do not work for me. So even if I collect them all, the shine sprite doesn't appear. Is there a solution for this? but otherwise I like the game very much so far.

CaretParrot
Goomba
Goomba

Postby CaretParrot » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:53 am

I have a question about the amount of shine sprites in the game. The game insists that there are 79. Is that correct?

Justin Bieber Fan
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: Disguised SMW Hacker

Postby Justin Bieber Fan » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:12 pm

Hi, i got too many times this error and music is not playing, its happening in some levels :(
https://imgur.com/8tHozDg

Return to “Episodes”