[Kaizo] Suffering in Dinosaur Land (Demo v1)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
55jedat555
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: flare

[Kaizo] Suffering in Dinosaur Land (Demo v1)

Postby 55jedat555 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:22 am

Hello one, hello all, and welcome... to die!
This is my ongoing kaizo project. And yes, kaizo is a thing in SMBX. So, without any further ado...

General info
-This is a kaizo game. If you're unsure what that means or are unfamiliar with the genre in some way, read this.
-As such, it features design tropes commonly seen in kaizo hacks/levels, such as precision-demanding platforming, item abuse & trickery, chuck gates, kaizo blocks, helper fish, etc. It also assumes that the player is familiar enough with the game and capable of preforming certain tricks, such as spin-grabs, spring-jumps, shell jumps and more.
-The difficulty (as it would've been classified on SMW Central) is Kaizo: Light. This means that the levels are intended to be beaten without the use of savestates and/or cheats.
-Around 30 or so levels are planned for the final release, with an Any% and 100% route already taken into consideration.
-You will die, probably many times as well.
-Mostly vanilla, but with sprinkles of chocolate here and there (I prefer to call it stracciatella :p).
-Made for SMBX2.

Demo v1
-Rather barebones; intended as a sort of "public beta testing". I've made this decision since the amount of people that'd be interested in playing this is probably on the low end, so it'd be pointless to look for beta testers, and also to see the general reception.
-Features 7 fully completed levels + 2 that are halfway done; also contains some exclusive content (:
-rooms.lua by MrDoubleA is planned to be used, though it's not implemented yet since in its current state it breaks every level (except the first one) to the point of unbeatability. Due to that, the world map is not included either and the levels should be played through the editor/lunatester to allow for shorter reset times. Refer to the included readme for the order in which the levels should be played.
-antizip.lua by Enjl might be used to replace current anti-zip measures (which just kill the player immediately), though I haven't fully decided on that yet.
-Enjl's playerphysicspatch.lua will not be used. I'm more comfortable with SMBX's physics rather than SMW's, so I'm designing this around default SMBX physics.
-If you decide to play this and have any constructive feedback, please post it here or contact me on Discord (55jedat555#7302).

Screenshots
Screenshots of levels included in the demo:
Spoiler: show
World map screenshots:

Video

Download
Feeling brave? Download here. Good luck and have fun (:
NOTE: Don't be fooled by the small amount of levels; even individual sections may take multiple hours to beat. This is not a one-sitting thing.

Credits
LUA
rooms by MrDoubleA
spawnzones by Enjl
swingingPlatforms by MrDoubleA
SMW Urchins & Falling Spike by Enjl
SMW Ball 'n' Chain by Smibbix, tweaked by me
other tweaks and code by me

GFX
Redigit
Valtteri
spawnzone in-editor graphic from SLAM's devkit
death block graphic from Riff World (ripped by me)
black cave tileset (used in Spintop Volcano) from Grand Poo World (ripped by me)
other recolours & misc. by me

MUSIC
all credited in the filenames
Last edited by 55jedat555 on Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gammed
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: Like pizza
Pronouns: he/him

Re: [Kaizo] Suffering in Dinosaur Land (Demo v1)

Postby Gammed » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:09 am

I'm a kaizo player (on smw)
Well, looks cool
I would play if there was a retry system in smbx
Good luck with this project !

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:16 am

It is possible to implement an instant retry system, which is a feature of rooms.lua, so there will probably be one in the full version.

55jedat555
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby 55jedat555 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:24 am

Thank you for the good luck! And yes, the retry system will definitely be in the final version. If rooms.lua doesn't work out (which I hope it will), my backup is using the retry system that was used in MaGKLX3; that one functions perfectly (since it reloads the level entirely), though its biggest drawback is that it also resets the music, which is a shame to say the least.

I'll also point out that rooms.lua is still included in the download, so if anyone would like to see how things break, all they have to do is open the episode-wide luna.lua and uncomment all of the lines related to rooms.lua.

Added in 1 hour 54 minutes 10 seconds:
Quickly dropping a small patch, fixing a discrepancy that I just noticed, at the end of the underwater switch palace. The download link has been updated.

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:25 pm

I played the level: Rex Domain
Description in the video
Video: In youtube search Rex Domain or SuperAlex and find it.

55jedat555
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby 55jedat555 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:37 am

A full playthrough of Demo v1 is now out, for all of you who would enjoy this game better by just watching, rather than playing.

MarioChallengerX2
Bit
Bit

Postby MarioChallengerX2 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:09 pm

Hey, curious question. Where did you get that Deathcounter lua file?

Is that something made for the episode?

(Note: I know there is a public death counter out atm but I'm just asking was this death counter specifically made for this episode)

55jedat555
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby 55jedat555 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:32 pm

MarioChallengerX2 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:09 pm

(Note: I know there is a public death counter out atm but I'm just asking was this death counter specifically made for this episode)
The death counter is something I whipped up for the episode myself, and it's embedded in the episode's lua code rather than being a separate library. It's also currently defunct because there's no quick respawn present in the episode - yet.

MarioChallengerX2
Bit
Bit

Postby MarioChallengerX2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:53 pm

55jedat555 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:32 pm
MarioChallengerX2 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:09 pm

The death counter is something I whipped up for the episode myself, and it's embedded in the episode's lua code rather than being a separate library. It's also currently defunct because there's no quick respawn present in the episode - yet.
Ah, I see then.

MarioStar
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: 26
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby MarioStar » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:16 pm

The kaizo SMBX project is very interesting! I liked the aesthetics and realism! Keep up, man!

Return to “Projects”