Chocolate Contest 2021 - RULES & QUESTIONS

Subforum for the SMBX Chocolate Level Contest 2021.
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Chocolate Contest 2021 - RULES & QUESTIONS

Postby Emral » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:01 am

Welcome to the 2021 Chocolate Contest! The chocolate contest is our annual no-holds-barred level design free-for-all, in which you make the best level you can with all the tools the engine has at its disposal. Because as we all know: Chocolate is the opposite of vanilla.

____________________________________________________________________________________

THE RULES
- You may participate alone or in a team of 2 people.
- Every participant may only submit one level in total.
- Levels must be compatible with SMBX2 Beta 4 Patch 4 Hotfix.
- Levels may have up to 2 exits, and must feature at least 1.
- To prevent issues with their systems affecting contest entries, none of the SMBX2-exclusive player characters may be used.

- A level may be disqualified if two or more judges are unable to play it. If one judge is unable to play it, that judge will merely grant a score of 0.
- A level may be disqualified if the judges agree that it was designed in bad faith.
- A level may be disqualified if it has previously been released, or is stolen.
- A level may be disqualified if the content of the level violates the forum rules.
- A level may be disqualified if (any of) the creator(s) become(s) banned after submission.

____________________________________________________________________________________

OF NOTE
- The results and an episode including all submissions will be released simultaneously once judging concludes. Should the episode take an unexpectedly long amount of time, the results will release first.
- We encourage you to post your level in this subforum for pre-submission testing, or ask friends to test the level
- Submissions are anonymous. The judges will avoid looking at the threads in this subforum
- While secret exits and non-basegame custom characters are allowed, be careful when using them, because their use is known to backfire if handled poorly
- Wrong start points, music paths and other oversights will not be corrected before sending levels to the judges. Test thoroughly!
- Judges may cheat if they aren't skilled enough to beat a difficult level, or if they feel like a level is deliberately wasting their time. An easy way to ensure a judge plays your level legitimately is to moderate yourself in terms of length and difficulty.

RESOURCES
- SMBX2 Documentation
- Developer Resources
- Lunalua Tutorials
- Lunalua Forum
- Tips for starting a level
- Tips for ending a level
- Flick through this if you're struggling for ideas

THE SCORING RUBRIC
In the spoiler below is an explanation of our scoring rubric for this contest. Should you have any questions, please ask them in this thread.

30 points for Pacing, in which the overall structure of the level is be evaluated.
25 points for Fun, in which a judge rates the judge's personal enjoyment of the level.
20 points for Presentation, in which flavour, flourishes, visuals and sound design will be evaluated.
15 points for Concept, in which the level's general idea will be evaluated.
10 points for Functionality, in which a level's technical stability will be evaluated.

The maximum attainable score is 100 points (30/25/20/15/10 per category).

THE JUDGES
5 judges will be judging the levels. Three of these have fought hard and overcome the trial of the judge auditions:
DisasterMaster, GenesisJames, Waddle
They will be joined by ShadowStarX and Enjl to round out the judge roster.

All judges will review levels without awareness of who made them.

THE DEVKIT
For this contest we have put together a small devkit with a few helpful features that let you do some fancy things with none-to-minimal coding.
You do not need to use the devkit, or download it. Your level will work the same regardless of whether or not you use it. However, you might find it useful in general.
Documentation is included, but for a brief run-down:
- textplus-based recreation of the basegame message box
- more UI elements, positions of UI elements as they will appear in the episode, as well as the option to reduce the ui to itembox only
- some stuff to ensure that the variables SaveData and GameData can be used as-is and only apply to your level
- visual fidelity settings
- extraNPCProperties.lua by MrDoubleA

DOWNLOAD THE DEVKIT
After downloading, place the contents in the same folder as your contest level's level file.

SUBMISSION

For details about the submission of levels, please head over into the submission thread. If you have any questions about submission, please post them in the thread you are currently reading.

SUBMISSIONS CLOSE AT 6PM GMT ON AUGUST 15TH, 2021.

Added in 1 hour 42 minutes 59 seconds:
The pings:
Spoiler: show
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:41 am
ElTipsta wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:08 pm
Mosaic wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:50 pm
Sux wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:17 am
Darkonius Mavakar wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:38 pm
Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:39 pm
YourLocalHungarian wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 12:36 am
marioman2007 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:59 am
HeroLinik wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:21 am
SuperAlex wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:30 am
Chilly14 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:47 am
wyldstrykr wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:27 pm
georgespezi12 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:51 am
Superiorstar wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:35 pm

KnownStranger
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Re: Chocolate Contest 2021 - RULES & QUESTIONS

Postby KnownStranger » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:52 pm

What do you mean with "levels must be compatible with smbx2 beta 4 patch 4 hotfix"? All the levels must be a LVLX. file? Sorry if this question is kinda stupid. Also I read the Submission forum.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:27 pm

Weirdgoomba4932 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:52 pm
What do you mean with "levels must be compatible with smbx2 beta 4 patch 4 hotfix"? All the levels must be a LVLX. file? Sorry if this question is kinda stupid. Also I read the Submission forum.
The level must be playable on that version because that is the version the judges will use. If you use that version to design your level, there won't be a problem. Beta 4 supports LVL files as well as LVLX files. The benefit of the latter is that you have access to extra settings.

ElTipsta
Lakitu
Lakitu
Pronouns: she/her

Postby ElTipsta » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:30 pm

Thanks for the ping. As an aside, really appreciate the bonus devkit. Looking forward to hopefully submitting something.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:42 pm

Well, I didn't make it as a judge, but I'll still submit my level.

KnownStranger
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby KnownStranger » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:58 pm

Enjl wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:27 pm
Weirdgoomba4932 wrote:
The level must be playable on that version because that is the version the judges will use. If you use that version to design your level, there won't be a problem. Beta 4 supports LVL files as well as LVLX files. The benefit of the latter is that you have access to extra settings.
What are that "extra settings"? Put Lunalua codes in a level or the new features of the level editor?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:08 pm

Weirdgoomba4932 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:58 pm
Enjl wrote:
Weirdgoomba4932 wrote:
What are that "extra settings"? Put Lunalua codes in a level or the new features of the level editor?
The new features of the level editor. They're grayed out in .lvl files, it's pretty easy to spot.

KnownStranger
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby KnownStranger » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:13 pm

Enjl wrote:
Weirdgoomba4932 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:58 pm
Enjl wrote:
The new features of the level editor. They're grayed out in .lvl files, it's pretty easy to spot.
Ok. I'm going to make my level.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:49 pm

Since I forgot to specify - please make sure to extract the devkit into the same folder as where the level file you're working on is to ensure it works as intended.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:20 pm

Enjl wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:49 pm
Since I forgot to specify - please make sure to extract the devkit into the same folder as where the level file you're working on is to ensure it works as intended.
yeah, I figured that would be the case, but I didn't know if I needed to replace files or not. This really helps

wyldstrykr
Bit
Bit

Postby wyldstrykr » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:12 am

welp the bgm i want to use is 6938 KB untouched

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:35 am

**The devkit should not be modified, and should not be packaged with your submission.**
So, this means that the levels will be tested WITH the devkit?
LEVEL SPOILER AHEAD:
Spoiler: show
I planned to include spdrn timer and plr inputs as a part of my pause menu

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:01 am

The devkit as provided in the first post will be part of the judging package. Please don't make level-specific pause menus because the episode will have its own.

Edited the first post with a new resource I forgot to link earlier: A level name generator you can flick through for ideas.
https://perchance.org/greatestlevelnames2014

amattson7919
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: Compassion is Strength

Postby amattson7919 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:53 am

Can we use any exits, or just stars?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:18 am

amattson7919 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:53 am
Can we use any exits, or just stars?
Any exit type is allowed.

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:19 am

Enjl wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:01 am
The devkit as provided in the first post will be part of the judging package. Please don't make level-specific pause menus because the episode will have its own.

Edited the first post with a new resource I forgot to link earlier: A level name generator you can flick through for ideas.
https://perchance.org/greatestlevelnames2014
ok, thanks for notifying!

TheTrueMarioMaster
Blooper
Blooper

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:03 am

So you can only post one level this time. Guess this means if I somehow manage to finish my original level I can't just make and submit my back up level for I can only do one or the other. Also I have already started working on the code section for my level so I am not sure if I should add in the devkit although reading it over the UI stuff probably would have been helpful for my previous Chocolate Contest level but to late for that. If my original level's code ends up not working out when it comes to the gimmick of the entire level then I'll probably use the devkit for the backup level idea I have planned even though it probably won't need it.

wyldstrykr
Bit
Bit

Postby wyldstrykr » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:15 am

wish that you can submit at up to two levels just like what i see in the chocolate contest before

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:38 pm

wyldstrykr wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:15 am
wish that you can submit at up to two levels just like what i see in the chocolate contest before
Makes me wonder how many of us partook in that one.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:53 pm

wyldstrykr wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:15 am
Yeah I feel you, when planning my contest level, I had two very different ideas that I feel were both pretty good, and I was forced to choose just one of them given this rule, kinda sucks, but eh, is what it is.

Return to “ChoccyCon 2021”