Chocolate Contest 2021 - RULES & QUESTIONS

Subforum for the SMBX Chocolate Level Contest 2021.
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Chocolate Contest 2021 - RULES & QUESTIONS

Postby Emral » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:09 am

The multi-submission rule was kept around for a while to see if it would help deter people making ultra long levels but in practice people just submitted a larger number of ultra long levels.
Now we're trying a clean, single-submission competition again. Quality over quantity. Can always release your cool ideas that don't make the cut as standalone levels.

wyldstrykr
Bit
Bit

Postby wyldstrykr » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:50 am

[/quote]

Yeah I feel you, when planning my contest level, I had two very different ideas that I feel were both pretty good, and I was forced to choose just one of them given this rule, kinda sucks, but eh, is what it is.
[/quote]

except it my case, both bad kek.

KnownStranger
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby KnownStranger » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:19 pm

wyldstrykr wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:50 am
Yeah I feel you, when planning my contest level, I had two very different ideas that I feel were both pretty good, and I was forced to choose just one of them given this rule, kinda sucks, but eh, is what it is.
[/quote]

except it my case, both bad kek.
[/quote]

:roll: Sorry your reply isn't a quote.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:55 pm

I have a question, are diamond, spade, club and heart switches permitted in your levels? It's basically as simple as that since I'm considering putting one in, but as they affect the entire game, I want to be careful about how it's done, like if you implement it a certain way, if it's permitted.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:39 pm

Mosaic wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:55 pm
I have a question, are diamond, spade, club and heart switches permitted in your levels? It's basically as simple as that since I'm considering putting one in, but as they affect the entire game, I want to be careful about how it's done, like if you implement it a certain way, if it's permitted.
Code will be set in place that resets them between loads. They will not be episode-wide. You may use them with that in mind.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:41 pm

Enjl wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:39 pm
Mosaic wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:55 pm
Code will be set in place that resets them between loads. They will not be episode-wide. You may use them with that in mind.
Alright, thanks for the information regarding that.

wyldstrykr
Bit
Bit

Postby wyldstrykr » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:02 pm

question: does disabling pause wont conflict the devkit or the hub in the contest?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:21 am

A minor update to the devkit has been released. Please re-download and update your copy.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lG03QV ... sp=sharing
Remember that the files go into the episode folder-equivalent in order to work.

Changes:
- Rixi notified me that SaveData was broken due to a testing oversight.
- Due to an unexpected amount of people wanting to mingle with the pause menu, the bool "pauseMenuEnabled" has been introduced for purposes of disabling it. This will not disable the in-editor testing menu. Custom pause menus will still brutally be removed after submission, so don't bother.

KnownStranger
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby KnownStranger » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 pm

Just for curiosity. If the Chocolate Contest has an episode, the hub level will have "rooms" like tower of biased and random people saying random facts?

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:55 pm

Enjl, the devkit that they have put makes me confuse a problem like a question please:
If in a level where they have put an NPC The "extraNPCproperties" of MrDoubleA (there are extra adjustments there whatever they have modified the NPC or several), if an NPC modified by the "extraNPCproperties" will be raised with the level but without the devkit used.
Is it possible that the modified NPC is kept when I download the level and put it in the devkit to play it?
because at my level I will use one or more NPCs with modified extraNPCproperties.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:19 am

SuperAlex wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:55 pm
Pardon, but I'm not sure where the confusion stems from. The language in this is difficult to parse. If this reply does not address your issue, please let me know:

When the judges play the levels, they will all be in the same folder, alongside the devkit. The devkit in that folder will be the same as in the first post of this thread, without modifications. You should not upload the devkit with your level because it is redundant. The devkit files uploaded with a submission would just end up being overwritten with those we put in later.

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: How much munchers?
Pronouns: he/him

Postby MrDoubleA » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:48 am

There seems to be an oversight in the devkit: any custom code that wants to accesses basegame SaveData stuff (such as starcoin data) breaks with it, due to the per-level SaveData thing in it.

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: wash your hands and stay at home

Postby Chilly14 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:09 pm

Am I allowed to drop out at any time during the contest? Because I feel like doing so due to a lack of motivation.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:18 am

Chilly14 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:09 pm
Am I allowed to drop out at any time during the contest? Because I feel like doing so due to a lack of motivation.
Sad to hear, but, of course you can. You haven't truly signed up until submitting, and even then you can edit your post in the submissions thread (if you have one) to remove the download before the deadline, to take back your submission.
MrDoubleA wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:48 am
There seems to be an oversight in the devkit: any custom code that wants to accesses basegame SaveData stuff (such as starcoin data) breaks with it, due to the per-level SaveData thing in it.
Just reposting this here from the DM conversation:
If the issue lies with custom libraries' dependencies of SaveData, their references to SaveData ought to be safely changeable to _SaveData with an underscore to have them continue accessing the global save data. That was indeed an oversight on my part, and automated save data lockdown will be less cumbersome in future contests.
If the issue lies with basegame scripts ceasing to function as expected, let me know and I'll sort it out before the judging period.

Jur1121
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: A salt enthusiast

Postby Jur1121 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:25 am

It sounds trivial but I just want to make sure - is it fine to include level code that forces the player character or powerup state to a certain one when entering the level? I know you can mention the preferred characters and powerups in your readme, but how is this done in the Episode? Does it mess anything up if I put the code in myself or is this the job of the Episode developers?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:11 pm

Jur1121 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:25 am
It sounds trivial but I just want to make sure - is it fine to include level code that forces the player character or powerup state to a certain one when entering the level? I know you can mention the preferred characters and powerups in your readme, but how is this done in the Episode? Does it mess anything up if I put the code in myself or is this the job of the Episode developers?
Adding filters yourself is always nice. The episode will just make sure that people can only enter with the preferences people specify, so there won't be any conflicts.

Jur1121
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: A salt enthusiast

Postby Jur1121 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:34 pm

Enjl wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:11 pm
Adding filters yourself is always nice. The episode will just make sure that people can only enter with the preferences people specify, so there won't be any conflicts.

Excellent. Thanks for the response.

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:20 pm

Hey Enjl, can my level name image (section 0, "levelname.png") be included in the submitted level?
Almost 1/3 week to end the submissions phase!

[CyberDelia]
Goomba
Goomba

Postby [CyberDelia] » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:35 am

Hey, pretty new user of SMBX2, tried to design something for this just for fun, and i have a question about the devkit.
I'm trying to put textplus tags in talkmessages to make use of the custom textbox, but the text just shows the unparsed tags and no effects in the message (i put <tremble>Boo!</tremble> in, for example).

Any idea what i may be doing wrong? :D

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:13 pm

[CyberDelia] wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:35 am
Hey, pretty new user of SMBX2, tried to design something for this just for fun, and i have a question about the devkit.
I'm trying to put textplus tags in talkmessages to make use of the custom textbox, but the text just shows the unparsed tags and no effects in the message (i put <tremble>Boo!</tremble> in, for example).

Any idea what i may be doing wrong? :D
Hello! Welcome to the forums!
The problem here is that you didn't set the strength for trembling.

Return to “ChoccyCon 2021”