SMBX2 Tileset Importer (Now Supports Windows 7)

Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.
Sambo
Snifit
Snifit

SMBX2 Tileset Importer (Now Supports Windows 7)

Postby Sambo » Sat May 22, 2021 7:01 pm

SMBX2 Tileset Importer

Have you ever created (or ripped) a tileset for SMBX and found the process of importing it slow and tedious? No way! Same here! Well, my friend, I might have the software just for you.

The days of tedious tileset importing are in the past! No more spending hours cutting your tileset image up into individual tiles! No more painstaking searches through that long list of tiles in PGE's tileset editor! And, no more doing the whole process all over again if you decide to recolor your tileset later!

Features:
  • Automatic creation of all needed .png and .txt files for SMBX
  • Automatic creation of PGE tileset files
  • Automatic image scaling (so you can open an image with 1x1 pixels and import it with 2x2 pixels)
  • Simple, easy-to-use interface for selecting and creating new tiles
  • Access to all TXT configurations available for blocks and BGOs in SMBX
  • Configurable grid size (can be any size between 8 and 128 pixels)
  • Can import both blocks and BGOs to SMBX
  • Save your tileset imports and work on them later or export again with a recolored tileset
  • If you export a tileset, then delete or add tiles to it, the existing tiles will be exported with the same IDs as last time
Go to the GitHub page for more information, including a walkthrough to get you started and a list of features planned for the future.

You can also report a bug or request a new feature.

Downloads:

GitHub
Dropbox

Known Issues:
  • Sizables that are not set to be semisolid will not be rendered in-game. There is a workaround for this, but it requires Lua. Feel free to ask about it in the Codehaus server. A fix for this in SMBX2 is planned.
  • The .exe does not work on Windows 7. However, if you have Windows 7 and Python 3.8, you should be able to clone/download the repo and build an .exe that will work on your machine. If you are able to do this, please send me a copy of your .exe so I can distribute it for other Windows 7 users.
This program is open source and was created using Python. It will only be officially supported on Windows.

Please do not report bugs in this thread. Report them on GitHub instead.

Changelogs:
Spoiler: show

v0.2.1-hotfix
Features:
  • The maximum width and height of the displayed image are now configurable. These options can be accessed through File > Preferences. The default dimensions have also been lowered to 400x300 pixels to resolve issues on smaller screens.
  • The .exe should now work on Windows 7.
Bugfixes:
  • Fixed a crash that was occurring when Pixel Scale was changed after creating tiles.
  • Made the Grid Size entry a bit wider to accommodate differing grid width and height.
  • The grid will now display correctly on images that are in portrait orientation.
v0.2-beta
Features:
  • The grid can now be offset horizontally and/or vertically.
  • The grid can now have padding added between cells.
  • The grid can now have differing width and height. To do this, enter wxh into the Grid Size entry (i.e. 32x16).
  • Added scrollbars for large tileset images. These are activated if the displayed image becomes larger than 800x600 pixels. In addition to the scrollbars, the image can be scrolled vertically with the scroll wheel, and it can be scrolled horizontally with Shift + scroll wheel.
  • Added a Tileset Name option. This changes the name the tileset will have in PGE/Moondust, as well as the name of the generated tileset files.
  • The program can now be built on Linux and MacOS (thanks to some contributions from Wohlstand).
Bugfixes:
  • Exported tiles in the 751-1000 range will now show the correct images in PGE/Moondust.
  • Removed block-26 from the default ID list as it is used by playerblocktop NPCs. Nice one, Redigit.
  • Grid Size now shows the correct value on file load.
  • A prompt will now appear when attempting to close the program with unsaved changes.
  • All blocks will now default to having no item inside, even if the original block had one.
  • The scroll wheel can no longer be used on Comboboxes, because it was causing issues.

Happy tileset making!
Last edited by Sambo on Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: How much munchers?
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SMBX2 Tileset Importer (Beta)

Postby MrDoubleA » Sat May 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Thank you thank you thank you SO MUCH for this!

Blake Izayoi
Flair: Sakuya's Husband
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Blake Izayoi » Sat May 22, 2021 7:28 pm

Such an amazing tool! Thank you so much for making this a thing.

AirShip
Panser
Panser
Flair: The Flying Ghost

Postby AirShip » Sat May 22, 2021 9:28 pm

I've been following the progress through discord, an amazing tool that you have there, very nice.
Finally, I won't have to take 20 minutes to port a tileset.

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Sun May 23, 2021 1:06 am

Thank you so much!
Last edited by Marioman2007 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Mon May 24, 2021 4:17 am

THANK YOU!!!! You have no idea how much this helps.

Sambo
Snifit
Snifit

Re: SMBX2 Tileset Importer (Beta 1 Hotfix)

Postby Sambo » Mon May 24, 2021 12:22 pm

Released a hotfix for the few bugs that were reported. Downloads updated.

KKaruch
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Pronouns: he/him

Postby KKaruch » Tue May 25, 2021 10:20 am

For some reason my windows defender recognize it as a Trojan virus, anyway thank you soo much for this tool! it's already helped me a lot.

MarioLover64
Spike
Spike

Postby MarioLover64 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:45 pm

where does this save to?

SpoonyBardOL
Swooper
Swooper

Postby SpoonyBardOL » Wed May 26, 2021 4:40 am

Looks like it exports to the same directory you loaded the image from? Adding the ability to select an export directory might be a good addition for the future.

Also I made up a template image that contains most every tileset piece I can think of, along with one sizeable, some semisolids, and a few BGOs, just to use as a starting point for making new tilesets.

MarioLover64
Spike
Spike

Postby MarioLover64 » Wed May 26, 2021 8:36 am

SpoonyBardOL wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:40 am
Looks like it exports to the same directory you loaded the image from? Adding the ability to select an export directory might be a good addition for the future.

Also I made up a template image that contains most every tileset piece I can think of, along with one sizeable, some semisolids, and a few BGOs, just to use as a starting point for making new tilesets.

Well the files arent on my phone where the image was

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:38 pm

Oh, if only this existed 10 years ago

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Fri May 28, 2021 10:20 am

MarioLover64 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:36 am
I suggest not using this for stuff on a Phone and rather use this on a Computer... Is there a specific reason you have them on the Phone rather than on a PC which is easier to be used for these things?

MarioLover64
Spike
Spike

Postby MarioLover64 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:21 am

Idunn wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:20 am
MarioLover64 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:36 am
I suggest not using this for stuff on a Phone and rather use this on a Computer... Is there a specific reason you have them on the Phone rather than on a PC which is easier to be used for these things?
Was editing it on phone, too lazy to move it over

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Fri May 28, 2021 10:23 am

Well maybe don't be lazy about that? These things surely don't take long to drag over or mover over IMO.

Sambo
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Sambo » Fri May 28, 2021 8:06 pm

MarioLover64 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:21 am
Was editing it on phone, too lazy to move it over
You got the app to run on a phone? Or did you just plug the phone into your computer and open an image from it? If it's the former, I'm somewhat impressed. In either case, I'd recommend just copying the image to your PC first as Idunn suggested. If you export to your phone, you'll have to take the generated files off the phone to have any use for them anyway, so it's not as if it's saving you any effort to leave the original image on the phone in the first place.

Sambo
Snifit
Snifit

Re: SMBX2 Tileset Importer (Beta 2)

Postby Sambo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:46 pm

Beta 2 is out now!

This version mainly adds improvements to the grid. It also fixes many bugs and addresses many issues that users were encountering. Thanks to everyone who submitted bug reports and feature requests for the feedback! All download links have been updated.

Changelog:

Features:
  • The grid can now be offset horizontally and/or vertically.
  • The grid can now have padding added between cells.
  • The grid can now have differing width and height. To do this, enter wxh into the Grid Size entry (i.e. 32x16).
  • Added scrollbars for large tileset images. These are activated if the displayed image becomes larger than 800x600 pixels. In addition to the scrollbars, the image can be scrolled vertically with the scroll wheel, and it can be scrolled horizontally with Shift + scroll wheel.
  • Added a Tileset Name option. This changes the name the tileset will have in PGE/Moondust, as well as the name of the generated tileset files.
  • The program can now be built on Linux and MacOS (thanks to some contributions from Wohlstand).
Bugfixes:
  • Exported tiles in the 751-1000 range will now show the correct images in PGE/Moondust.
  • Removed block-26 from the default ID list as it is used by playerblocktop NPCs. Nice one, Redigit.
  • Grid Size now shows the correct value on file load.
  • A prompt will now appear when attempting to close the program with unsaved changes.
  • All blocks will now default to having no item inside, even if the original block had one.
  • The scroll wheel can no longer be used on Comboboxes, because it was causing issues.

Beta 2 Hotfix

This hotfix resolves a major bug that was discovered shortly after release, so it is strongly recommended that you get it right away. It also adds support for Windows 7.

Features:
  • The maximum width and height of the displayed image are now configurable. These options can be accessed through File > Preferences. The default dimensions have also been lowered to 400x300 pixels to resolve issues on smaller screens.
  • The .exe should now work on Windows 7.
Bugfixes:
  • Fixed a crash that was occurring when Pixel Scale was changed after creating tiles.
  • Made the Grid Size entry a bit wider to accommodate differing grid width and height.
  • The grid will now display correctly on images that are in portrait orientation.

Sambo
Snifit
Snifit

Re: SMBX2 Tileset Importer (Now Supports Windows 7)

Postby Sambo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:18 am

Beta 2 Hotfix 2

Changelog:

Bugfixes:
  • Opening a .tileset.ini file created in a version before v0.2 should no longer cause a crash on image resize or tileset export.

cuB_e
Hoopster
Hoopster
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby cuB_e » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:23 pm

It is impossible to state how great this tool is. You have literally revolutionized the very art of porting Tilesets into SMBX. This is amazing.

Rixitic
Spike
Spike

Postby Rixitic » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:36 pm

Sizables that are not set to be semisolid will not be rendered in-game. There is a workaround for this, but it requires Lua. Feel free to ask about it in the Codehaus server. A fix for this in SMBX2 is planned.
So I just spent a couple hours trying to implement said workaround, and... it turns out it's not needed? At least for passthrough sizables. Just setting the following properties in the block-n.txt seems to work in in the latest release of SMBX2, no rendering issues or anything.

semisolid = false
passthrough = true
sizable = true

Return to “Graphics”