smwMap.lua (v1.2.1) - The Levels are using Levels!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: smwMap.lua (v1.2.1) - The Levels are using Levels!

Postby deice » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:05 pm

tangeruse wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:20 am
The potential is excellent but It's soooooo tedious to use
is it really? i've only done some light testing with it but i don't see what's so tedious about it. maybe creating paths could be streamlined with an editor plugin, but i'm not very well versed with pge plugins so i'm not sure (and even then the paths are really not that bad as-is)

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Postby tangy » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:54 pm

compared to making a vanilla world map, kinda yeah

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:47 pm

tangeruse wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:54 pm
welllll if you wanna use the vanilla overworld there's another library i can suggest ahaha
while there definitely is an added degree of complexity (as is to be expected, even making a vanilla world map with this degree of customization gets pretty daunting), i would say that "kinda" is a somewhat more accurate a descriptor than "soooooo tedious" (unless maybe it's an edge case where you're making an overworld for a 100-level episode by yourself? who would be crazy enough for that though lol)

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: How much munchers?
Pronouns: he/him

Postby MrDoubleA » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:00 pm

deice wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:05 pm
tangeruse wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:20 am
The potential is excellent but It's soooooo tedious to use
is it really? i've only done some light testing with it but i don't see what's so tedious about it. maybe creating paths could be streamlined with an editor plugin, but i'm not very well versed with pge plugins so i'm not sure (and even then the paths are really not that bad as-is)
Not possible, unfortunately. Editor plugins were never finished at all.

Blake Izayoi
Flair: Sakuya's Husband
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Blake Izayoi » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:13 am

tangeruse wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:54 pm
Personally I'd say that while smwMap is a bit more difficult and tedious to use, the payoff you get from it is absolutely worth it. You can create some really creative things with it.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:41 am

Ok, so while trying to deal with paths in SMWMap, I encountered a problem that is so annoying... (I updated the script to the latest version btw)

So, normally, in this picture, when you enter the gate in the first image, it should lead you to the underground portion of the map in the second image:

https://imgur.com/OgifWnH
https://imgur.com/gk657CX

But for some reason, it leads me to this area in the third picture, which cannot be accessed by any means right now (The map is on a heavy WIP status because of this... bug (?))

https://imgur.com/CWoUiwL

I really don't know how is this happening... I set all the things right, I think. (If you need me to sent the path coords of the path object below the gate in underground, I can.
Last edited by Suckerman7 GM on Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: How much munchers?

Postby MrDoubleA » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:16 pm

Suckerman7 GM wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:41 am
Ok, so while trying to deal with paths in SMWMap, I encountered a problem that is so annoying... (I updated the script to the latest version btw)

So, normally, in this picture, when you enter the gate in the first image, it should lead you to the underground portion of the map in the second image:

But for some reason, it leads me to this area in the third picture, which cannot be accessed by any means right now (The map is on a heavy WIP status because of this... bug (?))

I really don't know how is this happening... I set all the things right, I think. (If you need me to sent the path coords of the path object below the gate in underground, I can.
Looks like your images for it aren't working.

Tsylon1078
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: What the dog doin
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Tsylon1078 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:23 pm

I hope someone makes a tutorial on this cause i really want to use this

Blake Izayoi
Flair: Sakuya's Husband
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Blake Izayoi » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:55 pm

Tsylon1078 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:23 pm
I hope someone makes a tutorial on this cause i really want to use this
smwMap.lua comes with an example map! You can try looking around it to get a general idea of what you're supposed to do.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:55 pm

MrDoubleA wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:16 pm
Suckerman7 GM wrote:

Yeah, my apologies. Discord just trolled me with the images, but I edited my post so you can see what's going on.

I really need help on this, because this is the sole thing that's preventing me from continuing on the map rework.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:50 pm

Suckerman7 GM wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:55 pm
Yeah, my apologies. Discord just trolled me with the images, but I edited my post so you can see what's going on.

I really need help on this, because this is the sole thing that's preventing me from continuing on the map rework.
i don't know about OP, but i myself still can't see any of the images. i'd suggest just using imgur or something if postimg is giving you trouble.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:14 pm

deice wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:50 pm
Suckerman7 GM wrote:

i don't know about OP, but i myself still can't see any of the images. i'd suggest just using imgur or something if postimg is giving you trouble.
Urgh... They are gone too. This is the last time I will use Discord attachments.

KurttheKing
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: Certified Nerd

Postby KurttheKing » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:26 pm

Can I make an intro level that loads before the World Map does and how? (BTW, I've seen it done in STTB3 so I know it's possible somehow)
Also, how do you/what do you use to make Mega Tiles? (What Software or Technique to be specific) Is it possible to change what Area of the Map you're in via going into a level? (for example, at the end of the level, your character gets fired out of a cannon into a new location on the Map) And finally, can a Path be made of multiple different Types of Paths? (Normal Path followed by a Bridge Path and another Normal Path) P.S., I'm TERRIBLE at Scripting

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:01 pm

Suckerman7 GM wrote:
MrDoubleA wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:16 pm
Suckerman7 GM wrote:

So even with image links to Imgur, they do not show. I guess the image tag is broken somehow. So I changed them to embed url links instead. I hope this can at least be helpful.

Alexx0612
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Alexx0612 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:19 pm

Why can't I go back along the paths?

Torterra18
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Torterra18 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:00 pm

Nice script, but a documentation would make stuff easier to figure out

MarioFan171
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: #АиҟәаАбынҳәараАхьӡыррын

Postby MarioFan171 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:18 am

Thanks, I'll Use this in my upcoming science-themed SMBX Episode

But i have 2 Questions:
1. Can i create custom submaps and how could i?
2. Is there any way to make pixel-aligned paths just like replicating the original SMW Experience

AToMIC
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: I'm here

Postby AToMIC » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:42 pm

Apologies for the bump.

This is a great library. It is in my top 5 for all of them and I'm sure many others would agree. I mean, come on, it puts the legacy map editor (severely outdated) to shame. Now for the most part this library is pretty easy to use. Linking levels, warps, and using NPCs/BGOs/Blocks as map assets is a breeze.

And then there's path splines...

As much as I like this library I can say without a doubt that the X,Y spline system for pathing is absolutely infuriating to work with. Now 25% of this may just come from my own stupidity, but in the future if this library ever receives updates could we possibly ever get an option for paths like that of legacy paths? With a few prefab curves and diagonals perhaps?

The spline system in no way makes the library bad but I can see it being a hassle some people are not willing to deal with, which would be a shame because besides the spline system, this library is phenomenal.

Mystic
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: Haiiiiii! :3

Postby Mystic » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:22 pm

When I tried using it, I got an error message in SMBX2. It said something along the lines of "npc-751: attempt to call field 'setObjSettings' (a nil value). I found out that npc-751 is the player spawnpoint, so I opened up the npc-751.lua file, and played around until I found the issue was in the line "smwMap.setObjSettings(npcID,{". After that, I'm lost. Could I get some help with this? I'm a beginner and would appreciate it a lot :D

Ibaka
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Nothing

Postby Ibaka » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:00 pm

p cool, but I still don’t get the splines and points

Return to “LunaLua”