Play SMBX2 on Mac!

Share guides you have written for SMBX, and related tools here.
Superfrancybros
Bit
Bit

Play SMBX2 on Mac!

Postby Superfrancybros » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:13 am

HI!
Today looking how to play SMBX2 on Mac Os X!
1: Download Playonmac 2: Download SMBX2 Installer at official site
3: Run playonmac
4: Click on configure
5: Create a new virtual drive using the installer (if say error don't worry)
6: Now click on "run a .exe file in this virtual drive" and open the installer
7: After the installation go to components
8: Search and install this components:
d3dx10
quartz
vb6run (all of this in installation say error, don't worry does work!)
9: now click again "open a .exe file in this virtual drive" and open smbx (Note: no open the lancher: does not work! Open Lunaloader or PGE)
10: Enjoy!

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Play SMBX2 on Mac!

Postby Wohlstand » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:31 pm

Note that this is valid for macOS up to the 10.14 version. Since macOS 10.15 this will won't work as the whole 32-bit libraries set got killed and Wine won't work here. However, the paid Crossover thing had developed a workaround that would get SMBX2 work :thinking:

Also, the native macOS build of the PGE Project toolkit installed separately will work with SMBX2: after dropping the PGE directory from the DMG into Applications, open the "for_linux_and_macos" directory at SMBX2 directory in the Terminal, and run the "./install.sh" script, it will prepare and install the compatible config pack that will be pointed into the actual SMBX2 installation. [Note: if you do use PlayOnMac, please run the terminal from the Settings of the virtual environment directly, to make sure the proper Wine toolchain will be assigned].

Then, run the native version of PGE Editor and select the "SMBX2 Integration [Wine integration]" config pack. The thing will load all resources and will start the work. You can open levels and edit them here in a place. You also can run level tests directly, however, before to start you need to open the "Test -> LunaTester -> Wine settings..." menu and choose the compatible Wine configuration (if you had the PlayOnMac, please select the proper toolchain from it and try to run its settings. If it got working, you will be able to run the game then). So, after you changed the settings, try to start the level test from here. The game should start and work. So, the macOS natively built Editor is able to run and communicate with Wine-ran LunaTester easily. That I got possible since Spring 2020 when I majorly reworked the testing sub-system.

SPEEDIE
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: u fucking wot

Postby SPEEDIE » Fri May 14, 2021 4:36 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:31 pm
Note that this is valid for macOS up to the 10.14 version. Since macOS 10.15 this will won't work as the whole 32-bit libraries set got killed and Wine won't work here. However, the paid Crossover thing had developed a workaround that would get SMBX2 work :thinking:

Also, the native macOS build of the PGE Project toolkit installed separately will work with SMBX2: after dropping the PGE directory from the DMG into Applications, open the "for_linux_and_macos" directory at SMBX2 directory in the Terminal, and run the "./install.sh" script, it will prepare and install the compatible config pack that will be pointed into the actual SMBX2 installation. [Note: if you do use PlayOnMac, please run the terminal from the Settings of the virtual environment directly, to make sure the proper Wine toolchain will be assigned].

Then, run the native version of PGE Editor and select the "SMBX2 Integration [Wine integration]" config pack. The thing will load all resources and will start the work. You can open levels and edit them here in a place. You also can run level tests directly, however, before to start you need to open the "Test -> LunaTester -> Wine settings..." menu and choose the compatible Wine configuration (if you had the PlayOnMac, please select the proper toolchain from it and try to run its settings. If it got working, you will be able to run the game then). So, after you changed the settings, try to start the level test from here. The game should start and work. So, the macOS natively built Editor is able to run and communicate with Wine-ran LunaTester easily. That I got possible since Spring 2020 when I majorly reworked the testing sub-system.
I rarely use macOS anymore in favor of Linux however I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk_IOfIeZrY
and the user is definitely using 10.15.
So it should work. I have 11.0 and 10.15 both on a partition so I might give it a try.
This is with Wineskin though, so idk.

For now, either use another OS (Linux/Windows), use a vm, use 10.14 or try this hacky method.
or i guess just dont play smbx2 i guess that works too lol

wait just realized this might have been what you were talking about, whatever.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア

Postby Wohlstand » Tue May 25, 2021 6:24 am

Yeah, as I explained there a different thing needed for macOS 10.15 and newer.
SPEEDIE wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:36 pm
or i guess just dont play smbx2 i guess that works too lol
Anyway, as an unrelated alternative, for newer macOS (include modern ARM-based things) I do have the cross-platform version of SMBX called TheXTech, it works natively on newer macs and has native support for Apple M1. You can use the standalone native macOS version of Moondust Editor (PGE Editor) here, it has the full integration with TheXTech and it can run level tests here directly.

Return to “Guides”