Super Alex Album of Levels

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Super Alex Album of Levels

Postby SuperAlex » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:24 pm

Heya! Guys Welcome to:

This NEW album was made by me but I have to complete using all the stamps on each page through levels that I create.
Click on the images to download the levels.

Since BETA 5 was released, I decided to separate them into their SMBX2 compatibilities.

Beta 4 Compatibility Levels

::::::::PAGE 1::::::::
Hard Passage Tundra

Stamp #1: Ancient Bridge in Disguise.
Spoiler: show
-->4th place in Dioramacon 2021
-->Medal to most Slowdown.
Stamp #2: Farmyard
Stamp #3: The Castle of Vanilla + Chocolate (Fusion)
Stamp #4: The Ancient Ruins in the Clouds
Stamp #5: A Booring Level
October 31st 2022
Stamp #6: Where to Thwomp?
March 30th 2023
Stamp #7: Adoorable Wooden Pass

Beta 5 Compatibility Levels

::::::::PAGE 2::::::::
Beginning of the Care

February 8th 2024
Stamp #8: Mazes from the Unknown
My First submitted Beta 5 level, but I started making in Beta 4 Months ago...
Inspired by Emr Elshamy - The Maze

Credits are inside the Downloads... I hope to Enjoy the New ones soon!
Last edited by SuperAlex on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:34 pm, edited 10 times in total.

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Re: Super Alex Album of Levels

Postby SuperAlex » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Note: Ancient Bridge in Disguise Reconstruct version was available...

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:35 am

Nice levels I really liked the 1st one, you can glide so slowly!
By the way, where are the credits?

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:51 pm

In Ancient Bridge in Disguise 2 levels (Normal and Reconstruct):
CREDITS:

Code: Select all

Level Name: Ancient Bridge in Disguise
by: Super Alex
Collectible stars: 1 SMB3 Star
Player Characters: Mario and Luigi
Diorama: "SuperAlex - Diorama.png"
Credits:
-Music from Kevin Mcleod
-Graphics by Me (Super Alex)
-Water Currents and particles by Waddle or SnoruntPyro (but edited by me)
-SMM2 Twister by Core
-Sound Effects by Youtube.
-Special Thanks to Enjil (for the currents Lua code)

"A inspiration from SMW VLDC11 level"

LEVEL THEME:

A BRIDGE THAT HE JUST SEEN IS SOMETHING OLD TO MOST. A PLAYER 
TAKES IT AS IF OTHER PEOPLE SEE IT AND HIDE A TERRIBLE SECRET. 
THEREFORE, YOU SHOULD RESEARCH AND HELP THE PLAYER GET THROUGH 
THIS AMAZING LEVEL AND BE CAREFUL WITH THE BULLET BILLS.
In Farmyard CREDITS:

Code: Select all

Evan'F for the Farmyard Graphics
Mr DoubleA for the warp transition

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:37 pm

I was originally going to play both of those levels but I was tired out of my mind playing Ancient Bridge in Disguise, so that is the only one I'm going to review. I might come to the other one later, we'll see how it goes.

Ancient Bridge in Disguise

Boy, where do I start!? Ok, level design. Under normal circumstances, the level design would be ok at best. This level has plenty of moments where first-time players would be unable to avoid taking damage, namely the Football Chucking Chuck and the place with the Boomerang Bro and the Hammer Bro. There shouldn't be much going for this level. But these aren't normal circumstances I'm afraid, this level uses wind mechanics! Yay! Look, I'm not going to say that wind mechanics are bad, but they are hard to work around, and especially these ones since for some reason not only do they slow the player instead of pushing them (most of the time), but they also slow down falling for some physics-law defying reason.

This brings another issue. When the wind actually affects the player its jump height is also manipulated because ... why? I get that moving slower makes the jump height lower, but that's why the level makes the running speed slower in the first place right? Adjusting the player height is another hazard in its own class seeing as 70% of the jumps are barely possible with both the wind AND jump height adjustment.

For some reason, there is also a total of 3 Twisters in the entirety of this level, which is a shame because they could've been used for some really unique obstacles. Like keeping track with the Twisters moving from one end of a section to another, where losing it means falling to a pit.

Then there's the boss. We have the epidemy of originality: Mouser. This boss is just as overplayed as SMB3 Bowser, if not more. And this setup drives it home too, seeing as the only two strategies the player can take are to either jump to the Mouser and filter all of its bombs right then and there to hit it or to casually wait for the bombs to come your way in the rotating platform because waiting is a fun game.

To finish let's talk about the ending cutscene, which is funny. In fact, the entire dialogue provided by Toad is funny, and so is the scream at the end. There's just one problem. Requiring the player to stand in the middle column puts him/her in an unnecessarily precarious predicament seeing as not knowing when the dialogue stops if the player were to jump from one of the columns to that one when the dialogue stops the wind will continue to move the player shoving it off the column and towards death. Experiencing this myself I can say it without a shadow of a doubt, it was frustrating.

Scores
Design: 15 / 30 [If I can say something is that the level stayed consistently annoying. There was also a lot of missed potential.]
Aesthetics: 20 / 20 [Clearly the area where this level performed best. No complaints here.]
Gameplay: 16 / 40 [Both the mechanics, the tight jumps, and the first-time player-killing scenarios really play against this level.]
Originality: 6 / 10 [Wind is a mechanic that while used plenty, the way it was implemented here was quite unique. Just remember that taking from the player usually doesn't bode well for the playing experience.]

Overall: 57 / 100
Honestly, I'm more disappointed than angry at this point. Because in hindsight this level had plenty of potential making the final result all the sadder. But hey, if there's something I can't take away from this level is that it tried to do something, it wanted to be something. It just happened to fall a little flat, but there are worst ways this level could've gone. I'll keep a tab on this thread and see where you go from here.
Last edited by Fuyu on Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:51 pm

Fuyu, you are absolutely right I have the worst record in my first level submitedd. but you already played the same level but reconstruct (Check the 2nd image in ABID)? and how would you rate?
Levels coming soon:
-> Lakitu Castle
-> Ancient Ruins in the Clouds
-> etc ...

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:19 pm

It's hard to call it 'reconstruct' when all the difference it makes is removing the wind and adding another layer to the background. Plus without the wind, all the setups on this level have broken since they were made with it in mind.

I really think you had something special going for this level. The main issue was the implementation of the wind, it felt clunky, and combined with the jumps the player was forced to make it became tiresome and tedious. I think it'd be a waste to throw the ideas you poured so earnestly into this level into the trash bin, that's why I think that if you're willing to 'fix' this level you should do it from zero, and most importantly try to cook up a wind mechanic that feels more natural and less forced.

I recently cooked up a wind code with the help of two friends I'm using on one of my side projects, but it took quite a bit of trial and error. Try playing games with wind effect and see how they work, what they do, and try to replicate it in SMBX. If coding's not your forte asking for help on discodehaus could yield the answers you need. You'll have my support whenever you show me something new here so don't let up!

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Re: Super Alex Album of Levels (New Level)

Postby SuperAlex » Wed May 12, 2021 4:52 pm

Check the First post. There's a new level.
it's very unfair to pass...

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Thu May 13, 2021 2:00 pm

Archived
Last edited by Archived on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Wed May 26, 2021 9:00 pm

There's a new level.
Clue: Don't you dare say you hate checkpoint warping or music. It is part of the most complex level.

Added in 11 minutes 38 seconds:
Eclipsed wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:00 pm
SuperAlex wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:52 pm
Check the First post. There's a new level.
it's very unfair to pass...
Maybe if it's an unfair level, you should actually change the quality of the level.
Please take feedback from other people if you want to make levels people will enjoy playing.
Oh no, Eclipsed, What means Using another user without permission if I am using my username.
I want to create this level but In the Color Blue, Purple, Red, (Replacing the level The castle of Weirdos)

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Thu May 27, 2021 9:16 pm

Archived
Last edited by Archived on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Thu May 27, 2021 10:33 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:16 pm
SuperAlex wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:12 pm
There's a new level.

Oh no, Eclipsed, What means Using another user without permission if I am using my username.
I want to create this level but In the Color Blue, Purple, Red, (Replacing the level The castle of Weirdos)
Remove Waddle from your level, he doesn't want to be included in it. Thank you.
WEEEEEE I learn A lesson again, and I Updated my level 3(Castle of Weirdos to Castle of Vanilla and Chocolate (Fusion)
And New level 4

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:27 pm

heya
NEW LEVEL NEW LEVEL
Its October made in Haloween theme
Check please everyone

lan vuhoang
Bit
Bit

Postby lan vuhoang » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:18 pm

Could you bundle them into a single download so that I could drop them into the "Levels" folder in my episodes folder for quick access with SMBX Level Player instead of individually downloading, opening and dragging each one?

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:19 pm

GUYS!!! WAKE UP! WAKE UP! There's a New Stamp Collected
Stamp#6: Where to Thwomp?
Good news: It's an existing level + 2 Exits
Bad News: Music in the last Section was a bit Awkward
If you want to change pls. DM me

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:20 pm

March 30, 2023, even at the end of this month, I finally made another level, now the first one that uses Vanilla Texture but the mechanics are very operational and confusing so you have to be careful.
This level is called: ...... Adorable Wooden Pass
viewtopic.php?p=384491#p384491

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:33 pm

Hello Guys Since Beta 5 was released, I decided to change the image of my level album and make My first level compatible with this new Beta. So at this Level, you can find a dimension that is not so equal...

Return to “Levels”