Unusuality (DEMO 2 OUT!)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
EeveeEuphoria
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: possums good
Pronouns: it/its, she/her

Unusuality (DEMO 2 OUT!)

Postby EeveeEuphoria » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:28 am

This is a SMBX2 project that has files dating back to 2017, but I know I must've worked on some of it before then, so let's say I've been working on and off of this since 2016! It's been through a lot of different changes over the past 4-5 years I've been working on it, initially being conceived for SMBX-38A, and moving over to SMBX2 quickly after I learned of its existence!

I've been working real hard on it as of late, due to the fact I've learned how to use lua via modding Sonic Robo Blast 2 (a different, yet also cool fan game, that uses it's own funky form of lua!), and as such I've been able to modify this game to my liking, giving this episode it's own unique flavor. I currently have plans on releasing a demo of this sometime before February ends!

Features
  • Infinite lives system, player will instead lose coins on death! That's relevant because...
  • There's a shop system in this! You can spend coins on power-ups/temporary powers, and star coins on permanent upgrades!
  • A custom pause menu is in place, allowing options to be changed, and viewing current progress in the episode!
  • Upgrades include a costume changing door, and a character swapper door, and two reserved items!
  • There are currently 25 collectable stars in the second demo!
  • 2 worlds are currently complete, with an unfinished 3rd world being accessible too!
  • There's currently 2 hidden levels you can discover!
Future Plans
  • Finishing World 3, and figuring out what World 4 and so on should be like! I think I'll re-use an older idea I had in mind for World 4, dunno yet.
  • Determining what to do from World 4 and onward.
Screenshots

Hub World
Spoiler: show
World 1, AKA Toad Town!
Another section of Toad Town!
Yet another section, displaying a level title, star count, and star-coin counter!
A functioning shop system, that accepts coins and star coins, either for upgrades or for power-ups!
A peak at World 2, called "Bridge Land" for the moment!

Levels
Carved Woodlands! A simple lil level that's been in the works since 2017!
Sky Lake! This shows off the title card system I have implemented!
Volcanic Run, a level with an optional 8 red-coin challenge, with lava following closely behind the player!
Factory Forest, a level created by a friend, Renhoex!
Waterfall Haven, where waterfalls are aplenty!

Credits can be found here! (and also in the download, under "_Credits & Notices.txt" file!)

Last edited by EeveeEuphoria on Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Castle Insania (demo coming real soon!)

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:58 am

An interesting project, I must say! I like playing games where you can retry as many times as you want and of course, ingame shops are great too!

I'll be following this project!

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:42 am

Agree with Suckerman7 GM, but you should read this for posting screenshots.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:44 pm

The hud looks really nice.

4 years and 20% progress? Were there some redesigns already?

EeveeEuphoria
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby EeveeEuphoria » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:49 pm

Cedur wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:44 pm
4 years and 20% progress? Were there some redesigns already?
Yep! For instance, there are a few levels that have been redesigned multiple times; the general layout is the same, but I kept re-doing them due to the fact I was basically new to making levels at the time. The levels used to be very spacious with not much in-between areas, and I've learnt over time that that's...well, boring.

It's also been a long time that I've been working on this due to just flatout not working on it for long periods of time lol, not much work can be done if I'm not interested in it. I just get sudden sparks of "oh hey it's that one episode i've been slowly working on", I work on it, then I put it down for awhile. This spark came from the fact I can lua code now, so I was like "oh hey i can make this look unique and give it features to make it stand out" :p

EeveeEuphoria
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Re: Unusuality (demo coming real soon!)

Postby EeveeEuphoria » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:56 pm

Hey y'all, just a quick lil update that this has a new title! "Castle Insania" used to be the name, but now it's "Unusuality"!

It was previously called "Castle Insania" because it primarily took place around Peach's Castle, but as of right now it's just serving as a decoration piece for the hub world. So, this name was chosen, because of the...well, strange things this has in place for the player!

Also I whipped up a lil logo in about a half hour, just cuz I felt like it :p
Anywho, progress is coming along nicely, the final few levels that I need to finish up should be ready real soon, and I'll post an update when the demo is finally released!

EDIT: I forgot how it's actually spelled, so I had to quickly edit this to say "Unusuality", not "Unusality" :p
Maybe I should pay attention to my browser's spell-check next time.

EeveeEuphoria
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Re: Unusuality (DEMO v1 OUT!)

Postby EeveeEuphoria » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:56 pm

Hey y'all, Demo v1 is now finally released! Check it out with the download link at the bottom of the first post! Make sure to extract it in the episodes folder with it's own path!

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Marioman2007 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:36 am

Are you using onTick for drawing the images of red coin counter? If yes then replace that with onDraw, Because the drawing will disappear while the game is paused or talking to an NPC.

BTW, the project is awesome and I really liked that Syobon Action Level.

smwturtlequest64
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: me video game
Pronouns: he

Postby smwturtlequest64 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:54 pm

can you help me out i can,t upload me posts i made on smbx2 evrey time i tried to posted it i got an error and nonthing worked at all. can you help me... please!

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:54 am

smwturtlequest64 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:54 pm
can you help me out i can,t upload me posts i made on smbx2 evrey time i tried to posted it i got an error and nonthing worked at all. can you help me... please!

can you improve your writing and articulate yourself better? is this related to the thread? what's the error?

EeveeEuphoria
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Re: Unusuality (DEMO 2 OUT!)

Postby EeveeEuphoria » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:42 pm

Hey everyone, been a little while since I've updated this, since I haven't really been working on this. But now I've got enough done to release a second demo for this! World 2 is completable (with only 2 levels that I think could be added at this point), a third world is accessible with a couple levels, and a whole lot of changes are in place! A custom loading/pause screen is available, local co-op should be playable this time around, and there's a couple new upgrades to find!
I'm hoping to have a third demo out before too long, it takes awhile to think up of creative level ideas y'know? Have fun!

EDIT: Made a hotfix to fix a bug w/ the pause menu, and adjusted the stars required for the boss of World 2.

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Marioman2007 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:07 am

In the 1st demo, the game played fine
but the game lags in the 2nd demo.
See in the link below.
https://imgur.com/a/9EqyLgb
(I have activated the Lag-O-Meter in case its useful)

EeveeEuphoria
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby EeveeEuphoria » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:54 pm

marioman2007 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:07 am
See in the link below.
Went ahead and looked into this and identified some areas where I can reduce lag, so I went ahead and did that. Expect an update to the dropbox download in a couple minutes after I post this! Should've maybe paid attention to the detailed report the F3 key provides.

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Marioman2007 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:32 am

EeveeEuphoria wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:54 pm
marioman2007 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:07 am
See in the link below.
Went ahead and looked into this and identified some areas where I can reduce lag, so I went ahead and did that. Expect an update to the dropbox download in a couple minutes after I post this! Should've maybe paid attention to the detailed report the F3 key provides.
Working fine now!
btw there is an odd thing with the pause menu, I had 0 coins but still I can restart a level-

EeveeEuphoria
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby EeveeEuphoria » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:08 pm

Ah dangit, I forgot to actually include the code to check for that somehow. I'll push another hotfix for this soon, I hope that'll be the last update to this lol
EDIT: Should be uploaded now!
marioman2007 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:32 am
btw there is an odd thing with the pause menu, I had 0 coins but still I can restart a level-

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Marioman2007 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:38 pm

EeveeEuphoria wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:08 pm
Ah dangit, I forgot to actually include the code to check for that somehow. I'll push another hotfix for this soon, I hope that'll be the last update to this lol
EDIT: Should be uploaded now!
marioman2007 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:32 am
That's why beta testing is important.

Sluggish
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Sluggish » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:56 pm

WOW! I played the demo and I think it looks great so far! The shop is fun and the star coins are well hidden. I'm just curious as to how you made the permanent upgrades, permanent. I'm trying to implement a system in my project where you unlock an ability at some point, which lets you break certain blocks at P speed, but I have no clue how to make it permanent.

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Cuteness overload <3
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Luna » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:18 pm

Sluggish wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:56 pm
WOW! I played the demo and I think it looks great so far! The shop is fun and the star coins are well hidden. I'm just curious as to how you made the permanent upgrades, permanent. I'm trying to implement a system in my project where you unlock an ability at some point, which lets you break certain blocks at P speed, but I have no clue how to make it permanent.
Probably a lot of lua code. Sadly, the only ways of permanent upgrades that are available without code are SMW stars and Switch palaces.

Return to “Projects”