Super Basic Mario Editor

This is the place for video games!
aero
Palom
Palom

Re: Visual Super Mario Bros. X (VSMBX) Thread

Postby aero » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:14 am

Luigifan2010 wrote:point of completion i guess to whenever he decides he's ready to release a stable build.
This. When everything is implemented and not bugged to hell, VSMBX will be "finished," but more updates and content will come and the project will still be "finished."

zxcv
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: They/She

Postby zxcv » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:37 pm

Please add online mode!

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:26 pm

Prado wrote:Please add online mode!
1) The progress isn't at that phase I think, offline has to function well before online would even get to be started
2) I think it already has been suggested

Also, nice to see the progress going on.
About Common Sense antivirus: my brain can't handle it, neither my pc.

zxcv
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: They/She

Postby zxcv » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:17 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Prado wrote:Please add online mode!
1) The progress isn't at that phase I think, offline has to function well before online would even get to be started
2) I think it already has been suggested
When I said online mode,i was meanning in the future,not now,it's obvious that the offline must work good before anything online is added.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:40 pm

Note for the next update, control settings will work differently. Instead of typing " " to use the Space bar for a control you will now have to type "Space" in its place. As a consequence of the new method used, any key that isn't one character can now have a word used to use it as a key ("Enter"/"Return", "Space", "Backspace" etc.) Idk why anyone would need to use a word other than "Space," but the option is there.

Also, the controls will be displayed in the debug window.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:57 am

wait it was possible to change the controls before?

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:42 pm

Axiom wrote:wait it was possible to change the controls before?
Yes, since 1.0.1.0 it was possible. It's in the Test Settings window where you can get to them.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:57 am

I've started looking into implementing support for PGE's lvlx files. Currently I am just loading in section sizes for testing, and I've got a system going. This update may be rather big, and could be 1.0.3 rather than 1.0.2.1 so it may take a while again.

So there's that and some more additions, tweaks, and fixes to look out for.

Also shout out to Wohlstand for being helpful, and having great documentation!

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:17 am

AeroMatter wrote:I've started looking into implementing support for PGE's lvlx files. Currently I am just loading in section sizes for testing, and I've got a system going. This update may be rather big, and could be 1.0.3 rather than 1.0.2.1 so it may take a while again.

So there's that and some more additions, tweaks, and fixes to look out for.

Also shout out to Wohlstand for being helpful, and having great documentation!
At first I'l port PGE File formats library to C#, but you will be able use it with VB.NET too: I will make it buildable as *.dll, and you can connect it to your solution and link with your project. Anyway if you need to add some specific parameters, feel free to append it into Write/read functions of LVLX file part and rebuild that DLL

andreepika11233
Swooper
Swooper

Postby andreepika11233 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:20 pm

So aeromatter, will you work on the player system after you finished all npcs of smbx?

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:52 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:I know the format for the levels isn't going to be the same as SMBX's, but Aero, are are the lvl files generated from VSMBX going to be editable in a text editor like the ones in SMBX, or are they only able to be edited from the editor...
yes, you can do that now. last i checked the format was very similar anyway
[rimg]http://i.imgur.com/Di0suQ8.png[/rimg]

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Axiom wrote:
SnifitGuy wrote:I know the format for the levels isn't going to be the same as SMBX's, but Aero, are are the lvl files generated from VSMBX going to be editable in a text editor like the ones in SMBX, or are they only able to be edited from the editor...
yes, you can do that now. last i checked the format was very similar anyway
[rimg]http://i.imgur.com/Di0suQ8.png[/rimg]
That may change. Trying to figure out how to only save essential data like the ID, X, and Y then add on any deviations from the default settings.

It would look like:

Code: Select all

[ID:14,X:123,Y:123]{R:123,G:123,IN:T}
If it was just the default settings for the block, but with changes to the R and G color values and Invisible set to true. Has the same benefit as PGE's format, and should reduce file sizes hopefully since Width and Height would only be saved if they were different from the default block's setting.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:09 pm

you could always set defaults/template a default first and then override values as needed. if a value isn't found/returns null, then set it to the default.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:19 am

How about some VSMBX spoilers?

Implementing an on the fly tile resizer. Hold control, and click n' drag to set the size of the tile. Coming in the next update.

andreepika11233
Swooper
Swooper

Postby andreepika11233 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:40 am

AeroMatter wrote:How about some VSMBX spoilers?

Implementing an on the fly tile resizer. Hold control, and click n' drag to set the size of the tile. Coming in the next update.

Good, I like that idea.
Now what's next, improved player system and player interacting with the npc ?

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:15 am

Yep, this combined with coloring should reduce the need for cgfx by a lot with gfx editing being a bit more user friendly. I think this is the limit of what I can do because other forms of graphics require style changes, and changing the actual image, which Paint.NET and other image editing software is far more efficient at.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:11 pm

More stuff for me to test! <3

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:48 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:Yep, this combined with coloring should reduce the need for cgfx by a lot with gfx editing being a bit more user friendly. I think this is the limit of what I can do because other forms of graphics require style changes, and changing the actual image, which Paint.NET and other image editing software is far more efficient at.
I agree. The editor should only be able to make minor tweaks and edits to graphics, and should rely on custom ones for full revamps. BTW, are you going to make blocks editable the same way that NPCs were in SMBX?
Yes, there's a section in the editor for it that I've been neglecting to implement.
Axiom wrote:More stuff for me to test! <3
I'll upload to git once it's not so fidgety lmao.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:25 pm

AeroMatter wrote:
Axiom wrote:More stuff for me to test! <3
I'll upload to git once it's not so fidgety lmao.
Shoot me a message on Discord when it's ready, I started school today so time is of the essence.

Xes Lana

Postby Xes Lana » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:22 am

Can someone upload VSMBX on mediafire or mega.nz? Sendspace is intentionally restricting download speed so I have to "go pro" and if you try to download their "download enhancer" it wants to install a bunch of extraneous software-- 1 of them is legit adware that I've encountered before and it's hard to remove. [Shopperz Adware, if you're curious] I made an account here more-or-less for this reason. Thank you.

EDIT: Also a couple of suggestions that SMBX didn't have;

1) When you enter a new section, any events triggered in other sections get frozen. That way if a sound is repeatedly playing in section 1 (say for a "Layer 2 smash"-type effect) it won't repeatedly play in section 2,3,etc.

2) Multiple midpoints. Could there be a single flag that just overwrites previous checkpoints? So if you get a mid-post in section 2, it'd save that location-- but even if you went to back section 1 and got another mid-post, it would overwrite the mid-post from section 2 and it'd save the position obtained through the section 1 mid-post.

Return to “Video Games”