Super Basic Mario Editor

This is the place for video games!
aero
Palom
Palom

Re: Visual Super Mario Bros. X (VSMBX) Thread

Postby aero » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:03 pm

AeroMatter wrote:How about some VSMBX spoilers?

Implementing an on the fly tile resizer. Hold control, and click n' drag to set the size of the tile. Coming in the next update.
Spoiler: show
This functionality has been switched from click and drag to customize the size of blocks, to using the scroll wheel to increase the size of the block rather than control of the dimensions. The reason for the change is so it better fits the physics set up I have and so malformed blocks can't be made.

Instead now you can scroll up to make blocks bigger, or scroll down to make blocks smaller (no less than 32x32 though). This feature can be toggled by pressing the middle mouse button to avoid accidental scrolling if your mouse or laptop mouse pad is prone to that sort of thing.
Xes Lana wrote:Can someone upload VSMBX on mediafire or mega.nz? Sendspace is intentionally restricting download speed so I have to "go pro" and if you try to download their "download enhancer" it wants to install a bunch of extraneous software-- 1 of them is legit adware that I've encountered before and it's hard to remove. [Shopperz Adware, if you're curious] I made an account here more-or-less for this reason. Thank you.
Your download speed shouldn't really be effected, use adblock to get actual messages from Sendspace and to prevent the Adware from showing up. I will be using mediafire for the next update.
Xes Lana wrote:2) Multiple midpoints. Could there be a single flag that just overwrites previous checkpoints? So if you get a mid-post in section 2, it'd save that location-- but even if you went to back section 1 and got another mid-post, it would overwrite the mid-post from section 2 and it'd save the position obtained through the section 1 mid-post.
This will be added further down the line of development.

Exiled Bowser
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Exiled Bowser » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:46 pm

Says its not a valid Win 32 application.

Edit: Nvm failed to download properly first time.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:51 pm

Due to my computer killing itself, I lost a lot of progress since my last backup. Afaik it's the backup of when I finished the fill tool.

Remember kids, backup erryday.

Kevsoft
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Kevsoft » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:57 pm

Personally I would recomment to push more to the repo, even if it is WIP: https://github.com/GhostHawk10/VSMBX-Source

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Kevsoft wrote:Personally I would recomment to push more to the repo, even if it is WIP: https://github.com/GhostHawk10/VSMBX-Source
Will be doing that now since that is the latest version now. I think I've gotten comfortable enough with git to regularly update anyway.

Exiled Bowser
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Exiled Bowser » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:33 pm

When its complete I'll be making My Episode on VSMBX. It looks great so far.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:13 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Due to my computer killing itself, I lost a lot of progress since my last backup. Afaik it's the backup of when I finished the fill tool.

Remember kids, backup erryday.
Remember kids, always git commit -a and git push

mariofan 64
Blooper
Blooper

Postby mariofan 64 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:05 pm

I downloaded this recently, a few days ago. Found many broken/nonexistent functions, like the fill tool not filling, advanced settings for blocks started to lag the whole program, can't playtest a level despite the interface being up, but still acts like it's editing. Maybe it's just me, or this should be an alpha build and not a 1.0 'beta' release. :/

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Getting this project back on the rails after a few months of hiatus for school. Done with most of my classes, so now I have all the free time in the world to get back to work with this.

I planned on having this new version be complete with new features, and patches, but I re-implemented most of the lost progress and some mentioned features will not be present until about mid-November if all goes well.

Here's is an updated version of the source code: https://github.com/GhostHawk10/VSMBX-Source-2
The project is now being developed in VS Code 2015.

EDIT: New repo should be working. I re-added resizing blocks via scrolling to test if commits will go through properly, and they do. Right now my plan is to re-patch bugs, re-add features, and then start working on camera fixes and maybe allowing the camera to emulate SMB3's style of panning.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:19 pm

Update info:

I did some work on the .vlvl format so fewer lines are used, and only essential non-default data is saved to files. The result is a steep decline in file sizes, here's a sample of the new format:

LW:800|LH:608 - Level Width, and Height
OE:False|WR:False|NB:False|UW:False - Level Settings
P1:0, 0, 0, 0|P2:0, 0, 0, 0 - Player Spawn locations
T:300|GL:12|B:100|BG:0,0|MU:0 - Other level settings
*BLOCKS*
ID:14|IT:0|X:448|Y:160 - Only essential data saved
ID:14|IT:0|X:416|Y:160
ID:14|IT:0|X:416|Y:192
ID:14|IT:0|X:448|Y:192
ID:14|IT:0|X:512|Y:160|W:64|H:64 - Essential data + changed width and height of a block
ID:14|IT:0|X:160|Y:320|W:64|H:64|G:0|B:0 - Essential data + changed width, height, and color of a block
ID:14|IT:0|X:256|Y:320|W:64|H:64|R:0|B:0
ID:14|IT:0|X:352|Y:320|W:64|H:64|R:0|G:0

Should be very similar to PGE's lvlx format, so compatibility work will be easier. The major differences as of now is that PGE saves more block data than it needs to (width and height since the default size is 32x32), and PGE uses different tags and separators. As work progresses, basically all of the header data before *BLOCKS* tag can be done away with so that only changed data will be written there as well.

GreenyNeko
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby GreenyNeko » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:37 pm

9. New lines cost 1 Byte per line
10. Naming each attribute inside of the save file costs name length * byte bytes per line
11. Even if it's more difficult to modify a save file, save files should always be at minimum size.
12. if possible save in bytes instead of strings makes save files even smaller.

This is what I mean:

Pilzinsel64
Rex
Rex

Postby Pilzinsel64 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:03 am

I think you can stop with your work:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/Collected ... X%201.4.1/
Finaly it does function. Please try to make your vsmbx betther then smbx1.4.1. :)

zxcv
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: They/She

Postby zxcv » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:25 am

SMBX 1.4 has a lot of bugs and the physics are strange. I'm sure that if AeroMatter put effort in VSMBX, it will be better than SMBX 1.4.

Pilzinsel64
Rex
Rex

Postby Pilzinsel64 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:54 am

Sure, but at the moment smbx 1.4.1 is newer and have anyway more function and realy nice items.
Later ...
Later, when vsmbx is useable then we can talk about "what is better".

On the other hand ... if anybody can find the vb code of smb 1.4.1, he can fix the bugs and add more functions.

(Sorry, my Englisch ist realy bad :/)

Pilzinsel64
Rex
Rex

Postby Pilzinsel64 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:58 am

Everyday when the guy 38A doung some fixes, he uploads updates to his pan-baidu cloud disk, and he notifying me about this update, then Wholstand reuploading that to public archives.

I think we don't need VSMBX. I use SMBX 1.4.1 every day. Realy i found not so mutch bugs yet.

For people who like to test smbx 1.4.1:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/Collected ... låkåokopok
Btw: The downloadlinks on this page will update when wholestand uploads a update.

Yesterday he sent update which I have been re-uploaded:
- Fixed bug causes accidental damages of some SMBX64-based levels with decimal layer-motions (it automatically converts all SMBX1..64 levels into SMBX65-38A, but here was a bug which gave a crashing result. Bug appeared on my machine where decimal comma is standard).
- MSCOMCTL.OCX no more needed, it was been removed from archive
- GdiPlus.dll has been removed, because it no more required too. Instead of it FreeImage has been used

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:21 am

Pilzinsel64 wrote:Everyday when the guy 38A doung some fixes, he uploads updates to his pan-baidu cloud disk, and he notifying me about this update, then Wholstand reuploading that to public archives.

I think we don't need VSMBX. I use SMBX 1.4.1 every day. Realy i found not so mutch bugs yet.

Btw: The downloadlinks on this page will update when wholestand uploads a update.

- Fixed bug causes accidental damages of some SMBX64-based levels with decimal layer-motions (it automatically converts all SMBX1..64 levels into SMBX65-38A, but here was a bug which gave a crashing result. Bug appeared on my machine where decimal comma is standard).
- GdiPlus.dll has been removed, because it no more required too. Instead of it FreeImage has been used
You can't come in someone else's thread and advertise stuff.

zxcv
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: They/She

Postby zxcv » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:51 am

Pilzinsel64 wrote:Everyday when the guy 38A doung some fixes, he uploads updates to his pan-baidu cloud disk, and he notifying me about this update, then Wholstand reuploading that to public archives.

We need VSMBX. Why? Because the more, the better.

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:38 pm

2.0 is going to comeing, better than 1.4.1!

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:42 pm

Cedrik wrote:2.0 is going to comeing, better than 1.4.1!
It's nothing to compare, because there are too different things and both are great!

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:43 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Cedrik wrote:2.0 is going to comeing, better than 1.4.1!
It's nothing to compare, because there are too different things and both are great!
Fun fact: 1.4.1<2

Return to “Video Games”