aero
Palom
Palom

Super Basic Mario Editor

Postby aero » Tue May 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Super Basic Mario Editor

Super Basic Mario Editor Beta 1.0

Github: https://github.com/GhostHawk10/Super-Basic-Mario-Editor

This project just took the old code from VSMBX and just reworked it into something more manageable and functional. It's intended to just break off from the old project and have a different scope. The idea is to just have an easy to use editor to make Mario levels. That means the scope of this will not include a game engine, graphic editing, or various built-in functions like npc customization and so on. There's better dedicated tools for sprites, or virtually any text editor for configs. All of that has been scrapped from what was in VSMBX, as well as more unnecessary functionality. Also unlike VSMBX, the goal isn't to fork SMBX with another editor version. A lot will still be borrowed from SMBX's legacy editor however there will be major design changes. For now PGE configs are being used as a placeholder for editor objects, but full compatibility with PGE, prior SMBX versions, and non-SMBX editors like 38A are planned.

Big disclaimer: This editor is a hobby project and not meant to replace any existing editors. A lot is still broken, messy, incomplete, and will produce unexpected results.
Last edited by aero on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Re: Visual Super Mario Bros. X (VSMBX) Thread

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 pm

If you don't plan on making this compatible with SMBX, then why are you using masks? As opposed to PNG files or transparent GIFs.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Tue May 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Joey wrote:If you don't plan on making this compatible with SMBX, then why are you using masks? As opposed to PNG files or transparent GIFs.
It's mostly for file size, and the fact all of the content I'm using is from SMBX which uses masks. It's a bit lazy sure, but it's a lot simpler and efficient than remaking each of the graphics. I could change my mind about that though, but as of now it's easier this way.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Wed May 21, 2014 12:01 am

So progress is actually being made on this? That's great! It'd be really cool to finally see a real successor to SMBX. I'm impressed, seriously. You're pretty great, GhostHawk.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed May 21, 2014 12:13 am

Thank you, means a lot Pseudo-dino! :)

Megar
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Megar » Wed May 21, 2014 3:04 am

Looks very accurate. I'm looking forward to seeing if this gets finished because it looks really good so far.

ragont
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Postby ragont » Wed May 21, 2014 3:32 am

GhostHawk wrote: I also plan to add a "Safe-Mode" check box that prevents you from filling your level on accident when using the fill tool. Instead, you will only fill the screen with the block if you mess up.
how about just an undo button

or does that have about the same amount of possibility as a starman happening in vb?

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Wed May 21, 2014 4:27 am

If you're making this in .NET why not give it a more modern look? The controls look really outdated. Other than that, it's pretty great. Good luck!

sleepy
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby sleepy » Wed May 21, 2014 8:57 am

Looks great.
But referring to your Q&A..
Q&A wrote:Why are you even bothering? These projects always fail anyway.
That's because the people who have attempted to recreate it (ex. NSMBX, SMBX:R) don't know shit about coding.

I'd be glad to help you, but VB is not my coding language :P C and C++ is, sorry.

Goodluck with it, though!

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Wed May 21, 2014 9:01 am

Wow this looks interesting. I hope this doesn't get canceled like other SMBX versions

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Wed May 21, 2014 10:21 am

...safe mode?
what?

huh

Postby huh » Wed May 21, 2014 12:53 pm

This is something i would like to see,and ye,remaking each thing is gonna take time,good luck with this mann.

One day ill fucking get my ass up and start learning to program again

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed May 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Raster wrote:If you're making this in .NET why not give it a more modern look? The controls look really outdated. Other than that, it's pretty great. Good luck!
The reason it looks outdated is that it's supposed to use XP visual styles because there is a significant performance drop when used, and this is the same theme that SMBX uses.
Darkonius Mavakar wrote:...safe mode?
what?
If you've ever accidentally filled a level in SMBX with a block when you only meant to fill a small area this is what that is for. In SMBX if you left a gap by mistake in a small chunk of land and used the fill tool, you would either have to delete all the extra tiles in the level or open your most recent save and lose some progress. Safe Mode would make it so that tiles can only be filled in the section of the level that is currently on-screen.
Ragont™ wrote:
GhostHawk wrote: I also plan to add a "Safe-Mode" check box that prevents you from filling your level on accident when using the fill tool. Instead, you will only fill the screen with the block if you mess up.
how about just an undo button

or does that have about the same amount of possibility as a starman happening in vb?
I guess I could do that, it's definitely not impossible just impractical. I have been thinking of this but I'm just not sure how I could fit it into the level editor.

Thank you everyone for taking interest! Development will carry on (more so since I'm on break from school) and I'll keep my first post and signature updated with progress as it happens. Thanks.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Wed May 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Afterwards, when your done, can we have a source code?

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed May 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Murphmario wrote:Afterwards, when your done, can we have a source code?
Sure, I don't see why not. Besides it doesn't matter because anyone can get it if they know how to work a decompiler. :p

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Wed May 21, 2014 4:16 pm

GhostHawk wrote:
Sure, I don't see why not. Besides it doesn't matter because anyone can get it if they know how to work a decompiler. :p
Well, depends. .NET code is easy to reassemble because we have tools like Reflector but the Source Code would be a lot easier to comprehend.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Wed May 21, 2014 4:22 pm

GhostHawk wrote:
If that were true Wouldnt we have the SMBX source code?

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed May 21, 2014 4:27 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:
GhostHawk wrote:
If that were true Wouldnt we have the SMBX source code?
Not quite. SMBX was made with VB6 which can't be decompiled like other languages can since the exe does not contain the source code.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed May 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Finished adding all of the tiles from SMBX today. Here's a quick look at the current design of the Blocks and Tiles window. Now to start the BGOs sometime tomorrow. .-.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Wed May 21, 2014 10:38 pm

Do you plan to add some extra blocks made by some other people? Like for example, there are no 32x64 slopes for the lower part of the SMW Grass tiles, you have to use custom graphics. Like, do you plan to add extra parts for those to appears as default?

Return to “Video Games”