Inclusivity Suggestions

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
aero
Palom
Palom

Inclusivity Suggestions

Postby aero » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:57 am

This is a thread for suggestions focused on making the SMBX community more inclusive. If you have an idea to make the forums, or chat more inclusive this is a dedicated place to do so. The creation of this thread is part of an effort to allow people who have been marginalized to freely and openly participate in the community and give them more of a say.

More information can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=26608#p381883

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Re: Inclusivity Suggestions

Postby Marina » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:25 am

One thing I think is worth considering is a pronoun field on profiles and a role on Discord. We are quite the large community and it's hard to keep track of everyone's pronouns, especially when a lot of people are around an age where they question their identity.
I feel it would help bring more visibility and normalization to the table as well as improve conversation if you don't have to constantly dig through posts to find out what someone was last referred to as.

This would be entirely optional, as we do not want to endanger people's privacy. But those who are able to and want to should be able to display their pronouns. Thoughts?

Panda
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: 1453 worst year of life
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Panda » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:27 am

i fully agree with Aristo's suggestion! :)

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:45 am

talkhaus has had this as an option for like 5 years at this point I don't see why we wouldn't do the same

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:58 pm

Having a pronoun field would be lovely.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:25 pm

A profile field for gender pronouns is now available on the forum. I'll see about getting a bot for the Discord and getting that done soon.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Why not just three toggeable options "male", "female", "other"?

Marina
Cecil
Cecil

Postby Marina » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:43 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Because "other" is not a gender and we want to be inclusive not make people tick a box.
Also none of these options tell you what pronouns a person is addressed by.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:53 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:17 pm
Those aren't pronouns.

Also just so it's clear for everyone, misuse of this field would be a violation of rule 1. Use it for pronouns, and not anything else including "jokes."

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:59 am

One point I'd like to mention is the "divide" between the main SMBX community and the Novaverse. I'm not going into depth with this, but the whole tension around NVS really needs to die down. There's a whole chunk of innocent users there who feel pressured and uneasy about posting their content and showcasing stuff on the forums / discord. It's unfair on them when this was only caused by the actions of one individual.
Not sure what can be done to make those users feel more included in the main community but I for one don't want them to continue feeling separated.
Other issues that branch from this are: disallowing particular groups of users to use assets (or, more generally, exclusivity), metaphorical battleground between sub-communities, even the SMBX community itself which is becoming more and more decentralised.
I'm hoping we can change our ways in future, move on from the past and try to fix these divides and tensions and whatnot. After all, this is a community which is supposed to be dedicated to a Mario Fangame, and if everyone atleast tried to get along then that would make everything just a little more positive overall.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:20 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:59 am
One point I'd like to mention is the "divide" between the main SMBX community and the Novaverse. I'm not going into depth with this, but the whole tension around NVS really needs to die down. There's a whole chunk of innocent users there who feel pressured and uneasy about posting their content and showcasing stuff on the forums / discord. It's unfair on them when this was only caused by the actions of one individual.
Not sure what can be done to make those users feel more included in the main community but I for one don't want them to continue feeling separated.
Other issues that branch from this are: disallowing particular groups of users to use assets (or, more generally, exclusivity), metaphorical battleground between sub-communities, even the SMBX community itself which is becoming more and more decentralised.
I'm hoping we can change our ways in future, move on from the past and try to fix these divides and tensions and whatnot. After all, this is a community which is supposed to be dedicated to a Mario Fangame, and if everyone atleast tried to get along then that would make everything just a little more positive overall.
This seems like a novaverse problem.

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:58 am

I wonder if things like that are going to end in the future, it might turn off people when they see two communities fighting and badmouthing each other.

Maybe it’s possible to find a solution, after all peace has been made with the 38A community as well.

Marina
Cecil
Cecil

Postby Marina » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:56 pm

Idunn wrote: I wonder if things like that are going to end in the future, it might turn off people when they see two communities fighting and badmouthing each other.

Maybe it’s possible to find a solution, after all peace has been made with the 38A community as well.
I've not seen any badmouthing happen from either side.

Either way, unless there are any actual suggestions to be made, I'd like for this thread to get back on track.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:32 pm

This thread is for making the SMBX community inclusive to people belonging to marginalized groups. This is not a thread about petty and imagined conflicts between SMBX and other communities. Suggestions to make the community more welcoming and accommodating to members of marginalized groups is what is in focus here. Going forward, off-topic posts will be removed and warnings/bans will be given as needed.

To spell it out, if a suggestion doesn't pertain to making SMBX more accepting of racial minorities, LGBT people, people with disabilities, or any other group that has been historically victimized or is part of a protected class then it doesn't belong in this thread.

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby AirSeus » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:38 am

Would it be possible for users to be able to choose what colour the SMB3 block text box backgrounds could be? As someone who has been affected by fucked vision for my entire life, the white backgrounds make it quite hard to concentrate on the text inside, especially during the earlier hours of the morning.

EDIT:
An example would be like how the blocks on the main forum pages are blue instead of white, options to do things like that instead of a pure white block.

Knux
Nipper
Nipper
Pronouns: she/they

Postby Knux » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:42 am

Aero wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:32 pm
people with disabilities
Can we remove the flashing spinning shell rank on behalf of epileptic members?

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:28 pm

Knux wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:42 am
Aero wrote:
people with disabilities
+1
I recommend changing to Charging Chuck.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:42 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:28 pm
Knux wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:42 am
Aero wrote:
people with disabilities
+1
I recommend changing to Charging Chuck.
Made a gif for that scenario real quick.

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:21 am

I support Knux idea, iirc Knux already once asked that but the idea was rejected back then.

I think it’s important to think of epileptic people when it comes to a rank like that.

Edit: Also supporting the Charging Chuck Idea

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:01 am

I changed it temporarily to SMB3 Boo because control over ranks is bizarrely limited for admins. Quill will need to upload the Charging Chuck gif because the one we have is ironically about 100x faster than the one Enjl posted.

Also I would like to note that part of the reason why the idea was rejected before was because the image was small enough that it wouldn't cause issues related to epilepsy. This isn't to dismiss concerns for people who may have seizures triggered by flashing images, as this is going by official W3C guidelines on the matter that discuss this and can be found here: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-gener ... thresholds

The rank, among others, however does need to be replaced because many of them are animated and not necessary which poses issues for motion sickness. https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understan ... tions.html

I think if we're going to have ranks it would be best if ranks were small and static icons to avoid any health risks or distractions.

Return to “Site Discussion”