Inclusivity Suggestions

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Inclusivity Suggestions

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:08 am

I personally think that we should keep these special ranks.
I don't mind if they become stationary but I want SMBX NPCs and Yoshi eggs to stay. Halving their height and width (as these ranks use 2×2 pixels anyway so it wouldn't even hurt too much if their sizes were halved in both dimensions) along with having them as stationary images would be pretty neat.

I just think that ranks are a really cute addition which make the forums stand out compared to other forums.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:36 pm

I agree with this

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:26 am

ShadowStarX wrote:I just think that ranks are a really cute addition which make the forums stand out compared to other forums.

That's what I've been trying to say several times :P

also since report reasons were brought up in the initial announcement: "bumping" is missing, but "questioning staff beyond reason" is barely happening and quite a needless category imo. Bumping is not explained in the rules either. And finally I think the rules should be shown to everyone before registering.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:19 am

I wanted to bring up rule 6 as I think it needs some rephrasing.
Forum rules wrote:6. English/Common posting habits - Use proper English when posting. Posts should be clear and follow basic grammar rules, have correct spelling, and should not contain excessive punctuation. It is recommended to use a browser with spell check. Also, avoid chain posting multiple times in a row. Use the edit button instead of making a chain post. This applies unless you are posting to update a thread, or bumping a thread with new information.
I think the first part in bold should be rephrased as it can come across as ableist, and prescriptivist. Cutting out the vague word "proper" would be an improvement. As for the "follow basic grammar rules, have correct spelling" part it would be better to just specifically not allow 1337 speak and indecipherable/shitpost type of writing. I think basing the forum's writing standards on the w3's accessibility guidelines for clear and concise content would be the best option.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:31 am

Would it make sense to add a Language forum? With subforums for common languages such as French, Spanish, etc.
This would allow people who don't speak English, but still play SMBX, to use the forums without worrying about Google Translate messing their conversations up.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:33 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:31 am
Would it make sense to add a Language forum? With subforums for common languages such as French, Spanish, etc.
This would allow people who don't speak English, but still play SMBX, to use the forums without worrying about Google Translate messing their conversations up.
The problem with language-specific forums, historically, has been that there are not enough speakers of any single language to populate a forum section, nor is anyone in the staff necessarily qualified to moderate such a forum.

I think this is unlikely to have changed since the previous times it was discussed.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:46 pm

Yeah, it would be both inactive and difficult to moderate. Being an English only forum isn't the best possible thing, but it's the only feasible option. I just wanted to put a focus on the rule coming across as ableist and prescriptivist.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FutureNyanCat » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:13 am

I think the forum rules could emphasize on trigger warnings, such as mild blood, body horror, epilepsy/eyestrain, etc. In that case, it should be recommended to add a rule on how trigger warnings should be handled through spoiler tags in a much similar fashion to most Discord servers, that applies to both the forum and the SMBX Discord.

This is especially for most users, including friends of mine, who are sensitive to content like these, both on the forums and on the SMBX Discord.

Return to “Site Discussion”