[NPC Pack] Spawners (Fish, Bullet, Boohemoth)

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

[NPC Pack] Spawners (Fish, Bullet, Boohemoth)

Postby Emral » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:32 am

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VeuA8d ... sp=sharing

With Boohemoth, one point we in the SMBX2 team kept coming back to was that of how the NPC interacts with the camera. If it steals the section bounds, what will happen to a second player? What about multiple Boohemoths? Stuff like that.
At some point I decided to trial a system I've seen for some unique elements in SMW. They created spawner objects that set specific game flags when they spawn. It felt appropriate for Boohemoth, as it would seamlessly allow them to be chained together, fading one out when the next one comes in.
While making that system I decided to also implement the Bullet Bill and Cheep Cheep spawners, since they were fairly easy to create.

Note: This version of Boohemoth does not yet work in multiplayer. The problem is that SMBX's camera system is a bit of a nightmare when split. If split, Player 1 always has Camera 1 and Player 2 always has Camera 2, but when Player 1 dies, Camera 2 becomes Camera 1 and moves to Player 2's position, and I haven't yet found a good way to make the code react to that, to ensure Camera 2 doesn't suddenly co-opt Camera 1's boohemoth and fail to move towards Player 2. Ideally, each camera would have its own boohemoth that can only affect and react to the player of that camera. For basegame inclusion I will take care of that eventually, but if anyone else wants to give this a shot, I would also appreciate that.

Usage:
Dunk all in level folder. There are extra settings that determine the spawner behaviour.

Return to “LunaLua”