[Demo] The Cliche Adventure

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
TheEeveeLovers
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: EeveeLover
Pronouns: He/him

[Demo] The Cliche Adventure

Postby TheEeveeLovers » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:21 am

Version 1 revision 1 images

Known issues:
All caused by inconsistencies between the target of SMBX 1.3 and TheXTech (In strict 1.3 compatibility mode) used for testing
Intro Castle: Weird text spacing - Intended: New line | Result: Mid-line tab.
Intro Castle & Factory: "Read" and "Talk" text sprite with broken hinting - Intended: Grayscale hinting | Result: mostly yellow "hinting" (Won't fix, barely noticeable)
Factory: Glitchy fan - Intended: upward fan that is static. | Result: horizontal fan that has a very glitchy animation.
Goomba Plains 3: Black rectangle in front of the doors of the castle at the end - Intended: Transparent rectangle | Result: black rectangle

Download Version 1, revision 1
https://www.mediafire.com/file/yqh5ozna ... n1.7z/file

The SMBX2 version (with improvements) is no longer coming soon due to the drive containing it breaking. I now plan on improving the SMBX1 version instead until I get the drive fixed.

Old versions
Spoiler: show
Version 1 image
Download version 1 at http://www.mediafire.com/file/57mmv459z ... re.7z/file
Support this episode with this signature

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&p=380799&t=26486#p380799][img]https://fontmeme.com/permalink/201202/c0d4a9e8758ce2bda61119321065b2b0.png[/img][/url]
This is a preview of it Image
Last edited by TheEeveeLovers on Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Re: [Demo] The Cliche Adventure

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:43 pm

What do you mean PGE version coming soon?

Also that's Larry and not Iggy.

Played the Demo was only 2 minutes so here's a short review of what i think about it. Might be a bit harsh and rude though!
All the levels i played in this Demo, look like they were made without any care to them.. it's just a bunch of stuff from the editor selected and throwed into it and someone called it a Day.
This might come off rude to you now, but did you put any effort into making this?

Okay let's start:

Peach's Castle: There is nothing really going on here except that you can get softlocked when you take the SMB3 Goal because the Player is unable to exit the screen. I've also cheated myself a leaf to see if the Key does anything but no.. it's just for decoration as it doesn't lead to anywhere so why put it in the Demo when it does nothing?

Zentimax Factory: There's just a bunch of stuff thrown together, the level was made without love or any thought into it just random stuff put into it.. the smb1 goomba are set to friendly while the other goombas die upon spawning. Oddly you save Luigi in this, even though you did nothing to save him, all you did was walk by some friendly npcs and that's it. Also again that is Larry Koopa and not Iggy.

Goomba Plains 1-3:

So Goomba Plains 1 is just really short and bad, random goomba stuff is spawning everywhere and shells are being randomly generated that can even bounce you in the water and kill you into the spikes. Yeah that's 1 theres the exit right there.

2 isn't gonna be better, Goombas spawn from the doors and can hurt and even kill you so you gotta jump around the door, the two goomba generator on the pipe is bad as well since it gives little time to go without hurting yourself. At the end Peach just stands there randomly and now you can play her.

3 isn't any different, you start waiting for the platforms to come back to go through a pipe hit a checkpoint 20 seconds after the start and then dodge goombas again and you can enter one of the pipes get some coins get out and that's it.

The Castle level isn't even a Castle.. it has the same Goombas spawning from doors problem again, and yet again that's Larry not Iggy. Nothing more to say here.

Also pls explain how a Player is getting out of the Stress Level again, there is no exit just a 1-UP Farm since every NPC dies by colliding into each other.

And yeah that's it the Demo is done in like 2 Minutes already...

One thing, a player can choose any char he want's to play but is then forced to Play Mario or else they can't advance. So why not disable this? You can do so in the World Map Editor since you clearly made this with 1.3 as all the stuff is registered with an X in PGE.

It's a pretty bad Demo I'm sorry but again the levels really give me the Vibe that you just put some stuff together and called it a day.. I Know i'm not one who should say this as my own are considered trash by people Sooo don't go this way like i did and try to make some nice looking levels.

Maybe looking around the levels forum or playing some good episodes helps you.. maybe even some smbx videos on YouTube.

Wiimeiser
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: What?

Postby Wiimeiser » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:49 am

Okay, I don't know how dying in the castle puts me on the pipe three tiles further right. How did you break the game that badly for that to happen?

EDIT: There's also a place where you can become softlocked between two pipes that are too tall to jump up.

EDIT2: Why the heck does the castle set you to 768,256? Why would you even do that? Did you even test this?

TheEeveeLovers
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: EeveeLover
Pronouns: He/him

Postby TheEeveeLovers » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:02 pm

Sonya Sanchez wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:43 pm
What do you mean PGE version coming soon?
This was made in X1. PGE is the wrong word, since it is an editor, and it embarasses me to say that it took a little over 2 years after the posting of this topic for me to just now realize that it should be SMBX2. The X2 version was meant to bring improvements, before my system drive had the SATA-power port break and I lost my work.

Return to “Episodes”