(NPC Request) Stretch Blocks

Post here for help and support regarding LunaLua and SMBX2's libraries and features.
ShadowLabrys101
Bit
Bit

(NPC Request) Stretch Blocks

Postby ShadowLabrys101 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Can someone make Stretch Blocks as a NPC?

Here's some reference from the Super Mario Wiki:
https://www.mariowiki.com/Stretch_Block

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: (NPC Request) Stretch Blocks

Postby Fuyu » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:54 pm

You can make that in vanilla with no cool and epic luafications through events and layers. Lua can also help with it making it more precise, but it's not really needed.

FireSeraphim
Bit
Bit
Flair: Verified Professional Vampire Hunter

Postby FireSeraphim » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:13 pm

I double this request. Stretch blocks really should have been base game and having to make a thousand events for a few stretch blocks is tedious and the SMBX community would be better served if stretch blocks were a basegame npc. So please try not be so quick to dismiss this request, Fuyu. Just because it technically can be done in a hacky workaround doesn't mean that it's convenient nor does it mean it could've been done in a better and less hacky manner.

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:41 pm

I third this. I've heard that it might be a difficult NPC to make but if it gets added then a ton of new setups would be available.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:50 am

FireSeraphim wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:13 pm
I double this request. Stretch blocks really should have been base game and having to make a thousand events for a few stretch blocks is tedious and the SMBX community would be better served if stretch blocks were a basegame npc. So please try not be so quick to dismiss this request, Fuyu. Just because it technically can be done in a hacky workaround doesn't mean that it's convenient nor does it mean it could've been done in a better and less hacky manner.
Ah yes, a thousand. Move in, stay, move out, stay.
Can you elaborate on what part of this is hacky which you would want a NPC implementation to fix? I'm curious. Currently I'm not sure whether making it as NPCs wouldn't introduce jank rather than remove it from the method that worked for the past decade.

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: How much munchers?
Pronouns: he/him

Postby MrDoubleA » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:59 am

Enjl wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:50 am
FireSeraphim wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:13 pm
Ah yes, a thousand. Move in, stay, move out, stay.
Can you elaborate on what part of this is hacky which you would want a NPC implementation to fix? I'm curious. Currently I'm not sure whether making it as NPCs wouldn't introduce jank rather than remove it from the method that worked for the past decade.
You do, indeed, need a bunch of events since all 4 move blocks need to move at different speeds and you can only move one layer at a time. Once you do set it up, though, it's a copy-paste job. Still, it'd be a neat custom NPC, albeit probably not as a basegame one.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:05 am

MrDoubleA wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:59 am
You do, indeed, need a bunch of events since all 4 move blocks need to move at different speeds and you can only move one layer at a time. Once you do set it up, though, it's a copy-paste job. Still, it'd be a neat custom NPC, albeit probably not as a basegame one.
Ah, I forgot about the event speed restriction. My mind's too infected by just being able to set layer speeds in a coroutine... Sorry about that!

SpoonyBardOL
Swooper
Swooper

Postby SpoonyBardOL » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:18 pm

Regarding doing this vanilla, I remember trying to do just that pre-X2 and ran into a problem whenever the blocks were moving horizontally. The player would get stuck in them and zip along their surface thanks to good ol' vanilla SMBX layer and collision detection.

Not sure if that specific sort of collision jank has been addressed since then or not, but that might be one reason why such an obvious addition hasn't been done before now.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:33 pm

SpoonyBardOL wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:18 pm
Regarding doing this vanilla, I remember trying to do just that pre-X2 and ran into a problem whenever the blocks were moving horizontally. The player would get stuck in them and zip along their surface thanks to good ol' vanilla SMBX layer and collision detection.

Not sure if that specific sort of collision jank has been addressed since then or not, but that might be one reason why such an obvious addition hasn't been done before now.
It hasn't been addressed basegame yet, but antizip.lua does fix it.

TheGameyFireBro105
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: Good at remakes

Postby TheGameyFireBro105 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:15 am

Someone made easy firebars, so making easy stretch blocks would be the next step.

DisasterMaster
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby DisasterMaster » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:26 pm

I didn't make it as an NPC...far from it. But I did create a level in which you can just copy and paste both the vertical and horizontal moving versions wherever you'd like in it. Hope it will help.

Download Here
SpoonyBardOL wrote: Regarding doing this vanilla, I remember trying to do just that pre-X2 and ran into a problem whenever the blocks were moving horizontally. The player would get stuck in them and zip along their surface thanks to good ol' vanilla SMBX layer and collision detection.

To keep this from happening I made the horizontal version into 2 block-types, a 32x32 and 31x32. The 32x32 is the center, so when standing on the expanded 31x32s you'll retract until back on the central 32x32 block, after which you won't move. It's a jank workaround, but it keeps you from being thrown around on retraction.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:52 pm

Return to “LunaLua Help”